Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 176 to 198 of 198

Thread: The Spell of the Unown! (M03)

  1. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    This third Pokemon movie is another favorite of mine. It was more original and adventurous than the previous two, and had more emotional scenes along with some really good battles. I particularly enjoyed Kasumi and Mii's underwater battle. It was also easy to sympathize with Mii, even though I still wanted her to be stopped. Entei also rocked even though he wasn't a real one, just a fake made by the Unknown.

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Ash's mom being involved here was interesting and I felt so sad for Molly when her dad went missing. The mansion looked amazing with the crystals and seeing Misty and Brock battle Molly was great. Charizard vs Entei was the highlight for me.

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    Ash's mom being involved here was interesting and I felt so sad for Molly when her dad went missing.
    Too bad Hanako mainly served as a damsel in distress. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she was here, it's just that she felt redundant in the grand scheme of things.

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Rolla, Missouri
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    I liked this movie a lot. It had an awesome story to it and the battle with Misty and Molly underwater was wicked cool.
    Yeah, this movie made me cry. It is such a good movie. I think that Entei was real, in a sense. All the dreams and memories of her father came back to life. It showed that even though he was gone, the memories and love never left her. At the end, when Entei was going to help her out of there, it really hit home. Such a beautiful movie.

    At the end, when Entei was shouting to believe in him, I think it had much more of a meaning that what was just being said. It may have not technically been her father, but I believe it was voiced by the same person for a reason. It was the manifestation of the love her father and her shared.

    Entei saying "Just keep me close in your dreams" followed by Molly saying "Papa" shows all of that. Her father was able to reach her because of his love, even if he passed on. Who knows? Maybe Entei was actually her father, and the Unknown reincarnated him... Also, if Enti wasn't the reincarnation of her father, why was it able to stand up to the unknown so easily, if the Unknown were the ones that created it? They started to control everything else in the world, so it doesn't make sense that they couldn't control him too. Either way, the meaning of the whole movie truly touches my heart. That is why this movie is so amazing. Sorry for getting so sappy, everyone.
    Last edited by UmbrionKnight; 13th August 2016 at 6:34 AM.
    lmao this site's mods get triggered over everything so easily I'm out. bad website, won't be returning.

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Entei being Molly's puppet made me think less of him because he existed only to fulfill her wishes. I wish this Entei had been a real one, not some Unown spawn.

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by datdimfb View Post
    Too bad Hanako mainly served as a damsel in distress. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she was here, it's just that she felt redundant in the grand scheme of things.
    Ash's mom was probably given that role simply to motivate Ash to enter the mansion to rescue her, so I understand why she was mostly treated as a hostage. From my perspective tho, it was better than nothing. ^^;

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Eh, Ash's mom did seem kind of pointless, though she was a good substitute for Molly's mom. I don't get who that lady at the end was, though: I thought Molly's mom had died?

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    I don't get who that lady at the end was, though: I thought Molly's mom had died?
    From what I've read, Molly's mother had been ill at a hospital the whole time. So the woman who showed up in the film's ending credits with her father was actually Molly's real mother who had returned home finally hee hee.

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    From what I've read, Molly's mother had been ill at a hospital the whole time. So the woman who showed up in the film's ending credits with her father was actually Molly's real mother who had returned home finally hee hee.
    Oh lol. I don't think that was explained when I watched this movie, so I was wondering who she was and why she was only shown in the credits.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    Oh lol. I don't think that was explained when I watched this movie, so I was wondering who she was and why she was only shown in the credits.
    Yea I think the dubbed version skipped on telling us what happened to Molly's mother for some reason, tho the Japanese version apparently mentioned what had happened to her. I do wish the dub had given us that same bit of information. :[

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    The only thing that I disliked more than this movie's rushed ending, was Ash's Charizard's sudden comeback, which made almost no sense and seemed like fan service...

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    Yea I think the dubbed version skipped on telling us what happened to Molly's mother for some reason, tho the Japanese version apparently mentioned what had happened to her. I do wish the dub had given us that same bit of information. :[
    The English dubbed version of the movie claimed that Mrs. Hale had disappeared. I believe the Japanese version stated that she left her husband because he was a workaholic, or something along those lines. (It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Request a banner from Studio Satomine Graphics
    More signature banners: You Fool! | Suspicious Classmates | Laugh Together | Got Nassy? | Edgelord Smash


  13. #188
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    The only thing that I disliked more than this movie's rushed ending, was Ash's Charizard's sudden comeback, which made almost no sense and seemed like fan service...
    I thought him showing up in Greenfield was great cuz he helped Ash during his battle with Entei. I liked how we saw Charizard watching the news broadcast as well since it explained how Charizard knew where to find Ash. And Liza's cameo was cool.

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    I thought him showing up in Greenfield was great cuz he helped Ash during his battle with Entei. I liked how we saw Charizard watching the news broadcast as well since it explained how Charizard knew where to find Ash. And Liza's cameo was cool.
    That battle was one of the coolest scenes in the entire movie. Charizard's appearance might have been a bit of fanservice, but it was awesome fanservice! I actually thought Charizard's appearance was set up decently well enough. It was also nice that it went out of its way to find and help its Trainer.

    Overall, I really liked Spell of the Unown. Unlike in many of the movies, where Ash and his friends happen to be in the right place at the right time and get involved in the plot because Ash apparently has Chronic Hero Syndrome, this time, Ash had a more personal reason for getting involved--his mother was kidnapped. Additionally, the Hales weren't just complete strangers; Prof. Hale was Delia Ketchum's old friend and Professor Oak's former student. So, Professor Oak and Delia actually had a reason to be in Greenfield.

    I also liked how Molly, despite being the technical villain of the movie, was a very sympathetic character. My heart just reached out to her. She was hardly villainous at all; she only did what she did because of her psychological trauma at losing her father, and she was too young to really understand the consequences of her actions.

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Request a banner from Studio Satomine Graphics
    More signature banners: You Fool! | Suspicious Classmates | Laugh Together | Got Nassy? | Edgelord Smash


  15. #190
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    Entei being Molly's puppet made me think less of him because he existed only to fulfill her wishes. I wish this Entei had been a real one, not some Unown spawn.
    In retrospect though, this movie's Entei being an imaginary one seemed more logical than a real Entei getting involved in the plot. I just can't imagine how the movie's production and writing staff would've justified a random Entei becoming Mii's guardian.

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhart View Post
    In retrospect though, this movie's Entei being an imaginary one seemed more logical than a real Entei getting involved in the plot. I just can't imagine how the movie's production and writing staff would've justified a random Entei becoming Mii's guardian.
    Well, they've handled worse coincidences. A wild Entei starring here could have made sense if the plot had focused on Johto's Legendary Beasts more.

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhart View Post
    I just can't imagine how the movie's production and writing staff would've justified a random Entei becoming Mii's guardian.
    I didn't mind how the Unowns made the fake Entei for that exact reason since it would've seemed odd if the Entei was real and took commands from Molly. But even tho Entei wasn't real, I still felt really sad when it said farewell to Molly. :[

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    724

    Default

    It was too convenient that Molly knew Ash and his mother and I didn't think the whole mom plot was handled well since it made Delia act like a damsel in distress while Molly was stuck in her crazy fantasy world. This movie had subtle sexism vibes.

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloutℯ View Post
    It was too convenient that Molly knew Ash and his mother and I didn't think the whole mom plot was handled well since it made Delia act like a damsel in distress while Molly was stuck in her crazy fantasy world. This movie had subtle sexism vibes.
    It was a little too convenient that Molly's father was friends with Ash's mother, but I disagree about the mom plot not being handled well or there being sexist vibes. Delia never struck me as a damsel in distress once she broke out of her brainwashing. She wanted to help Molly (I think her motherly instincts kicked in and she couldn't leave the little girl alone), which is the entire reason she went to Greenfield in the first place. There wasn't much she could do, since she didn't have a Pokémon and the heroes were up against a legendary beast, even if that beast was a figment of Molly's imagination.

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Request a banner from Studio Satomine Graphics
    More signature banners: You Fool! | Suspicious Classmates | Laugh Together | Got Nassy? | Edgelord Smash


  20. #195
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloutℯ View Post
    It was too convenient that Molly knew Ash and his mother and I didn't think the whole mom plot was handled well since it made Delia act like a damsel in distress while Molly was stuck in her crazy fantasy world. This movie had subtle sexism vibes.
    Sexist how? Because for instance Misty did a lot here, which kinda breaks that argument.

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    56

    Default

    My impressions of Spell of the Unown when I first saw it were: very ambitious and daring in subject matter and art direction, but the pace is rushed and the stakes feel weak. I put it in the middle tier of pokefilms.

    I definitely missed something on that viewing.

    The design work in this film is spectacular. It’s so great that I have to take issue with one of the lines: when the characters lament that Greenfield is supposed to be beautiful but has been made a wasteland (”and not only dat, it looks bad,”) my reaction was “dudes, this looks ****ing sweet!”

    I don’t know how I came away the first time feeling that the stakes were lacking. True, it’s only when Ash and Entei begin to fight that anyone feels in physical danger, but the potential threat behind the Unown’s power in the hands of Molly and her loneliness is made clear well before that. To have such an unorthodox, and innocent, antagonist was a brilliant stroke of writing by Takeshi Shudo and Hideki Sonoda. The Johto years seem to be the ones where Pokémon began to become aware of its international franchise status and begin moving toward a more stable, “safe” formula, so it’s great that gutsy choices like making a sad little girl’s dreams the main threat still happened at that time.

    And after watching all of these flicks, Unown is the only film that managed to give all of the main cast (if you don’t count the TRio) decent roles. The overriding arc for them is the rescue of Ash’s mother, which makes Brock and Misty the support team for Ash, but they’re well used in that capacity, and Ash’s arc ties in nicely to Molly’s issues. This is also the only pokefilm that I feel really worked at showcasing Ash’s group as a whole unit. The Sinnoh films let Ash and Dawn work as a team, Jirachi made Ash and Max a team, Kyurem showed Cilan and Iris individually working to support Ash, and Diancie let the travelling companions have a moment, but this is the one time the whole crew effectively bounced off and supported each other throughout. It’s a shame that Misty and Brock weren’t more involved in the finale, but for Brock especially, the film up until that point is a triumph.

    And of all of Team Rocket’s “why are we even here” turns in these movies, this is probably the least wasteful.

    I still have quibbles with the picture. While the pace isn’t as rushed as I remember, it is uneven in the beginning. I would have liked more of a moment made out of Molly’s turn during the Charizard/Entei battle. And, having said that, I think a lot of the power behind her choice to turn away from the dream world she’s built up and deal with reality is taken away by the last conflict with the Unown, a conflict that feels tacked on and a bit nonsensical. But Spell of the Unown is still a fantastic pokefilm, and this re-watch has raised it from middle tier to #3.
    And I had to laugh at a line of Brock’s: “you’re not leaving me behind.” You poor schlub. If you knew then what Sinnoh would be like…

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    At my exact coordinates
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Spell of the Unown is, hands down, my favorite Pokemon film. I'm also pretty sure I got to see it in theaters, which probably helped to cement my position on it. It is here that we get to see my favorite recurring character (Delia) show that she was once a brilliant student of Professor Oak's. The decision to connect Ash indirectly to the antagonist of the film was also a good idea. There are three main aspects of Pokemon: battling, collecting, and companionship. The first 3 movies deconstruct these concepts in order. Mewtwo deconstruct battling, Lugia collecting. But the Unown movie shows just how dangerous having a powerful companion in the hands of a sad child can be. And the Unown are so alien. They're clearly functioning with a different mindset. And the question of Entei? Was he actually Molly's father convinced by the Unown he was an Entei, or was he an illusion of the Unown that somehow gained a form of sentience while the Unown tried to grant her a perfect world? This was also the first movie that felt like a movie. The stakes were high, the threat was someone who didn't realize the harm they were causing, and it truly felt like the world was in danger. Misty and Brock didn't get left out of the action either. They both tried to reason with Molly through battling her and her team of invincible Pokémon as well as to distract her so the rescue operation could continue. Of course, who could forget Charizard swooping in to rescue Ash from falling to his death as well as the role he played in ultimately defeating the Unown? And once everything is back to normal, our antagonist gets her father back, so it's a happy ending all around.
    Hey, the new subs I found do use Snowball. I win.

    I enjoy writing.

    Some people want to blend into the crowd.
    Some people want to stand out from the crowd.
    I want to be the crowd.

    Staying off Serebii on 9/21 until I can watch the episode personally.


    Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zdbz_sn View Post
    but the pace is rushed and the stakes feel weak.
    The stakes seemed appropriate to me. While this movie lacked a major villain, the fact that Mii was basically alone in her mansion while it was encased in magical crystals and had Unknown causing all kinds of bizarre things was dangerous enough. Then of course Satoshi's mom was also essentially being held hostage, which made the situation rather grim.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •