Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vanity Affair! (378)

Gryphon Turboclaw Guest

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Graveler
    It wasn't just a similiar repeat of the Lorelei episode, it was also kinda a repeat of 'Path to the Pokemon League' as well. Where Ash gets 10 victories, then gets overconfident, then gets owned by A.J.'s Sandshrew.
    (Sighs). Yes, this does indeed seem to be a favorite episode theme of the writers...have Ash get cocky about his training abilities(though PF's right about Ash not seeming as overconfident compared to other such eps), then have him get chopped down by the CotD.     Spoiler:
    . They almost never have had anyone else go through this...not Misty, not Brock, not Tracey, and not Max. All in all, they could have done this *without* the overconfidence on Ash's part, and the story would have been barely affected at all.

americangirl88 Guest

I have a question...according to how much time elasped from when Ash started his journey he should be 14/15. If thats so, how come he doesnt show it? He's only a little taller, if not as tall as May, so that means he has grown little to none height wise over a span of about 4 or 5 years, and his voice hasnt changed.

Because the people who write the episodes refuse to admit that the characters are actually aging.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Hales Guest

So while Ash is supposed to be 14/15, he really looks about 12/13

Quote Originally Posted by americangirl88
    I have a question...according to how much time elasped from when Ash started his journey he should be 14/15. If thats so, how come he doesnt show it? He's only a little taller, if not as tall as May, so that means he has grown little to none height wise over a span of about 4 or 5 years, and his voice hasnt changed.
    Given how many episodes take place only days or (in some) hours or minutes apart from the previous episode, I think its safer to say only about three+ years have passed, and that time passed a lot more quickly in the first Pokemon season than it does now.

The fact that Ash does look more mature and is at least a bit taller than May should say that at least a bit of time has passed. Brock isn't a good indicator as his father looks the same as he does, just wrinkled a bit, and Jessie and James are already done growing I think. ^_^

Most people assume Ash to be anywhere from 12 to 14, and Brock to be 17 to 20.

Hales Guest

I always figured that Brock was four years older than Ash... yet I don't have a theory to back it up

So if we say Ash is 12 then Brock appears to be around 16/17 maybe... it never occurred to me that Brock is 20... TR maybe.

Well Brock is obviously a few years older than Ash, since he has like 8 (is it 8?) younger brothers and sisters, and he was in charge of them for a significant amount of time. I think he was 16 when he first met Ash, since it sounds like a reasonable legal age for what he was doing. It's pretty clear, too, that Jessie and James are older than Brock, since they include him in "the twerps".

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Well Brock is obviously a few years older than Ash, since he has like 8 (is it 8?) younger brothers and sisters, and he was in charge of them for a significant amount of time. I think he was 16 when he first met Ash, since it sounds like a reasonable legal age for what he was doing. It's pretty clear, too, that Jessie and James are older than Brock, since they include him in "the twerps".
    That, and Jessie refered to Brock as the 'bigger twerp' in that episode... on the blimp. The one that *that* Pokeshipping moment. I recall her refering to him as 'the older twerp', also, at some point. (I think it was 'A Tent Situation'.)

Speaking of which...

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee, he took my parasol!"

Risk Alchemist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii
    Seaman! The Elite Four Drake Enters!

After his win at the Mossdeep Gym, Ash & Co. meet up with the Elite 4 Member Drake. Soon after boarding Drake's boat, Ash is challenged to a match. Can Ash prove his worth against this Elite Trainer?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss
    hmm.......i read that Ash didn't even beat Agatha in Season 9 thread so i don't know if he can win...even if he does have 7/8 of the Hoenn Leauge Badges!

~Deoxys Lover~

Um, did you read this topic at all? And don't you think that after all this time, we'd know what happened? -_-

suavesky Guest

I think ash will get his a** kicked

Quote Originally Posted by suavesky
    I think ash will get his a** kicked
    It did get kicked. It also got torn off, stomped on, poured fire ants all over, then stapled back on...

God, that actully makes my *** twitch just thinking about it. O__o

It was a so-so episode personally. It was nice to see an Elite Four member, as you barely ever see them, but the battles themselves didn't excite me too much. I knew it would be one-sided from the begining. Satoshi seemed really down about the outcome of the battle... jees, the writers sure love making him get royally PWNed by these guys.

As it was already stated, despite the fact that there was a few differences to this battle and his battles against Akira and Kanna, it was still the same old cliche: Character acts OOC-ly overconfident and gets their butt kicked by some master trainer. They seriously need to cut it out with this.

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

Quote Originally Posted by Juptile
    As it was already stated, despite the fact that there was a few differences to this battle and his battles against Akira and Kanna, it was still the same old cliche: Character acts OOC-ly overconfident and gets their butt kicked by some master trainer. They seriously need to cut it out with this.
    By Akira do you mean Agatha at the Viridian Gym? I was under the impression he did very well in that battle, nearly won in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Fan
    By Akira do you mean Agatha at the Viridian Gym? I was under the impression he did very well in that battle, nearly won in fact.
    He's refering to AJ, the Sandshrew trainer, and how Ash was on a high horse after trouncing 10 trainers in a row. Granted, Ash was a beginger back then, but its the same principle~

Strange dub title.... had nothing to do with the episode

episode was fast paced........ battle was rubbish..... I would have to say one of the worst non fillers ever

2/10
    Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 5th strike, so your entire signature was removed, you were banned for 3 weeks, and will lose signature privileges shortly. Do not edit your signature anymore. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Shuckle
    Strange dub title.... had nothing to do with the episode

episode was fast paced........ battle was rubbish..... I would have to say one of the worst non fillers ever

2/10
    It WAS a filler.

Anyway, it was good, ash finally got told to not be over-confident. But It gets a 4/10 from me.

BTW, I think the title refers to over-confidence, that's what someone said on the forums.
    Used to be Absolkid, -Absol-, Former Absolkid and Cipher Admin Absolkid!

i think it was a good episode and ash battle really well ^____^

9/10
    IM BACK Everyone <3
    SPPF's NO 1 Ash ketchum Lover Forever <3 |Ash is My Bishie <3 * Holds Tight And Huggles
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/j9xzk4.jpg[/IMG]
    Soul Mate - Shikamaru | Banner - Katsu | Erica ~Still a Mudkip + Sceptile Lover
    The Mudkip | Torchic | Treecko Fan club | Ash Doll | Ash Club <3 | Emiline Ketchum - roleplay
    Pair - Flare | Penpals : Katsu Katsuko and Endless Summer
    Em*Katsu*Rubi*Hika*Kelly*Zino*Tama = The SatoQuintruplets
    Satochu Lover Twins - Pikagirl
    Ask me for my pearl code! | Diamond Friend Code - 3823 5121 4699
    No matter where you are Ash your always gonna be mine

It was good, but Drake talking about milk got a bit annoying. And TR were at their worst in every possible way.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Drake's dub voice is excellent IMO.

I missed the first battle, unfortunately. The second one was rather dull, though. Then again, Grovyle beating an Altaria again would be a bit redundant.

TR used their disguises quite well in this episode. They kept it up right until the very end, which I thought was a nice change.

Torkoal battling. Yes.

Drake's reaction to TR's theft attempt was awesome, I thought. The episode itself may have been dragging, but Drake made up for it.

They ruined Salamence's voice. Beyond ruined, actually. It was a horrible travesty of a dub voice. Why didn't they keep that cool roar from Wishmaker?

Overall rating:
    7.6 out of 10
    Standard filler, only improved by Drake's presence. Granted, I missed most of the first half, but it doesn't sound like there was much to miss ._.

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Very nice. Let's see if they ever top this as far as fighting important figures goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Commander Blizzard*~
    They ruined Salamence's voice. Beyond ruined, actually. It was a horrible travesty of a dub voice. Why didn't they keep that cool roar from Wishmaker?
    Wait wait wait wait.... Who says they DID dub it? As far as Pokemon like Salamence go, 4Kids! often doesn't touch the voice. It's entirely possible the ORIGINAL voice changed, as that's happened before from Movie-to-Anime.
    Last edited by V Faction; 12th November 2005 at 3:39 PM.
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Great episode. The battles were exiting, Drake's team was in touch with his game counterpart's, a moral, and TR had a Drake fantasy. Hell, I'm just happy they didn't dub Drake as a pirate. Salamence's voice could use a little boost though.

9/10

well the episode wasn't all that great..... but since Drake was in it, then it was okay
    7/10

ONOMNOMNOM

Gif Credit | Amourshipping Contestshipping | Uta☆Pri fan

Play Shippers' Truth or Dare game with us!

Today was a very good episode. When was the last time Torkoal actually won a battle? I was surprised when it actually defeated Scizor as the writers usually shaft Torkoal out of wins.

I really like Drake's character in the anime. He acted the same way a I expected him too. The battle with Ash was very good as well, I'm glad the writers show that Ash isn't capable of taking down Elite 4 members yet. And the fact that Drake was holding back by using his Shelgon instead of Salamence, then Ash would have really been defeated quickly. Great animation during the battle scenes as well, Grovyle's Leaf Blade looks like double light sabers. Do people not like good battles? This episode showcases how all the battles in the anime should be.

And thank goodness TR didn't interrupt the battle like they usually do. They didn't steal Pikachu until the battle was finished, and their plan to just hand May a drink and grab Pikachu out of her hands was hilarious.

Who wants to bet that 4kids made their Advanced Battle theme song based on the number of times Ash and May win their battles during this season? Even Drake said he used to think he was unbeatable, which was a throwback to the theme of the song. Looks like the theme carries a wake up call to Ash and May later in the season. The fact that Drake was also interested in what May was planning to do for her next contest was nice too.

Great episode overall, and Ash did put up a better fight against Drake than he did against Lorelei back in the Orange Islands. And Trainers choice was right again, whee.

it was a pretty good episode, Drake's voice was excellent, kudos to whoever did it...

the only two things that I didn't like was that who hot milk thing... it would have been far more beleiveable if it was tea...

and Salamence's voice was kinda awful... it would have fit a smaller, thiner one... but not Salamence...
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast