Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mewtwo Strikes Back! (M01)

Quote Originally Posted by Mika_Coyote
    I still wish I could see the original Japanese version. But the DVD is so expensive...
    Appiently most of the computer stuff was added in the 4kids version... so I'd really like to see the orginial too.. to see the differnce. :/
    Black - JP
    FC: 1848 9979 6673 Trainer name: Billy IDNo: 65021
    White - UK
    FC: 2537 2960 7121 Trainer name: Bella IDNo: 62467
    White2 - JP
    FC: 0819 9968 5972 Trainer name: Benny IDNo: 39588
    Black2 - UK
    FC: 4170 2407 1321 Trainer name: Britney IDNo: 09957

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie
    Oh, and I forgot to mention this:

Did you all know the Pokemon the First Movie actually has the highest-grossing opening weekend of any animated movie...ever? And this was back in 1999, when I was seven and barely remembered the movie (though I have it on VHS, dang it! ><). No other movie has beaten its record. And this was updated on the official Pokemon website in this year.
    As far as I know, that's mostly incorrect. It did brake a record, true, but it's record was shattered just a week later by Toy Story (can't remember which one, though). The official Pokemon site did mention this event, but they "forgot" to mention the part where the record only lasted for a week. Not surprising, though. Would you?

Anyway, I have a question... does anyone know if there's a chronological (story time) list of every episode and movie? For instance, I know this movie happens before the Orange Islands, and it takes place after Togepi has hatched, but when exactly? Even in the episodes themselves there seems to be some inconsistencies in the chronology (like how Jessie has a Lickitung in episode 49 or how the Togepi egg is missing in episode 47, to name just a few.

Any input appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Saga
    As far as I know, that's mostly incorrect. It did brake a record, true, but it's record was shattered just a week later by Toy Story (can't remember which one, though). The official Pokemon site did mention this event, but they "forgot" to mention the part where the record only lasted for a week. Not surprising, though. Would you?

Anyway, I have a question... does anyone know if there's a chronological (story time) list of every episode and movie? For instance, I know this movie happens before the Orange Islands, and it takes place after Togepi has hatched, but when exactly? Even in the episodes themselves there seems to be some inconsistencies in the chronology (like how Jessie has a Lickitung in episode 49 or how the Togepi egg is missing in episode 47, to name just a few.

Any input appreciated!
    Well, this is ironic, I just watched this yesterday XD

But I think I do know when it's supposed to take place.....Y'know the ep when Ash beats Team Rocket for the Earth badge cuz he couldn't battle Giovanni cuz there was a problem with Mewtwo?...That part is actually taking place in the prolouge(sp?) of the movie....So mainly, the prolouge takes place at that time and then, after the main title, it went back to the present....And the present was after that episode, after the Pokémon League (or before) and before they head to the Orange Islands...

Yeah....I don't think I explain things very well ^^;;

"An' jus' remembuh, I'm da top cat!"
    ::CLAIMS::
    Bishie & Mascot: TR's Meowth || C. Bishie: Rufus the Naked Mole Rat || Celebrity: Joe Jonas
    Song: Goodnight And Goodbye (Jonas Brothers) || Anime Song: Dreams (Pokémon 2000)

My Wii Shop Channel Wishlist

This movie was kind of awesome. Mewtwo was great and I'm glad he only erased the memory of TR and not Ash and everyone. There's not much else to say about this movie.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

I remember watching this when i was 4
    If u think of it,its actually really short......... 1st there here on this.....land part den go to this port thing den go to that ......New Island where all the action was put in
    Howcum theres donphan in this movie??????? howcome theres snubull in the short???????this took place in Kanto didnt it? or Orange Islands

I enjoyed this movie when I was a child and still can watch it over...it helps that I don't give two shits about the japanese version.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDragon trainer
    This movie was kind of awesome. Mewtwo was great and I'm glad he only erased the memory of TR and not Ash and everyone. There's not much else to say about this movie.
    He erased everyone's memory, you are thinking of the Sequel Mewtwo Returns.

Pokémon X Team

Brother My Brother tell me what are we fighting for there's got to much more...to love one another.

I bet if there was a japanese song with the same **** lines it would automatically be better...I liked it I don't see the big fit...whatever if you notice it's from the same people anyway.

There wouldn't have been a Japanese song because they know better than to ruin a dramatic moment with a corny song. D: If there WAS...it still would have been a horrible musical choice.
    I don't mind the song itself, but A)It doesn't fit the moment(a song about fighting being bad...while Pokemon are fighting to the death...in a series all about people and Pokemon working together to win in battles...riiiiiight) and B)This isn't a Disney movie. We don't need songs for ANY moment. (which is actually one of my pet peeves with the Japanese version(yes, I can find flaws with that too. :O!) at times - adding in the same three songs during "climax" moments in ordinary eps(we seem to be past Ready Go! and Symphonic Medley in that, thankfully. Those two were REALLY getting overdone). It gets far more tiresome than instrumental music ever would. DX 4Kids COULD have replaced a FEW of those songs with other songs, but I really don't mind them replacing them with instrumental stuff otherwise) It gives more of a "buy our soundtrack 8D" feeling than a "we made absolutely sure that each scene's music is the best it can be" feeling. I've heard the original music for that scene, and...it's better for it overall. :/ Great music doesn't need words, people! D:

Or as Magicbox put it, only less wordy:
    There's nothing really wrong with the song itself, it's just that it doesn't suit the scene it's in. Actually, it doesn't even suit the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon is an action anime; it shows characters challenging each other to fights in every episode. If a movie where the main characters challenge others to fight for enjoyment has a song that preaches that fighting is wrong, it makes the whole movie hypocritical. That's the reason people hated it. Not to mention, it replaced a great piece of orchestrial music that was played in the original.
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster Justin
    Brother My Brother tell me what are we fighting for there's got to much more...to love one another.

I bet if there was a japanese song with the same **** lines it would automatically be better...I liked it I don't see the big fit...whatever if you notice it's from the same people anyway.
    The song's quite hypocritical for a franchise based around raising monsters to FIGHT eachother. And it's sung rather horribly.

As I said, the US soundtrack is compiled of teeny bopper artists that wanted to cash in on Pokemon and made songs that had nothing to do with the movie.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Well, I just listened to the Japanese music for that infamous scene, and I do think it's better than "Brother My Brother." That said, I think the latter also works, just in a different way. Allow me to explain:

The original music has a sort of cresendo emotion effect. It starts off simply a tune for some ultimate battle, which frankly, this is. It then moves to the more emotional stuff, and if I've judged it correctly, that should happen right around the point where the Pokemon's attacks start to do some more damage (one Charizard biting the other on the neck). I imagine that it would be at this point that it actually looks like the Pokemon are going to kill each other if someone doesn't stop the fighting.

The 4kids basically leaps into that mood straight away. Right away, the music helps you to see that this battle should simply not be happening. Now, I don't think this would be quite as effective (I haven't actually seen the Japanese version, so I wouldn't know for sure), but I think it still works fairly well.

Also, in regards to the apparent hypocrisy of "Brother My Brother", I think you may be missing the point a bit. In case you hadn't realised, the battle being fought in this scene isn't like any standard Pokemon battle. In standard Pokemon battles, there's generally no major ill will towards the opponent (certainly not on this level), and you can safely rest assured that the Pokemon will be alright after they've been healed at a Pokemon Center. In this battle, that isn't exactly the case, because the Pokemon are going to kill each other. Therefore, the scene (and the song picked for it), isn't trying to discourage the more spar-like nature of a regular Pokemon battle, but rather the hate-filled, deadly nature of a fight like this. I think the dub version of Nurse Joy put it best:

"Pokemon aren't meant to fight... not like this."

Now, say what you want about how preachy the line is, and how it almost certainly doesn't match the Japanese dialogue, but I think it displays the point 4kids were trying to make quite nicely. Of course, you might think differently.

Of course, there are plenty of other problems with the dub, which really makes me wish I could find a fansubbed version (not a request, just an idle comment).

Off the record, could anyone supply me with the translated script for the Japanese version of the scene where all the original Pokemon are fighting the clones? I would be most interested to see the original dialogue for this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by nintendofreakgcn
    Well, I just listened to the Japanese music for that infamous scene, and I do think it's better than "Brother My Brother." That said, I think the latter also works, just in a different way. Allow me to explain:

The original music has a sort of cresendo emotion effect. It starts off simply a tune for some ultimate battle, which frankly, this is. It then moves to the more emotional stuff, and if I've judged it correctly, that should happen right around the point where the Pokemon's attacks start to do some more damage (one Charizard biting the other on the neck). I imagine that it would be at this point that it actually looks like the Pokemon are going to kill each other if someone doesn't stop the fighting.

The 4kids basically leaps into that mood straight away. Right away, the music helps you to see that this battle should simply not be happening. Now, I don't think this would be quite as effective (I haven't actually seen the Japanese version, so I wouldn't know for sure), but I think it still works fairly well.

Also, in regards to the apparent hypocrisy of "Brother My Brother", I think you may be missing the point a bit. In case you hadn't realised, the battle being fought in this scene isn't like any standard Pokemon battle. In standard Pokemon battles, there's generally no major ill will towards the opponent (certainly not on this level), and you can safely rest assured that the Pokemon will be alright after they've been healed at a Pokemon Center. In this battle, that isn't exactly the case, because the Pokemon are going to kill each other. Therefore, the scene (and the song picked for it), isn't trying to discourage the more spar-like nature of a regular Pokemon battle, but rather the hate-filled, deadly nature of a fight like this. I think the dub version of Nurse Joy put it best:

"Pokemon aren't meant to fight... not like this."

Now, say what you want about how preachy the line is, and how it almost certainly doesn't match the Japanese dialogue, but I think it displays the point 4kids were trying to make quite nicely. Of course, you might think differently.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    My Shinies: NEW!! 4/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:

Some people are saying that the story was changed in the dub version. What was the original story? How was it changed?

Pokémon X Team

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster
    Some people are saying that the story was changed in the dub version. What was the original story? How was it changed?
    http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/compar...als/mov01.html dogasu does very good comparision for everything dubbed pokemon-anime-wise.
    4 Generations - 8 Teams - 48 Pokémon - 1 Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    As I said, the US soundtrack is compiled of teeny bopper artists that wanted to cash in on Pokemon and made songs that had nothing to do with the movie.
    I agree 100% with that statement. I was in fifth grade when this movie came out, and I (foolishly) bought the soundtrack for it. One of the songs was "Soda Pop," by Britney Spears. I asked why the song was on the soundtrack, and my sister (who loved Britney Spears at the time) said it was because one of the lines in the song is "Fire and Ice." I doubt this affected their decision in any way to put the song on the soundtrack.

Anyways, the movie was terrible. The perfect way to describe this movie is one that you love as a kid, but when you watch it when you're older, you ask yourself why on earth you ever bought the movie. It's filled with way too many errors, too many rewrites, and just a bad movie overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric

So true. Most of the album's songs(including the likes of N'Sync, and Mrs. Spears) had nothing to do with Pokemon. They rectified this somewhat with 'the movie 2000'. Some songs there do relate to the film's plot. And then there's Polkamon.
    Wii Console Number: 2471 5162 9486 4718
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 2449 4326 8585
    Pokemon Pearl: 0817 0421 0350
    AC: City Folk: 2063 2647 5316
    Xbox 360 GamerTag: Alex IR esq

If interested, send a private message reply posthaste.

Quote Originally Posted by PAK Man
    Anyways, the movie was terrible. The perfect way to describe this movie is one that you love as a kid, but when you watch it when you're older, you ask yourself why on earth you ever bought the movie. It's filled with way too many errors, too many rewrites, and just a bad movie overall.
    I disagree with that. To me, 'Mewtwo' is a cult classic because it's gritty looking, downbeat, and(in the original)well-written. And compare this flick to 'Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie', another 4Kids-dubbed anime-turned-movie. That film's even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonami View Post
    it's gritty looking, downbeat, and(in the original)well-written. And compare this flick to 'Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie', another 4Kids-dubbed anime-turned-movie. That film's even worse.
    Well, I've never seen the Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie, or the series itself, but I do agree with you that in the original, Mewtwo Strikes Back was well-written. I was referring to the dub when I said it was bad. What upset me is that 4Kids added in stupid references ("Vikings live in Minnesota") when the line didn't even come close to that in the original version.

What bugged me the most about this movie is how Michael Haigney and Norman Grossfeld tried covering their mistakes by saying they did that on purpose to show how stupid Team Rocket is. Do you honestly believe those mistakes were made on purpose? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PAK Man View Post
    What bugged me the most about this movie is how Michael Haigney and Norman Grossfeld tried covering their mistakes by saying they did that on purpose to show how stupid Team Rocket is. Do you honestly believe those mistakes were made on purpose? I don't.
    Well, that's valid when you look at later films and eps, where TR just falt out knows all the Pokemon, especially Meowth and James. They have pointed out guys like Murkrow, Snubble, Sharpedo, et al... And Michael and Norman pointed out that they would never let that mistake happen again.

I enjoyed this movie, particularly for the begining battle that gave us a sneek peek on Donphan and for just plain being BadAss!

I saw this movie when i was very small. I can't remember anything from it but i believe it was dubbed in finnish. (Our language). I saw a 30-second clip of dubbed episode on YouTube and i was ready to vomit after that.
    LATIAS>LATIOS, LATIAS>YOU, GOLEM>LATIAS
    I'm getting so freaking annoyed of all the LOL LOOK I CAN EDIT MT TEXtXORS freaks I am leaving for a while. don't except to see me for some time. BTW why do you even have show signatures on?

Magikarp is good.
    CLONING POKEMON OR ITEMS IS CHEATING.

I'ts a cool movie i also have enjoyed.

I prefered the Japanese soundtrack - which I can't seem to find anywhere. I found the movie pretty cheesy - even when I was 11 around seeing it at the movies. The first 15 minutes was the best I'd have to say

Our God the Suncat

I thought the movie was rather good, of course it was stupid the mistakes they made with pokemon names. but i loved the part where ash stopped the battle between mewtwo and Mew,

credit to fullarapnpokemon for the TC
    DEAD MONKEYS!!!
    mew will now destroy you with hyper beam!!MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!(please pretend to be destroyed?)
    Thanx to Lucario rox for banner.
    if you think nintendo should do a remake of g/s
    copy and paste this into your sig

(started by kyogrekyle)

Great movie, especially in the movie theatres, i dont think ill ever have the same feeling if i were to watch it again.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast