Thread: Tyrant, n00b, SapphireL, Poke-Friend, Dragard: I'm At It Again

Default Tyrant, n00b, SapphireL, Poke-Friend, Dragard: I'm At It Again

Sorry if I offend with using your name in the title, but I want your opinions specifically. But as you can assume, BT team.

Well, actually it's just a modification of my old team. I found that on the last set, switching CB Scizor all the time really killed me, as I really had nothing that could take a beating. Infernape got walled by everything named Gardevoir and Gallade, and Azelf (as strong as he is), gets spammed by Brightpowder and can hardly survive ONE HIT, even in the early stages of the Tower. So, this is basically a modification of that old team. Still using Azelf and Scizor, but changing Infernape. This team's core function is setting up Pokemon for sweeps using Double Screen. Without further ado:

Azelf @ Light Clay
    Jolly Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Explosion
    -Zen Headbutt/Fire Punch

A suicide lead, yes. It's either him or Bronzong, so... help me decide. The general idea is to set up screens, and then Exploding to take something out. Zen Headbutt of Fire Punch to hit Ghosts or Steels. Depending on the Pokemon they have out, switch to one of the following:

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Brick Break
    -X-Scissor/Roost

Screen support will give him a comfortable cushion to build up Swords Dances (even more so than he already has), and then he can attempt a sweep with Bullet Punch. Roost is there to heal away any damage caused during the setup.

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Timid
    EVs: 172 HP / 120 Sp Atk / 216 Spe
    -Calm Mind
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -HP Electric

Eh, I need help on him. I went for a Bulky version of the Offensive Set, since I really like the coverage offered by those three moves. His function is to wall fire attacks aimed at Scizor, and to sweep when Scizor is raped by physical walls. Again, screen support helps him set up.

I switch to either Scizor or Suicune depending on what kind of Pokemon my opponent has on the field, once Azelf has done his job. On that third Pokemon slot, I really wanted just a Pokemon that was bulky, could use Calm Mind, and could answer for Gyarados and the Dragons.

So go ahead and rate away.
    This signature is horrendously outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporeon4evr View Post
    Sorry if I offend with using your name (oh hai) in the title, but I want your opinions specifically. But as you can assume, BT team.

Well, actually it's just a modification of my old team. I found that on the last set, switching CB Scizor all the time really killed me, as I really had nothing that could take a beating. Infernape got walled by everything named Gardevoir and Gallade, and Azelf (as strong as he is), gets spammed by Brightpowder and can hardly survive ONE HIT, even in the early stages of the Tower. So, this is basically a modification of that old team. Still using Azelf and Scizor, but changing Infernape. This team's core function is setting up Pokemon for sweeps using Double Screen. Without further ado:

Azelf @ Light Clay
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Explosion
    -Fire Blast

A suicide lead, yes. It's either him or Bronzong, so... help me decide. The general idea is to set up screens, and then Exploding to take something out. Zen Headbutt of Fire Punch to hit Ghosts or Steels. Depending on the Pokemon they have out, switch to one of the following:
    Fire Blast is the better choice for your Attacking option. I would personally keep this guy over Brongzong, but, meh.
    Scizor @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    EVs: 176 HP / 100 Atk / 176 SpD / 56 Spe
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Brick Break
    -Roost

Screen support will give him a comfortable cushion to build up Swords Dances (even more so than he already has), and then he can attempt a sweep with Bullet Punch. Roost is there to heal away any damage caused during the setup.
    If you're going for a Bulky Set Up, use the Spread I gave and Roost.
    Suicune @ Leftovers
    Timid
    EVs: 172 HP / 120 Sp Atk / 216 Spe
    -Calm Mind
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -HP Electric

Eh, I need help on him. I went for a Bulky version of the Offensive Set, since I really like the coverage offered by those three moves. His function is to wall fire attacks aimed at Scizor, and to sweep when Scizor is raped by physical walls. Again, screen support helps him set up.

I switch to either Scizor or Suicune depending on what kind of Pokemon my opponent has on the field, once Azelf has done his job. On that third Pokemon slot, I really wanted just a Pokemon that was bulky, could use Calm Mind, and could answer for Gyarados and the Dragons.

So go ahead and rate away.
    Not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Tyrant View Post
    Not too bad.
    Eh, playing around with other teams has helped. I'll take this as a compliment.

Didn't even think about giving Scizor an EV spread like that. Thanks for that. He's gonna be spamming Swords Dance anyway, so I guess I don't need all that attack EV investment.

I'll take this as a compliment.
    I'll be blunt, and say that's the closest thing you'll ever get from me.

Anyway, I don't see any major problems. Just play it correctly, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Azelf seems fine (if you go with Tyrants set), and Scizor is walled by Salamence/Gyarados, which Suicune can kill, and even if Suicune dies before that, Scizor with some SD's should be fine (should, although your most likely to get Crited or something).

I can kinda see Starmie helping out a bit, although it would be best to go for a bulky set with choice specs. But if you want a CM'er like you said, keep suicune.

I really don't see any problems, except maybe if you explode, then you have to be lucky on who your gonna send out =/ (you both send out a pokemon at the same time, right?)
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 4339-2697-2470

Quote Originally Posted by Dragard View Post
    Azelf seems fine (if you go with Tyrants set), and Scizor is walled by Salamence/Gyarados, which Suicune can kill, and even if Suicune dies before that, Scizor with some SD's should be fine (should, although your most likely to get Crited or something).

I can kinda see Starmie helping out a bit, although it would be best to go for a bulky set with choice specs. But if you want a CM'er like you said, keep suicune.

I really don't see any problems, except maybe if you explode, then you have to be lucky on who your gonna send out =/ (you both send out a pokemon at the same time, right?)
    Actually, my CB Scizor 2 or 3HKO'd Palmer's Dragonite on the 21st battle, whom I believe is slightly bulkier than Salamence. As far as Gyarados goes, I definitely don't think I'll force Scizor to fight one. Which is why I have Suicune: with Reflect support, Gyarados is walled and OHKO's with HP electric.

Starmie is far too fragile, and I'm trying to avoid Choice items. After a CM, Suicune far surpasses Starmie in terms of everything but speed. They even have virtually the same movepool.

Generally, I'll switch to Scizor after the explosion. Anything he can't handle is walled by Suicune, so I just switch again if I don't like what Scizor is fighting.

Something just occured to me; Gengar could be a little bit of trouble. Thunderbolt should 2HKO Suicune, Shadow Ball obviously OHKOes Azelf, and HP Fire kills Scizor (though that's not that common in BT). Obviously your Screens will help, but the main problem is that it would majorly restrict your switching.

I don't see it even close to sweeping your Team, but it will definatly weaken it a lot. This is even more of a reason to use that Bulkier Scizor Spread.

I'm so offended. How DARE you put my name in a thread title?

Team is VERY nice. The only thing I can say is that you lack something to punish Double Teamers and OHKO moves. But seriously, a lot of teams do. You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by randomn00b View Post
    I'm so offended. How DARE you put my name in a thread title?

Team is VERY nice. The only thing I can say is that you lack something to punish Double Teamers and OHKO moves. But seriously, a lot of teams do. You should be fine.
    I dare because I can(?).

Thank you. Probably one of the better ideas I've come up with. I love setting up, but I get crushed in the process. This'll help minimize casualties during set up. If Double Team REALLY becomes an issue, then I could always slap Aerial Ace>Brick Break on Scizor. I lose a lot of coverage, but at least AA gets Technician boost, and is an always hit. As far as OHKO goes, the only solution there is a sturdy Pogey, or Focus Sash, or spamming evasiveness moves... really no way around it in my case. I'll just hope I get lucky.

I'd just hate to see your team lose to triple Quick Claw/Triple hit OHKO moves after a long streak.

Just making sure you saw this:

Something just occured to me; Gengar could be a little bit of trouble. Thunderbolt should 2HKO Suicune, Shadow Ball obviously OHKOes Azelf, and HP Fire kills Scizor (though that's not that common in BT). Obviously your Screens will help, but the main problem is that it would majorly restrict your switching.

I don't see it even close to sweeping your Team, but it will definatly weaken it a lot. This is even more of a reason to use that Bulkier Scizor Spread.

Quote Originally Posted by randomn00b View Post
    I'd just hate to see your team lose to triple Quick Claw/Triple hit OHKO moves after a long streak.
    I'm afraid there's no way around this... This is inevitable. Aerial Ace and Brick Break will be used interchangeably on Scizor. Gengar walls all OHKO moves but Sheer Cold... but I don't think I have much use for him here.

I'm afraid there's no way around this... This is inevitable. Aerial Ace and Brick Break will be used interchangeably on Scizor. Gengar walls all OHKO moves but Sheer Cold... but I don't think I have much use for him here.
    Did you even read most of my post? It was about how Gengar would HURT your Team, not suggestiong putting it on your Team.

Did you even read most of my post? It was about how Gengar would HURT your Team, not suggestiong putting it on your Team.
    Yes, I know. I was referring to Dragard's comment about OHKO, and how Gengar would wall most OHKO moves. Purely coincidental, having nothing to do with your post.

To respond to your comment, I doubt HP Fire will be present on a Gengar. Even so, a Modest Gengar with Max EV investment in special attack fails to OHKO Scizor with Light Screen support. So Scizor gets the Swords Dance, and then proceeds to OHKO with Bullet Punch.

Yes, I know. I was referring to Dragard's comment about OHKO, and how Gengar would wall most OHKO moves. Purely coincidental, having nothing to do with your post.

To respond to your comment, I doubt HP Fire will be present on a Gengar. Even so, a Modest Gengar with Max EV investment in special attack fails to OHKO Scizor with Light Screen support. So Scizor gets the Swords Dance, and then proceeds to OHKO with Bullet Punch.
    Apologies. However, my overall point was not that Gengar would be killing off a large portion of your Team, moreso restrict your options. Keep in mind a Pokemon isn't a threat based solely on the ability to kill off members of your Team, but also just pose general problems.

However, I ask you; if faced with Gengar without that Light Screen support and Suicune was on the field, and Azelf dead so he can't be offered as bait, how would you handle it?

Apologies. However, my overall point was not that Gengar would be killing off a large portion of your Team, moreso restrict your options. Keep in mind a Pokemon isn't a threat based solely on the ability to kill off members of your Team, but also just pose general problems.

However, I ask you; if faced with Gengar without that Light Screen support and Suicune was on the field, and Azelf dead so he can't be offered as bait, how would you handle it?
    I wouldn't be able to handle it without some sort of hax in my favor. But I doubt I'll find myself in that situation very often. Azelf should be able to get both Screens on the field more often than not. If they lead with Gengar, then Light Screen goes up first so I can survive another turn to set up Reflect. If Gengar comes in after Azelf is dead, then chances are I've already set up Screens. The only case in which this would happen is if the team had something that could outspeed Azelf and KO it before I got anything up. By the simple virtue that Scizor is more susceptible to special attacks than physical ones, Light Screen will generally go up first.

But you're right, in that situation, I'm done.

I wouldn't be able to handle it without some sort of hax in my favor. But I doubt I'll find myself in that situation very often. Azelf should be able to get both Screens on the field more often than not. If they lead with Gengar, then Light Screen goes up first so I can survive another turn to set up Reflect. If Gengar comes in after Azelf is dead, then chances are I've already set up Screens. The only case in which this would happen is if the team had something that could outspeed Azelf and KO it before I got anything up. By the simple virtue that Scizor is more susceptible to special attacks than physical ones, Light Screen will generally go up first.

But you're right, in that situation, I'm done.
    The situations I'm giving are completely hypothetical. This is more for you to realize that Gengar will be a problem in some situations. Even with the Screens up, remember that Gengar may have come up after a Wall did, and have Stalled your Screens out. 7 Turns is not as long as it may seem.

The situations I'm giving are completely hypothetical. This is more for you to realize that Gengar will be a problem in some situations. Even with the Screens up, remember that Gengar may have come up after a Wall did, and have Stalled your Screens out. 7 Turns is not as long as it may seem.
    Got it. The walls are mainly there for safety while bulking up, but I see what you mean. I'll be especially careful when dealing with Gengar. And pray to god he doesn't have HP Fire.

Got it. The walls are mainly there for safety while bulking up, but I see what you mean. I'll be especially careful when dealing with Gengar. And pray to god he doesn't have HP Fire.
    A majority will likely have a moveset like Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Hypnosis / Focus Blast. Focus Blast will 3HKO that Scizor Spread I gave you, so you don't have to worry about that part though. Just don't try to risk switching in on said Gengar; Revenge Killing however, will be an almost guranteed win.

A majority will likely have a moveset like Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Hypnosis / Focus Blast. Focus Blast will 3HKO that Scizor Spread I gave you, so you don't have to worry about that part though. Just don't try to risk switching in on said Gengar; Revenge Killing however, will be an almost guranteed win.
    Ah. I'll get spammed by Hypnosis, no doubt. Anyway, absolute max special attack 2HKOs Suicune with Thunderbolt, and possibly 3HKO if I use Calm Mind on the first turn. Either way, I get some damage in with Suicune and revenge kill with Bullet Punch.

Of course this is all hypothetical, but I still like to run through every situtation to ensure I can cover my weaknesses.