Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolving Strategy (600)

Buizel will evolve for sure and Pikachu needs a new move badly.

Plz Ash use your reserves in the league.
    Total Shinies 233

My DP Team

Quote Originally Posted by Fofa View Post
    Words!
    What are you on about. I never said that Paul is teh bestest dude evah I want to marry him and have his jerkface babies!!1one

The time had to come eventually, and now it's here.

Since the third episode of Diamond and Pearl, 129 episodes ago, little Chimmy has been in our midst. Sure, he started off appearing like he would be nothing more than another one of Paul's emotionless cronies, but you gotta get your start somewhere, even if it is with the Pokemon version of House (without the sense of humor). And I've got to give it to Paul, he's the reason we've had Chimmy all these years. The one good thing that Devil Incarnate has ever done was release Chimchar.

From the start, I knew Chimmy was special. It's not every main cast Pokemon that gets an entire three-episode arc dedicated to itself. It's also not every main cast Pokemon who is given the plotline and development that little Chimmy has. Perhaps that is what made him the greatest thing to ever happen to the Pokemon anime.

Chimchar's all around good qualities also help that out. He's cute, he's funny, and he's one big butt-kicker. Taking out two Pokemon in a row for three Gyms in a row is a nay impossible feat, yet he pulled it off. None can stand before the might of Chimmy. Paul's Ursaring, Barry's Staraptor, Fantina's Mismagius and Drifblim, Byron's Bronzor and Steelix, and Candice's Snover and Abomasnow...None of them had any idea who they were dealing with. They never stood a chance.

Naturally, as Chimmy's #1 Fan, I became a little sad when I discovered Monferno on the 12th Movie poster. Then, when these episodes rolled around, I began to get even more depressed. However, I realized that it is not important if Chimchar evolves or not, but whether he keeps all of his lovable traits as Monferno. And I've got to say, he's lookin' good so far.

I waited anxiously to learn of Chimchar's involvement in this battle. Things were looking bleak for Ash's team, as the Indomitable Beast Ursaring was destroying all that came in its way. But when it all came down to Chimmy, I knew things were going to be ok. He overcame the Beast where everybody else failed, proving who would truly win in a battle between a forest fire and Smokey the Bear.

Then, Chimmy left our presence at long last, growing the tail I'm sure he'd always dreamed of. How he should have swept Paul's team with ease...But I'd never counted on Electabuzz Lightyear of Spark Command (Terrible, I know) getting in the way. When I read of Monferno's defeat, I was devastated to say the least. How he fell to that electric tub of lard, I will never understand. But I know not to worry: Chimmy always gets his sweet revenge!

And now, I must say this: Monferno may have arrived, but he shall always be Chimmy to me. If not in appearance, the spirit of Chimchar will live on forever in his new embodiment. However, I still ache for times from before, where there was a more carefree existance among the Pokemon. A time of Turtwig and Swinub, of Gligar and Ambipom, and of Muku.BIRD. And, of course, a time of Chimmy. But hey, he'd been here for almost three years, and a time comes to all when you have to grow up. Now, with the greatest time in Pokemon history gone, well, things are still going as normally. Monferno has arrived, and I have to admit, I am a little happy.

Really, I guess that all I have left to say is

Goodbye, Chimmy.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by catzeye View Post
    I've actually thought of that being a possibilty although that is really cheesy if the writers decide to do that.

Anyways great battle but the writers have officially lost it! Ursaring is definitely a beast. Paul had the statuses and abilities on his side. Ash clearly had no chance. And here I thought it would've been closer. So we wouldn't know who would win the league. I mean now it looks like unless Ash uses reserves or has his team evolve then he is jsut going to get his butt handed to him again.
    Lol you don't expect the show to be cheesy? We are one encouraging remark away from the show being a giant Hallmark card.

Ursaring was indeed a beast in this, and even though I love him, taking so many hits was a little much. I was actually wondering when he would run over to Ash and just eat his face off, which would have been hilarious. Poor Gliscor, yet again he seems to not really do much in the battle. Monferno looks like he is really gonna add some much needed muscle to the team. Overall I really liked the episode it's nice to see the real flaws in Ash's training methods compared to Paul's, it leaves a lot of room for him to actually grow and mature in his approach to how he trains. And yes Paul is just that awesome.
    Last edited by Lipo; 19th June 2009 at 3:30 AM.

@GalladeRocks: Yikes, your almost on the same level of creepy as Eusine with his obsession of Suicune. But I digress...

This battle was certainly epic, albeit one-sided. I bet it was too much to hope that the newly evolved Monferno would make a comeback. Just think how much more lethal Paul's team becomes once that, as GalladeRocks says, "tub of lard" becomes Electivire. Perhaps an Infernape could rise up to the challenge. Or Pikachu... but really doubt it...
    Credit for banner goes to interstellas

Quote Originally Posted by Lipo View Post
    Lol you don't expect the show to be cheesy? We are one encouraging remark away from the show being a giant Hallmark card.
    OK I admit I worded that wrong. Yes the show is pretty cheesy (kid's show lol)

But if Ash stays the same and he manages to win it will be the cheesiest thing on the show IMO.

I've gotta say, this episode was easily one of the best in the anime.

The battles were fast paced and action packed, though one-sided ad times. Magmortar was awesome in battle, but I found its activation of Flame Body alittle cheap. That burn was pretty much the end for Pikachu.

Buizel put up a good fight, and I thought it was cool that it didn't let ash recal it, giving him a "thumbs up." Of course...he was destroyed five seconds later by Ursaring. Nice going Buizel...

Which reminds me...Paul's Ursaring is CRAZY! Damn, that thing surprised me! I guess Paul won't be releasing it after all. It crushed Buizel, Staraptor, and even Pikachu. Guts was pretty cool, but again, cheap.

But I guess ol' Yogi wasn't enough for Chimchar, who finally ended his little field day. And afterward, Chimchar finally evolves! Monferno looks really strong and fast, and it put up an amazing fight against Electabuzz. Too bad it lost though...

They say that you learn more from defeat than from victory, so hopefully this loss will be a wake up call for Ash. He REALLY needs to train his team harder if he ever wants to beat Paul, or the Sinnoh League for that matter. New moves are necessities, and Evolutions, while unecessary IMO, would greatly help too. Ash has alot of work ahead of him...but I'm sure he can do it.
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-3681-3604. Add me if you'd like, and send me a PM if you'd like to battle or trade. : )

Friend Safari Type: Electric. Contains Electrode, Electabuzz, and Luxio.

Monferno really should learn Blaze Kick, Fire Punch, or Flare Blitz soon.

Also, what was that purple attack of Magmortar's?
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Instead of saying what's cheap and what's not and going nowhere with the argument I decided to do an analysis of the full battle. Keep in mind though because I worked hard on it. Be warned, it is very long so that's why I'm putting a lot of it (if not all in spoiler tags). Also due to the nature of how I did it, expect the spoiler tags (Full Battle Part One and Full Battle Part Two to be incredibly long, okay I decided to split Full Battle Part Two up in two sections too make it easier). Before you ask, yes I have no life.

So...

Forgive any moves I say wrong, basing most on appearances, and what I know. If I make a move mistake ignore it/replace it your mind with the correct move. And also don't argue at all with any battle mistakes, I'm writing this down as I watch the episode and pausing to write down what just happens. None of this B.S. about (example) Pikachu didn't use mega punch after Dialga used roar of time (even if it was a possible move error, Pikachu did in fact punch right after Dialga used some hyper beam like attack). Remember that was for example, not indicative of these two episodes (full battle).

Spoiler:- Explanation Guide:

Spoiler:- Full Battle Part One:

Spoiler:- Full Battle Part Two, 1st:

Spoiler:- Full Battle Part Two, 2nd:

Spoiler:- Full Battle Analysis:
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

This episode was one of the animes best, I don't care Ash got creamed. Battle-wise, it honestly doesn't get much better than this.

Although Ursaring's strength was insane at point. How goddamn strong is that thing?

Nice analysis dman I agree completely

Man, the animation for when a pokemon is burnt is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
    There isn't one in the intro because they want to surprise us. They're thinking "OK guys, what do the fans who watch Pokemon want MOST of all from the upcoming League?"

The answer, of course, is a generic League Rival introduced JUST before the tournament that will somehow steal the spotlight from Paul, Barry, Nando and Conway!

However they can't reveal it just yet. They want us to let our guards down. They want us to think they've changed by introducing four trainers that would eventually go on to face Ash in the League as opposed to Last Second Rival-son.

I won't rest though. I'll be waiting, and if he does appear, which he will I'll be ready to jump out and punch him in the face.

Glad to finally see Monferno. It looks like it controlled Blaze just fine too.

Great battle, although Monferno should have defeated Electabuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by uber gon View Post
    Also, what was that purple attack of Magmortar's?

According to Bulbapedia, Smog. Which seems weird.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    According to Bulbapedia, Smog. Which seems weird.
    Or was it Magmortar's rock tomb? It was a purple ball before hitting the ground. Though I suppose smog makes more sense given the appearance of it. Rock tomb would be too obvious, and would require more explanation than "purple attack."
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

What an absolutely FANTASTIC episode! I was grinning the entire time.

People say the fight was unrealistic. How? Because abilities proc'd when they weren't in Ash's favor? What I liked best was how Paul always kept calm the entire time. And the end scene? Leaving without even acknowledging Ash's presence? Brutal! This episode really made Paul's character. I can't see them doing much better than this. This was an almost perfect showing.

Before I continue on my 'Paul > Ash' rant, I would like to say that I'm surprised so many people wished it to be a close match. A close match doesn't give us anything to look forward to. A close match states that their training philosophies are separate, but equal. No, only by losing badly can Ash really look deep within himself and find out what he really wants to accomplish with his training. His philosophy can evolve as a result.

A key point I think this episode made was when Buizel said he was alright and could keep going. This is where Ash's method of training falls down compared to Paul's. Unlike Paul, Ash is not very aware of the status conditions of his Pokemon, while Paul managed to constantly switch to cover his weaknesses and vulnerabilities.

Finally, a nod to actual battling. This episode was the closest it has ever been to a real link battle. Paul's strategies are almost textbook, and they're really effective. Ash could not once penetrate Light Screen. And yet, he managed to overcome Ash's unorthodox methods of fighting.

P.S. Ursaring is a beast. 3 Pokemon? I wasn't even expecting that much. I was expecting Magmortar to take down Pikachu, but no, Ursaring did the job. I, too, thought it'd be replaced eventually. It's amazing how Paul manages to control something that powerful.

P.P.S. Replace Weavile with Tyranitar, kthxbai.

EDIT: By the way, Dman, your bias is showing in your analysis. You say things are 'cheap' yet you ignore that in the actual game, they have a very real chance of occurring. Examples, Flame Body and Static have a 30% of happening. Ursaring's attack power is far above what is the norm, reaching the realm of Kingler, Flareon, and even Ho-Oh. His defenses aren't bad. Paul's Pokemon landed several more hits on Ash's weaker and small ones and they still didn't go down. Paul's Pokemon aren't mobile, but they're built to take and dish punishment. You should really take that into consideration.
    Last edited by Bliksem; 19th June 2009 at 8:42 AM.

Man I bet Ash will get some overpowered fighters soon after this.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

you forgot to mention that ash use mach punch instead of flamethrower or flamewheel when blaze was active, it boost fire moves up by alot but he used a fighting move which was dumb. to me ash didnt know what blaze does so i think that was he used mach punch instead of fire move.

Oh man, I'm torn between loving this episode or being depressed because Ash was completely and utterly crushed. The way the animators refused to show his eyes in the last scenes almost broke my heart, along with Monferno's loss.

Obviously, Ash will get revenge in the league but seeing Ash's faith in his pokemon override his sense of judgement to withdraw his pokemon was probably a bitter blow to his pokemon. So either Ash's pure faith and his pokemon's will to continue fighting on is what will lead to Ash prevailing in the league or, Ash will learn to balance out his faith with his sense of judgement.

Oi, Brock start being a mentor to Ash again damn it and teach him about these things.

I guess Ash has some serious training to do with his Sinnoh team in the lead up to the league- with the way Paul's team is now, there isn't much of a chance of him winning(and I highly doubt Ash would pull out his reserves unless some cop out happened and his Sinnoh team was injured before the match or something).
    Last edited by Shinnie-tan; 19th June 2009 at 9:05 AM.
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites" - Karen. Ilu so much ;;

Ships I ship: Advancedshipping, SilverxYellow, Collideshipping, Jadeshipping, Luckyshipping, Chosenshipping, Respectshipping
    OTPS: Palletshipping/Originalshipping, Pikashipping, Preciousmetalshipping
    OT3s: Prismshipping

Hmm... maybe Ash might experience a Face-Heel turn.
    Credit for banner goes to interstellas

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Hmm... maybe Ash might experience a Face-Heel turn.
    As amusing and interesting as that would be, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Indeed, his current team is in dire need of training and evolution....because right now, they only way I see him beating Paul in the league is with Charizard, Sceptile and the powerhouse gang.

mabe all though its slim to none ash will use the pokemon he has for the premliminaries and then use a powerhouse team against paul!

...Dude, did I seriously almost forget caps would be up for this episode today? I almost went to bed without looking! Bad Chimchar/Monferno fan! Bad! xD

*looks at caps and writes comments as she goes*

-Nice animation. I can tell just from the stills how smooth it must be.

-Wow at Ash's Pokemon. I think everybody's got a bit of a bone to pick with Paul. They all gave their best, sometimes beyond even what Ash expected of them (Nice try, Buizel!)

-I AM ASH, THE SUBSTITUTION KING. I've never seen him switch out this much in a battle before. I think he's letting how much Paul intimidates him cause him to try thinking a little too hard.

-Oh gosh, 5 vs. 1. Poor Chimchar. xDDDDD It wouldn't have been too cruel if the writers HADN'T let him evo in a situation like this.

-You know, I can be quoted saying a lot "UGH CONTROLLING BLAZE UPON EVO WOULD BE A TOTAL COPOUT" but... way to go writers. The loss anyway balances it out, but even though Paul has a victory, he just got proven wrong about his Blaze nagging. Looks like controlling it takes a lot of energy out of him too.

-Monferno seems a little more of a showy battler but, deep down, is still the same sweet hard worker with a little bit of self-consciousness he was as a Chimchar. No complains on evo personality change from me.

-And just as important, the bond between him and Ash is the same. Ash still carries him when he's hurt. He still gives him encouragement when he puts too much blame on himself. The interaction between them towards the end of the episode reminded me a lot of the one at the end of Chim-Charred, which made me very happy to say the least.

Gah, it won't be in the states till like, October. C'mon CN, close the gap a little will ya?

TL;DR- That was awesome. Heartwrenching, but awesome.

...No wait, one last thing.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6003/414loc.jpg

THIS IS ADORABLE AND WILL BE MADE INTO A ICON FOR MY LJ WITHIN DAYS OF THIS EPISODE AIRING IN THE STATES. ADORABLE I SAY. <3333

Quote Originally Posted by Bliksem View Post
    EDIT: By the way, Dman, your bias is showing in your analysis. You say things are 'cheap' yet you ignore that in the actual game, they have a very real chance of occurring. Examples, Flame Body and Static have a 30% of happening. Ursaring's attack power is far above what is the norm, reaching the realm of Kingler, Flareon, and even Ho-Oh. His defenses aren't bad. Paul's Pokemon landed several more hits on Ash's weaker and small ones and they still didn't go down. Paul's Pokemon aren't mobile, but they're built to take and dish punishment. You should really take that into consideration.
    No, there is no way this would likely happen in the games, 30% means the it's more likely to not be affected than be affected by it. The fact is every time someone attacked someone abilities/statuses had an effect right away, with the exception of Buizel, which could be explained by it being a water type. Pikachu's first ever attack on Magmortar, Pikachu received a burn. The first time Pikachu touched Ursaring, static was inflicted, the very first time Electabuzz used thunder, Monferno became paralyzed. How could not see the one-sidedness of that? It should've taken more than one hit to be afflicted by a status.

And you claim it was fair in the game-wise, except apparently to you mach punch goes at the same time as thunder punch.

How can some of you say you enjoy Ash getting beat by Paul multiple times?? Oh, now I get it! Paul despises Ash for being a caring trainer, but Ash despises Paul even more.

I guess hate doesn't pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliksem View Post
    I would like to say that I'm surprised so many people wished it to be a close match. A close match doesn't give us anything to look forward to. A close match states that their training philosophies are separate, but equal. No, only by losing badly can Ash really look deep within himself and find out what he really wants to accomplish with his training. His philosophy can evolve as a result.
    Agreed completely.
    Ideally, they will pull this off, using this full battle defeat as a trigger.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast