Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 265

Thread: The Power Of One (M02)

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    767

    Default

    I got the book which is kinda different because it has people say different things like:
    Slowking:''Generations of Slowking safeguard the legend with no problems, I'm on the job two weeks and some has set the whells in motion''
    Misty: Ash: Are you coming Misty? ''You are the chosen One not, me. if you want to go on a wild goose chase in the middle of the night, then you're on your own.''
    Ash: '' I thought Melody said fetching the treasures would be easy''

    Theres plenty more where these come from.
    I just thought it would a bit odd.
    Last edited by EXP:282; 27th December 2004 at 12:16 PM.
    **Banner made by me. Click the banner to visit my deviantART**
    - + - + - + -
    - + - + - + -

  2. #27

    Default Lugia =/= The Beast of the sea?

    When I first heard the Prophecy, I thought that Lugia was the Beast of the Sea. It's easy to think that based on what Lawrence says in the begining:

    Lawrence III: Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice and Lightning
    Lest these Titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash.
    Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting
    Alone its song shall fail and the earth shall turn to Ash.

    O chosen one, into thine hands bring together all three
    Their treasures combined tame the Beast of the Sea. Lugia!


    From this it seems that the prophecy states that Lugia is the beast of the sea. But what if we write it like this:

    Lawrence (reciting): Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice and Lightning
    Lest these Titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash.
    Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting
    Alone its song shall fail and the earth shall turn to Ash.

    O chosen one, into thine hands bring together all three
    Their treasures combined tame the Beast of the Sea.

    Lawrence(Musing): Lugia!

    I feel that the word Lugia is not part of the prophecy and therefore we have no proof that it is the Beast of the sea, although Lawrence III seems to think so. His interpetation: If thou bringst the Titans of Fire, Ice and Lightning together, then Lugia shall be thy prize. But I also don't think Lugia could be the Beast because it is already described as the Water's Great Guardian. This time we have proof of this, as Slowking and Melody both call Lugia this when it appears. Therefore, I submit that Lugia is NOT the Beast of the Sea.

    But then, who/what is the Beast? I think Prof Oak has already given us the answer. While inside the helicopter, he tells the reporters that the unbalenced fire+ice(water) and lightning could form an swirling underwater current that could flood the planet. He describes it as "a churning 'beast of the sea'." When I first saw 2000, I thought that Oak was barking up the wrong tree. But now that I no longer see Lugia as the Beast, I agree that the current could very well be the Beast!

    The prophecy talks about "taming" the Beast of the Sea. Recall the watery looking rainbow thing that rises up at the end, once all is peaceful? I submit that that is the current/beast, no longer a threat!

    What do you think?

    By the way, Stacee, that's what you have to expect in a novelization. The writers can't use the exact origional dialouge for some reason, and so they make up some of their own. It ends up having a far different result. So get your information from the movies, not the books!
    Last edited by Mastercougar; 2nd January 2005 at 3:45 PM.
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

    And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

    Peace out.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Yeah it's pretty obvious that the vicious underwater current was the "beast of the sea". Lugia itself said that the beast of the sea "has been tamed" at the end of the movie, and the events had nothing to do with taming Lugia, but everything to do with calming the weather.

    Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    700

    Default

    I didn't get that grren haired gal, who was she (i kno shes Karen) but why is she on a boat with Ash n co :S anyone kno anything bout her?!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,258

    Default

    Uh..she's the boat owner and she's the one that steered the boat for Satoshi-tachi. o_O
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  6. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Yeah it's pretty obvious that the vicious underwater current was the "beast of the sea". Lugia itself said that the beast of the sea "has been tamed" at the end of the movie, and the events had nothing to do with taming Lugia, but everything to do with calming the weather.
    Exactly. Although I didn't get it at first, and I guess not everyone does, since I saw something in someone's sig calling Lugia the Beast of the Sea.
    For various reasons, (not least because I've grown tired of this username), I've moved my operations over to other websites. If you're interested in following my adventures as I explore and subvert the many worlds of Nintendo through prose, look for me on Archive of Our Own, Bulbagarden, or OverClocked ReMix as "Daidalos."

    And if you're a fan or a comic-maker from the old days, thanks for more than five unforgettable years of community, comics, and creativity. And thanks for remembering.

    Peace out.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,569

    Default

    In the dub, Lawrence seems to be misinterpreting the prophesy to mean he's the "chosen one" who will collect the gods. This is quite different from the original, where he clearly knows perfectly well what he's doing, and does it anyway.

    Hi no kami, kaminari no kami, koori no kami ni fureru bekarazu
    Sareba tenchi ikari sekai wa hametsu ni mukau
    Umi no kami hametsu wo sukuwan to arawaren
    Saredo sekai no hametsu wo fusegu koto narazu
    Suguretaru ayatsuribito araware, kamigami no ikari shizumen kagiri


    You must not touch the God of Fire, God of Ice, and God of Lightning
    If you do, Heaven and Earth shall be angered, and the world shall face destruction
    The God of the Sea shall appear to try to stop the destruction
    But it will be unable to prevent the destruction of the world.
    A great[1] trainer[2] shall appear, to calm the gods' wrath[3].

    [1]suguretaru has two interpretations. First is the one I have used here, meaning exceptionally good. Second is "chosen as the best", which is reflected in the dub.
    [2]ayatsuribito literally means "a person who controls/manipulates". It is explained early in the movie as referring to a Pokemon Trainer.
    [3]I have yet to fully figure out what kagiri does to the meaning of this sentence. It may mean that the trainer will calm the gods to the best of his ability, with no guarantee of success.

    Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,161

    Default

    Gotta like the dubbers' sense of humor in this movie though...through most of the movie, the line "And the earth shall turn to ash" was assumed to mean it would be destroyed, since we never saw the legend in English written form. But towards the end, we saw the hidden meaning, that it wasn't "ash", but "Ash". That was cute.

    Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Yeah I don't think I figured the fact that Ash was apart of the Legend until it was mentioed :P But I was 9 years old when it was released Anyway, this is my most FAVORITE Pokemon movie so far, I have sen 1-6. This was my fave ever since it was released because of the story-line and the quotes man they were funny. I now like it even more cuz I'm a Pokeshipper (I wasn't when I was 9 lol cuz I didn't know that it seemed like Misty liked Ash :P i wonder what I was thinking when I heard all those quote Melody said and stuff :S) Anyway so they have the most hints so I love that and I adore the music 'The Power of One' was amazing and I was laughing so hard when 'Polkamon' played cuz I'm a fan of Weird Al and I though he sang it :P Anyway I give it a 10/10 because og the storyline, music, shippyness :P ans just everthing over all. XD!!!!

  10. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd
    In the dub, Lawrence seems to be misinterpreting the prophesy to mean he's the "chosen one" who will collect the gods. This is quite different from the original, where he clearly knows perfectly well what he's doing, and does it anyway.
    See, I disagree. He doesn't think of himself enough for this to be logical. If he were more egocentric, perhaps, but he isn't.

    Of course, we've discussed this elsewhere, haven't we?

    Speaking of whom, why do people call him a "Pokémon collector" when there's no evidence that he's ever had Pokémon in his life?


    As for the explination of the current, that would make some sense, but I think it may be a double meaning. Hasn't Lugia been refered to as the 'beast of the sea' or the 'guardian of the sea' elsewhere?
    Not to mention there's no way a current could do all that. Unless it's, ya know, 'magic' or something, but such a thing was never fully explained to my satisfaction.

    I also think that Jirarudan was originally meant to be a far more intimidating character than he wound up, owing to the likely origin of his name, the darkness of his score theme, and the preliminary reports about his role in the movie. But as it was, he came off as being greedy at worst, and more delusional.

    Oh yes, and one more thing--if he had captured Articuno, he could have gotten away with it. Their powers would have all been in balance again, right?

    You know, I wonder--if something *else* happened to knock them out of alignment, it couldn't be set right. Say an earthquake took out one of their islands. Nothing could stop the impending doom.
    Last edited by Blackjack Gabbiani; 10th January 2005 at 11:23 PM.

  11. #36
    RaikouRider243 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    Oh yes, and one more thing--if he had captured Articuno, he could have gotten away with it. Their powers would have all been in balance again, right?
    Indeed, you are correct. That explains why the entire area was covered in ice. The force of Ice was the only force left of the three. Had he captured Articuno, the three forces would have balanced at virtually zero, but still balanced. After temporarily draining them of their powers, Lawrence simply could have moved them to Ultra Balls or something. That way, they could not resist *true* capture. He then could have used them to get to anf fight Lugia. Of course, Lugia would pwn all three of them. I am assuming it had Recover...

  12. #37

    Default

    If it had Recover, it probably would have used it rather than sinking to the ocean's floor and bemoaning "I...am defeated" or whatever it said.

    Seriously, Lugia was fairly weak until the Guardian's Song was played. Which is another thing that makes me think it's also the Beast of the Sea rather than just the current, because the song affected it.

  13. #38
    lugia65 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_Bugsy
    I liked it because of Jiri (I REFUSE ta call him Lawrence III. Period.), and because Tracey was ACTUALLY in a movie. With a big role.

    I wish he would've saved the world. ; ;
    Same here ^^ I just think Jiraduan is so cyuuute^^ also its my favorite because it has rugia in it aswell Anyway who thought of calling Jiri LawrenceIII...that name totaly degrades him >.> I also enjoyed when melody was playing her flute instrument the music was cool

  14. #39

    Default

    Well, "Lawrence" isn't so bad of a name until you consider the meanings behind both names...

    "Jirarudan" comes from "Girardin", a believer in the theories of Rene Girard. Girard has written extensively about the connection between ancient legends and modern problems.

    Wheras "Lawrence" means..."crowned with laurel". I think it's a dig at his (admittedly bizarre) hairstyle.

  15. #40
    LugiaMew Guest

    Default

    I actually didn't like Lugia until I saw that movie. Lugia means a lot to me. Sacrifice is one of the noblest things you can do, and Lugia, in a way, sacrificed himself for the world.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I'm not orriginaly- I love this movie too The best scene was this in which Fururu kissed Satoshi Ohh! This Kasumi's apoplexy and Kasumi's jealousy! I love it!
    Fururu to Kasumi: You get married.
    It's so grate! Hiehiehie... :>
    My favourite legendary Pokemon of this free Pokemon birds is Articuno. He is pretty cute :P
    And this music! Music is the best! And when Kasumi salvaged Satoshi :P
    Last edited by Kasumi; 22nd February 2005 at 8:09 PM.

  17. #42
    Pika_who? Guest

    Default

    Out of the 4 films I've seen so far, this is my favourite. The animation is stunning and is a great improvement on Mewtwo Strikes Back. Plus I doubt you could go wrong with 4 legendary pokemon!

    Although the lack of expression on Lawrence III's face made me laugh - the ship is about to crash and he only looks mildly bored?

    It would have been interesting to have a commentary on the DVD as well. :-(
    Last edited by Pika_who?; 24th February 2005 at 10:57 PM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mastercougar
    When I first heard the Prophecy, I thought that Lugia was the Beast of the Sea. It's easy to think that based on what Lawrence says in the begining:

    Lawrence III: Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice and Lightning
    Lest these Titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash.
    Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting
    Alone its song shall fail and the earth shall turn to Ash.

    O chosen one, into thine hands bring together all three
    Their treasures combined tame the Beast of the Sea. Lugia!


    From this it seems that the prophecy states that Lugia is the beast of the sea. But what if we write it like this:

    Lawrence (reciting): Disturb not the harmony of Fire, Ice and Lightning
    Lest these Titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash.
    Though the Water's Great Guardian shall arise to quell the fighting
    Alone its song shall fail and the earth shall turn to Ash.

    O chosen one, into thine hands bring together all three
    Their treasures combined tame the Beast of the Sea.

    Lawrence(Musing): Lugia!

    I feel that the word Lugia is not part of the prophecy and therefore we have no proof that it is the Beast of the sea, although Lawrence III seems to think so. His interpetation: If thou bringst the Titans of Fire, Ice and Lightning together, then Lugia shall be thy prize. But I also don't think Lugia could be the Beast because it is already described as the Water's Great Guardian. This time we have proof of this, as Slowking and Melody both call Lugia this when it appears. Therefore, I submit that Lugia is NOT the Beast of the Sea.

    But then, who/what is the Beast? I think Prof Oak has already given us the answer. While inside the helicopter, he tells the reporters that the unbalenced fire+ice(water) and lightning could form an swirling underwater current that could flood the planet. He describes it as "a churning 'beast of the sea'." When I first saw 2000, I thought that Oak was barking up the wrong tree. But now that I no longer see Lugia as the Beast, I agree that the current could very well be the Beast!

    The prophecy talks about "taming" the Beast of the Sea. Recall the watery looking rainbow thing that rises up at the end, once all is peaceful? I submit that that is the current/beast, no longer a threat!

    What do you think?

    By the way, Stacee, that's what you have to expect in a novelization. The writers can't use the exact origional dialouge for some reason, and so they make up some of their own. It ends up having a far different result. So get your information from the movies, not the books!
    If memory serves, isn't it "Thus the earth shall turn to Ash". And conisdering that Lawrence pauses between the legend and saying Lugia then it is obvious that Lugia isn't part of the legend say.
    Breezy is my little sister. Anyone who messes with her has to answer to me!
    My Twin's are Trillian and Sakara

  19. #44
    SecretMew is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    349

    Default

    This is the second best movie. The plot is good, and the dub version is ok, but still I would hope to see the japanese one... Musics were ok this time, but I don`t think that they are better than in the japanese... I`ll rate this 8/10.

  20. #45
    PokeFan4Ever7783 Guest

    Default

    I thought this was also a good movie. After seeing Mewtwo Strikes back anything was better then that. Sorry but the first movie really let me down. Thankfully this movie picked me right back up. Much better action, animation, and by far in my opinon a better storyline. I have seen this movie in it's original Japanese Version. It's better than the dubbed.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong and Australia
    Posts
    436

    Default

    I think that This movie is little romantic becuase As Ash Ketchum fell down from Lugia who was shot down by 3 god Pokemons .Misty Waterflower swam in cold sea water to save him . We can see that Misty love Ash very Much .Also ,the Pokemon 2000 take Myth- taste .Ash use 3 power balls to save the world and Uniserve .Lugia was a sea god ,pet of Poseidon . I think tis movie is edited from Greek Myth.

    DO you agree that?huh?

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange*Berry
    Same! >:3 Double same! 'Cept furura would need to keep her paws off him. >.> *Grr*
    Kenji was in the third and fourth movies too, but it was only for a few moments, sadly. T.T

    i love that movie!! mainley cos of tracey...but its got a great story. we need more kenjiness

    thanks to Yoru Ryu for making this tracey doll that i have adopted

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    74

    Default

    I really love this movie. Because Ash saves the world and really good music. There is nothing better than this movie. I dare ya. I double dog dare yato see this movie. This is gonna be awesome!

  24. #49
    Koffing Breeder Guest

    Default

    This was great movie! Action, Adventure, Humor, just a touch of romance, everything that makes the show and what let the first movie down!!! Its a shame Tracey did *Nothing* in this movie though...
    James saying he stays away from the opposite sex makes me laugh so much...
    Also Brocks cameo was well put in. Though the second peice of music in the ending credits scares the heck outta me!!!

  25. #50
    Blue_Poliwhirl24 Guest

    Default

    This is in my opinion the best Pokémon movie (I have just seen the four first movies). Lugia is just one of my favorite Pokémon in and outside of the games. Lawrence III was in my opinion kinda of a strange guy, this maybe because you would like to learn more what happened before him capturing the legendary birds (two out of three, not bad). This movie has got the best script and lines of all the Pokémon moves I have seen. As a true Ash + Misty = True Fan I can say they show (at least Misty does) that she really likes Ash, oh I just love the scenes where Misty tries to denie her feelings for Ash and so on...but I have seen this movie like a thousand times so it gets boring at times, but in whole this movie is the best (but not the best movie I have seen)...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •