View Poll Results: How would you see Peanuts (by Schulz)?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • See it on its theatrical release

3 25.00%
  • See it on Home Release (DVD)

4 33.33%
  • Both

7 58.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Peanuts (by Schulz) (2015) Discussion Thread

Default Peanuts (by Schulz) (2015) Discussion Thread

To commemorate the 65th anniversary of the Peanuts comic strip as well as the 50th anniversary of the first special,
    A Charlie Brown Christmas, the companies, Peanuts Worldwide, 20th Century Fox Animation and Blue Sky Studios
    had announced that a fifth feature film would be released as a celebration back in October of 2012.

The film is being handled by Charles Schulz's family with the screenwriters being Craig Schulz (son of Charles Schulz),
    Bryan Schulz (son of Craig Schulz), and Cornelius Uliano, writer of several short films, and directed by Steve Martino, director of the Blue Sky Studios film,
    Dr. Suess' Horton Hears a Who and will be done in CGI with Blue Sky Studios handling the animation. This will be the first feature film since the fourth film,
    Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!!!), released in 1980.

On March 18th 2014, the first Teaser Trailer for the new film was released, unveiling the new art style which combines CG and Schulz's illustrations into one.
    The film seems to be titled Peanuts (by Schulz) and its trailer can be seen here, provided by 20th Century Fox:

No firm plot details have been revealed other than to say that the Peanuts Gang will be featured in this film with Snoopy and Charlie Brown being the central protagonists.
    The Little-Red Haired Girl and Fifi will be making an onscreen appearance, being the first time they have done so since It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown,
    Happy New Year, Charlie Brown
    and Life Is a Circus, Charlie Brown, respectively which were all specials that Charles Schulz had worked on.

Info from USA today.

Snoopy and Woodstock will be voiced by the late Bill Melendez, with archived vocal work.

Peanuts (by Schulz) will be coming to theaters on November 6th, 2015.

So what are your thoughts on the new art style and film?

Note:
    Seems to be some confusion in this manner, but when Peanuts ended, Charles Schulz' FAMILY
    didn't want it to continue at the time. Not he, himself, as it says in the final strip:
    Last edited by Kalos Adventurer; 22nd April 2014 at 9:19 PM.

Ah, the next in the line of 'comic/cartoon series from decade/s ago revived for the big screen'. Seems to have been an awful lot of those of late (e.g. smurfs, yogi bear, etc). What's originality? :V

Still, there's a lack of rl actors, the cgi still seems to retain some cartoon charm to it, and there's some of that original piano tune in that trailer too. Who knows? I'm darn unsure about this rn, haha.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I saw the trailer, and i have to say I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me is saying "Yay! More Peanuts" but the other part of me is dreading that it will be a flop. I like the art style, and the theme still has its original-ness to it, I just hope they do the originals justice. But, I seem to recall, wasn't Peanuts permanently retired or something? I remember a friends telling me that when the creator died, he left it in his will to leave Peanuts alone or something. Idk, might have just been a rumor.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I think the animation is interesting.
    Almost seems like they're using a bit of claymation as well.

I still think the film will be okay with Charles Schulz' son being the screenwriter.

Eh, I think this Movie could Go either Way, maybe all of Us will Eventually get Warmed Up to the Animation in this Movie, Funny how they are showing a Preview for this a Year And Half Away LOL. But I'm Excited to see Snoopy.

Are they using child actors, or have they stopped doing that years ago? Charlie Brown sounds like an actual boy to me, so I'm hoping they're using child actors.

I am very, very mixed on this right now. For one thing, the animation looks a bit unique, while still having that charm of the original cartoons. The iconic "Linus and Lucy" piano theme made me really happy inside, which implies that they understand the origins, and what made Peanuts a tradition. Considering this is Blue Sky Studios, and they haven't really disappointed me yet, I think they'll do a fine job.

On the other hand, the fact that now Charlie Brown and the gang have transitioned over into 3D and it looks... off while being spot-on as well. I will admit that when I saw this the first time, I was torn as to whether I should cry or not because not everything transitions well into 3D. I don't care how up-to-date the 3D program being used is, there are just some things you can't make look right in 3D. *coughGarfieldcough*

I also don't know what they're going to do with this world because the source material leaves it very open. You know they are never going to show the grown-ups, the only cast of characters are just the children and Snoopy and Woodstock (unless they bring in Spike). Grown-ups are only mentioned off-screen, and heard as a trumpet blah off-camera if they were technically in the same scene. However, since the previous cartoons have done an excellent job of keeping the grown-ups off-screen, I trust everything will be fine here as well. Another thing I have to wonder is how are they going to make this timeless if they're going for a modern-day setting? Everyone knows the Peanuts universe does not run on, nor reference pop culture--unless I'm wrong and they actually did that (and I didn't catch it), or it was in a more recent cartoon. (Which considering the newer cartoons haven't exactly been embraced as classic Peanuts...) So I hope that Blue Sky is smart in keeping this true to Peanuts and keeping pop culture out of it for the sake of being "hip" with the kids. Leave that all to Rio, please.

One nitpick, though: I thought Charlie Brown was blonde? He just has a really weird haircut he got from his father whom is a barber. Guess they were unable to pull that off here, so now he really looks like he's bald with an out-of-place brown curl. Oh good Lord, I'm afraid to see what Linus will look like, now o_O.

Oh, and I'm not expecting another Snoopy, Come Home. Just saying this right now while it's on my mind.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I saw the trailer, it looks interesting. Maybe I'll watch it when it comes out.

New artwork for the film has been seen at the 2014 Licensing Expo.
    The film seems to have been renamed, The Peanuts Movie.
    Even though the posters don't say, 20th Century Fox's website states that The Peanuts Movie hits theaters November 6th, 2015. Images are courtesy of co-writer Cornelius Uliano, and Comingsoon.net:

Poster:

Image with a closeup of Woodstock in the new art style:
        Spoiler:

3D model of Charlie Brown walking:
        Spoiler:
    Last edited by Kalos Adventurer; 18th June 2014 at 9:39 PM.
    Opinions on:
    The Anime: AG > OS > BW = XY > DP

English Dub:
    4Kids/TAJ Productions (Seasons 1-5) = 4Kids Entertainment (Seasons 6-8) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin) >
    TPCi/DuArt Film and Video (Seasons 14 - 16) > TPCi/DuArt Film and Video (Season 11-13) > TPCi/TAJ Productions (Season 9-10) >
    TPCi/DuArt Film and Video (Season 17)

The Games: BW > RSE = XY = B2W2 > GSC = HGSS > DPP > FRLG = RBY

Pokémon: The Origin: 70/100 (Decent)

The Movies: AG > OS > (Prediction) XY > BW > DP

I'm optimistic. I love Peanuts and Charles Schulz is a cartooning hero of mine. I even named my Pikachu 3DS "Schulz".

HD versions of the film posters from the 2014 Licensing Expo from Filmdivider.com:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Opinions on:

English Dub:
    4Kids/TAJ Productions (Seasons 1-5) = 4Kids Entertainment (Seasons 6-8) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin) >
    TPCi/DuArt Film and Video (Seasons 14 - 16) > TPCi/DuArt Film and Video (Season 11-13) > TPCi/TAJ Productions (Season 9-10) >

Peanuts Reimagined panel.

Movie news is around the 8 minute mark:

- Christophe Beck is the composer for the film, coming off of Disney's Frozen
    But some of Vince Guaraldi's score if any is expected to be retained to some extent
    as the Schulz family bought the rights to it as stated in the article, You're a Good Plan, Charlie Brown.

- As stated before, the film is renamed to The Peanuts Movie (by Schulz)

- The film's budget is $100,000,000 dollars.

- Stay tuned for a new trailer to debut for The Peanuts Movie (by Schulz) during this Holiday Season.

I will most likely link that trailer to this thread when it is released.

Opinions on:

English Dub:

You'd think they'd sound more excited when talking about the upcoming movie. :/ Hell, you'd think they would sound interested about what they're talking about for the panel. But hey, at least we have a set date for its release. November 2015 is going to be interesting since it'll go up against a Pixar movie (if one of the movie's being released around November as well), then a month later there's Kung Fu Panda 3. I think it'll do fine, but you can't help but worry a bit about it. Blue Sky's made a good name for themselves that I think the movie will make its money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalos Adventurer View Post
    - Christophe Beck is the composer for the film, coming off of Disney's Frozen
    That's a red flag for me, personally, because I felt his composing for Frozen was mediocre and unmemorable. For 100% certain at this point, the only score I'm going to remember and enjoy is Vince Guaraldi's score, which isn't hard to do because everyone remembers his score for Peanuts.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    You'd think they'd sound more excited when talking about the upcoming movie. :/ Hell, you'd think they would sound interested about what they're talking about for the panel. But hey, at least we have a set date for its release. November 2015 is going to be interesting since it'll go up against a Pixar movie (if one of the movie's being released around November as well), then a month later there's Kung Fu Panda 3. I think it'll do fine, but you can't help but worry a bit about it. Blue Sky's made a good name for themselves that I think the movie will make its money.

That's a red flag for me, personally, because I felt his composing for Frozen was mediocre and unmemorable. For 100% certain at this point, the only score I'm going to remember and enjoy is Vince Guaraldi's score, which isn't hard to do because everyone remembers his score for Peanuts.
    Good point. That worries me too tbh. It looks ok otherwise, but it's a wait and see.
    Looking forward to the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Will be training up the shiny Abra I have that's named Robin in honor of you. May you R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by WishIhadaManafi5 View Post
    Good point. That worries me too tbh. It looks ok otherwise, but it's a wait and see.
    With two of the writers being Craig Schulz, Charles Schulz's son, and Bryan Schulz being Craig's son, I doubt the film
    would be that bad.

Yeah, on the excitement you have a point there, but this was more of a PR panel more or less
    so they were probably under restrictions on what they could say on the movie.

Here is a quote from the article above, You're a Good Plan, Charlie Brown.

The cartoonist’s son had a short-format concept for a “Peanuts” film. And once he had the idea down, he turned to the third generation. “I was happy to show my son,” Craig says of Bryan Schulz, a screenwriter. “He showed me how to make it bigger — how to blow it up more — and he helped me put in structure.”

Craig Schulz, though, proceeded with caution. 2015 will mark the 65th anniversary of the launch of “Peanuts” by United Feature Syndicate, and it is dicey to tamper with the legacy of, and love for, Charles “Sparky” Schulz’s institution of a creation.

That was foremost in Craig Schulz’s mind as his seed of an idea began to bear fruit. “The time was right,” he says, “and we worked out a story, and we brainstormed.”

The “Peanuts” brain trust met with different Hollywood teams, laying the terms on the table. “If we’re going to do this project, it has to be under Schulz control — this is a Schulz film,” Craig says. “No one is going to grab and run with it. We need to have absolute quality control and keep it under Dad’s legacy. … You can’t bring people in from the outside and expect them to understand ‘Peanuts.’ ” - Craig Schulz (co-writer)
    Opinions on:

English Dub: