Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can ghosts/spirits prove the existance of a god or an afterlife?

i can't knoew for sure if there are ghosts but i do believe that some people have a wild imagination that has been triggered by something logic that can be explained,
    some people in here claim that they have seen ghost but there are several almost too many things that can cause hallucinations.

toxic air like wet paint or unventilated rooms can be a source,
    a shortage of rest can also cause halucinations and even when you are in bed you can see things floating in the air, i had that myself once, i was sleeping but still slightly awake which caused me to see my own dreams while i could still see my room.
    certain medicins can also cause this especially when they are strong or when you just started using them.

the neighbour of my granddad claimed to be visited multiple times by an angel who asked her to write a book about the ending of the world, (it's practically an old religious story about spirits who live on forever and worlds that end and start over and over to refresh it actualy but i don't want to spoil her fun)

anyway what i'm saying is that it's hard to proof if there are gods, angels, spirits and ghosts or not since the people who tell these stories usualy had certain circumstances which might have caused these halucinations.
    Last edited by (s.i.e); 4th May 2009 at 1:44 PM.

I'm not about to go into a long *** explanation of why I believe what I believe, since what someone believes is irrelevant.

In order for me to believe something is actually true I need to experience it myself, as well as a few other people being present to compare experiences and then after, a scientific theory would have to be proven true about the subject. Everyone must agree to the core idea and discard all of the inferences and theories, only hard evidence should remain.

In other words, show me a ****in ghost, let's get it live on the news while we're at it, and have someone famous with us, so it gets lots of hits on youtube, and just to prove to people that it's real, keep on proving the theory is true.

There is always a loophole with these things, I could tell you I saw the devil, and I believe I did, and I even touched that son of a *****, but guess what? I have no evidence, truth is, I was having a nightmare while drunk off my as on tequila and Modelo.

People, not everything has to be proven by a man wearing a white coat and glasses (Scientists). Let people believe what they want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Palkia_7389 View Post
    People, not everything has to be proven by a man wearing a white coat and glasses (Scientists). Let people believe what they want to believe.
    Considering that's the only way we've ever proven anything outside of math, yes, everything must go through the scientific method or logic.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

I suppose, technically, proving ghosts as humans remaining in a non-physical form after death would prove there is something after life, though not any depiction of 'afterlife' in general. Which means it doesn't really prove/disprove gods or religion. Woop-dee-doo.

Considering that's the only way we've ever proven anything outside of math, yes, everything must go through the scientific method or logic.
    You scientists have no appreciation for the finer things in life, if it were up to you poetry would be produced in a lab by men with beards

You're my wife now!

if it were up to you poetry would be produced in a lab by men with beards
    I could scientifically create the best poem, song, or anything of the sort ever!

All you have to do is measure why people like <x>, and ...
    Credit to Nuit

Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the turtle View Post
    You scientists have no appreciation for the finer things in life, if it were up to you poetry would be produced in a lab by men with beards
    Actually, sciency people can appreciate cultural things...we just know when and how to seperate facts from bullshit. Do go on about how all scientists are robots that can only operate on a strict logical system that breaks down at the slightest inconsistancy, though.

There is zero credible evidence that ghosts or spirits exist("my dad's friend's uncle saw a ghost" is not credible evidence, and neither is people zooming in and seeing things in jpg artifacts), so the whole question is moot. If ghosts/spirits did exist in the way people think of them, that'd be evidence of a soul but not of a god or gods. But first we'd need better evidence of souls than a roll of film that didn't get processed properly or people hearing random creaky house noises and assuming that IT'S A GHOST! AAAAH!

"Let[ing] people believe what they want to believe" can be downright dangerous in cases like this - sure, most people won't do anything too stupid because they think there's an actual ghost controling their Ouija board, but letting ignorance get out of control in the name of letting people believe whatever they want to results in people who distrust science(and no matter what ignorant people say about egghead ivory tower intellectuals in white coats, science is incredibly important in understanding the world, bettering our quality of life, and improving society overall) and put more faith in fairy tales and urban legends. I'm sorry, but I don't want people who believe in Bigfoot or "toxins"(in the hilariously vague "YOU MUST CLEANSE TOXINS FROM YOUR BODY WITH THIS $39.99 PRODUCT/TREATMENT" sense) to be anywhere near positions that could impact my life - and the risk of that happening only increases as we let more people believe in bullshit in the name of letting people believe whatever.

(and as I said earlier, I doubt that believing in ghosts alone would cause too much of that, but we really shouldn't let people believe nonsense just because it's their belief, maaaaaaan)
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Actually, sciency people can appreciate cultural things...we just know when and how to seperate facts from ********. Do go on about how all scientists are robots that can only operate on a strict logical system that breaks down at the slightest inconsistancy, though.
    The emote kinda demonstrates the joke in my statement, not to mention that GA is a mate of mine who cleary understood my little dig.

You're my wife now!

In my opinion, if they do exist in the form we know, they prove nothing. They could just as well be some strange form of life, or who the hell knows, time travelers who are stopped from making paradoxes. We can't really know what they could possibly prove and what they couldn't if we don't even know what are they exactly (If they exist, that is)
    First, when players wish to exchange their winnings, they must call a parlor staff member by using the call button located at the top of the machine they used. The staff member will then carry the player's balls to an automated counter to verify how many they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Snover View Post
    I've actually seen ghosts, so i know they exist.
    Do tell. Though my instinct for people who think they saw Loch Ness Monster/alien spaceship/ghosts/etc...is, well, they convinced themselves that they think they saw one. But I'm betting there's logical explanations to most paranormal activity.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Juputoru View Post
    I don't want people who believe in Bigfoot or "toxins"(in the hilariously vague "YOU MUST CLEANSE TOXINS FROM YOUR BODY WITH THIS $39.99 PRODUCT/TREATMENT" sense) to be anywhere near positions that could impact my life - and the risk of that happening only increases as we let more people believe in bullshit in the name of letting people believe whatever.

That reminds me of that expensive Japanese foot spa which turns the water brown(but you're supposed to add a ****en soluble -_-) how much more of an idiot can you be after buying one of these for your bathroom(s)?

I would love to see a few scientists, hell the MYTHBUSTERS would do, do the whole ouija board thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonny View Post
    Why is it even the proof of souls? All of these ideas just stem from fiction.
    O RLY? Here's my theory on ghost/souls. Souls are almost eternal, the body just ain't. When the body fails, the soul is released and [this is sorta my religion type thing right here, not to offened anyone with a similar religioun, even though I'm Athiest] usually it goes on to be reincarnated, but sometimes it had [excuse the cliche-ness] unfinished business that its current mind still needed to accomplish before having its "mind wiped" to a fresh infant mind and put in the body of a newborn. [just my own theory on after life without being truly religious]

my random thought of the week:
    Life is full of surprises--That's what we love and hate about it. Once we think we've got things figured out, life throws us a screwball. Sure it sucks for a while, but we always come back for more.
    Now why would you want to click this?

Assuming that spirits do exist (which I doubt very much), I would say that the answer would be no. If they're bound/stuck/trapped/whatever on Earth, they couldn't have gone to heaven (which I also don't believe in), right?

Then there's the issue of communicating with spirits. It's not like they could talk or move anything, since they don't have a physical presence. So assuming if they could prove the existance of those things, there would still be no way for them to tell us.

Anyway, it's not like the afterlife or the existance of God is something that we need to find out. Everybody will end up finding out in the end, so it doesn't matter. We all will individually find out the truth on our own, so we don't need spirits for that.

Ghosts, prolly no. But Djinns and Black Magic does exist. There is no scientific explanation for this. My family has experienced this. I think many have also. So, yeah, this can prove of other supernatural things and God himself.
    Formerly, Chariking

Quote Originally Posted by ~-Overheat-~ View Post
    Ghosts, prolly no. But Djinns and Black Magic does exist. There is no scientific explanation for this. My family has experienced this. I think many have also. So, yeah, this can prove of other supernatural things and God himself.

ah, explain yourself what kind of djinns and black magic your family experienced, i'm not an expert on supernatural happenings but i do have experience about human behaviore, i'd like to know.
    Last edited by (s.i.e); 7th May 2009 at 11:16 AM.

Unexplainable things that can't be science based doesn't prove God. I don't even see how they're linked.
    Credit to Nuit

i have to come forward i can see ghosts so....
    I'm back on serebii

Lol. Anyways depending to what extent you truly understand these ghosts or spirits. If they're (as usually defined) human spirits remaining after life, then wouldn't its very definition prove "after-life". As for some god or higher power, that would offer no more proof or contradiction than anything else we might encounter, save for that higher power itself.
    Shiny Hunt: also Tirtouga, Zorua, Litwick, Axew, Rufflet, and Deino

Shiny Bank:

Well, if the existence of ghost is real (which I happen to doubt), that would serve to prove an afterlife (which I would define here as an existence of a person after death in a form excepting memories and records). However, that wouldn't prove, in any way, the existence of a God. Believing in spirits and believing that an absolute, almight creator exists is quite a different thing.

Top: Totodilelover, Bottom: Nothernlights

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" — Epicurus, as quoted in "2000 Years of Disbelief"

Tokto (not Liancourt Rocks or Takeshima) is the sole and rightful property of the Republic of Korea.

B- Ref, Lv.1 Trainer, 4 Wins 2 Losses 0 Ties.
    Currently: Reffing 0, Playing 0 Match(es). 10 KO, 25 TP, 0 SP

Quote Originally Posted by Brick 777 View Post
    i have to come forward i can see ghosts so....
    Yeah, and I play poker with Bigfoot and Nessie every second Wednesday of the month. :/
    That Snorlax is a Spy

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonny View Post
    This. It always astounds me how many people have seen ghosts, but only when they're in no fit state to supply proof. If a ghost appeared in front of me, or on Oprah, and said I've just come down from a God created heaven, then there would be some evidence. It implies no contradiction to imagine that ghosts exist for some reason other than religion.
    If you're talking about a Christian God, then I have no idea why there would be ghosts anyway. Wouldn't they be in heave, hell or purgatory? I'm not very clued up on the bible though so if anybody else here is...
    the Bible says that to absent of the body means to be present with the Lord, of course thats talking about what happens when a Christian dies.
    so actually if somehow ghosts do exists then that would disprove almost every single religion.
    WHITE FC 4685 5847 3428 im willing to battle with any tier

I think that TRUE ghost phenomenoms, i.e. ones that cannot be explained, point to the existance of an afterlife; for example, it could be a hell, having to live your life over and over again.

From my heart, I feel it, clawing at me from within.
    Somehow I know I can’t fight it; I know I will never win.
    But what is it that consumes me, should I want to fight?
    Now I see it clearly...I step into the light.

Ghosts can be explained as risdual energy left behind by the body that the brain can process.
    It is impossible for one to live when the brain is dead. Sorry if it seems cold, but it's realism, half of these 'ghosts' are hoaxs or tricks of the mind, also the 'Shadow Jump' phenomona where the memory can interact with the memory of risdual energy (as I have already stated).

Nobody wants to hear it but I firmly belive, we all do in the very darkest corners of our mind, that there is no 'afterlife', just a product created by man to try and control our lifes on Earth and give us some hope in death. We are here through evolution and until rational science proves otherwise, thats what I will continue to belive.

Live life to it's fullest, because you only have one chance.
    Last edited by Aeron; 17th May 2009 at 11:51 AM.

I do believe in spirits, not ghosts...ghosts are demons. The same nature speaks about God himself...the ants and everything but of course God gives enough light for who he wants to believe and enough darkness for who he does not. But every person has a right on he/she wants to believe or no and not because I believe in spirits makes me right but nor because they don't believe makes them right! [non-sense hahaha]
    SGMKJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast