Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedal to the Mettle (599)

Magmortar looks so intimidating. I like it. Although it looked like Green Gengar at one point.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/ztynn7.png[/IMG]
    That's why Rock Slide is better than Stone Edge.

Wow, Gliscor is going up and down like a roller coaster in the amount of power that it has.

It tied with Barry's Roserade, suggesting that it was as strong as Roserade. It beat Byron's Bastiodon even though it was somewhat weakened by Chimchar. Then we have that god awful battle against Snover in which it lost. Was type the factor in that battle?

Now we have it going up against what maybe Paul's strongest pokemon and actually dishing out some pretty hefty damage to Torterra. What do you guys think?
    Currently playing: Pokemon X
    Current Team: Talonflame, Greninja, Sylveon, , ,
    Current upcoming team(s): , , , , ,

Yup just watched it and i got to say i loved Gliscor owning Torterra with quick moves even if he doenst get a win in the next episode wich i think he wont i will be very happy with his performance.
    Grotle lost meh me someone had to loose, Buizel didnt do anything and Pikachu didnt do anything yet either.
    As for Staraptor vs Weavile i think it was a little rushed but still it was a good fight with both pokemons shining but Staraptor winning at the end.

5 star episode in my opinion i hope the next one will be as good as this one.

And for a longe time Team Rocket didnt anoy me nice.

Um, the purple attack Weavile used was Swords Dance, I'm sure of it. Paul used it to heighten up the Ice Shard Weavile used next.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
    I'm probably missing something here as I've not seen the episode yet, but why is everyone so impressed as Paul using Light Screen to stop Energy Ball? Nobody was bothered with Professor Nanba used Light Screen to stop Pikachu and Sparky's Thunderbolts back in Johto.
    Before Cubed comes in, its not because it was Johto, it was just we've seen that only once before...8 years ago. It's great to see it again though, that's so real time strategy right thar.
    Last edited by ZgonDuck; 11th June 2009 at 7:34 PM.

How did it get so late so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?, -Dr. Seuss

My review:

I was completely disappointed by the first battle … well it wasn’t a battle. I thought Buizel could have given a good battle against Torterra. I don’t know if Ash was afraid but recalling Buizel without even battling Torterra was just disappointing.

Gliscor is so inconsistent. One battle it’s strong, the next one is weak and the other one is strong again. I did like how it battled but it’s hard to measure how strong Gliscor is. Biting Gliscor by the tail to grab it and launch the Giga Drain was a good strategy. It’s one of those situations where Ash thinks speed is going to make him win but Paul found a way to stop Gliscor anyways. Still Gliscor was amazing.

I liked that Reggie was excited to see Staravia evolved. I thought it was cool he asked and Dawn gave him the details of the Pokeringer Contest. That Stone Edge was horrible on Staraptor. I’m glad it recovered from it but it just hit it and then the bird crashed in the floor like it was dead. I’m surprised it continued.

Why did Team Rocket imitate Weavile….? I LOVE WEAVILE! The way it moves its hands , the flips it did…it was so cool. And once again I’m surprised Staraptor survived. Stone Edge, Metal Claw, 2 Blizzards and Night Slash hit it and it was impressive how it got back and won. It was on the floor two times and it still shone. Close Combat as always gives good classic battling of punch and kicks which I love. Bird makes me proud!

Ash seems to be getting knowledge of Paul’s strategy. The reasons of type disadvantage for Buizel and fearing Electabuzz was coming next for Staraptor was cool. It’s basic but he did have a clear knowledge on how to handle the battle. I love how Grotle growled when it saw Honchkrow it was a good battle but disappointing to see it lose for a second time.

Great episode. Next one seems better.

Gliscor made me very proud. He fought like a champ against Torterra, definitely weakening him for next week's battle. I hope that in the end, he's the one to take down the overgrown turtle.
    I was a bit disappointed in Grotle, but that only means things can go up from there.
    As for Staraptor, cool. He never seems to disappoint, does he? but he'll probably be a quick KO in next week's episode.
    and I'm really hoping for some Buizel redemption. you know, people were whining when it was in every battle, but now he's done nothing for a very long dry-spell. I hope he can knock out Ursaring.
    Long Live Gliscor

for anyone good at tanslating japanese, i've got a favor to ask.

could you translate the talk between Reggie and Brock when they were discussing Ash catching his pokemon in sinnoh, cause I wanna know what Reggie said about it regarding paul.

Well, I'm really happy about Gliscor. It gave Torterra some massive damage, I guess Gliscor is getting really strong. Staraptor was also a favorite of mine in this battle. But, Grotle was disappointing. I wanted some big revenge, lol. Oh well, hopefully Grotle will beat Honchkrow sooner or later.

I ould also liked Grotle to win! Evlution means it should get stronger, NOT weaker!
    But when it is talk about revenge I hope Grotle Mabye takes Honchcrow in the Legaue?
    But, when did Chimchar evolved?
    TO THE STAFF
    I found an error in my username, the letter w.
    Could I please change my name to Shiny Pokemon Lover? P.S I replase this text with a thank you line to the staff member who does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny pokemon lower View Post
    But, when did Chimchar evolved?
    In the preview.

I think in the long run gliscor probably has the most potential to take down torterra and torterra managed to bring garchomp to its knees and gliscor almost beat torterra but anywho Im glad to see staraptor take out weavile

The Grotle bit was disappointing, yeah, but hey it's not its fault that Paul put up a Light Screen, or that Ash tried to get it to use Rock Climb with nothing to climb. Speaking of Light Screen - Finally it carries over now huh? No more Reflect/Light Screen = Protect...
    Coming up soon~ Or maybe never.

With 1150 posts of hype between the title reveal and the speculation thread, there's really no imaginable way this battle can't suck. Yet I feel like giving this half of the battle a fair chance, because I believe in equality, and according to my own personal definition of equality (which I can only assume is consistent with everybody else's), if I believe one thing, it's only fair that everybody believes the same way, eliminating all potential strife because all opinion is equal.

Some of my favorite jokes in the world are "screw-the-audience" gags, and the Chansey gag was a perfect example. Although Paul doesn't show it, you can tell he's starting to consider Ash a threat. On top of the PokeRinger competition, his discovery of Ash's victory over Brandon and the fact that he's doing some pretty serious pre-battle training here shows he's getting concerned. And I'm quite glad Reggie has become a recurring character. After nearly 60 episodes absent, I was rather convinced he was throwaway.

I felt parts of the battle were padded and a bit slow, but it's the preferrable method over having everything rushed. I did enjoy seeing Ash play defensively and not charge into every attack, which really shows how far he's progressed. But as nice as it is to see rotations written realistically, I felt it was excessive here merely from an enjoyment perspective. I'm totally fine with unrestricted matches to the death. I'd honestly like to see Torterra completely taken care of next episode so that Paul's victory can come from somebody unexpected.

Anyone else find it a bit odd they repeated the same Movie 9 piece consecutively? It felt like seeing the same commercial twice in a row. This was certainly a better episode than last week's, although for a rival battle, it didn't exactly leave me on the edge of my seat (actually, if you're on the edge of your seat for anything Pokemon, you need help). Let's hope Part 2 delivers more excitement without being forced to shove Monferno into our faces over good battle direction.

Also, don't tell me I'm the only one who keeps forgetting the difference between Reflect and Light Screen (heck, I still never learned what the hell Safeguard does). I remember it now, but I've been having to remind myself time and again for the past 11 years. Doesn't help that they changed the whole physical/special thing in DP. Continues to screw with my mind.
    Last edited by S.Suikun; 12th June 2009 at 1:56 AM.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

I'm letting Shimura off the hook this time because she threw in two Shinji hair-blowing scenes. So even if Shinji looked weird (his eyes are always funky-looking), at least she tried to compensate.

Shinji has a few cute shots in this ep. Gonna start checking my source soon.

Throughout the first half of the battle, in my mind I was like Gliscor, Go for Gold and wipe out the Forest Turtle, shame cause I've had a turtle for 10 years going on 11.

As for the battle as a whole, Good Job Staraptor for taking out Weavile. As for Grotle, I believe in the saying "If it's first you don't succeed, and you try again, then something ain't right." Grotle should beat Honchkrow by League though. Buizel being first sent out was cool, even if it was recalled less than 20 seconds later.

Pikachu hopefully will get a win, but if not then Volkner is its time to shine. Hell, with Pikachu's current status as far as DP is concerned, I wouldn't mind it taking out all of Volkner's Pokemon, or at least 2. I really don't wanna see anothe Pikachu vs Raichu to determine a winner.

This was an awesome ep. =) I liked how they had Shinji take Satoshi more seriously. o:

The battle was awesome, too. It was fun seeing how they got a score board for them like in a League match. =P Foreshadowing their epic battle in the future.

You know what? I'm kinda speechless to an extent where I can't review the ep. xD; Well, not the "OMG that was AWESOME!" speechless, but the "Not really has anything much to say" speechless. :/

It was a great episode, still. The only thing that bugged me was the bad drawings. -.- That's about it, though.

Episode rating: 7.75/10 (Part 2 should be better.... =P)

Overall a good battle. It's kind of disappointing that Weavile didn't fight Buizel, but there's still time for a rivalry to develop before the League. Also, I'm disappointed that Honchkrow beat Grotle yet again. This has now convinced me that there is no Staraptor/Honchkrow rivalry for the League, but Grotle/Honchkrow. I guess Staraptor beating Honchkrow in the PokeRinger was our only rivalry-time between them.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post

could you translate the talk between Reggie and Brock when they were discussing Ash catching his pokemon in sinnoh, cause I wanna know what Reggie said about it regarding paul.

I second this request.

And I can't believe Ash really expected Paul to congratulate Honchkrow on knocking Grotle out or give Weavile words of encouragement after it lost.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

Thought it was funny when Chansey attacked Brock for falling over Nurse Joy
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon , I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

I was surprised at how well Gliscor did against Torterra. It's not that I think Gliscor is weak, it's just that Paul has had torterra way longer than Ash has had Gliscor. But I'm glad it did well. Sad that Grotle went down already. It didn't get to do much.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post

And the talk between Paul and Reggie.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

I dont mind pikachu starring at volkner but I wasreally dissaopinted and grotle so far no offense to grotle fans he is probably the weakest on ash,s team

Quote Originally Posted by J-boogie200 View Post
    Throughout the first half of the battle, in my mind I was like Gliscor, Go for Gold and wipe out the Forest Turtle, shame cause I've had a turtle for 10 years going on 11.

As for the battle as a whole, Good Job Staraptor for taking out Weavile. As for Grotle, I believe in the saying "If it's first you don't succeed, and you try again, then something ain't right." Grotle should beat Honchkrow by League though. Buizel being first sent out was cool, even if it was recalled less than 20 seconds later.

Pikachu hopefully will get a win, but if not then Volkner is its time to shine. Hell, with Pikachu's current status as far as DP is concerned, I wouldn't mind it taking out all of Volkner's Pokemon, or at least 2. I really don't wanna see anothe Pikachu vs Raichu to determine a winner.
    I totally agree on the Pikachu part. Pikachu NEEDS to show the shine that surrounds it, and that will be by beating not only Volkner's pokemon, but also some of Paul's. Besides, if Pikachu can't defeat one of Paul's pokemon, then who can? Maybe it will get to battle Torterra once Paul decides to send it out again, seeing how he just HAD to withdraw it.
    As for Grotle, I really felt sorry for it, but I'm definitely sure they will somehow amend for this loss in the league. Great job Staraptor!

Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

[14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish

*** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

jeez what was with the music in this episode!
    weirdest music for an episode ever!
    overall was a good episode the switch outs were a bit of a drag but still it was great
    wanna brawl?

-Charizard is the greatest pokemon.
    BOW DOWN BEFORE HIM!

Great episode. I am so happy Staraptor got a win in here, and that Gliscor going in a great fight too. I am also happy they finally changed the glowing colour of Night Slash from the standard blue to Purple. As it just made it look more like a dark type move. Weaviles "Scyther style" version of the move was great, however what was the point in using it, since it switched to Metal Claw straight after?

My one main criticism of this epsiode is how often the battle got broken up by mindless banter. At one point Staraptor was starting to launch an attack and was then followed by like a minutes worth of Brock and Reggie talking, inwhich time the Bird still had not hit its target, despite its size, speed and the small battlefield.

Can't wait till next week, when we see more of my favorite Paul pokemon, Ursaring
    Team Shut-down
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4270-1529-9156. Please feel free to add me for Battles, Trades and Friend Safari (Dark Type: Pawniard, Sandile & Inkay).
    STOP SENDING ME FROAKIE VIA WONDER TRADE!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaBulba View Post
    Great episode. I am so happy Staraptor got a win in here, and that Gliscor going in a great fight too. I am also happy they finally changed the glowing colour of Night Slash from the standard blue to Purple. As it just made it look more like a dark type move. Weaviles "Scyther style" version of the move was great, however what was the point in using it, since it switched to Metal Claw straight after?
    The first one wasn't Night Slash even if it was colored purple, it was Swords Dance.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast