Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 106

Thread: Hoopa & The Clash of Ages (18)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    17,416

    Default Hoopa & The Clash of Ages (18)

    Hoopa & The Clash of Ages

    One hundred years ago, the desert city "Désser City" got severely damaged in a battle between Pokémon. The battle was started due to one specific Pokémon. However, the Pokémon got sealed by someone, and the city went back to being as peaceful as ever, a state it still is in today.

    As Ash, Pikachu and the others continue their journey, they encounter the mythical Pokémon Hoopa, who carries "rings that can summon anything and everything", and a girl named Mary who takes care of Hoopa. The mischievous Hoopa starts summoning all kinds of things from its rings, including its favorite food, donuts, to everyone's surprise and enjoyment.

    Ever a prankster, the simple-minded and innocent Hoopa starts referring to Ash and Pikachu as "Saton" and "Pikan". It quickly befriends the group, and they all decide to travel together. Once they arrive in Désser City, Ash and the others meet Mary's older brother, Barza.

    However, something seems off about him. On a closer look, he's holding the "Prison Bottle" that's said to have sealed the Pokémon that once destroyed the city! An evil air drifts out of the bottle, eventually turning into a huge shadow. The shadow gradually becomes visible; It is Hoopa's original "Unbound Form": "Super Hoopa"!

    The Pokémon that went on a rampage 100 years ago was Super Hoopa! Hoopa's original power got sealed in the bottle, but over this long period of time, this immense power has changed into "Rage" and ultimately got reborn as the shadowy Super Hoopa.

    The unbound Hoopa goes on a rampage, calling forth legendary Pokémon from its 6 rings! Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Kyurem... This will put the city in extreme danger. In order to protect the city, Hoopa makes more legendary Pokémon "Appear!" from its rings!

    This truly is "Legend VS Legend"! A battle that tears the earth to shreds, splits the sea and even distorts space! Will Ash and his friends manage to protect Désser City alongside the legendary Pokémon Hoopa made "Appear!"? And how will the fight between Hoopa and Super Hoopa end!? The most fierce battle in Pokémon movie history is about to begin!


    Visit The Movie Guide

    Discuss

    (Note: This thread is not for speculation. If you haven't seen the movie yourself, limit your posts to direct replies to reports from those who have.)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pompey, England
    Posts
    11

    Default

    (18)? Blimey... That's a pretty big BBFC rating for a Pokémon film sounds violent...
    Why am I here?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nooneinparticular View Post
    (18)? Blimey... That's a pretty big BBFC rating for a Pokémon film sounds violent...
    That's the movie number, not the rating. If it were, not many people would watch it, cause their parents won't let them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pompey, England
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I knew it meant something different I was being deeply ironic. Joe cleared it up for me. Still can't believe there are 18 movies. I collected several of them starting with "The Power of One". I reckon "Spell of the Unown" is my favorite because it had a tragic plot. You don't get much of that with the series.
    Why am I here?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,244

    Default

    Has there been any word on the dub release? Do the movies have a showing on Cartoon Network at around this time, or is Cartoon Network once again not advertising the movie well?
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I don't know where to put this but according to my Bell TV (Satellite) guide, for Channel 1653 (Teletoon High Definition)

    Hoopa and the Clash of Ages will air on November 14th at 10:15am.

    I don't know if it's the same date as the United States as Canada's a week ahead in episodes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,850

    Default

    Since it's aired, anyone get the list of voice actors? And maybe confirmation of the correct spelling of Mary's dub name/Ghris's dub name in general via subtitles?

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 20: The Weight of the World (Part 2)
    Next: Father

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    460

    Default

    just saw the dubbed movie today on TV, it was rather underwhelming. it did have a lot of action and i got to see a few legendries i like but the sheer amount they included was a bit too much. if they cut down on it by a few less then id think the plot would've been less driven by showcasing legendaries. it would've left more room for a good storyline in the movie.

    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

    latest shiny :656:
    GMT-5hrs

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotel Cortez
    Posts
    58,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
    just saw the dubbed movie today on TV, it was rather underwhelming. it did have a lot of action and i got to see a few legendries i like but the sheer amount they included was a bit too much. if they cut down on it by a few less then id think the plot would've been less driven by showcasing legendaries. it would've left more room for a good storyline in the movie.
    Showcasing many Legendaries was the gimmick of this film though: Yes the plot suffered as a result, but that was the price for the other shenanigans unfortunately.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    Showcasing many Legendaries was the gimmick of this film though: Yes the plot suffered as a result, but that was the price for the other shenanigans unfortunately.
    i got that feeling rather early on in the movie, especially 2/3 in when they got the upgrades. i understand the point to test the strength VS legendaries but focusing a a few select would've done better. take the Keldeo movie, there were just enough legendaries to be just right. that point aside the hoopa movie wont rank too high on the list of the movies that i saw. hoopa's talking was fine though the voice did irk me a bit. id give the movie a 5-6/10 at best for focusing on the gimmicks. lol this movie's premises does remind me of a heavy metal's group song.

    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

    latest shiny :656:
    GMT-5hrs

  11. #11

    Default

    So did it air in the US as well. If not when will it?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Since it's aired, anyone get the list of voice actors? And maybe confirmation of the correct spelling of Mary's dub name/Ghris's dub name in general via subtitles?
    I wasn't able to watch with subtitles, but I do have a screenshot of the voice actors taken from Youtube. I'm fairly sure now that Mary's dub name is Miray. That's how she pronounces it, and that apparently is a name found in the region where the film draws its inspiration.

    60% of SPPF don't miss the glitches Missingno and 'M from R/B/Y/G/S/C. If you are one of those 40% who miss our pals the glitches, copy and paste this into your signature (started by MYSTERIOUS MISSINGNO)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kanto
    Posts
    132

    Default

    They replaced the old and nostalgic ''To be continued'' theme remix, right?

    The dub strikes again.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    22

    Default

    One thing I found weird.

    No version of Be A Hero.

    Aren't the long versions of the openings in the movie that season is based in

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P_S_B View Post
    I wasn't able to watch with subtitles, but I do have a screenshot of the voice actors taken from Youtube. I'm fairly sure now that Mary's dub name is Miray. That's how she pronounces it, and that apparently is a name found in the region where the film draws its inspiration.

    Thank you.

    After watching it, I reason that Jake Paque is Ghris. Wayne Grayson was very obviously Baraz, and if I had to take a guess on Miray's, I'd pick Kate Bristol.

    A lot of those actors' names I don't even have any clue who they are, an unusually high number for one of these movies. I can't even figure out all the characters that were even in this that they could have played.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 20: The Weight of the World (Part 2)
    Next: Father

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cyberspace
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Thank you.

    After watching it, I reason that Jake Paque is Ghris. Wayne Grayson was very obviously Baraz, and if I had to take a guess on Miray's, I'd pick Kate Bristol.

    A lot of those actors' names I don't even have any clue who they are, an unusually high number for one of these movies. I can't even figure out all the characters that were even in this that they could have played.
    Miray may not be Kate Bristol. Here's the list for the Hoopa short, and she's not on it. Then again neither is Wayne Grayson, so how accurate this list is is debatable.
    60% of SPPF don't miss the glitches Missingno and 'M from R/B/Y/G/S/C. If you are one of those 40% who miss our pals the glitches, copy and paste this into your signature (started by MYSTERIOUS MISSINGNO)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Standard Dimension
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deafcat View Post
    One thing I found weird.

    No version of Be A Hero.

    Aren't the long versions of the openings in the movie that season is based in
    Yes, but that's usually only if the Japanese version of the film uses a longer version of the current Japanese opening that is running, during the release of the film.
    Since there wasn't a longer version of Getta Ban Ban in the Japanese version of Movie 18, there wasn't a longer version of Be a Hero in the English Dub.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    7,244

    Default

    Is it just me, or was there some skipping around?

    Are we really that surprised the plot's weak, shoved to the side for all sorts of nearly-unrelated but gimmicky Legendary Pokémon battles? Also I know that continuity is not a thing when it comes to the movies, and it might have been unintentional and I'm just looking way too hard into it, but the shout-outs just came off almost like "Hey, hey, remember these from previous movies? We still remember!" It also makes Ash more of a blatant Chosen One than before, especially with him ordering Legendaries to attack, and I don't think that's a good thing. Maybe I wouldn't have minded so much if the Latios and Latias (her specifically) were the exact same ones from the fifth movie (Latios would either be the father that arrived to Alto Mare at the end of that movie, or a grown up baby Latios from the same scene). Shiny Rayquaza still makes me go "Wait huh?", but whatever.

    When it comes to Hoopa, wasn't he just acting a bit like a little… well, big sh*t? Its pranks are a bit too dickish to just be considered childish, and before the exposition at the mid-way point, the beginning came off that way as well, and the townspeople going along with it at first was weird. I suppose the voice fits, and I have no complains for the voice actress (and actor) who was Hoopa, but the character as a whole only became tolerable by the end, a step up from Shaymin and thus saved him from being annoying, but not close to being a favorite. It's helped that Unbound Hoopa was actually pretty cool and probably also had the best voice-acting (was the one voice that didn't make me cringe at least once, like did the dub quality take a dip from the last film?). Too bad he doesn't do much, he just lets all of the other summoned Legendaries do stuff that he should've been doing. I feel a little gypped we didn't get to see more of him outside of the power of his hoops, because he came off as legitimately threatening (or at least terrifying), and could've made for some good perilous moments.

    I kind of remember the movie-only characters from the prologue prequel, but I didn't mind them that much there (probably because they were kids), meanwhile here, I find them dull. At least they did stuff that was sorely missed from previous films, but I'm going to forget their names and faces soon, so I'm not going to miss them. Also holy crap, Team Rocket did something for once, even if it was just to move the plot along, and then stayed mostly quiet the rest of the film. Guess I'll take that over "stupid Team Rocket plot" any day.

    Oh, and I hate to be that guy, but bad CGI is bad. Not all of it was terrible, but things like Team Rocket's Meowth balloon and the POV scenes with Mega Latios and Latias flying around was noticeably bad. Just ew. I'm also sad that outside of Unbound Hoopa, the animation felt a little lackluster. Nothing about it sticks out to me, not even the backgrounds this time around. And that should not be.

    I'm just disappointed, and I'm not sure whether it's because this was by a new screenwriter, it suffered from too much gimmicks, or because I'm comparing it to the previous film that I liked better. I could also just be being "too unfair" or "harsh" to a kids' film for daring to expect more out of it. Either way, Hoopa was no Diancie, and I had no high expectations for this one to begin with, and yet it didn't even excel, let alone hit that expectation. And I didn't even think up of any questions this time around to try and make sense of everything about the movie. There's probably a few, I just don't care enough to think of them.

    This was just a "Yeah, it exists," movie.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fortaleza, CE - Brasil
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Much better than any BW and DP movie that's for sure. It's not the best movie in the world, but there is only so much you can do with a 1 hour long movie.

    Also for the first time in forever they actually created movie exclusive characters who weren't boring and annoying.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    22

    Default

    This movie wasnt that good to me it felt rushed and didnt really live up to the hype it had imo Personally i had high hopes for the kalos movies but they have not been that enjoyable to me. The last movie i enjoyed was the Zoroark movie and parts of the keldeo movie

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    I watched it the day before. It was alright, enjoyed it actually. Didn't want to shut it off like I did with all of the BW movies.
    The plot was a bit weak, and rushed but it was manageable. I did find it pretty awesome how Ash naturally commanded the Lati's and Rayquaza.
    But I was waiting on Hoopa to bring out more Legendaries besides the Hoenn Dragon trio. It's either that or divide whatever ones featured.


    Former Lieutenant of Squad 7.
    Thank you for the memories, Bleach Club

    Claimed Blaziken - Pokemon Diamond - Ike

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Viridian City, Kanto
    Posts
    365

    Default

    this sucks, so that mean we will never hear a full version of be a hero, this the second time in Pokemon Movie history they have done this, the first was with the Jirachi movie and no full pokemon advanced theme

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Verdant Court, Arbor Area
    Posts
    621

    Default

    It's awesome but it's basically just one long legendary Pokémon fight scene. Pretty amazing, especially Pikachu riding that Latias, but can't say more than that.

    Only thing I didn't like was the evil Ash part. From the description I thought Ash's possession by the prison battle was an important part of the film. But Ash was only possessed for about five minutes at the very end and he didn't do anything evil or destructive. What was the point? And it was wrong that Hoopa should be the one to calm him down. That role should have been performed Pikachu as Pikachu's the only one who can connect to Ash's heart. Worse than that Pikachu was rather absent from the scene. He's right behind Ash but for most of the time Ash's is possessed he's out of camera shot and we don't here his voice. That's a shame given previous movies have given both depressing and heartwarming Pikashippy scenes where either Ash or Pikachu is forced to grieve the loss of the other then enjoy being reunited. Frankly the scene was less impressive than Ash being possessed by the king of Pokélantis in AG. I don't see why it was even included.

    A few other little things bugged me:

    1.Dahara city is supposed to be Dubai yet it's well known for producing Doughnuts, which are American in origin. That makes sense??? In fact none of the food they eat in this film looks like anything that I would expect to find in the UAE
    2. Why is Ash shirtless for the first 10 minutes of the film. Fan service much. Well it works for me.
    3. Movie kind of confirms the fan theory that Arceus is god the creator of the Pokémon and is worshipped as such - That's good because I like that theory (so much fan fiction potential).
    4. Is it just me or is Hoopa's voice really annoying.
    5. All those Pikachu were really cute but it was a poor showcasing of Cosplay Pikachu - let's hope Lights Camera Pika does better.
    6. "Ali Hoopa ring" is an even more annoying catchphrase than "the future is now thanks to science." "Were you surprised" isn't much better.
    7. Kyogre can't fly
    8. How did Latios and Latias mega evolve without mega stones or mega rings.
    9. Is there anything Wobbufett's counter can't do. I mean he sent Giratina's attack back at it.

    Overall it's a great film and one of the best Pokémon movies so far in my opinion. Only drawback is by being so action packed it's not as emotional or moving as other Pokémon movies have been. There are no parts that made me want to cry, or feel particularly joyful and I find I've got more to write about it's bad elements than it's strong points despite the fact I really enjoyed it. To discuss it's good points all you would be doing is saying how cool the battle scenes were.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 18th November 2015 at 3:19 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple.




    By Ivy the Snivy

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lansing MI
    Posts
    8,207

    Default

    It was exactly what you should expect from a short movie that relies heavily on pseudo gods and telepathic Pokemon, a rushed, over glorified legendary brawl feast with extremely bad dialogue and little build up. And no the original version isn't much better. Although I couldn't help but smile at the Lugia bits. Also glad they got rid of that last voice actress (or have her use an entirely different voice because that voice used in the trailer was terrible).

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    It's awesome but it's basically just one long legendary Pokémon fight scene. Pretty amazing, especially Pikachu riding that Latias, but can't say more than that.

    Only thing I didn't like was the evil Ash part. From the description I thought Ash's possession by the prison battle was an important part of the film. But Ash was only possessed for about five minutes at the very end and he didn't do anything evil or destructive. What was the point? And it was wrong that Hoopa should be the one to calm him down. That role should have been performed Pikachu as Pikachu's the only one who can connect to Ash's heart. Worse than that Pikachu was rather absent from the scene. He's right behind Ash but for most of the time Ash's is possessed he's out of camera shot and we don't here his voice. That's a shame given previous movies have given both depressing and heartwarming Pikashippy scenes where either Ash or Pikachu is forced to grieve the loss of the other then enjoy being reunited. Frankly the scene was less impressive than Ash being possessed by the king of Pokélantis in AG. I don't see why it was even included.

    A few other little things bugged me:

    1.Dahara city is supposed to be Dubai yet it's well known for producing Doughnuts, which are American in origin. That makes sense??? In fact none of the food they eat in this film looks like anything that I would expect to find in the UAE
    2. Why is Ash shirtless for the first 10 minutes of the film. Fan service much. Well it works for me.
    3. Movie kind of confirms the fan theory that Arceus is god the creator of the Pokémon and is worshipped as such - That's good because I like that theory (so much fan fiction potential).
    4. Is it just me or is Hoopa's voice really annoying.
    5. All those Pikachu were really cute but it was a poor showcasing of Cosplay Pikachu - let's hope Lights Camera Pika does better.
    6. "Ali Hoopa ring" is an even more annoying catchphrase than "the future is now thanks to science." "Were you surprised" isn't much better.
    7. Kyogre can't fly
    8. How did Latios and Latias mega evolve without mega stones or mega rings.
    9. Is there anything Wobbufett's counter can't do. I mean he sent Giratina's attack back at it.

    Overall it's a great film and one of the best Pokémon movies so far in my opinion. Only drawback is by being so action packed it's not as emotional or moving as other Pokémon movies have been. There are no parts that made me want to cry, or feel particularly joyful and I find I've got more to write about it's bad elements than it's strong points despite the fact I really enjoyed it. To discuss it's good points all you would be doing is saying how cool the battle scenes were.
    4. Still better than what it was in the trailer.
    8. Mewtwo got away with it no problem.
    Last edited by Mr. Reloaded; 18th November 2015 at 7:58 PM.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    NNID: BeatScrafty2
    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Yup:

    Original meaning: Deus Ex Machina

    Serebii : Didnt Enjoy Much.

    #teamRowlet

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    541

    Default

    You know what I miss about movies 6 and 8?
    Actual character development and interaction with the other main characters whose names aren't Ash.
    Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    Just watch; there will be an egg at the end of Sinnoh that Dawn will give to Ash!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •