Thread: Why do you play Pokemon?

Default Why do you play Pokemon?

Having been a bit inspired by the 'what to do when someone says you're too old for pokemon' thread I've got a question.

Why do you play pokemon? Or why do you continue to play the games over the years?

For me its mostly escapism. After a hard day that has got you down, its really nice to enter a world that is bright and happy (for the most part!) and has friendship values and the inherent goodness of people at its heart. There's also a fair bit of childhood nostalgia in there too, especially in the remake games.

Plus you know, they're really really fun!
    FC: 2793-0682-8766
    Add me, and I'll add you.

It's fun.........
    FC: 3711-9176-7509
    IGN: Creyk

I was drawn into it by how the battles work. It often involves strategy, such as the timing of your switches and deciding whether to sweep or wall, making battles more fun to play around and they are fairly unpredictable at a competitive level.
    Current And Usual Omega Ruby (オメガルビー) Team
    Claimed Swablu! May evolve into Altaria!
    R.I.P. Satoru Iwata. 1959-2015
        Spoiler:- Other Claims:

I agree Altaria, it can be as complicated as you want to make it. There's a surprising amount of different strategies to use. I've always been more of a 'hit them with everything you've got' sort of player, but now that I can battle online I've been really getting into using debilitating and status moves and generally causing havoc in the opposition before smashing them with a good STAB move.

And sneaking in the odd metronome just for laughs!

I play for the adventure, its fun to escape the real world and enter the world of Pokemon

And what a world to escape to! I think that's the reason most people play computer games. Its very telling that in these times when there is so many horrible things happening in the world, gaming culture is just growing and growing.

I bought one of the Pokedex books when I was 7. I would draw using it as a source, so around that time, I picked up Pokemon Diamond due to a few of my friends at school having the game as well.

Now that I'm 15 going on 16, I've tried quitting, but I always come back to it. There's just something about Pokemon that I still enjoy.

Whether it's playing the games or watching the anime, I like watching cute or cool magical creatures battling it out against each other.

Claimed by me!

Just started it and I play since I love adventures and have got a new thrill for challenges in games

700+ to try out on teams recreational or competitively. I've only scratched the surface and there are many left to use. The Animation for attacks like Aura Sphere, Avalanche, Bug Buzz, Dark Pulse, and other really special attacks are very neat. Collecting, breeding, battling. Fun.

I have claimed Cacturne!

Interested in getting your pokemon in special ball choices? Then visit my Hidden Abilty/Color Ball haven today!
    Thanks BlackoutSLM!

The advert for Diamond was cool.
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY DRAGON

It is great to play and a good way to spend your free time with.
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Awaiting the next Kalos games and pokemon movie.

Currently own: All gen 4, 5 and 6 main series games.

Feel free to check out my hilarious signature!

Currently avoiding the giant chicken so I won't destroy half the city when fighting the chicken!

Oh no, oh no, oh no! Oh Yeah! Okay, can everyone please stop saying oh no in the court room cause the Kool Aid man keeps coming in!

Oh that dog of mine!

Oh haven't you heard? Bird is the word!

I think the question is, what reason wouldn't you play Pokemon?

There are so many reasons why I play Pokemon. The largest is that I grew up with it. Watching the show as a child made me want nothing more than to live in the world of Pokemon. It is just such an amazing world, and to this day I still wish I could. Playing the games is the closest one can get to entering this perfect world. On top of that, it is fun to no end, and one of the greatest video games ever created. It's an absolute masterpiece. I have never played a video game before that draws you in as much as Pokemon does. On top of that it's a game that anyone can enjoy. Those who say they don't like Pokemon either haven't given it a chance, or are giving in to social expectations. I also play it for the story. I know that some people say that you don't play Pokemon for the story, but I do. It's the sense of adventure that gets me. Nothing beats playing a Pokemon game's main story for the first time. There's so much more beyond this that I can't even begin to list.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program and technology. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for an enhanced reading experience, news, reviews, insights into Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, and special features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Simply because its fun to collect different Pokemon like shinys and that's what I do on X version these days.

I collect pokemon like baseball trading cards. Enjoy playing thru RPGs. Battling with my favorite pokemon.
    1 million thanks to Varanus for this Shiny Card.

0963-1007-3370 Fc

I enjoy role playing games as well as collecting stuff, so that's why I play the games even though every core game post-HG/SS has been lackluster imo.

Because it's fun, period.

I think I'm staying with it because it has something for all ages. The various Pokemon designs and general friendliness for the younger audience, and the more sophisticated competitions and strategy game for the older audience
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

Latest shiny: Omanyte(40 SR!)

Mostly because FireRed was my first ever video game, period, but I do enjoy the battling aspect more than most RPGs(aside from maybe Xenoblade). Also I love looking at all the new Pokemon they come up with.

"Those whose memories fade seek to carve them in their hearts....
    All dreams are but another reality...never forget..."

Please visit my GPX+, and give my party a click!
    http://gpxplus.net/user/The+Majestic+Mr+L

Because I find the games really fun to play. Out of everything I have played, it feels like the Pokemon games are the ones that give me the most enjoyment. I also think the games are just getting better and better for the most part, B/W and B2/W2 are my top favorites though X/Y are really great as well.

But my head's down on the pavement, wondering where the years went
    All the time I spent, under eyes full of contempt
    My mind's still a crutch as I stand at the edge of what's ahead, I'm frozen instead