Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Mewtwo Strikes Back! (M01)

Great movie. I'll always remember it, because it is the first Pokemon movie. I still have it on video and I watch it a lot.

10/10
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 9th August 2011 at 4:24 PM.

I love this movie so much. When my brother and I saw it in theaters we had to see it twice because the first time the power went out at the theater >.<

Pokemon fan girl since 1999 =D
    Raichu is #1 Forever!!!

I remember seeing a clip of this on SM:TV. It was the very first time it was shown on UK Television.

Something I didn't understand with this was the scene where Mewtwo said he once started with Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle. How can a pokemon that was only recently created get access to all three Kanto pokemon starters at once and then claim he went on a journey. The dialogue here doesn't even make sense.
    Last edited by CliveKoopa; 19th September 2011 at 8:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
    I remember seeing a clip of this on SM:TV. It was the very first time it was shown on UK Television.

Something I didn't understand with this was the scene where Mewtwo said he once started with Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle. How can a pokemon that was only recently created get access to all three Kanto pokemon starters at once and then claim he went on a journey. The dialogue here doesn't even make sense.
    In the ten minutes of the movie 4kids cut (And then dubbed and added as a feature with the Mewtwo returns DVD) we see that Giovanni asked for clones of the three Kanto starters to be made as well. All three of them died, but even after getting his memory wiped Mewtwo had it somewhere in his heart to recreate them.

As for his choice of words, the idea was that as part of his being greater than all other Pokemon, making him both a Pokemon and a master, his starters were even greater than what human trainers received. It was really intended to be some sort of silly symbolism.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

I love the movie it's awesome one of my favourite movies

I remember seeing this in theatres a long time ago. At the time, I really enjoyed the movie since it was Pokemon, plus Mew was super cute. Nowadays, I don't think it's a bad movie, it's just not my favourite.

When I saw the movie, my dad went with me. He didn't understand it at all, and kept asking me questions about it. Apparently I eventually told him to shut up.

Hey

Just a quick question, if I buy the Japanese DVD, I know it has the dub track, but are the subtitles real subs of the Japanese or just the English script?

Also does the pikachu short have the English version?

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...he-first-movie

ThatGuywiththeGlasses' Linkara, Jewario, and Suede just did a two part review. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Hey

Just a quick question, if I buy the Japanese DVD, I know it has the dub track, but are the subtitles real subs of the Japanese or just the English script?

Also does the pikachu short have the English version?
    There is no bilingual DVD of the first movie. There's no bilingual Pokemon anything, at least not anything involving English.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

Is "Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back" a Pokémon dark comedy anime movie?

I remember seeing this in theatres when I was little - it still hits me hard. xD
    Definitely have a soft spot for this movie, and hopefully always will.

Mewtwo is so badass.

Made by me, I take requests.

Spoiler:- Trades:

I said, "Is "Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back" a Pokémon dark comedy anime movie?"

Well, I just recently re-watched it... for the billionth time XP it still makes me cry whenever Pikachu and rest of the Pokemon cry for Ash. This movie never gets old everytime I watch it :PI stil wonder about whatever happened to the trainer who tried to go to New Island, but never got there... ._.

Really wish I could find the DVD without paying $100 haha

Quote Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
    Really wish I could find the DVD without paying $100 haha
    I know, right?

My favourite Pokémovie! Watched it like 10 times, still love it! Now if only I could find that VHS I have still...

Call me Shinzon. Or Picard. Or whatever.

Hehe I still have the VHS :3 Just don't have the VCR...

Quote Originally Posted by AquaMilotic View Post
    Great movie. I'll always remember it, because it is the first Pokemon movie. I still have it on video and I watch it a lot.

10/10
    I fully agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsirius View Post
    In the ten minutes of the movie 4kids cut (And then dubbed and added as a feature with the Mewtwo returns DVD) we see that Giovanni asked for clones of the three Kanto starters to be made as well. All three of them died, but even after getting his memory wiped Mewtwo had it somewhere in his heart to recreate them.

As for his choice of words, the idea was that as part of his being greater than all other Pokemon, making him both a Pokemon and a master, his starters were even greater than what human trainers received. It was really intended to be some sort of silly symbolism.
    Something that hasn't been seen since. I mean the symbolism. In everything that we see now is some childish symbolism, but only few get to the dark side of existentialism.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    A good movie & the first one, I found it strange how in the end Mewtwo erased everyone's memory about him and what they did, Anyway I'm still hoping to see the japanese version.
    It's a called a plothole the size of Minnesota...

Quote Originally Posted by AwakeningLeafIcarus View Post
    Well, I just recently re-watched it... for the billionth time XP it still makes me cry whenever Pikachu and rest of the Pokemon cry for Ash. This movie never gets old everytime I watch it :PI stil wonder about whatever happened to the trainer who tried to go to New Island, but never got there... ._.
    Quite clearly, he didn't make it.. :P
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Is Pokémon: The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back a dark comedy anime movie?

This was my first movie. It got me into Pokemon.

Post "Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back!", the dark comedy movie?

Is "Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back!" a dark comedy movie?

Quote Originally Posted by MiloticTwins View Post
    Is "Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back!" a dark comedy movie?
    No, it's not really dark and it's not much of a comedy. It has dark moments and it has comedy moments but not enough of either to classify the whole movie as a "dark comedy".

This is probably the best Pokemon movie. The dub made it much worse, but the movie is just... simply fantastic. Plus, it holds so many memories for so many of us. It makes me think of my childhood, And it reminds us all of the classic original Pokemon you just gotta love.
    I wish I could have a cool profile like everyone else ( ._.)

Spoiler:- Mysteries of the Pokemon World:

Come help feed my Pokemon!

I can't really judge this movie; I'm too nostalgic.

It has some major problems. Pokemon get to make speeches consisting entirely of their names. When I was ten, this was cute; now it's kind of annoying. When Mewtwo catches Pikachu, Ash chases after it calling "You're not going to take my Pikachu!" When I was ten, this was dramatic; now it makes me feel sorry for Charzard, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur. The "Pokemon aren't meant to fight, not like this " moral feels tacked on (it was). The original moral survives, but it's no better (that might be a presentation problem).

Still, there are some good points. Mew is cute, especially when it plays on the windmill. The battles are cool. There funny parts, like when Ash tries to punch Mewtwo. The Animation is good. No, it's not Disney quality, but it still looks great. The CGI is dated, but it's only used for moving backgrounds and the like, so it's not too distracting.

I inspite of the film's flaws, I like it. It's part of my childhood, and I can overlook (or make fun of) the flaws
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    I can't really judge this movie; I'm too nostalgic.
    Nostalgic you say? To thatguywiththeglasses.com! Suede, Linkara, and Jew Wario's review is much better than the Nostalgia Critic's due to actually having background information. In the end, I have to agree with both of them. I loved this movie as a kid because I was dumb and innocent and now I hate it because I know it's a typical Japanese animated movie cash-in.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Easily my favorite movie of all time. I haven't seen anything done in Pokemon this good since. I miss the good ol' days...

Edit: I just finished watching this again in at least 5 years, and wow. Still holds up as my fave!
    Last edited by Nephilim; 17th December 2012 at 6:56 PM.
    Game: Soul Silver
    Name: Agent X
    FC: 3955-1298-0022

Fire Red Team (0 badges):

Emerald Team (3 badges):

Soul Silver Team (16 badges):

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast