Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding to Change the Appearance of HGSS' Egg Pokemon?

Default Breeding to Change the Appearance of HGSS' Egg Pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by Wii Will Rock U @ NeoGAF
    The game is going to have new additions to the gender and breeding portions of the game. An example of these has actually already been revealed to the the public though many people don't realize what it means:

Certain Pokemon will gain new looks based on their parents and while I don't know any specifics right now, I know it's going to be very in-depth.
    source

Obviously this is just a rumour, but this man knows a person at Treehouse (NoA's localisation studio) and 'broke' the news that the remakes were coming before the Yahoo.jp news release. It's very likely that this will prove to be true.

Some other conversations on how the feature will work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wii Will Rock U
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkball
    Some Pokemon already looked different based on their gender, so that's not new. But are you saying that if your Pichu's parents are Rattata and Pikachu that it will look different than if it's parents were Ninetails/Pikachu? That's pretty interesting and cool but nothing mind-blowing. Seems to be more aesthetic than anything.
    From what I know, which is now what GAF knows, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnid
    It probably doesn't matter because the info if true will likely show up in CoroCoro in the next few days.
    Right, that's pretty much my logic too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eteric Rice
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkball
    Some Pokemon already looked different based on their gender, so that's not new. But are you saying that if your Pichu's parents are Rattata and Pikachu that it will look different than if it's parents were Ninetails/Pikachu? That's pretty interesting and cool but nothing mind-blowing. Seems to be more aesthetic than anything.
    Uh, no, I think he means that each pokemon you find might have a different aspect to them (curly hair, messy hair, different ear) that other pokemon can inherit.

I don't think breeding a pikachu with a ratatta with produce something like a pikachu with ratatta's tail or anything. Maybe if the ratatta has curly hair, the pikachu might inherit it.
    To be honest, I think it's stuff like both of this. I don't really know 100% for sure though.
    As I mentioned earlier, I don't know. All I was told was that it is "in-depth". I have no idea what that means either, I can only speculate like we've been doing.
    This looks like it could be a VERY interesting feature in the game if there's enough variety and depth to it.

I don't understand exactly how that would work...I mean, we already have an average of 4 sprites per pokemon, and 493 pokemon= a lot of memory.

And I don't see how that could happen...maybe, like, an occasional difference, like notched-ear, but, I mean, I don't think we'll see poke-hybrids.
    Last edited by Golde; 10th May 2009 at 7:15 AM.

This sounds awfully familiar to those old days when people would spread crazy rumors based purely on things seen in the anime.

Yeah, that'd eat all the memory. I speculated on this for Platinum, in late '07, and recived pretty much the same answers.
    ^^ There are 493 Pokemon not 498
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb View Post
    [School's] a nice place to fap in public and not get caught.

If this was true, it would be a total waste of memory and effort, in my opinion. The guy seems pretty credible, being right about the announcements and everything, but I would be careful not to trust him too much.

waste of time imo. why put in different sprites unless they do something?

that would take up a lot of data.If it was true then maybe they would restrict it to the johtodex pokemon.I find it interesting how they picked a johto pokemon to be different,it could have been any pokemon,but i suspect we will find out what is special about it when the movie comes out.
    3DS FC: 4425-2845-6719

Pokédex: 718
    Friend Safari
    Pokérus

The only thing this guy did, from what I saw, is predicted the announcement would be GS remakes.

Which a ton of people did...>.>

Alex Lucard Part Deux.
    Last edited by Korobooshi Kojiro; 10th May 2009 at 6:35 AM.

Well female Pikachu already has a notch-heart thingy in it's tail.. Could cause the notch in it's ear somehow.. but I think we'll only see a few differences.

Maybe the some of the eggs will look different (like Togepi, especially considering he keeps his egg when hatched). Would be nice to see some differentials in those, especially when some people breed boxes of Pokemon at a time for various reasons.

I hope that Pokemon don't get more of these "differences". New forms, fine, but new differences are a waste of time/space...

If anything "Notched Eared Pichu" is just another gender difference that for some reason they didn't want to implement in Platinum (maybe because they were done with the Pokemon sprites in Platinum before working on them in HGSS.

I really don't think it has anything to do with genetic aberrations or anything like that.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by skittles1229 View Post
    waste of time imo. why put in different sprites unless they do something?
    I dunno, people sure seemed to go crazy over shinies.
    There is civilization, and there is nature.

There is war, and there is peace.

There is humankind, and there is Team Galactic.

DS FC: 3609-7382-1357

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtwo152 View Post
    Yeah, that'd eat all the memory. I speculated on this for Platinum, in late '07, and recived pretty much the same answers.
    ^^ There are 493 Pokemon not 498
    Yes, however the Rotom forms also take up sprites, meaning that there are 498 sets of different pokemon sprites.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4339-2697-2470

Quote Originally Posted by Dragard View Post
    Yes, however the Rotom forms also take up sprites, meaning that there are 498 sets of different pokemon sprites.
    Well if you're including the Rotom forms, why not the other forms of Pokemon? Giratina, Shaymin, Burmy, Wormadam, Cherrim, Shellos, Gastrodon....... I think there's one or two more, but I can't think of them if there are..

Quote Originally Posted by Olympichero191 View Post
    Well if you're including the Rotom forms, why not the other forms of Pokemon? Giratina, Shaymin, Burmy, Wormadam, Cherrim, Shellos, Gastrodon....... I think there's one or two more, but I can't think of them if there are..
    It wasn't me who called that up. Hm, no I'm curios to know how many....
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4339-2697-2470

That would make like 1000+ sprites ( guess )

Doing that. Would take to much time. To much space. Its false.
    #BuyUltraviolance

Quote Originally Posted by Takaru View Post
    That would make like 1000+ sprites ( guess )

Doing that. Would take to much time. To much space. Its false.
    From this point,
    I think it's reasonable and smart
    to wait for official announcement
    rather than listening to people that are
    possibly telling lies.
    yes? yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness of Zero View Post
    I dunno, people sure seemed to go crazy over shinies.
    "Alternate colored" Pokemon are different (they already existed).

Although I'm not arguing against the notched eared Pichu from existing. I personally think it's a gender difference, and nothing more. I don't know why they would implement stuff like a Rattata Faced Pichu (extreme, I know, but serves my point) it just makes the game more unrealistic. I mean we do have a monkey breeding with a mouse, we really don't need genetic aberrations to make the union even worse. Oh gosh a Pikachu with a flaming butt, that just sounds horrible. Personally if they want to drastically change the difference in appearance (not Palette swapped) then they should make new formes instead.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    "Alternate colored" Pokemon are different (they already existed).

Although I'm not arguing against the notched eared Pichu from existing. I personally think it's a gender difference, and nothing more. I don't know why they would implement stuff like a Rattata Faced Pichu (extreme, I know, but serves my point) it just makes the game more unrealistic. I mean we do have a monkey breeding with a mouse, we really don't need genetic aberrations to make the union even worse. Oh gosh a Pikachu with a flaming butt, that just sounds horrible. Personally if they want to drastically change the difference in appearance (not Palette swapped) then they should make new formes instead.
    Or new pokemon.
    :P

Yeah I guess its a "cool" feature(if its true) but like everyone else here, I think its a waste of time n memory....now im just as excited as everyone else is when it comes to this remake but now that this was mentioned, im a bit scared. Scared in the sense that what if they try to add all this "cool" and new stuff to the game? Platinum has a somewhat newer story line and added stuff like the villla, rematch gym leaders etc. I just don't want to be hyped up and dissapointed in the end...all we can do is wait for the official announcement
    =|
    FC:Platinum:0302-5931-2383
    FC:Soul Silver:4383-4189-4324
    Shinies: 1st Shiny Ever!;
    Events: x3 x2 VGC09

Quote Originally Posted by Dragard View Post
    It wasn't me who called that up. Hm, no I'm curios to know how many....
    Don't forget the 112 unown sprites (including normaland shinies, and both front and back)

Anyways I wouldn't mind this. There have been plenty of things they added that don't do anything, like graphics. You can say they make the game look better, but so will a variety of sprites.

But I would like a variety of eggs. That plain white one w/ green spots is kinda old now. Maybe they can expand on that, it would make it easier to keep track of what the egg contains.
        Spoiler:- Outdated SS Progress (Might update soon):

99.8% of people don't care that you're special.

People who are claiming that it would be a problem because it would require many more sprites are making a rather big mistake.

There's no reason why the "genetic differences" would have to be complete sprites. All they'd need is coordinates and sprite data for the section that gets changes. So, for instance, for notch-eared pichu, you'd only need sprite data for the small section of the ear that changes, along with the coordinates for where the added sprite goes.

If we suppose, say, 10 possible genetic differences, that would probably still be significantly less than a whole sprite worth for each pokemon. And of course, I'd imagine that ditto and the other genderless pokemon (and the legendaries, for that matter) would lack genetic variations, so there's fewer sprites required, there. And by having a set of sprite alterations, it would be easy to have multiples of them - having 10 sprite modifiers would mean a possible 2^10 or 1024 different possible appearances.

All that being said, I still doubt that this would actually happen in this generation. Maybe next generation, when there's a lot more space for extra data, but I think they're more likely to use any extra space they have to produce more locations, etc. I'd rather they add all of Hoenn to the game than add these sprite things.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympichero191 View Post
    UNOWN. The original AND the one with the most forms (and each one is treated as independant by the game code).

Also, Spinda, people. It has exactly 4,294,967,296 (2^32) different combinations of features (not counting shinies), and A SINGLE SPRITE. Effects can be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    People who are claiming that it would be a problem because it would require many more sprites are making a rather big mistake.

There's no reason why the "genetic differences" would have to be complete sprites. All they'd need is coordinates and sprite data for the section that gets changes. So, for instance, for notch-eared pichu, you'd only need sprite data for the small section of the ear that changes, along with the coordinates for where the added sprite goes.

If we suppose, say, 10 possible genetic differences, that would probably still be significantly less than a whole sprite worth for each pokemon. And of course, I'd imagine that ditto and the other genderless pokemon (and the legendaries, for that matter) would lack genetic variations, so there's fewer sprites required, there. And by having a set of sprite alterations, it would be easy to have multiples of them - having 10 sprite modifiers would mean a possible 2^10 or 1024 different possible appearances.

All that being said, I still doubt that this would actually happen in this generation. Maybe next generation, when there's a lot more space for extra data, but I think they're more likely to use any extra space they have to produce more locations, etc. I'd rather they add all of Hoenn to the game than add these sprite things.
    Actually, this is a good point. This is like what they did with Spinda. I believe there are 8,589,934,592 different combination for it, but they aren't all saved, but generated by it's personality value.
        Spoiler:- Outdated SS Progress (Might update soon):

99.8% of people don't care that you're special.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon96 View Post
    But I would like a variety of eggs. That plain white one w/ green spots is kinda old now. Maybe they can expand on that, it would make it easier to keep track of what the egg contains.
    I wanted that ever since the anime showed it. And at least in one game's manual it is confirmed they are different colors, because I remember seeing an "Elekid" egg in one of the backgrounds. But they'd probably need however many Pokemon can have eggs (like Snorlax, and Munchlax, etc) and create that many different sprites of eggs. I think if they can individually make each Pokemon different in the party Pokemon icons (remember in the old games when they shared the same icons, like Dodrio and Pidgeot shared the bird icon) and the Poketch crappy moving pictures. Surely they can make up to 493 different Pokemon egg sprites.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast