Thread: A Journey of A Heart (Contestshipping)

Default A Journey of A Heart (Contestshipping)

Hi this is my first pokemon fanfiction. I also have this posted on Fanfiction.net under the same user name.
    This is a WIP so I'm kind of winging this.

Rating- Mostly T but may go up to M for later chapters

Summary- It's been three years since May won the Grand Festival and when he left her. When May's dad sends her to LaRousse to visit a family friend she comes across someone from her past.

A Journey of the Heart by yurDestini

Prologue: Reminiscing

It was nighttime. The moon was full and cast down its silvery shadow on all of Petalburg City. May Maple looked out of her bedroom window and sighed. She was eighteen, nearly a young woman. Almost eight years had passed since she had first started on her journey with Ash and the gang. So much had changed over the past few years. Ash and Misty had finally realized that they had feelings for each other and they got an apartment together in Cerulean City. Max had gotten his trainers license and started on his own journey with his girlfriend Vivi Winstrate. Even Brock found the girl of his dreams, a girl named Julie, who was just as crazy about him as he was about her. Which pretty much left May all by herself. Not that she minded, much. Sure she was lonely at times but who was she to get in the way of love?

May turned away from her window walked over to her trophy case that contained all of her contest ribbons and trophies that she had won. During her last seven years as a co –ordinator. She had won a total of 25 ribbons and 4 Grand Festival trophies. After she had won the Grand Festival for a second time she had decided to come home and help out her dad with the gym. She took out the third Grand Festival trophy and blew off the dust. She had finally beaten her rival Drew when she had won the first place trophy in the Grand Festival.

Flashback

“Blaziken use Fire Spin!” shouted May. Blaziken shot out a wheel of fire heading towards Flygon.

“Flygon, dodge it!” called Drew. But it was too late. Flygon being weak from the previous round of attacks was unable to avoid the flames. It was a direct hit, and the flame wheel continued to circle Flygon.

“Perfect! Now, Blaziken! Dive into the flames and use Sky Upper-Cut! Blaziken dove into the flames gracefully and executed a perfect Sky Upper Cut.’. The flame still continued to circle around the two pokemon, leaving the audience at the edge of their seats. Finally the flames died, revealing Blaziken standing over a fainted Flygon.

“Flygon is unable to battle. The victory goes to May from Petalburg City.”

The audience burst into wild cheers and applause.

“YAY! We did it Blaziken! We won the Grand Festival!!!” shouted an ecstatic May.

On the other side of the stage Drew was returning Flygon.

“You fought a great battle, Flygon. You deserve a nice long rest.

Later that evening…

During the party Drew was looking for May. He wanted to congratulate her in person. But she was nowhere to be seen. The first place he had checked were the buffet tables but all he found was Ash going up for his fifth helping of food.

‘Where could she be?’ he pondered

May left the grand festival party to take a walk. Even though she had just won the Grand Festival she didn’t feel like celebrating. She was happy, that she had won, in fact elated. But deep down she felt a hint of disappointment, and she had no idea why. She soon came upon the Grand festival Hall. She stopped and looked at the vastness of the hall.

“Wow, I sure have come a long way.” Breathed May

“You sure have,” called a voice from behind her. May didn’t have to turn around to know that it was Drew.

“I remember when you had first started you were pretty much pathetic,” started Drew. He smirked. “I mean that Frisbee thing was just really sad.” May could feel the anger rising in her cheeks. She began to open her mouth to protest, but he continued.

“But now you’ve defeated me and won first place. That’s amazing, May. ” He praised. May was speechless. Who was this person what did he do with Drew? At this moment Drew pulled out yet another rose seemingly out of thin air and gave it to May.

“I know what you are thinking. But this for you finally being able to defeat me, Drew the famous co-ordinater.” He said with the smug look that he gave her so often. May smirked to herself. She knew that the roses he “gave” to Beautifly were really meant for her.

For the next few seconds, there was a very awkward pause between the two. Drew broke the silence again.

“ I-uh, came out here to congratulate you in person. And to tell you that I’m… leaving.” He stumbled. This news snapped May out of her previously speechless state.

“W-What?”

“I’m going to the Cahoto region to do the contests over there. I won’t be back for at least two years.

May was shocked. Two years without Drew? Without seeing him at another contest? At this one thought something stirred deep inside of her, and the strange feeling befuddled her. There was another moment of silence. When May looked up their eyes met. As her crystalline blue eyes met his emerald ones she saw that for once his face didn’t wear it’s usual smugness. Instead his gaze was soft and gentle, almost like he cared for her. That feeling she had felt before came back, only this time it showed in her face as well as red crept across her cheeks. She broke the gaze by looking at her feet. Drew soon followed suit, his cheeks too becoming red. All that could be heard between them was sound of the wind, now starting to send tufts of leaves into the air.

“ I have to go now,” he said suddenly. “The ferry leaving for Cahoto sets off tomorrow and I don’t want miss it.”

“Oh. So, I guess this is goodbye then.” Said May, her voice starting to quiver.

“ Yes, I guess it is.” He slowly started to walk off in the other direction. He stopped to turn around one more time.

“ We’ll meet again someday May, I promise.” And with that he continued on.

This scene was not unfamiliar to May, with Drew walking of with his back turned to her and May still in same spot. But this time as she watched his small figure eventually blending in with the horizon, she knew he wasn’t coming back.

The wind had started to pick up speed and in the process blew her hair wildly about. She felt a saline tear slide down her cheek.

“Goodbye, Drew” she whispered

End Flashback

May violently shoved the trophy back in the case and closed the door, tears streaming down her face. Every time she thought of the Grand Festival she thought of him. When he had left May still continued to enter contests but after she won the Grand Festival another time she decided to take a break from co-ordinating because it was too painful.

She flopped on her bed and bawled into her pillow. She allowed herself to shed tears for a few minutes before she stopped, angry with herself for crying. It had been almost four years and it was still just as painful as when he first left. Every night she dreamed of him, his eyes his hair, his smile. He was always there, but at the same time he wasn’t. May got up out of her bed and walked over to her dresser. She opened up the bottom drawer and pulled out a book. Inside she had saved all of the roses he had given her and pressed them to preserve them. As she flipped the pages rivers of tears flowed down her face once more. She came upon the last rose he had given her that night so long ago. She gingerly took out the rose, being careful not to crumble it she laid back down on her bed. Her eyelids, now swollen from tears became heavy as sleep began to overcome her in waves.

“ You promised me, Drew, ”she sniffed “You said that you would come back.” She closed her eyes, being physically and emotionaly exhasted, and drifted off to sleep.

Alright that's the prolouge. On to the next chapter!
    Last edited by yurDestini; 7th June 2009 at 7:29 AM.
    We were given: Two hands to hold. To legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find.

Contestshipping 4-Ever

Alright here's the next chapter!

Chapter I: Train Ride to La Rousse

A flash of blinding sunlight awoke May from her deep sleep. Yawning, she slowly sat up on the edge of her bed. She blinked a few times, adjusting her eyes to the bright light that was flooding the room.

‘I forgot to close to the curtains last night.’ She sighed. ‘Oh well.’ She looked at her Skitty alarm clock to see the time. The clock read 11:05. ‘11:05!? I was supposed to be at the gym an hour ago!’ May frantically hurried out of her room and downstairs where she was greeted with the smell of coffee. May was just about to open the front door when she realized that she was still in her pajamas.

“Arrggh! Now I’m really going to be late!” She went upstairs to change and came back down, ready to go. She had her hand on the doorknob when she was stopped by her mother, Caroline.

“And where are we going in such a hurry?” asked Caroline in her cherry voice.

“I have to go to the gym. I’m really late!” said May hurriedly, trying to get out the door again.

“You’re not going to the gym today. Besides your father and I need to talk to you.” Caroline said simply. May turned and looked at her.

“Huh? But I have a lot of work to do today and I told Dad I’d be there at 10:00!” she said a little too whiny.

“Your father isn’t at the gym; he took a day off today. Besides you need to eat, so come on in the kitchen and have some breakfast. Caroline went off into the kitchen and May reluctantly followed. As she came into the kitchen she saw her father, Norman sitting at the table reading a newspaper and drinking a cup of coffee. He looked up as she sat down in her chair at the table.

“There you are, May.” He put down his down his newspaper. Caroline sat down next to Norman. The room was deathly silent except for the sound of May munching on her toast. Caroline was the first to break the silence.

“Your father and I have been noticing that you’ve been not yourself lately.” May continued to munch on her toast, with an adamant expression on her face. Caroline continued.

“You’re working yourself too hard. You get up and go to the gym at the crack of dawn and don’t get home until dinnertime. You never go out to have some time for yourself and--.” May was lost in her own thoughts. ‘Ever since I left contests and came back home I guess I’ve thrown myself into my work so I wouldn’t have to think about it, about him. But its not my fault that I feel this way. He made me a promise, and here I am four years later and that promise is still unfulfilled. Why Drew, why? How could you do this to me? Everyday I agonize about that night, how should have told you how I truly felt-- ’

“--That’s why we’ve decided to send you on a vacation.” Finished Caroline.

‘Huh?’ May’s expression of indifference soon faded away to one of could see the confusion on her daughters face.

“You’ll be staying at a friend of your father’s home for three weeks. We wanted to let you know today because the train for LaRousse leaves Wednesday morning.” She clarified to May. This statement snapped May out of her daze. She suddenly shot up, knocking over her chair in the process.

“Wait, Wednesday as in tomorrow Wednesday!?" She shouted. One look from her mothers avoiding eyes and her suspicions were affirmed.

“Why didn’t you tell me before the day before I’m evidently supposed to be going on a trip? And what makes you think that I’d be willing to comply with going to someone’s house for almost a month that I don’t even know?!” May was now livid, with the fact that her parents had gone behind her back to make these arrangements without consulting her first.

“We’re sorry honey but lately you’ve been kind of hard to reach out to. Your father and I decided that it would be best if we sat you down and talked to you-- May sit down.” May shot her mother a look of pure fury before she picked up her chair and reseated herself. Norman spoke up.

“We just want what’s best for you, honey--” May was unresponsive and pretended to busy herself with a thread hanging from the table. Norman cleared his throat to get her attention. May yanked off the tread and folded her arms.

“–And by sending you on a three week vacation, we think that’s what is best for you.” He affirmed. May, realizing that she had no choice in the matter, rose from the table. She sighed.

“I’ll go pack my bags” she said in a barely audible voice. And with that she walked out of the kitchen and went up the stairs.

“ I can’t believe I’m doing this.” May mumbled. It was Wednesday, and May was at the train station trying to haul around her lug of a suitcase. She was having trouble finding the train for LaRousse and it was supposed to leave in less than ten minutes.

“Crap. Why is thing so damn heavy?” She muttered. She recalled yesterday when her mother came upstairs after her to help pack. The end result was May now carrying a nearly one hundred pound suitcase in a crowded train station and she was about to miss her train. After a few more minutes of straining she finally found a list of train departure times and hurried to the right train. When she got to her train it was just about to leave. May got on the train just before the doors closed. May found her seat and collapsed into it, being worn out from running. The train started off, moving slowly away from the station. A loud voice was heard over the intercom speaker.

“Attention all passengers, we will be arriving in LaRousse in twelve hours. Until then enjoy your ride. The ticket taker came by and took May ticket. May sighed. It was going to be a long ride.

yeah i just realized that I made May kind of OOC, but she's been heartbroken guys! Give her break!

Please feel free to leave any comments or suggestions
    We were given: Two hands to hold. To legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find.

Contestshipping 4-Ever

Here is Chapter Three!

Chapter 3: Where Are You Drew?

The Previous Day

“Attention passengers, we will be arriving in La Rousse, shortly, I repeat we will be arriving in LaRousse shortly.” bellowed the voice on intercom speaker. Drew Tamashi slowly opened his eyes, waking up from his short nap. Yawning, he stretched and rolled his head to work out the kinks.

‘Note to self, next time ride first class and get one of those reclining seats.’ He thought glumly. His neck popped loudly, and he winced from the sound. ‘Oh well, too late now.’ A loud snoring noise was coming from his elderly neighbor to his left.

‘So he finally fell asleep, eh?’

Throughout the duration of the train ride the old man had talked to Drew nonstop, going on about old fables and tales and things, and Drew had nodded his head the whole and pretended to listen. Apparently he had worn himself out, because now he snoring away, his mouth agape. The man was ancient, and from what Drew could tell so was his breath. He also noted that the man had taken out his teeth and put them inside a plastic cup filled with water. Disgusted, Drew put his musings aside and looked out his window to take in the scenery.

It had been nearly three years since he had last been in his home town, and frankly, he missed being here. All the buildings, the sights, the sounds; this was his home, where he grew up. The last three years he was outside of Hoenn, in the Cahoto region, he had become renowned around the continent, but he had missed being here. He had won the grand festival twice, and after the second time, he had decided to go back home and retire for a year or so. Even famous co-ordinators needed a break every once in awhile. Or at least, that’s what he told himself.

‘Just admit it Drew, you wanted to go and she how May is doing.’ Said the little voice in his head as his thoughts began to wander to a certain blue-eyed brunette. Drew leaned back in his seat and sighed. It had been three years since had last seen the happy-go-lucky brunette, that night so long ago when they had parted ways. He could still remember how tightly she had clutched his rose in her hand when he said he was leaving for Cahoto, how her eyes glistened when they had said goodbye. It was at that moment when he had realized that somehow, over past five years, he had stopped thinking of her as a rival.

An annoying ringing noise brought him out of his thoughts and pulled out his pokenav to answer it. A middle aged woman with green hair and blue eyes appeared on the screen. Of course it had to be his mother.

“Hello mom?” he said with a roll of the eyes. He held the phone away as he prepared for the ambush.

“HOW’S MY DREWSIE, WOOSIE, POOPYPANTS!!!!” squealed Mitsumi Tamashi.

“Mom! Not so loud!!!” he hissed loudly into the pokenav. He glanced to his left where the old man, amazingly, was still asleep. He turned his attention back to his mother.

“Mom, I not a little kid anymore. You really need to stop calling me that!” he whispered fiercely. He saw his mom make a pinching motion with her thumb and forefinger as if she were going to pinch his cheeks. Her eyes scrunched up as she got ready to squeal again.

“OH, BUT YOU WERE JUST THE CUTEST LITTLE BABY!!! I remember when I used to change your diapers and you used to make the cutest little poops--” Drew cut her off immediately.

“Mom, quit it! You’re embarrassing me!” he hissed again. He blushed as he noticed some of the passengers on the train shooting him strange looks.

“Isn’t that what a mother’s supposed to do?” she asked.

“Mom, I’m almost an adult now.” Mitsumi scrunched her eyes shut again.

“KAWAII!!MY LITTLE BABY’S GROWING UP!” she squealed again, tears of joy running down her face. “Turning twenty in two months!” Drew sweatdropped. Once his mom got going on something there was pretty much nothing you could do to stop her. He sighed.

“Why did you call mom?” he asked in his-nonsense voice. Her tears of joy immediately stopped and she dropped her overbearing-mother façade.

“Oh yes, I called to remind you that we’re staying at your Uncle Tamashi’s villa for three weeks.” Drew recalled his mother telling him that a few weeks ago.

“Yeah, I remember you telling me that.”

“So how is my favorite son doing?” she sang out breezily.

“Mom, I’m your only son.”

“That doesn’t mean you’re not my favorite. Oh, how is your little girlfriend doing?” She asked. Drew would have fallen over if he wasn’t already sitting down.

“MY WHAT!?” he nearly shouted into the phone. Mitsumi ignored his outburst of anger and continued.

“You know that little-brown haired girl with the blue eyes you were always talking about. The one who wore the red bandanna…?” Drew nearly dropped the pokenav in shock.

“You mean May?!! I haven’t seen her in three years!”

“So, you’re doing the long distance thing huh? I didn’t think my baby had it in him. Not with all those fan girls trailing after you all the time…” Drew was slowly getting agitated with the subject they were talking about.

“Mom, she is not my girlfriend!” Mitsumi’s eyes widened.

“You guys split up?! Did she break up with you or did you-“

“NO ONE BROKE UP WITH ANYONE BECAUSE WE WERE NEVER GOING OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!” he roared. Everyone on the train turn to stare at the teen yelling at his mother. The old man, miraculously, still continued to snore away. On the other end Mitsumi face scrunched up as she burst into tears.

“MY BABY’S FEELINGS WERE UNREQUITED!!!” she wailed.

‘Oh for the love of-.’

“Look, I have to go. See you when I get home.” His mother continued to wail as he turned off the pokenav. He sighed heavily as he leaned back, settling back into his previous thoughts.

He hadn’t wanted to leave Hoenn back then, oh no. But a famous pokegear company then had endorsed him and he was obliged to go to Cahoto and fulfill his contract. But now after three years he was finally off of contract, and maybe now he could retire as a co-ordinator, well at least for now.

‘Besides’ He thought. ‘May, has probably gotten a lot stronger. I would like to face in another Grand Festival sometime soon. It’ll be just like old times.’

Just then the train lurched to a stop, knocking the contents of the old man’s plastic cup onto Drew’s pants.

“Son of a-?!” he yelped as the gooey substance soaked through his jeans. Meanwhile the old man decided to wake up then, yawning loudly as he blinked his beady eyes.

“Boy, I haven’t slept this good in years!” he yawned, completely oblivious to the glare Drew was currently shooting him. He smacked his gums thoughtfully, as he turned to face Drew. Drew shuddered involuntarily as took in the sight of the presently toothless old man. He shuddered even more when he saw the man’s teeth sitting in his lap.

“I see you’ve found my teeth.” The old jiji said, as he took the teeth and popped them back in his mouth.

“We have now arrived in LaRousse. We hope you have enjoyed your ride.” blared the voice on the intercom. The old man sprung up with renewed vigor.

“Well I guess this is my stop,” he turned to acknowledge Drew. “I enjoyed talking with you. And thanks for watching ma teeth.” And with that the old geezer scampered off of the train. Drew sunk back into his seat and rested his head in his palm, overcome with the events of the day. He shook his head.

‘I am definitely riding first-class next time… ‘

--
    Please feel free to leave any comments or suggestions!

Contestshipping 4-Ever

Hello YurDestini,

So, I like your story so far . I really enjoy reading your writing , and I want to read more.

Chapter I:
    Quote Originally Posted by yurDestini View Post
    But now you’ve defeated me and won first place. That’s amazing, May. ” He praised. May was speechless. Who was this person what did he do with Drew? At this moment Drew pulled out yet another rose seemingly out of thin air and gave it to May.

“I know what you are thinking. But this for you finally being able to defeat me, Drew the famous co-ordinater.” He said with the smug look that he gave her so often. May smirked to herself. She knew that the roses he “gave” to Beautifly were really meant for her.

For the next few seconds, there was a very awkward pause between the two. Drew broke the silence again.

“ I-uh, came out here to congratulate you in person. And to tell you that I’m… leaving.” He stumbled. This news snapped May out of her previously speechless state.
    I really liked your flashback, good job.

Chapter II:
    “Your father and I have been noticing that you’ve been not yourself lately.” May continued to munch on her toast, with an adamant expression on her face. Caroline continued.

“You’re working yourself too hard. You get up and go to the gym at the crack of dawn and don’t get home until dinnertime. You never go out to have some time for yourself and--.” May was lost in her own thoughts. ‘Ever since I left contests and came back home I guess I’ve thrown myself into my work so I wouldn’t have to think about it, about him. But its not my fault that I feel this way. He made me a promise, and here I am four years later and that promise is still unfulfilled. Why Drew, why? How could you do this to me? Everyday I agonize about that night, how should have told you how I truly felt-- ’

“--That’s why we’ve decided to send you on a vacation.” Finished Caroline.
    May working hard to over come her depression is sorta weird IMO. When I think of May being depressed, I think of her as not being able to do anything. The "I-give-up" sort of depressed, not the "I-can-beat-this" depressed...if you get what I mean- but that's just me...so yea.

Chapter III:
    “NO ONE BROKE UP WITH ANYONE BECAUSE WE WERE NEVER GOING OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!” he roared. Everyone on the train turn to stare at the teen yelling at his mother. The old man, miraculously, still continued to snore away. On the other end Mitsumi face scrunched up as she burst into tears.

“MY BABY’S FEELINGS WERE UNREQUITED!!!” she wailed.

‘Oh for the love of-.’
    I love that part, it's soo cute! I can just imagine her yelling that out XD!
    If you have a PM list, please add me =D

L0v3 is Evol.
    Crystal Rose [Contestshipping]

Ever notice love is evol spelled backwards?
    And that I and O are next to each other on the keyboard?
    There's also that fact that evol can be the typo of evil.
    And evil is live backwards...wonder what that means... =/?

I Love You has a numerical vaule of 831.
    Eight letters.
    Three words.
    One meaning.

Contestshipping+Pokeshipping Ftw =D

+= 831 = May + Drew

Hi, yurDestiny greetings for you! Welcome I like your descriptions they sounded decent. Your wording is good. I'm not so good at grammar so I won't correct grammar. I just found a typo. You wrote coordinator as coordinater. Or it's written coordinater from the start? XP Overall, i like ur story so far. The only thing i want to comment is the length of your chapters. Dunno why, but I finished reading these quickly. Mybe i was too impatient *jumps* oh, yes, put me in PM list if you have one.

Rafe from Destiny Deoxys is my hot bishie, YOOHOO!

hahahaha poopypants? good 1. this is hysterical, pleez keep it up!!!

<3 Vampire <3
    I'm black in a world of white.
    I'm death instead of living.
    I'm stabbed by both love and hate.
    My heart is ripped to peices,
    never to love again.
    I believe there is no heaven, only hell.
    There is no good, only perfectly masked evil.

check out my contestshipping fic: Petalburg Highschool

Oh, this is good! This is good!

I liked how you put May, calm and able to function but at the same time--while in the privacy of her room--she still can feel the sadness.

And I loved the part with Drew's mom and how the old guy acted like people had his teeth on their lap all the time, that was great!

You should make the chapters longer though. Or combine them because they are going on at the same time. I didn't see any mistakes but I for one am not a very observant reader, so as long as it isn't something like 'eh asw herat brkone' you'll be fine in my book.

Let me guess...Norman's friend is going to be Drew's uncle! Or they are going to be neighbors. Three weeks...Isn't three supposed to be unlucky? Now don't turn this into a tragedy! But keep going, 'We'll be watching you.' he he
    Contestshippers rock! Advance shipping will be eliminated!!

I absolutely love this!
    The whole plot is very intriguing, I'm keen to see how May will react when she finds out her and Drew are headed to the same town.

Your writing overall is good, very easy on the reader and the details are well written, nothing to complicated.

I'm excited for the next chapter!

*~Shiny_Clefairy
    Check out my brand new fic!
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/24bw0uo.png[/IMG]
    story and banner by me!
    Contestshipping | Rated PG | Ongoing

such a lovely story. very good plot. i loved the part when drew's mother calls him and bursts on him and i especially like the part when that old man's teeth fell on top of drew
    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)