Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1509

Thread: Fic ideas V.2

This is my idea for a Fanfic , any comments are welcome :

The story follows a young pokemon researcher called Anna , who is around 18-21 years old and a Battle Frontier champion known as Zoe , both wanting to pursue their respective dreams(having Anna's works published by the famous Professor Oak and Zoe , becoming a world-renowned skilful Pokemon trainer) with their two friends , Kanto Grand Festival winner , Luke and Zoe's younger brother , Tyler who idolises his big sister.The story will dive deep into the mythos filled Lian Region ,with land still being re-built after the tragedy that is the Kanto/Johto Wars and a mysterious woman named Athia , who has a mysterious connection with Latios and Latias .
    Last edited by Happy Hydreigon; 6th December 2014 at 9:38 AM.
    Nintendo Fanboy, especially for Pokémon, Fire Emblem & Splatoon.

FC:1693-1645-5618
    NNID: Hazza2001
    Twitter: @HappyHawlucha
    My Tumblr, where I discuss Nintendo-y things!: www.tumblr.com/blog/happy-hawlucha

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hydreigon View Post
    (having Anna's works published by the famous Professor Oak
    Side note! If you're a scientist (which researchers are), you don't get published by a professor; you get published by a science journal. Professors publish their own works. There's such a thing as peer reviewing, though, but keep in mind that it's not done the same way as reviewing fanfiction. Definitely do your own research (no pun intended) into how the process works if you'd like to write a scientist character. You don't really have to get all of the details down accurately, but some details might actually help develop Anna more and keep her from becoming just another trainer with slightly different goals from her friend.

Also, what does she research? This is definitely an important point to keep in mind, especially since despite the fact that "Pokémon researcher" is a very broad term, a lot of them research very specific concepts. For example, Professor Oak's expertise the relationship between humans and Pokémon, so while he may be happy to see and help a fellow researcher, that researcher's work might not be a field Oak has spent that much time or invested that much interest in studying. However, Professor Juniper, whose expertise is the origins of Pokémon, might be more interested in Anna's work if it has a lot to do with the lore of her own region (as Pokémon lore tends to say a lot about where different regions' Pokémon came from). I'm of course not trying to say that Anna's working with the lore of Lian. I'm just saying what she's trying to study specifically is going to be a very important point and may influence which professor she wants to look up to.

I know that I spent a lot of time talking about Anna, but I have to admit she's probably the part that needs the most comment on. The rest sounds a bit like a standard game or trainer fic plot. You have a bunch of people going on a journey through a region. There's probably going to be an evil team who attempts to mess with the legendaries, hence why the main characters will learn a lot about the regional lore. Most likely, they'll eventually save the world from destruction with the help of said legendary and/or the mysterious woman Athia. I'm not saying it's necessarily going to be a bad fic, of course. Just that it's been done, so there's not much to say about it. It could be good or bad, depending on how well you write it and how much of an effort to make your region and its lore and your cast work.

Granted, I'm a little curious as to why you pulled Anna and Zoe out of the group to talk about them when they're traveling with an entire group. That says there are plot threads here beyond "Anna wants to write something Professor Oak will look at" and "Zoe wants to train." If so, it'd be cool to hear a bit about those, as those will be important to the story and will actually add more depth to the plot than what you've got right now. If not, then why single them out? Do Luke and Tyler not pursue their own dreams? If so, why are they traveling with Zoe and Anna, if that journey doesn't allow them to go after their own goals? Do the boys have any particular goals in mind? This goes especially for Tyler, who doesn't seem to have any defined position in this fic at all besides "Zoe's brother, who idolizes his sister." Is he a trainer? Will we see a badge quest? Or is he like Bonnie, who's more like a cheerleader of the group? If so, given that Zoe's trying to become a powerful, world-renowned trainer, wouldn't the fact that he's not necessarily equipped to deal with the kinds of dangers Zoe might be after in order to get stronger and better hinder the group?

For that matter, it's really important to know what Anna studies and whether or not she trains that heavily as well (or if she's more of a bookish character who doesn't train). The reason why is because while we don't know what Anna's goals are (because that would be implied by what she's trying to study), we do know that Zoe wants to be a powerful trainer. That goal will take Zoe to places where there are powerful Pokémon or trainers because her goal will hinge heavily on her attempting to get stronger and better. But! Not all environments with stronger Pokémon or trainers is a friendly one to everyone; that's why Victory Road isn't accessible if you don't have all eight badges. So what I'm saying is that Anna's goals might be incompatible with Zoe's because where Zoe will go may have nothing to do with what Anna wants to study, and that's something to think about as well.

Point is, it's a start, but there are definitely things here worth thinking about. Good luck!

I have a fic idea based around an episode of the first season of the anime,"School of Hard Knocks!".In the episode,there is supposedly a private school called Pokémon Tech,where you went to learn about the ways of a pokémon trainer without having to journey around to collect badges.

my fic would follow Torian,a 12 year old who is the son of an accomplished pokémon trainer who graduated from Pokémon Tech,and a pokémon breeder.Because he never wanted to become a trainer,he always came up with an excuse to not leave on a journey,despite his parent's wishes.Why?When he was little,he had a bad experience with pokémon,and because of that he dislikes,even fears pokémon.But he never told his parents because he didn't want to dissapoint them.So he goes along with the idea of attending the school,and has to deal with several challenges while attending it and at the same time adjust to being around pokémon again.
    Pikachu,The world's most electrifying pokémon.Shocking,isn't it?

I'm halfway through a Pokemon/Naruto/Kingdom Hearts crossover and I'm not sure how to end or continue with it. It's the final part of a trilogy which is set in a medieval AU where the main religion is The Church Of Arceus.

Iris is the queen of Unova and Johto. She is married to Cilan and has three children from other marriages. Her cousins are the infamous Itachi and Sasuke Uchiha. Her relationship with them is tense because before she married Cilan, she caught Itachi's family eating a dragonite which caused her lose her baby from the trauma. Eating a pokemon is illegal and her husband at the time ordered that all of the Uchiha clan were to be executed as well as any one who practised sports and activities that excluded pokemon.

Trying to avenge their unborn child, Iris' first husband orders that all ninjas, digimon tamers and duellists where to be executed. However, many including Itachi and Sasuke managed to escape to Hoenn and rebuild their home in Hyrule which at the time, Norman the King of Hoenn owned.

Sakura, Sasuke's wife was not so lucky. She was caught and captured. Sasuke wants to divorce her, but his brother is against the idea. He knows that the only way to set Sakura free is for her to get pregnant. Since the marriage is strained, he knows that there is little chance of Sakura being pregnant already. So Itachi takes his chance and sleeps with his sister-in-law in prison.

Queen Iris eventually agrees to release Sakura. And Itachi's plan works, Sakura gets pregnant and she comes to Hoenn. Sasuke can no longer continue with his divorce proceedings as under Hoenn law, a child cannot be born out of wedlock. So Sakura and Sasuke remain married.

Sakura gives birth to Itachi's child and it is a call and she's called Ruco. A couple of years after Ruco is born, Sakura gives birth to Sasuke's daughter, Sarada. While Sakura's daughters are growing up, Itachi becomes a priest and eventually becomes a cardinal.

The only people know the truth about Ruco, other than Sakura and Itachi is Kakashi, Sakura's tutor. People and especially Ruco wonder why Sasuke always favours Sarada. Ruco's main goal is to make her father proud, so she leaves home and comes back in the second chapter of Once Upon A Heavy Crown.

In the first chapter of the story, Itachi tells King Cilan that he is Ruco's father, that he killed King Kamon, and that he was in love with his sister-in-law. Itachi believes that he can trust him and that they can become friends. But it backfires, Cilan turns bitter and paranoid. Then when Itachi is elected as the new pope, Cilan leaves Unova with a witch called Naminé.

Naminé can grant any wish, but cannot bring harm to The Pope of his family. But asking Naminé for wishes come at a big price which is losing something precious to you. In the fic's prequel, The Other King, Giovanni used Naminé to make both his sons, and eventually himself kings. But in the end, his youngest son gets killed and Giovanni dies as king, but his death is unhappy. Cilan's wish is to avoid Itachi at all costs which has cost Cilan his sanity.

Iris believes that Cilan is possessed by a witch and wants to seek them both out so they are returned safely. But Cilan murders a cardinal, which makes Itachi order a world-wide hunt for Cilan.

Itachi insists that Naminé isn't evil, but orders that Cilan is to be brought to justice for his crime. Eventually Iris finds out that her friend King Ash of Hoenn and his family have gone out to find Cilan. Iris leaves her kingdom with her two sons and daughter whilst she goes to The Vatican. Iris beliefs if Cilan finds out that she's there, he will rush to her and no more harm will be made. Iris finds out that Ruco is Itachi's daughter and blames him for Cilan's madness.

Iris inherits a magic necklace from Drayden which can show her anything she wants, but it not sugar-coat anything and will only show things that are true. If she asks the talisman to show something that is a lie than it will not work. This is how they know that Cilan killed Cardinal Drew and that he was with Naminé.

And this is where I'm at with the story. A lot of things I've put on this post is the back-story but it's so it can make sense. I'm not really sure how to continue it. Cilan has been the good guy in Thy Wish Will Come and The Other King, so is it worth changing him into an antagonist now in the last part of the trilogy?

With Cilan being possessed, would it be more satisfying to see him die or make him live and become free and be with Iris again.

And what would make sense or most interesting?
    a) Sasuke knowing the whole time that Ruco is actual niece.
    b) Sasuke finding out by catching Itachi kissing his wife.
    c) Sasuke being told that Ruco is his niece.

My Royal AU Advanceshipping + Advanceshipping trilogy
    ♔Thy Wish Will Come♔ The Other King♔Once Upon A Crown♔
    And the spin-off ♔The Ketchum Inheritance♔
    Award winning fic:Carry On, Blissey

I was thinking about doing a fic that combines modern-day(or, at least, last few decades) computer work (hacking, sending files, using new technology, etc.) with pokemon. Although I am not yet experienced enough with computers to do this, the day when I am will come soon and I am thinking about possible plots. However, would anyone actually be interested in this?

In case anyone is wondering, I was planning on making it a journey fic, except with computers taking a central role and fighting the main villains that way in addition to (or, sometimes, at the same time as) real-word physical fighting.

So I have an idea for a fanfic, tenatively titled "Eighteen Elements". I have most of the characters planned, and locations, and all sorts... but I don't have any ideas for a plot. All I have is:
    > Pokémon Mystery Dungeon-esque setting.
    > There's a mysterious location in the middle of the land called the "World's Highest Place", which can only be opened by a group of Pokémon containing every type with no repeats.
    > Every area has its own mythology.
    > Our first friendly protagonist is a Budew, affectionately nicknamed "Jewbi" (or would "Dewbi" sound better?), who comes from a forest in the southwest. In the forest, the Pokémon tell that the forest's guardian (ie: Celebi) will appear when the forest is in danger.
    > D/Jewbi's home forest is destroyed in a forest fire, and her friend a Cherubi dies in said fire. (This is going to be a dark fanfiction)
    > D/Jewbi gets angry because the forest's protector didn't appear.
    > Our second friendly protagonist is a Kirlia known as "The Wanderer" from the northeast, who became distraught over the death of his younger brother. Also, everyone think's he's a girl.

Now, onto "what do I do with these ideas?"
    > Is the World's Highest Place really necessary?
    > What conflict could happen? I'm planning on making this a "no true antagonist" story, but that could change.
    > Why did Kirlia become a Wanderer? What does he do after his younger brother's death? Does he become insane and try to bring him back, even though that can't happen?

Looking at the sky, thinking morning must be coming; it's too much for my captivated heart to take.
    As a bird flutters alongside me, I wonder where he was able to find his light.

I have claimed Uso by SID from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Re-CODA by Lien(?) from Solatorobo: Red the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulan15262 View Post
    I was thinking about doing a fic that combines modern-day(or, at least, last few decades) computer work (hacking, sending files, using new technology, etc.) with pokemon. Although I am not yet experienced enough with computers to do this, the day when I am will come soon and I am thinking about possible plots. However, would anyone actually be interested in this?

In case anyone is wondering, I was planning on making it a journey fic, except with computers taking a central role and fighting the main villains that way in addition to (or, sometimes, at the same time as) real-word physical fighting.
    That depends entirely how you choose to portray "computer work" in your story. Generally, when computing-related things are portrayed in fiction, the Pokemon franchise included, things are a bit more animated and flashy than they are in real-life. Every 'combat hacker' finds a suitable exploit, whips up a script that isn't riddled with bugs on their first try, and is able to clearly communicate 'mission accomplished'/'you lose' to the opponent from their subnotebook with an art design student's winning GUI proposal on the monitor just in time to jump clear of the explosion down the hall.

The somewhat more plausible depiction that shows up commonly in fiction, and probably the route that would serve a journey fic best without reducing the computing angle reduced to "magic with computers", is to have the technical antics left to some manner of supporting character that is assisting from a fixed, and not necessarily close by location while the nitty-gritty of fighting is farmed off to the actual "frontline" characters staring danger and death in the face.

And then you come towards the 'real life' end of the scale, where everything non-trivial involving code is almost guaranteed to take multiple people and/or at least 24 real-time hours (and usually much, much longer) to get working, let alone working without bugs if you don't have some pre-existing code that matches up with the problem. Exploits usually boil down to exploiting human oversights such as using 'password' for one's password, using outdated encryption, duping a target into spilling information through inadvertently running spyware, or for the holy grail, getting access to zero-day exploits. Any sane outfit will mount such attempts from behind a healthy number of proxies. On rare occasions, you do see coordination with off-monitor antics, but those are usually heavily biased towards espionage as opposed to open confrontations.

It's an idea that could turn out interesting to read if played the right way, but if you do decide to pursue it, I think you might wind up having to do some fine-tuning in laying out a plotline that would lend itself well to both touching on computing in a non-trivial fashion while having enough action and mobility to work as a journey fic.
    Last edited by Spiteful Murkrow; 20th April 2015 at 8:26 AM.
    If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. - Toni Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Star
    So I have an idea for a fanfic, tenatively titled "Eighteen Elements". I have most of the characters planned, and locations, and all sorts... but I don't have any ideas for a plot.
    Well, your story's plot is driven by the desires of the characters in it, so I'd say you want to try fleshing out your cast a bit. Take your budew protagonist, for example--what do they want? Do they want to find Celebi, either to demand answers about why their forest burnt down or because they're worried the event means something happened to Celebi? Do they want to find somewhere to make a new life for themselves, or fulfil some promise to one of their now-dead family members? Same deal with the kirlia. You know his circumstances; now you need to figure out how he wants those circumstances change. Once you know this, you can figure out what stands in their way. Is it another person/people who have goals that conflict with what your protagonist wants? Is it some uninterested force, like hostile wild pokemon, severe weather, or a famine? Or is it something inside the budew themselves, like cowardice that keeps defeating their every attempt to go after what they want? That's your conflict. You certainly can have conflict without an antagonist in a story like this--some kind of "man vs environment" is the most obvious choice for a PMD adventure story; the PMD world is certainly dangerous enough. Ultimately, though, it's going to be about whatever makes the most sense for your character's motivations. What would reasonably stand in the way of them accomplishing their goals--getting what they want?

This should also help you with questions like whether you need the World's Highest Place. How could that be an obstacle to what your main characters want? If you can come up with a way that it would make sense for them to have to open it, then it might make a good element for your story. Otherwise, better to leave it out.

So, those are really things you need to figure out for yourself, which is kind of the hard part. Some people find it useful to sit down with any one of the numerous character trait builders you can find on the internet and just hammer out as much as you can about their background, their aspirations, and so on. An alternative option would be to try writing some small scenes involving them, just to get used to working with them and see where those first steps take you. You don't need to worry about writing material that's going to end up in your final story; the idea is just to get a feel for who they are as people and how they act on the page. After a little experimentation, I think you'll start to get a better idea of what they might want and, therefore, where your plot might go.

Also, I'd suggest that you be careful how you handle your kirlia whom everyone thinks is a girl. Jokes like "haw haw everybody thinks this character's a chick because he has [X feminine trait]" are honestly pretty gross. They also don't really make any sense in a pokemon world like PMD, where I'd be incredibly surprised if traditional human gender roles applied.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your writing!

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

Yeah, I think I'll only play a gender confusion gag once, or maybe not even at all. I was also kind of thinking of toying with a "find a better place" plot, but I was worried that it'd turn into Seekers with Pokémon.

Looking at the sky, thinking morning must be coming; it's too much for my captivated heart to take.

I have claimed Uso by SID from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Re-CODA by Lien(?) from Solatorobo: Red the Hunter.

Must... find... writing motivation...

All right, I need help with Love and Other Nightmares. I thought I had plenty of time to explore this character, but there's really no plot-related reason to "keep readers in the dark" about his past, so to speak. It's just a "I don't want to talk about it" issue for the character (Kephi, a venipede and the protagonist's starter), and I've figured out an instance where I can have him talk about it sooner rather than later.

Kephi's general character: sarcastic, swears a lot, ambitious, makes threats to get what he wants, guilty for his actions to a certain extent but mostly apathetic. The fact that he won't kill has been established.

Anyway... One of the themes I've been wanting to explore is physical illness/trauma and the physiological/psychological aftereffects. This is kind of where it gets complicated.

Would not recommend reading this if you don't want spoilers for the next chapter.

Spoiler:- Love and Other Nightmares:

...I'm mostly looking for comments on whether or all of this makes sense. Is there anything I could/should expand on? I have a feeling Kephi might be far too "negative" and though readers seem to find him endearing, I'm wondering if there's some positive traits I could add in with all of this?

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | the epitome of obscurity and innocence, combined |
    | letters 7/8 released 5/28/15 |

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving |
    | chapter 10 released 6/21/15 |

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpearl876 View Post
        Spoiler:- Love and Other Nightmares:

...I'm mostly looking for comments on whether or all of this makes sense. Is there anything I could/should expand on? I have a feeling Kephi might be far too "negative" and though readers seem to find him endearing, I'm wondering if there's some positive traits I could add in with all of this?
    Well, there's a couple of potential issues I can see here. Elaborating in spoilers.

Spoiler:- Second-hand plot stuff:

That tl;dr aside, I should add that I'm obviously working off limited information here, so if you did consider the stuff I brought up already, then obviously feel free to disregard it. On the general level, the base concept can work, but what I'm missing is a level of nuance and detail to make this feel like Kephi's story in particular rather than just any given abused pokémon's story in general, and to make this seem more consistent with the wider story it's meant to be a part of.

Basically, I could buy the general idea you're selling, but I'm not really sold on the details as you've presented them.
    Last edited by Creepychu; 21st February 2015 at 10:32 PM.

I think Creepychu gave you some good stuff to chew on regarding the backstory; there's not really anything I'd like to add there.

I was wondering about your last question. What has you worried that Kephis is "too negative." Do you think it's unrealistic for him not to have more positive qualities? Do you worry people aren't going to like him if he doesn't shape up a bit? Something else?

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepychu View Post
    That tl;dr aside, I should add that I'm obviously working off limited information here, so if you did consider the stuff I brought up already, then obviously feel free to disregard it. On the general level, the base concept can work, but what I'm missing is a level of nuance and detail to make this feel like Kephi's story in particular rather than just any given abused pokémon's story in general, and to make this seem more consistent with the wider story it's meant to be a part of.

Basically, I could buy the general idea you're selling, but I'm not really sold on the details as you've presented them.
    Hey, I'm quite glad that someone who's read the story offered some advice I could use, otherwise I may have gotten a "yeah, go ahead" comment instead of help framing Kephi's story with regards to the rest of the story. Indeed I haven't thought about most of what you pointed out (except the "how would the poacher strangle Kephi if he's a poison-type predator), and I guess my initial thought after that, that would still induce anoxia, was oxygen deprivation by drowning. I don't have any other questions/comments about what I might change yet since I just read this, but I may be back.

I keep running into the issue of me offering "limited information". I admit I'm not very good at writing out plot points or character descriptions bit by bit--usually I don't have to think so hard about what I want to do with the story--but I felt that what I had written for Kephi was actually worse than this (in terms of vagueness and content) and I did want to keep the original near-death experience premise, so I tried it out. At any rate, you indirectly gave me something else to work on for when I ask for help in the future. Thanks for your comments, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
    I think Creepychu gave you some good stuff to chew on regarding the backstory; there's not really anything I'd like to add there.

I was wondering about your last question. What has you worried that Kephis is "too negative." Do you think it's unrealistic for him not to have more positive qualities? Do you worry people aren't going to like him if he doesn't shape up a bit? Something else?
    I have a particular reader on another forum who consistently says he doesn't like Kephi. Kephi, to him, is only a sarcastic lead with a backstory that seems to have been kept in the dark for no discernible reason other than for the sake of having some mystery surrounding the story. I agreed that his backstory should come out sooner, so I'm working on that. Literally every other reader, though, enjoys Kephi as a whole, and I guess I'm wondering how to improve him for readers with that kind of mindset. I assume it has something to do with Kephi seeming more one-dimensional than anything, but I can't be sure.

I'd also like to comment that I've talked to quite a few people recently that say they just don't like sarcastic characters in general, so I'm not trying to please this one particular reader. :P

| survival project |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |

| limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving |

Well, I'll be honest, I don't know that trying to please a lot of people (who don't like sarcastic characters, in this case) is all that much better than trying to please just one guy. :P

Ultimately you're not going to be able to please everyone, right? And everyone has some things they like and don't like in characters. I personally can't stand angsty POV characters, and I'm not alone in that, but if someone wants to write a story where the POV character is really angsty, I don't think it would make sense for them to change it to try and attract me and that audience as readers. That's the story they're interested in telling, and they should feel free to do so even if it's not my personal cup of tea. If I told someone I had a problem with them writing with an angsty POV, I'd essentially be telling them to write the story I wanted them to write, not the one they wanted to write. I mean, the characters are the way they are because that's what makes sense for them in the context of the story, right? If Kephi were substantially different, then it would be a different story, and presumably he's the way he is now because that's how you wanted to write him and how you thought he would work best for the story. If you changed that, then perhaps it would appease some people who don't like sarcastic characters, but would it actually make your story better? If the story was planned with Kephi the way it is, that sounds like a change that's more likely to harm the story than help it. And will you really enjoy writing something that other people say they want rather than what you want?

Not to mention it's pointless! If you were somehow able to change Kephi so he's not sarcastic without affecting the story, you'd probably just end up with some other character archetype that bothers some people. Maybe fewer people overall, but ultimately opinions on characters are going to vary; you can't possibly come up with a character that everybody likes. So why not enjoy writing about the character you want to write about, rather than the character some people would rather read about?

Returning to the guy who just doesn't like Kephi: you say you assume it's because Kephi seems one-dimesional. Did the review actually say that, or are you indeed just assuming? If the person just said they don't like him, it's a bit difficult to act on; you can ask for more clarification and see if it's an issue of just not liking the archetype or if he thinks the character is poorly executed. If the former, then I would say it's probably better to just tell the reader to deal w/it; that's essentially a suggestion to change the story to better suit their tastes, rather than improve the story you're already trying to tell. If the latter, the problem doesn't really lie in Kephi being sarcastic (or having too many negative traits per se), but suggests you aren't getting across enough of the fullness of his character for that reader. That's a a problem you can try to fix, although I don't know that adding more positive traits is the way to go about it. But you have to be sure of what the criticism actually is before you get too worked up trying to fix things.

Okay, I've thought about this a bit more and would like to update.

Kephi's general backstory:

Spoiler:- Kephi:

Quote Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
    Well, I'll be honest, I don't know that trying to please a lot of people (who don't like sarcastic characters, in this case) is all that much better than trying to please just one guy. :P
    Sorry for not responding sooner - didn't want to risk double-posting. >_>

Yes, the reader did say that Kephi is one-dimensional. Other people do point out other aspects of him, though (ie. him wanting Annie to be a good trainer, wanting to battle, his indecisiveness, etc). I see what you mean, though. I suppose I overreacted, considering that this reader is highly praised for his work and his criticism is taken pretty seriously on that forum.

Also, not sure how you read Survival Project if you don't like angsty characters. That is, if I'm remembering the fact that you read it right.

| survival project |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |

I've been working on this fic idea (mostly the worldbuilding) for the past few days and would love some feedback.

One of my favorite things about writing is looking at the world and its uniqueness. It's why I love Pokemon so much. Sadly, one of the things that drives me up the wall about Pokemon is the fact that it has so many worldbuilding holes. The newer games have done a bit better at explaining a bit more about the world, but a lot is up for interpretation and that's where I come in. I want to write a fic about the government of the Pokemon nation. I'm going to be grabbing ideas from all the different Pokemon canons: Anime, Manga, Games, and even Headcanons

The story will revolve around a decent trainer as he ends up joining the labyrinthine bureaucracy of the Pokemon Association. I'm imagining the Pokemon Association has a bit of a Federal Government of sorts connecting all the Pokemon regions (yes, even Fiore, Almia, and Oblivia since the Ranger Union is actually an agency run by the Pokemon Association). The Pokemon Association is a bit odd since it has its beginnings as a centralized authority for battling and as a Pokemon Rights group. But something happened to the actual governments of the various regions (I have no idea what) and stepped up to provide a central authority. It's only purpose is to create laws regarding Inter-Regional commerce and travel and create laws around Pokemon. But since Pokemon are pretty much the main economic force in the Pokemon world, the Pokemon Association has a lot of power.

I would go into more detail, but would love to hear what people think of the basis of the idea first before I delve into the hierarchy and running of the Pokemon Association.

I can't really think of any plot for Eighteen Elements... maybe a "go to place, defeat a big legendary" plot? Also, I think Eighteen Elements needs a better name...
    Last edited by Sunset Star; 28th February 2015 at 10:34 AM.

diamondpearl876

I keep running into the issue of me offering "limited information". I admit I'm not very good at writing out plot points or character descriptions bit by bit--usually I don't have to think so hard about what I want to do with the story--but I felt that what I had written for Kephi was actually worse than this (in terms of vagueness and content) and I did want to keep the original near-death experience premise, so I tried it out.
    Ah, I didn't mean to say that you're being overly vague or anything. It's more a turn of phrase I use to emphasize that I'm coming at this from my own viewpoint, which means I don't necessarily see all the ways this scene would connect back to other scenes in your story, so writing choices that might not make sense to me might make sense to you since you'd know your intentions for it better than I would, and conversely solutions that seem reasonable to me might not fit what you want to get out of it.

Basically, it's just a reminder to stick to your guns in the places that are important to what you're trying to get across with this scene.

Okay, I've thought about this a bit more and would like to update.

Kephi's general backstory:

Spoiler:- Kephi:
    Alright, let's have a look.

Spoiler:- Hunters and asphyxicators, oh my:

On the whole, it sounds like you're getting a decent enough game plan together, so I'd suggest just going ahead and trying to write this scene out with what you have in mind. If what you have planned doesn't work out mechanically, it should become pretty obvious to you as you are writing it. Plus, writing it out will help you find your confidence with the parts of the backstory that do click for you, which should get you a more solid basis to figure out the rest from and put quite a few of your doubts to rest in the process.

TyRush

Setting- and focus-wise, that all sounds quite interesting to me. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to headcanon my way through question like this myself, so I'm always interested in seeing how other people approach the subject. With how vague and non-commital canon is on the topic, there's definitely a ton of fertile ground for world stories.

The only thing I'm really left wondering is what kind of plot you had in mind to go with this. Trainer ends up working inside the bureaucratic system is a fair enough starting point, but whether or not it makes for an interesting story is going to depend a lot on whether that trainer is interesting enough as a person or has motivations compelling enough to make us invested in following them through that process. Of course, that's likely part of the more detail that you haven't gone into yet, but without details on the plot and/or character(s) it's hard to say much beyond that it could be interesting.
    Last edited by Creepychu; 27th February 2015 at 2:39 AM.

Okay... For the first time ever, I'm gonna post here on something I'm thinking of because...I have no one else to talk to on this.

I've been meaning to do a Megaman Zero fanfiction for a while and...I have two ideas. One being a prompt from the Fan Fiction Quarterly. The idea Leviathan (a girl Reploid general) misinterprets Harpuia (a guy Reploid general, and "brother") and that's it... I don't have any ideas for in between. I realize that what I'm saying is basically asking to help write the story, so I'll ask this: What can possibly be misinterpretted as romantic love? I seriously can't think of anything...

I have another idea, but I'll edit (or later post) it here when I have the time.
    "My power is not meant for destruction. My power... My power is meant to protect the things my friend and I believe in!" - Zero, Retrospect1_Elf War (Megaman Zero Telos drama track)

Fossil Fighter Forum
    - Linking my squad at my own risk.
    Fun fact: The Philippines is the only country whose name always has an article before it (in this case, "the").

Check my bio for my status.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepychu View Post
    diamondpearl876

TyRush

Setting- and focus-wise, that all sounds quite interesting to me. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to headcanon my way through question like this myself, so I'm always interested in seeing how other people approach the subject. With how vague and non-commital canon is on the topic, there's definitely a ton of fertile ground for world stories.

The only thing I'm really left wondering is what kind of plot you had in mind to go with this. Trainer ends up working inside the bureaucratic system is a fair enough starting point, but whether or not it makes for an interesting story is going to depend a lot on whether that trainer is interesting enough as a person or has motivations compelling enough to make us invested in following them through that process. Of course, that's likely part of the more detail that you haven't gone into yet, but without details on the plot and/or character(s) it's hard to say much beyond that it could be interesting.
    Yeah, I have more plot ideas for the character. The writing will be a bit tongue in cheek. He's going to be glad he's working with Pokemon still in the Pokemon Association, but he's glad he's not living the fast and loose life of a traveling trainer anymore. That is until his various responsibilities force him to end up getting swept up in Pokemon world craziness.

Hey, does anyone remember this old thing? Well, it's time to bring it back, because I have a crazy idea.

I've started to notice that having characters travel to another dimension is kind of a thing I like to do. I don't know, I like it when characters are out of their element.

You know what game already does that? Fire Emblem: Awakening. The entire second half of the game centers on the Shepherds recruiting the children of members who had gotten married and had traveled across dimensions to stop their grim future from happening. Hell, the DLC stuff gives that concept a name: the Outrealms. So dimensional travel is a staple part of that game's lore. And the Risen, the main antagonists of the game, are also present in these realms?

So what if, somehow, the blight of the Risen was able to reach a realm that was very different from that of Ylisse or Valm? Someplace like...Ransei?

I think it would be absolutely fascinating to see the Shepherds try to navigate the world of Pokémon: Conquest. Just the thought of them seeing a world in which the weapons that are normally used pale in comparison to intelligent, loyal creatures trained for combat fascinates me. How would they react? Would some of them adapt to the concept, and try to find a Pokémon for themselves? Who would be against that thought process? How would the Shepherds mesh with the warlord culture so prevalent in that game? What if Nobunaga showed up and caused trouble? Would Grima itself have an impact? Who knows, but I really want to try this out. Let me know if you have any suggestions for things to look for, as I'm still in the research part of preparing for this monster.
    Pokémon: Convergence

"Dimension-hopping shenanigans." Need I say more?

Next Chapter: Chapter 5

----------------------------

Mother of the Cave

One-shot about an aggron watching over her den...until poachers appear and screw everything up.

Next Chapter: N/A

I'm still taking criticism for this story.

So what if, somehow, the blight of the Risen was able to reach a realm that was very different from that of Ylisse or Valm? Someplace like...Ransei?

I think it would be absolutely fascinating to see the Shepherds try to navigate the world of Pokémon: Conquest. Just the thought of them seeing a world in which the weapons that are normally used pale in comparison to intelligent, loyal creatures trained for combat fascinates me.
    Whether or not the weapons pale in comparison is entirely up to how you'd interpret them. There's some folklore in the mainline games that suggests that being a swordsman wouldn't be total suicide even in the Pokemon world, and I'm fairly certain that a decent mage in Fire Emblem could toe the line well against a Pokemon, which given their abilities might as well be mages that speak funny.

How would they react? Would some of them adapt to the concept, and try to find a Pokémon for themselves?
    That would probably depend on how they got there, but Pokemon is different enough from Fire Emblem that it would almost certainly be an initial shock. I think the latter would more or less be a given if your cross-over's more than a one-shot, since characters across canons interacting with each other is fundamental to such a premise. In terms of in-character motivations, I can't imagine that Crom or Robin would pass up on the chance to wield loyal and durable units, especially when they figure out that they'd be reasonably easy to recruit.

How would the Shepherds mesh with the warlord culture so prevalent in that game?
    I think the cast of Awakening would actually adapt reasonably well to a setting like Ransei. They already have experience with warlords and cultures that lend themselves to creating warlords (Ferox for a friendly example, Valm for one that is less so).

What if Nobunaga showed up and caused trouble?
    I can't speak for how he's portrayed in Conquest, but based off of what I know about Nobunaga from history courses, he would more or less be Walhart. Since the angle of 'ruthless, ever-expanding conquest' is more or less identical to Nobunaga's M.O. when he was alive (minus the god complex).

Would Grima itself have an impact?
    That would depend on if Grima is awake for the events of your fic, and how you'd scale Grima's power to Ransei.

All in all, it sounds like it might be a fun concept to see, and I can think of a friend who would probably get a kick out of any yarn that came from this idea. I think the core step to take beyond what you have if you're serious about the idea would be to try and develop a scenario for it.
    Last edited by Spiteful Murkrow; 17th May 2015 at 12:35 AM.
    If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. - Toni Morrison

PhalanxSigil

I'm not familiar with the particular plot of Awakening, but unless Pegasus/Wyvern Knights have been pruned from the class list, it's not like facing big, loyal beasts in combat is exactly unheard of. I can't picture soldiers that have no qualms going up against a full-grown wyvern with an armed and armored rider standing in shock and awe at the sight of your average warlord minion unleashing a Bidoof or Petilil into the fray. Now obviously some pokémon might strike a more imposing figure and special ones like psychic types could certainly catch them off guard, but when you take a wyvern (let alone a proper dragon) as a measuring stick, quite a few pokémon are not going to seem that intimidating or even alien by comparison.

The presupposition that pokémon partners are simply superior to conventional combat training is also pretty dubious, since it leaves the unarmed human party of the duo as an obvious and open target. A skilled Assassin or Sniper could easily drop potentially threatening warlords before their pokémon even hit the field, and human-to-human the ones with extensive weapons training are going to have a pretty obvious advantage over the ones who don't have it. It should of course also go without saying that mages and priests bring their own advantage to fire emblem-style armies, partly in providing a counterpoint to pokémon special attacks and more pertinently in providing an advantage pokémon don't have through healing magic being able to patch up even severe wounds right on the battlefield. People from the Fire Emblem universe have a lot more to bring to the table than just ordinary weapons and already have their own traditions for taming strong creatures for use in warfare, so to be honest, wouldn't the culture shock be far stronger for the people in Ransei? Pokémon abilities might come off as a surprise at first encounter, but they can fairly easily be rationalized away as just another kind of Dragon/Griffon/Pegasus/Wyvern (possibly one with magical abilities) whereas the people from Pokémon Conquest's world would suddenly have to wrap their heads around the concept of humans wielding magic, something to which there is no clean substitute in their universe. I'd also expect characters who already have experience with interdimensional travel to be a bit more adjusted to encountering concepts and cultures that are alien to them, especially when compared to people who for the most part haven't event ventured outside their home continent. Ransei is pretty blatantly based on feudal Japan, and feudal Japan was about as insular and xenophobic as countries came.

To put it a bit more concisely, I think you should try to look at what these two very different universes coming into contact would imply for both sides of the exchange and also keep in mind that Fire Emblem is a pretty high-magic fantasy setting, complete with its own native mystical creatures and phenomena. Points of commonality (and ways in which both sides would try to rationalize the oddities of the other) are just as important for a fish-out-of-water type scenario as the differences between the two, and when you're writing crossover, it's the points of common ground that usually yield the best plot material.

So yeah, I think there's plenty of fertile ground for a crossover between the two and Ransei is certainly a region that could use more meat on its bones world-building wise, but without a more focused scenario I can't really say much more than that one way or the other.
    Last edited by Creepychu; 17th May 2015 at 2:33 AM.

Thank you so much for the advice, you two! I'll definitely keep these suggestions in the back of my head. Here, I just want to address a few of the things you've said, as there are a ton of good points here.

Spiteful Murkrow

Whether or not the weapons pale in comparison is entirely up to how you'd interpret them. There's some folklore in the mainline games that suggests that being a swordsman wouldn't be total suicide even in the Pokemon world, and I'm fairly certain that a decent mage in Fire Emblem could toe the line well against a Pokemon, which given their abilities might as well be mages that speak funny.
    Both you and Creepychu mentioned this, and I feel I need to explain what I mean by "pale in comparison." In Ransei, people don't use traditional weapons, as Pokémon are around. It's kinda like the mainline Pokémon games. I never meant that the Fire Emblem weaponry would be inferior in any way. That's just the situation for the Ransei natives. Learning how the warlords would also cope with FE weapons and tactics is something I really want to put in the story too.

That would probably depend on how they got there, but Pokemon is different enough from Fire Emblem that it would almost certainly be an initial shock. I think the latter would more or less be a given if your cross-over's more than a one-shot, since characters across canons interacting with each other is fundamental to such a premise. In terms of in-character motivations, I can't imagine that Crom or Robin would pass up on the chance to wield loyal and durable units, especially when they figure out that they'd be reasonably easy to recruit.
    Not only is it a given that some of the Shepherds will obtain Pokémon, but I've already started the process of figuring out which one works best for which Shepherd. Believe me, that's gonna be fun.

That would depend on if Grima is awake for the events of your fic, and how you'd scale Grima's power to Ransei.
    Trust me, I've thought about this long and hard. In terms of story progression, it's near the endgame. Grima is up and wreaking havoc. And considering the Risen's presence in the Outrealms, it's safe to assume that they'd become more powerful now that their master is awake.

Creepychu

I can't picture soldiers that have no qualms going up against a full-grown wyvern with an armed and armored rider standing in shock and awe at the sight of your average warlord minion unleashing a Bidoof or Petilil into the fray.
    That's a good point, but what many Pokémon lack in an opposing figure, they make for in outlandish abilities and intelligence. I've already thought of a few ways in which the Shepherds will encounter a Pokémon that looks harmless, and yet does something that no one expects, and potentially throws them for a loop.

wouldn't the culture shock be far stronger for the people in Ransei? Pokémon abilities might come off as a surprise at first encounter, but they can fairly easily be rationalized away as just another kind of Dragon/Griffon/Pegasus/Wyvern (possibly one with magical abilities) whereas the people from Pokémon Conquest's world would suddenly have to wrap their heads around the concept of humans wielding magic, something to which there is no clean substitute in their universe.
    ...I actually didn't consider that. That's COOL! I hadn't looked at the issue from that angle, and it sounds really interesting.

I'd also expect characters who already have experience with interdimensional travel to be a bit more adjusted to encountering concepts and cultures that are alien to them
    Not exactly. Yes, the Shepherds have explored the Outrealms before, but for the most part, the places they've encountered are very similar to their own, if not almost completely identical. Ransei will still be very strange to them. Although yeah, I do agree that the Ransei inhabitants would have a more difficult time reconciling what the Shepherds bring to the table.

without a more focused scenario I can't really say much more than that one way or the other.
    This is the one thing i need to focus on the most. The world building will be fun, but I do agree I need to narrow down why this is happening. If you've played the Future Past DLC stuff, you'll know that Naga does occasionally call the Shepherds to intervene in situations in which Grima is prevailing in its quest to destroy a universe. It will definitely start in a similar fashion, but I do need to determine what happens from there. I've got quite a bit of work to in terms of plot, I'm aware, but at least it's a start.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll definitely keep them in mind.
    Pokémon: Convergence

"Dimension-hopping shenanigans." Need I say more?

Next Chapter: Chapter 5

----------------------------

Mother of the Cave

One-shot about an aggron watching over her den...until poachers appear and screw everything up.

Next Chapter: N/A

I'm still taking criticism for this story.

For a while now, I've been thinking of something like a sort of Jurassic Park in Pokemon, though I haven't got much other than that. The original idea I had was the park would have Pokemon they way they were before being trained by human, basically ferocious and bloodthirsty. Now though, I kind of want to do it with Fossil Pokemon, as that would probably fit the overall 'Jurassic Park' theme better.

"They should all be destroyed..." -Robert Muldoon, Jurassic Park

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061 LastLast