Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pedal to the Mettle (599)

I really hate the new time for the anime to be aired, I was forced to watch the non-HD version of it at CNw on my Direct TV. Judging by how the battle is going, Paul's going to win yet again as Ash is being too predictable with his team. As for Grotle wanting to beat Honchkrow, revenge is one thing, but when it comes to type disadvantages around it, it's really not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    Well, if you live in Eastern US and it recorded at 7:30, it was really on at 7. It probably wasn't a one hour special to hold suspense. It wasn't even a one hour special in Japan!
    well I live in the midwest, so it was on at 6:00am, or atleast that's what my DVR said. It recorded it just fine. Yeah, I know it wasn't. I just miss one-hour specials I guess.

Totally surprised by the time change. Onto the episode, though.

This episode was interesting. The way the last ten days were spent by Paul and Ash were completely different. Paul was training hard and analyzing how to use his pokemon (all of them) to humiliate Ash. Ash, on the other hand, wanted to train in the last episode but could not because of Team Rocket's antics (although that only accounts for 1 day). As Brock and Reggie discussed, Ash only wanted to use Pikachu and his Sinnoh pokemon, probably to demonstrate how his Pokemon have grown through friendship and hard work. If he can win this way, Ash thinks, then Paul will have to respect him and his pokemon. Regardless, though, I think Ash probably would have stuck to his Sinnoh pokemon, no matter what the situation.

I don't really want to analyze the battle, since many people have done a great job with that. I do think there were too many moments where Paul was given credit for predicting what Ash wanted to do and thus pulled off the perfect planned bait and counter strategy for it. Special recognition to Staraptor for still managing to beat Weavile, despite this. But poor Grotle...I felt like Ash wanted to recall Grotle, but did not out of respect for his pokemon's wishes.
    Last edited by wind21; 7th November 2009 at 8:56 PM.

Now I can fully understand what happened in there :

So Paul was preparing for this battle right away and he choose his Pokemon and prepare a stragety agaisn't Ash knowing that he was going to use his Sinnoh team. Even though the match was all tied at this point it was surely clear that Paul had the advantage cause he was predicting almost every move and command Ash said. And I liked how the foreshadow Chimchar's Evolution here by remembering what Cynthia said about him , Ash and Paul. And I though Ash was going to be surprised when he saw Magmortar but on the contrary he kinda knew that Magmortar was going to be used in the battle.

Ash : "So he did Evolve his Magmar"

3DS FC : 1547-5393-2663

What I got out of this was if Ash had actually used his powerful pokemon from the other regions Paul would stand no chance because A. they are much stronger than the ones he has now, and B. Paul couldn't have his little pre-battle strategy.
    Volt Tackle's #1 fan
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/s2fn76.jpg[/IMG]
    Diamond fc:4468 1368 0835 ign: psfrag
    Heart Gold fc:4555 2145 5815 ign: psfrag

Fan Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by raichu2626 View Post
    What I got out of this was if Ash had actually used his powerful pokemon from the other regions Paul would stand no chance because A. they are much stronger than the ones he has now, and B. Paul couldn't have his little pre-battle strategy.
    Well if Ash used his other Pokemon from other regions we all know the outcome of the match/episode will be different . Because then the strategy Paul was going to used would have been useless .

And noticed that Paul was like fighting in a different style compare to the other times he fights ? XP

3DS FC : 1547-5393-2663

This episode was great. It was awesome to see a Swords Dance. Awesome to see a Magmortar.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;635; ;598;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

The dub was ok, though I just finished watching it.

I did like the battles so far. And Magmortar.

Question

I just finished watching it. Preaching aside, I still don't see what the point of this battle was anime-wise. We know that Paul wins, but what does Ash gain from the battle later on? Why battle Paul 6 on 6 now, only one more gym before the Sinnoh League?

Quote Originally Posted by turtle twig View Post
    I just finished watching it. Preaching aside, I still don't see what the point of this battle was anime-wise. We know that Paul wins, but what does Ash gain from the battle later on? Why battle Paul 6 on 6 now, only one more gym before the Sinnoh League?
    Well, Ash strategizes a bit more later, or should if he hasn't. He already came up with a new strategy for Grotle. A lot could happen from now to the Sinnoh League as well.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

i didnt like the espisode too well..it was like ash and paul switch battle styles.
    i was hopeing buizel would get more screen time too.
    LF-----nothing ATM

offering a lot of good natured shiny pokemon
    vm me to see what i have for trade!!

First of all, two formal remarks:

- Are there any hints that Pokemon will be aired in widescreen again next week? At first, I preferred the cropped version, but as I've gotten used to the widescreen format meanwhile, I'd regret it if it stayed in that annoying cropped aspect ratio...
    - Do you happen to know at what time it will be aired next weekend? Shouldn't CN normally have released the schedule for next week by now? I'd really like to know that!

Now let's analyze today's episode:

Although I already know the outcome of the battle, I sure was excited and hyped up about this episode.
    I guess we may rightly assert that apart from his league and BF battles, at least the first part of this battle was one of the most intense and best ones Ash ever fought. (My judgement will probably be different next week :-|)

What took me by surprise most, was the fact that Torterra was surprisingly week today. If I didn't know it better, I wouldn't say that Torterra is Paul's first and therefore strongest Pokemon.

Weavile vs. Straptor was probably the most exciting duel. And it was good to see one Pokemon of Paul's lose to Ash for a change (I'm deliberately not counting "Pursuing A Lofty Goal" because that wasn't what you actually understand by a real Pokemon battle)

Honchcrow vs. Grotle was a little bit disappointing, because I would have preferred Grotle to take the revenge he longed for. I was delighted by the fierce expression on his face and his willpower, so, yes he would have deserved the win...

What I liked most about the the battle, however, was the fact that things like "battle strategy" and "prediction" were actually mentioned (for the first time?).Pokemon is getting so profound both inside and outside the battles and I LOVE IT!!!!

But undoubtedly the very best moment in today's episode was...guess what............of course, the Cynthia flashback!!!:crush::crush: Seeing my dear Queen again(if only in a 3 second scene) made the sun shine again although it is dark and cold outside, it caused me to forget all my sorrows, it warmed my heart and filled it with joy! Dear Cynthia, you are the sunshine of my life :crush:
    I was also overjoyed to hear that my interpretation of Cynthia's motto and maxim "When every life meets another life, something will be born" has been correct all the time. It was finally confirmed by Brock today:

Brock: Watching Chimchar reminds me of what Cynthia once told us
    Dawn: You mean when she said 'When every life meets another life something will be born' ?
    Brock: Right, but that's not all. She also spoke of a larger-than -life destiny waiting for Chimchar and that Chimchar is the touchstone for Ash's and Paul'S relationship.
    IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does somebody of you happen to know the original Japanese wording of this passage? Please, I need it so badly. You would do me a huge favor!

All in all, a breath-taking episode which captivated you from the beginning to the end

9 out of 10 points (second highest rating ever!)
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

I missed the episode this morning so I watched it on Youtube a few minutes ago and it was pretty good. I like that Paul has a Magmortor now and I predict that he will have an Electivire by the Sinnoh League.
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/v6ut6r.png[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Well it seems that Paul has the upper hand against Ash as he has evolved pokes while Ash is naive enough to carry the same pokemon that he battled Paul with all of the previous times. Poor, poor Ash
    Currently:

Playing Blackand White

I live in the Deep South, and it was at 6:00 Central Time, good thing I have a Guide Menu or I would have woken up at 7:45, and oh to Toon West I still got to watch it.
    If you think Ruby and Sapphire were the Best games ever and deserve remakes put this in your sig(Started by Clubfoot)

IF you think Gen 3 was the best Gen ever put this in your sig(Started by Clubfoot)

Its clear that Paul prepared for this battle way more than Ash did. Clearly Paul has the advantage. The episode was good though, cant wait to see the one next week.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 2105-8824-8167
    PM me if you add me so I can add you

My Friend Safari (Water): Bibarel , Gyarados , Azumarill

Safaris I am looking for with these Pokemon:
    1. Drifblim
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Heracross
    4. Whirlipede
    5. Gothorita
    6. Forretress
    7. Sigilyph

Thanks to the sudden time change, I couldn't watch it this morning, so I'll try and catch it on Youtube tomorrow. I was really disappointed, too, because it really looked like a good episode.

sheesh ash you have a charizard and a sceptile. USE THEM
    my platinum team -

Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 1st strike, so only the rule-breaking parts were removed. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

The reason why he doesn't has been stated over and over again.

The only thing I didn't like was the constant switching. Got kind of annoying.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Guys, it's on today! Your TV Listings would say the right time. For me, it would be 7:30 am Eastern Time and right now, that's in 4 minutes and so there show is on. But, there is one in English that someone uploaded.

White 2:

Great episode.. but totally disapointed CN put it back to fullscreen with Standard deffinition tv's.. I loved widescreen

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

I liked it! Only problem was CN put it back to 4:3. The opening credits and other stuff looked messed up. It was annoying. This part 1 of the battle seemed pretty decent. Wide screen worked on my TV because nothing was cut off, even though my TV in the den is not that big.

9/10
    Decent episode. It was more of preparing for the big stuff.

White 2:

i had to watch it today, cuz of the time change. i liked it they spaced out the battle which was good. i thikn that ash might win, but perhaps thats being saved for another time. who knows?
    Banner by millarc3005
    I have claimed Mudkip. I heard they liek me.

Quote Originally Posted by pokedexfiller View Post
    i had to watch it today, cuz of the time change. i liked it they spaced out the battle which was good. i thikn that ash might win, but perhaps thats being saved for another time. who knows?
    With each trainer having already lost one Pokémon, people would think that. Paul seems to have been expecting what he sees and has many stat changing moves, whereas Ash hasn't really made a battling style to use against Paul and none of Ash's Pokémon learned new moves. I know the outcome of the battle. Well, yeah. They spaced out the battle pretty good. The switching out seemed a bit annoying though.

White 2:

Just watch this episode, All i am going to say it's ok episode but the second half should be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by aykay View Post
    everyone knows bugsy is the cutest girl in the pokemon universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by HookShot View Post
    Hi, Billy Mayes here with the brand-new Rapid Spin! Do you have Rock problems? Not anymore with Rapid Spin! With just the click of button and the spin of a body, the Rocks are gone! Wow look at them fly! Compare this to the leading brand of hazard removal, the Banhammer! While the Banhammer causes serious problems afterward, Rapid Spin stops the problem right at the root, and gives you the satisfaction of ruining your opponent's day! It's even available in many different fashionable styles! Like the Starmie! The Delibird! And even the Hitmonchan! So don't let those Rocks stop you anymore, its time to upgrade to the Rapid Spin! Call 1-800-RPD-SPIN today!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast