Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mewtwo Strikes Back! (M01)

I have to ask, in the Japanese one was Mewtwo going to Destroy the world?
    I have to ask as it always seems to be the thing with 4Kids.. Destory the world >=O Destroy it all!
    Black - JP
    FC: 1848 9979 6673 Trainer name: Billy IDNo: 65021
    White - UK
    FC: 2537 2960 7121 Trainer name: Bella IDNo: 62467
    White2 - JP
    FC: 0819 9968 5972 Trainer name: Benny IDNo: 39588
    Black2 - UK
    FC: 4170 2407 1321 Trainer name: Britney IDNo: 09957

Im watching this now on channel 5

it is a good film
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by ShucklemasterJ
    Im watching this now on channel 5

it is a good film
    yeah.. that's where my question sprang up from, I was watching it too.. I hate it having Adverts in it tho
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

Quote Originally Posted by poke_girl
    I have to ask, in the Japanese one was Mewtwo going to Destroy the world?
    I have to ask as it always seems to be the thing with 4Kids.. Destory the world >=O Destroy it all!
    No, he wasn't going to destroy the world "per-se", he was just going to wipe out all human life and the "Nature-created" pokemon's lives.

One thing I don't get from the dub, Mewtwo said the storm would "destroy the planet", and then he said "He and his clones would remain safe on the island", isn't the island on the planet, and wouldn't they be destroyed anyway if the planet gets destroy? =)
    Last edited by Satoshi; 25th September 2005 at 2:31 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi
    No, he wasn't going to destroy the world "per-se", he was just going to wipe out all human life and the "Nature-created" pokemon's lives.

One thing I don't get from the dub, Mewtwo said the storm would "destroy the planet", and then he said "He and his clones would remain safe on the island", isn't the island on the planet, and wouldn't they be destroyed anyway if the planet gets destroy? =)
    heh ^^; It's like in the 5th movie.. "I can control the whole world from in here!" yeah.. right..
    um, where is that Pokémon Japanese - English compairsion thing?
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

I've seen both the english dub and subtitled Japanese version, and I gotta say that I like Mewtwo's lines better in the Japanese version.

His lines in the original version paint him as more of a 'badass troubled philosopher' rather than the 4kids dub which lended him the image of a 'megalomaniacal twisted badass'.

And I definitely say that I like the Japanese-version music, it's more pertinent to the scenes where it's placed and therefore adds to the mood of the scene. Especially in the beginning prologue where Mewtwo destroys the lab complex, the dramatic organ music in the JP version fits that scene MUCH better.

Incidentally, this movie's the reason I'm a Mewtwo-freak. Actually, Mewtwo's part of the reason that I was originally insistent on seeing it. The advertisements on TV said that he was going to be in it, and since he was such an enigma for me at the time, my naturally hyper-curiosity got the better of me, and I went to see the film not only cause I loved pokemon but I also hoped to learn more about Mewtwo. Originally I assumed that Mewtwo would only be playing a side role in the film, and I was happily surprised that he was the main character. I don't know what it was, or what it is rather, about him but with in the few seconds that the movie began I was drawn to him as a character.

That, in a seedot-shell, is the story of how I became obsessed with Mewtwo.

Despite it's inherent and forced flaws (CURSE YOU 4KIDS!!) it's a pretty good movie.

~
    Last edited by ~Ψ_Madame_Leota_Ψ~; 1st October 2005 at 5:24 AM.

My Quote of the Week:

"The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."
    ~ Johnny Depp

Credits: Mewtwo Banner; Me, Trainer Card; Rainbow★Latias, Doombuggies TagLink; Doombuggies.com

Where did you find the Japanese version in subs? Is that on the Japanese DVD set with the English dub included or did you find a bootleg somewhere? Because I really want to see the movie in Japanese now...
    90% of pokemon fans hate/dislike pikachu, if you are one of the 10% who don't copy and paste this in you signiture (started by Rukario907)
    I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi
    Where did you find the Japanese version in subs? Is that on the Japanese DVD set with the English dub included or did you find a bootleg somewhere? Because I really want to see the movie in Japanese now...
    There are no official Japanese subs for the DVD, 4kids are so bias on their version, that they refuse to do so.
    If you want to watch the original fan-subbed, then you're on your own on that, fan-subs are kind of illegal.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Who here cried (or nearly cried) when Ash "died"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190641/goofs

Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers):
    Yeah.. right.
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

Or, for a better comparison and screw-up lists, go to Dogasu Backpack. His comparison is very accurate.

I, apparently, liked how they left the Japanese kanji in the exit part of the pier. Though, I don't give 4kids credit for that, they admitted that they acidentally left it in, so it's a screw up none-the-less, even if it was a good screw up. *cough* >_>
    Last edited by Satoshi; 2nd October 2005 at 9:31 PM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingRuby
    Who here cried (or nearly cried) when Ash "died"?
    I almost cried from laughter from the commentary "My Bike..." moment. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus
    I almost cried from laughter from the commentary "My Bike..." moment. Does that count?
    I loved that ^^;
    I wish it was in it xD

Dialogue Edit
    Lots of people seem to bring this one up, so I will too. When Satoshi is "dead," Pikachu repeatedly tries shocking him back to life. Kasumi says "Pikachu..." while Misty says "Please no." Lots of people like the dubbed line better and see it as "an improvement." I really don't see why everyone brings THIS particular change up, because it's really minor, especially considering the other changes made throughout the movie...
    Just quoting that so people know what part I'm on about, Can anyone tell me what she said in Japanese?
    Last edited by poke_girl; 2nd October 2005 at 10:19 PM.
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

Just quoting that so people know what part I'm on about, Can anyone tell me what she said in Japanese?
    It's right there in your quote from Dogasu's Backpack. >_>;

In the original, Kasumi says "Pikachu...." when Pikachu was trying to shock Satoshi back to life.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi
    It's right there in your quote from Dogasu's Backpack. >_>;

In the original, Kasumi says "Pikachu...." when Pikachu was trying to shock Satoshi back to life.
    OH.... I read it wrong ^-^;
    (see I got confused with the Japanese name then the US name thing..)
    Black - JP
    White - UK
    White2 - JP
    Black2 - UK

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus
    What, did Misty's voice actress say "My bike.." in Misty's voice or something?

If so, that's freakin' hilarious. XD

It was on yesterday... but I taped it 'cause I went out. It's so sad =(... but I like the movie..... the first and second movies are the only good ones IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother
    What, did Misty's voice actress say "My bike.." in Misty's voice or something?

If so, that's freakin' hilarious. XD
    No, in the commentary (located in the DVD), 4kids says that they were thinking about putting that line in. Still f-ing hilarious though. =(
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Delibird
    This movie was a bit too violent in my opinion and its complex story was just hard to follow. However, I did like the music.
    *Ahem* If you don't mind me asking, how was this movie violent? o_0; If it was, then the 5th movie was bloodshed. ;/
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

The dub was pretty bad in my eyes after reading Dogasu's comparsion of it and the Japanese version. Then I was all over the Japanese version and got myself a fan-subbed copy. It was awesome! Mewtwo has this kick-*** theme of eerie organ music for himself. I eventually got a hold of the Japan-exclusive The Birth of Mewtwo Radio Drama CD to listen to more of Mewtwo's Origin and the original movie's soundtrack.

Brother, My Brother? Please. They may as well have used a church hymn during the ultimate fight-to-the-death scene! Anyway, all the songs in the dub stink mish-mashed together into this movie and do better on their own away from everything action-packed. I like the instrumental scores a whole lot better than the songs but they're not nearly as good as the original scores. I have the soundtrack of the dub's instrumental scores too.

Original Mewtwo rocks my world!
    Dub Mewtwo can go crawl under a rock....and stay there! Bad form, dubbie, bad form!
    Last edited by Beachball; 5th October 2005 at 7:32 AM.

~*~*~My Little Pony, My Little Pony...~*~*~
    I claimed Ponyta in the Bishie Version 2.0 thread!

9/10 this is a great movie i espacally like it when the evoveled starters battle

10/10 my 2nd favorite movie. had a pretty good plot and i cried when i first saw it (well i was 7.....)

9/10 Slightly better than two and Much better than three.

I'm not sure if it is Golem or Donphan,but a Ground Type got hurt by Thunderschok!?

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi
    I'm not sure if it is Golem or Donphan,but a Ground Type got hurt by Thunderschok!?
    It was Golem.

Yeah... the writers seem to change their minds on whether Ground types are effected by Electric attacks or not. :/

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast