Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Sliding Into Seventh (595)

Episode was OK, I liked it. I would just make Candice's Medicham and Sneasel at least little bit stronger. That Abomasnow was really cool!

Good lord, it's been forever since I've posted about an episode...

Anyhow, I rather enjoyed it. Abomasnow was pretty cool to see, and I thought the "imposing" look it had really added the "abominable" aspect of it. Wood Hammer was awesome, though... glowing blue hand slamming into opponent isn't quite what I had in mind. Oh well.

I liked how this was much more fast paced than in other gyms. Also, this is the first gym in Sinnoh that has 4 Pokemon as opposed to 3 (count them, every gym so far has had only 3).

Also, am I the only one who somewhat... confused about the use of... "Key-ai" or whatever it is that's repeatedly said by Candice? (also, how the hell do you spell it??).

I loved how everyone is just in shock over every little thing that happens in the battle. I mean, especially considering how long both Dawn and Brock have been around Ash, I'd expect them to realize some of his strategies by now. More Brock than Dawn, but that's just me.

<C_L>

"I'm not really here that much, if at all. I've moved on, to a different site."

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

Enjoyed the gym battle. I wasnt expecting Ash to win 2 in a row though. Abomasnow was really cool though but loved Chimchar sledging on the ice and also beating 2 of her pokemon. Wonder what paul is going to do next episode and whenever he will battle candice?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccag View Post
    Enjoyed the gym battle. I wasnt expecting Ash to win 2 in a row though. Abomasnow was really cool though but loved Chimchar sledging on the ice and also beating 2 of her pokemon. Wonder what paul is going to do next episode and whenever he will battle candice?
    no he will not battle her. he will battle brandon.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt_Latios View Post
    Also, am I the only one who somewhat... confused about the use of... "Key-ai" or whatever it is that's repeatedly said by Candice? (also, how the hell do you spell it??).

<C_L>
    Well, don't quote me 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure Kiai is a way to focus, which would make sense because the move Focus Punch's Japanese name is Kiai Punch.

*~Openly Gay and Proud~*

The seventh gym war has arrived! If anything, it's going to be like Dante's Inferno.

- Sneasel VS Grotle! Fight!!
    - Sneasel makes like an ice skater & runs all over Grotle, spamming Icy Wind as it goes. Little does it know that Grotle is a tank...
    - Once the opportunity arises, Grotle uses Rock Climb as soon as Sneasel gets on an ice chunk, & turns Sneasel into a pancake! Yes!!
    - Medicham VS Staraptor! Fight!!
    - We interrupt this Gym Fight to bring you this breaking news bulletin! TR has been sighted inside the Pokemon Storage room inside The Snowpoint Trainer's School! Will they succeed? We don't know. We'll bring you more of this story as it unfolds. We will now bring you back to our regularly scheduled Gym Fight.
    - Staraptor begins off with a quick attack, but is stopped mid-flight by Medicham's Psychic!
    - Staraptor tries again with Aerial Ace, but once more, Medicham stops it, this time with its bare hands. Bad mistake! Staraptor takes advantage of this by using Close Combat!
    - Medicham counters with Fire Punch. Another bad mistake, as it most likely have had a better attack than that. Staraptor comes raining down with Brave Bird, & crushes Medicham into the pavement!
    - Snover VS Gliscor! Fight!!
    - Gliscor manages to get a couple of Fire Fangs on Snover, but it gets blown away with her Ice attacks.
    - We once again interrupt this Gym war with this breaking news update! TR has stolen the school's Pokemon, but the school authorities have them on the run! Will they be busted? Or will they get away? We'll find out soon... We now bring you back to our Gym Fight.
    - Snover VS Chimchar! Fight!!
    - Chimchar starts with a Flamethrower, but Snover's Ice moves combine with the fire which results in the entire Gym getting enshrouded in fog.
    - Blinded by the fog, Chimchar calms down & tries to anticipate Snover's moves. It succeeds, & burns that ice tree to the ground! Now Candice is down to her final Pokemon...
    - Abomasnow VS Staraptor! Fight!!
    - Staraptor comes down with Aerial Ace, but is blown away by Abomasnow's Blizzard!
    - Abomasnow VS Grotle! Fight!!
    - Grotle comes charging at her, but it gets its skull squashed like a wet paper bag by Abomasnow's Wood Hammer! That's a hell of a concussion...
    - The situation is grim for Ash, as this Abomasnow can potentially instagib most anything that he threw at them...
    - Final Round!! Abomasnow VS Chimchar! Fight to the Death!!
    - Abomasnow gets Chimchar on the ropes with her Ice moves, but a sudden brain wave got it using an ice shard from the arena as a ice sled!
    - The tides have turned, as Chimchar runs circles all over Abomasnow, pelting it with its Fire Moves as it goes.
    - Frustrated, Abomasnow charges straight towards Chimchar, which counters with Flame Wheel. Abomasnow grabs ahold onto the fireball, thus resulting in the Gym getting enshrouded in fog once more.
    - We interrupt this Gym Fight to bring you this breaking news update! It seems that TR has entrenched themselves inside an old pet shed. The authorities can't figure out how to get them out until one of them finds a doggie door!
    - He uses his Skuntank, which then crawls inside to deliver a revolting payload to TR. They burst out of the place & flee for their lives! As for the missing Pokemon, they have once again been recovered. This concludes this breaking news story. We now return to our regularly scheduled program.
    - The looming figure of Abomasnow takes form inside the fog... but once the fog clears up, we find out that she's dead, even though she's still standing! The winner is Ash!!
    - Just after he gets his seventh badge, Paul shows up, & challenges Candice. Oh noes!!

The only thing that mars this otherwise great Gym War is the TR plotline coming out of nowhere. Otherwise, it got my blood flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Gregguru~ View Post
    Well, don't quote me 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure Kiai is a way to focus, which would make sense because the move Focus Punch's Japanese name is Kiai Punch.
    I noticed you mentioned that in the discussion of the previous episode. I think I'll stick with that spelling; simple, yet I can see how you'd pronounce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brumrha View Post
    The only thing that mars this otherwise great Gym War is the TR plotline coming out of nowhere. Otherwise, it got my blood flowing.
    Actually, I find a little bit of stupidity/comic relief is rather welcome every now and then. I did laugh at the excessive amount of locks they put onto the door though.

Eh, that's why I "record" stuff so I can fast forward through the "other" material.

<C_L>

"But, it's been fun. I'll come back every so often, but for the most part, I won't post much."

- Cobaltios

I kinda found it dumb that Abomasnow took down Gliscor and Grottle without even breaking a sweat. Otherwise I felt the battle was great, and of course TR getting owned by a Skuntank was hilarious.
    Well let me tell ya something brotha'! The Buizelster doesn't stay down while all the little Buizelmaniacs believe! So what 'cha gonna do now brotha'? What 'cha gonna do when Buizelmania runs wild on youuuuuuuuu!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Gregguru~ View Post
    Well, don't quote me 100&#37; on this, but I'm pretty sure Kiai is a way to focus, which would make sense because the move Focus Punch's Japanese name is Kiai Punch.
    kiai panchi = Focus Punch
    kiai dama = Focus Blast
    kiai dame = Focus Energy

Therefore, "kiai" can be translated as "focus". In the sub I watched of the Candice episodes, she repeatedly used the term "fighting spirit" so I guess it can mean that too.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Are Kai and Kiai two different things, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    kiai panchi = Focus Punch
    kiai dama = Focus Blast
    kiai dame = Focus Energy

Therefore, "kiai" can be translated as "focus". In the sub I watched of the Candice episodes, she repeatedly used the term "fighting spirit" so I guess it can mean that too.
    Wow, they're only 2 letters difference...

Heh, I learned something about a term I was confused about. Neat!

<C_L>

- Cobaltios

Is it me or does it seem that every gym battle follows the same formula?
    Ash beats all the gym leader's Pokemon easily without loosing any of his.
    Than they call their ace and start crushing all but his last Pokemon which
    pulls through. It was still a fun battle to watch, it just seemed like such
    an easy win.

When he faces Volkner, I hope he looses before reaching the Luxray.
    FC - 4339-3819-1503
    Safari Type is Bug

Please don't say that. That'll take up too much time already.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    I didn't know WTF Ash was thinking bringing Gliscor out against an Ice leader.
    Don't you think the fact that it has two supereffective moves against Snover and Abomasnow had something to do with it?

Ash's chimchar is doing great. And Ash needs to get one more badge to go!

It was one of the more unimpressive Gym battles in the Sinnoh Saga in my honest opinion. I had such high hopes for the seventh Sinnoh Gym battle and for Candice but it turned out to be almost like a joke in a few ways. As always, the star is Chimchar and it's win against Candice and Abomasnow was cheap in the way that it was rushed. 5/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 4th October 2010 at 12:42 AM.

Best gym battle ever!

And I wonder what Zoey meant by calling Candice "Miss Senior" if I hear correctly.

That was one of the occasions where a close-to-direct translation wasn't necessarily the best thing. In Japanese, Zoey always referred to Candice as "senpai", which means senior or mentor. There isn't really an English equivalent, so they decided to just sort-of translate it and the results were a bit awkward. The closest things we have in English would be "ma'am" or "miss", which don't imply the same type of relationship that senpai does.
    Last edited by Geodude; 18th November 2009 at 12:16 AM.

I'm surprised Ash got through this gym in only one episode, considering he has three pokemon with ice-type weaknesses (and one with a x4 weakness, Gliscor), only one pokemon with both type and move type advantages plus just one more with a move type advantage (again, Gliscor, with fire fang), and Pikachu and Buizel wouldn't be much help against it theoretically. At least he pulls off a win, but considering the odds against him I'm surprised he did.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Meh. Okay episode. Not the best gym battle of Sinnoh. Chimchar was worshipped again.

Fantina>Maylene>Gardenia>Candice>Roark>Byron>Wake.

7/10.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    I'm surprised Ash got through this gym in only one episode, considering he has three pokemon with ice-type weaknesses (and one with a x4 weakness, Gliscor), only one pokemon with both type and move type advantages plus just one more with a move type advantage (again, Gliscor, with fire fang), and Pikachu and Buizel wouldn't be much help against it theoretically. At least he pulls off a win, but considering the odds against him I'm surprised he did.
    What I'm more surprised from is the fact that Gliscor was very weak, his types /moves against Candice were able to beat one pokemon at least. Fire Fang wasn't able to beat an Ice pokemon, but Grass and Ice moves defeated him very quickly. In this case Ash's Pikachu would not have helped more.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

Chimchar once again steals the show. I honestly didn't enjoy much about this Gym battle. OK episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpachi View Post
    Is it me or does it seem that every gym battle follows the same formula?
    Ash beats all the gym leader's Pokemon easily without loosing any of his.
    Than they call their ace and start crushing all but his last Pokemon which
    pulls through.
    It's not only you.....

A gym battle episode? This I gotta see!

- Wow. Sneasel is quite the skater, isn't he/she?

- Awesome! Chimchar is that much cooler after riding that piece of ice! Go Chimchar!!
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

Chimchar beat Abomasnow and made a fool of it

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast