Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mewtwo Strikes Back! (M01)

Since when was it ever said that the Rock-types of Kanto also had the Ground-type? The ONLY thing they've ever said was that it's difficult to defeat a Rock-type with Electric attacks. Not that they're immune to them. e_e

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

PokeTrainer7783 Guest

In Japanese or Dubbed, I didn't really see the point in this movie. This one is definitely at the bottom of my list. 4/10.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeTrainer7783
    In Japanese or Dubbed, I didn't really see the point in this movie. This one is definitely at the bottom of my list. 4/10.
    The point of the movie was to introduce Myuu and Myuutsuu, just like how the other movies introduced a certain legend. -_-
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Hmm...

I liked it, although I thought some of the other ones were better. I've never seen the japanese version, so...

I thought the ground type thing was funny. Shows how weak that guy's Pokémon were. XD
    That weird pirate guy should have been more of a re-occuring character, even if his Pokémon weren't very good.
    98% of the female population of this forum thinks that Eeveeboy_geoff is the sexiest thing ever. If you are one of the 2% who has bad taste (or is gay, I suppose), copy-paste this into your signature. ~.^

In the anime the excuse is usually that the electric attacks aren't hurting the ground-type skin of the pokemon, but going into the moist eyes or mouth.

The kinda sequel to this was better than the original. I still love Mewtwo and I wished they would've included the Amber story because then the ending would've made more sense than the legend from the chick at the pier.

The pirate guy was hilarious in the Japanese version. His Engrish was second only to Machisu himself for humor value.
    ~

Actually, the point of the movie was to give a visual explanation of the creation of Myuutwo and push into his story further.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

PokeTrainer7783 Guest

I guess I didn't like this movie because the 1st movie was enough closure for me. I didn't really see or feel the need to dig into Mewtwo's life any further. But that's just my opinion on it. I really just thought it was boring.

I don't care if the movie has many mistakes, it's my favorite movie. It has a good message: "One's birth is irrelevant, it is the gift of life that determines who you are"
    The best Pokemon Movie.
    10/10

i think team rocket were grate in this movie...and the 'who's that pokemon' bit was very sneaky

Fabian _DS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi
    I'm not sure if it is Golem or Donphan,but a Ground Type got hurt by Thunderschok!?
    YES! that can't. I think so.
    thats realy bad for nintendo:P

It's a good movie. I liked the Pikachu Short. Has anyone seen the Baby-entei thingy in it? Trsrockin used to have a mistakes in Pokemon part and it said that. i've never seen it.

I also think they are trying to sneak the "Birth of Mew" into here. Because they keep on showing the Andes Mountains and Mew flying to them.
    I claimed Sprocket in the Claim a Animal Crossing character Thread. Sprocks Rocks!

Mandy the Rabbit's Random Quote of the Day:

Jax is back. -cries-
    Thanks Pepsa

I luved this movie! And has anyone heard that...Wait wait wait, let me start again. You all know the part where Mewtwo threw a shadowball at Mew and she was hit? Well, did any of you know (if you have the DVD and listened to commentary, you might know this) that when Mew sent back a shadowball that no one expected Mew to fight back? Apparently, I heard that part got many cheers and applauses in the theater.

I'm not sure if it's true, for when I went when I was seven, I was shocked Mew attacked, but I don't remember any cheers. And the "Who's That Pokemon?" thing? That's actually a joke. They made fun of that. And the "Brother my Brother" song? Why do people hate it? I don't get it. It goes great with the movie, seeing as it says why two people are fighting. It has a message: We must be kind to all of our brothers, which is the whole world. We shouldn't start wars. We should start peace.

That's what it means, but people have their opinions. If you hate it, go ahead. You're not offending me and other people who like it. Just like I like Hilary Duff, even though not many people listen to her songs. Everyone has different opinions. So go ahead and hate it. But I'll still continue to like the song and the movie.

10/10. It has a great message along with the sequel.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie
    And the "Brother my Brother" song? Why do people hate it? I don't get it. It goes great with the movie, seeing as it says why two people are fighting. It has a message: We must be kind to all of our brothers, which is the whole world. We shouldn't start wars. We should start peace.
    There's nothing really wrong with the song itself, it's just that it doesn't suit the scene it's in. Actually, it doesn't even suit the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon is an action anime; it shows characters challenging each other to fights in every episode. If a movie where the main characters challenge others to fight for enjoyment has a song that preaches that fighting is wrong, it makes the whole movie hypocritical. That's the reason people hated it. Not to mention, it replaced a great piece of orchestrial music that was played in the original.

But if you like it, there's nothing wrong with that.
    3DS Friend Code: 5155-3421-4718
    Friend Safari: Bug-Type (Butterfree, Volbeat, & Heracross)

Ah, I see MagicBox. Of course, I never saw the original. If I did without Mom's permission, I might get in big trouble, even if I understand it or not. Besides, I don't think she wants Pokemon to mention God in it, even though we're Mormon, due to the many atheists running around.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this:

Did you all know the Pokemon the First Movie actually has the highest-grossing opening weekend of any animated movie...ever? And this was back in 1999, when I was seven and barely remembered the movie (though I have it on VHS, dang it! ><). No other movie has beaten its record. And this was updated on the official Pokemon website in this year.

I'm surprised that this has happened. I thought Princess Monouke (or however you spell that) was the best animated movie in the U.S. I saw it and loved it (freaked out my mom because the creatures reminded her of the ones she dreamt of as a child). And wasn't Digimon popular when the movie came out in theaters? Hmm...strange...

Well, thanks for your patience reading this folks! See you soon!

~~~~~~~
    ♥Kutie Pie♥ Please be kind to midgets!
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox
    Not to mention, it replaced a great piece of orchestrial music that was played in the original.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

I have MP3's of the original music used for Myuutsu's awakening scene, the approach of his castle, and when he makes a "grand appearance" to the rest of the cast. And I gotta say that I love that music better.

Most especially with the scene of Myuutsu's awakening when he destroys the lab, the music is so perfect for that dramatic scene with the use of the typanums beating like feuneral drums (incredibly appropos considering that Myuutsu kills all of the scientists in all of 15 seconds), and the extra drama and punch provided by the organ. Absolutely fantastic.

Also, the way in which it was dubbed for english audiences completely changes Myuutsu's persona in the movie. With the original Japanese dialogue, Myuutsu is a deeply troubled and hurt philosopher. With the English (American) dialogue, he's a heartless monster with only seemingly minor issues. Call me a "Myuutsu-holic" for saying that, but I am and I take him very seriously.

PS: I realize now that this post repeats several things that I said in a post on this thread a couple pages back, I'm sorry, my memory is VERY bad....
    Last edited by ~Ψ_Madame_Leota_Ψ~; 1st March 2006 at 6:52 PM.

My Quote of the Week:

"The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."
    ~ Johnny Depp

Credits: Mewtwo Banner; Me, Trainer Card; Rainbow★Latias, Doombuggies TagLink; Doombuggies.com

This is the best Pokemon movie. I rewatched them all again and this is by far the best. It is the the funniest thing I have ever seen. The Pikachu's smacking each other, Mewtwo talking like a philosopher and Mew talking in that high pitched stupid voice, Ash punching Mewtwo and getting flown into Brock and into a pillar. The tears of the Pokemon were just plain hysterical. I don't know if the movie is meant to be a comedy but I sure did think of it that way. Putting that aside, I liked Mewtwos backstory and his super clones. I just love everything about it and it shows why Kanto truly shined.

All I have to say is that the original soundtrack was MUCH better than the dub track. Not saying that it was bad (I actually sort of enjoyed the dub movie's soundtrack from the usual generic music 4kids gives us), it was about a "meh-ish", the original just fits the scenes MUCH more perfectly and the silence in the battle scene was MUCH more fitting than Brother my Brother (I actually liked that song too, but come on!).

And I'd like to say that the original plot was way more better than the plot the dub gave us. I mean, the movie's dub is good on its own, but if you compare it to the original it's just....eh....well.... bullcrap. ~
    Last edited by Satoshi; 8th March 2006 at 3:21 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Why would the first movie be funny, seizureman? I think it's very emotional and powerful.

Pikachu being slapped wasn't funny.
    Mewtwo talking philosopher-like was his choice.
    Ash being blasted into Brock and the pillar was suspense.
    Mew talking like a squeaker...It's cute.
    The Pokémon tears wasn't hysterical. I CRIED at that part.

But of course, it's your opinion. The one's above's my opinion's to yours. Everyone has their opinions. Like the 4th movie was boring to me, but other people thought it was great. So I'm not objecting to you, seizureman. Thought I wanted to make a statement. You think what you want and I'll think what I want. So if you think the first movie's a comedy, go ahead. I don't care. (I love hearing people's opinion's. That's when I make my own.)

~~~~~~~~~
    * Kutie Pie * Please be kind to midgets!
    I survived Pupa.

Why would the first movie be funny, seizureman? I think it's very emotional and powerful.

Pikachu being slapped wasn't funny.
    Mewtwo talking philosopher-like was his choice.
    Ash being blasted into Brock and the pillar was suspense.
    Mew talking like a squeaker...It's cute.
    The Pokémon tears wasn't hysterical. I CRIED at that part.
    0__0. That movie was funny and I think the writers meant it to be that way. All of the Kanto episodes are funny and the movie follows in its footsteps. Pikachu slapping Pikachu was emotional at first......but after 20 times and seeing the clone faint from slapping was just funny. Mewtwo being a philosopher and Mew being a squeaker is funny. One pokemon being a clone of another yet one seems like a genius and the other seems like an idiot. While Mew really is a smart pokemon, it just doesn't seem like it with its playful attitude. Ash trying to hit a Pokemon 1000x stronger then him and being flown away into a bystander is hysterical. The tears was pathetic. It is impossible which is why it was funny. The movie was not meant to be action packed like two and three. It had emotional and interesting moments of Mewtwos history. But there was definitely more comedy to it than any other pokemon movie.

Hmm, now that you mention it, seizureman, it is funny. I watched the first movie on Friday night (late at night) and I noticed things that I never saw before and I just wanted to burst out laughing. Like...Who here noticed that it was Mewtwo in the chair before he started doing the storm?

If you haven't, look closely at when Nurse Joy is talking to her "master" seeing if she should sent an invitation to Ash and the other. After she finishes her sentence, you can actually see Mewtwo gesturing she should. I have never noticed that ever before (and the lights were off, so it helped) and I was like "Why is it no one noticed? PROOF! NO NEED FOR SURPRISE WHO IT IS AT THE STORM BEING MADE PART! THERE'S THE ANSWER BEFOREHAND!" in my head.

And why didn't they even bother naming the three characters at the New Island? They only mention their names in the book. That's strange. They just did the whole movie with us only knowing the regular people and not the new ones. Like...Professor John Smith (Professor Fuji for many). They didn't mention his name in it at all, only in the book. That bugs me.

So yeah, I guess you could say it's funny, but I laughed more at the second one than the first. Except for the short. I like Pikachu's Vacation...funny. "MOVE OUTTA WAY, JIGGLYPUFF! YOU'RE GOING TO GET SQUOOSHED! Ooh, too late!" But I'll go with my opinion and you go with yours. That way everyone'll be happier!

~~~~~~
    ♥Kutie Pie♥ Please be kind to midgets!
    I survived Pupa.

Wow, I havent watched this movie in YEARS! Its also hidden in my dresser. I kinda forget what happens! Thanks for reminding me topic.

Quantumpencil Guest

This is my favorite of the movies, and along with "The Birth of Mewtwo", my favorite part of the whole anime continuity. The plot was a quite well structured, and rather dramatic when compared to the rest of the anime. Unfortunately, MSB got the absolute worst dubbing out of any of the pokemon movies... I can barely even stand to watch the dub any more because of...

1 - Hypocritcal moralizing during the final moments of the movie... from the point that the god awful insert song "Brother my Brother" begins until the end. Pokemon is really not the series to be pushing such a moral, as the entire basis of the series is trainers forcing monsters to fight. The dialogue in this section of the movie was rewritten to the point that it is completely unrecognizable, and only serves to further push this "moral" on the audience.

2 - The terrible soundtrack, especially "Brother my Brother" which was not in any way appropriate to the scene in which it was used... it'snot so much that the music is bad, but rather the poor placement of the music which really irked me. Several dramatic moments were completely ruined either an inappropriate choice of music, or the strange decision to add music to silent scenes.

3 - I hated the way that throughout the entire movie, it seemed as though 4Kids was determined to make Mewtwo out to be a villain, when he was never intended to be "evil" at all. It really hurt his character, and also made his "change of heart" at the end of the film fell incredibly contrived. I was also puzzled by the decision to not air "Mewtwo and Amber" with the movie in the states. I realize that it wasn't aired with the film in Japan, but that's because it hadn't been created yet... the short adds a lot of richness to the movie, and I think it would've definitely benefited if the entire 10 minutes had been shown with the movie during it's theatrical release.

Yeah, I'd give the original a 9/10, my favorite pokemon movie and one of my favorite animate films.

I'd give the dub a 4/10... IMO, the biggest screw up 4Kids made in regard to pokemon.

Oh, about the "tears" scene, if 4kids had opted to include "Mewtwo and Amber" in the film, then Amber/Ai would have told us that "Pokemon's tears are filled with life", thus sparing us that atrociously cheesy story about the "winds of water" that the dubbers chose to add.
    Last edited by Quantumpencil; 24th March 2006 at 3:12 AM.

SecretMew is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

When I saw this first time, I thought it was one of the best movies I've ever saw. Nowadays it's pretty good. But now when I saw the original, I think it's better than ever. The musics are much more better than in the US version, and the voices sound much more better. In the dub, they made Mewtwo wannabe world ruler... In the original, he just wanted to be better than Mew and the original ones. He just wanted revenge on them who created him. So I'll give this movie 9/10 too, because the original is better, it had no name mistakes when Team Rocket saw the cloning sequence.

This movie is one of my all-time favorites! And I gotta thank the Portuguese dubbers for that... I've seen the original they used to dub it(4kids version), and I was all like, "Whoa..." Why? Because the 4kids version pales in comparision to the Portuguese one.

You know how Mewtwo sounds in the dub, right? For me, it seemed really like a super-villain wannabe. Now the Portuguese dub... Mewtwo's voice actor did a totally awesome job. Really. Because he managed to take that whole "I WANNA RULE THE WORLD CUZ I'M EBIL LOL" attitude out of the US Mewtwo. Portuguese Mewtwo really gave the impression that he was suffering much on the inside, in almost every line he said.

I still wish I could see the original Japanese version. But the DVD is so expensive...

And now, the amazing dancing Zoroark!

...Well, fudge.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast