Thread: Doctor Who

Default Doctor Who

Thread for the discussion of the BBC television series, Doctor Who. Specifically the later reboot.

I decided to start this thread because, being British, I'm a fan of this TV show. I just want somewhere to discuss it really.
    Last edited by Spacial; 28th November 2015 at 5:18 PM.

I had try making a Doctor Who thread before but got no response. Anyway, I will be kind enough to reply in this despite my failed attempts. I love Doctor Who since 2005 and have watched it ever since. I watched episode 1 of series 9 and it was amazing. I won't go into details in case of spoilers but I enjoyed it very much.
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Awaiting Pokemon Z and the next pokemon movie.

Currently own: All gen 4, 5 and 6 main series games.

Feel free to check out my hilarious signature!

Currently avoiding the giant chicken so I won't destroy half the city when fighting the chicken!

Oh no, oh no, oh no! Oh Yeah! Okay, can everyone please stop saying oh no in the court room cause the Kool Aid man keeps coming in!

Oh that dog of mine!

Oh haven't you heard? Bird is the word!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
    I had try making a Doctor Who thread before but got no response. Anyway, I will be kind enough to reply in this despite my failed attempts. I love Doctor Who since 2005 and have watched it ever since. I watched episode 1 of series 9 and it was amazing. I won't go into details in case of spoilers but I enjoyed it very much.
    You're right, barely a response. However I'll try to keep the thread alive in the hope of more interest having been sparked.

I didn't like Clara before this season but now really like her and am sorry to hear that Jenna is leaving...

Enjoyed the episodes so far although the 2nd episode was rather rushed imo.

Oh yes, a Doctor Who thread! Have to say I'm loving the series so far, and really looking forward to tonight's episode. I think I saw rumours of the first episode's plot prior to when it aired so at the time it didn't come as much of a surprise, although the same can't be said for my father sitting next to me who went genuinely mental when he saw it.

Really enjoying Capaldi as the Doctor, plus that rock theme last week was just brilliant! What's everyone think of his "sonic sunglasses"? Personally I don't mind them although I can see why there may be a negative view from fans.
    FanFiction Account: EllisW

"Heartbeat"
    Latest Amour Fic!
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11489743/1/Heartbeat
    "Lights of Laverre"
    Amourshipping Ash/Serena Fanfic!
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1127740...hts-of-Laverre
    "Tricky Cherry"
    Amourshipping One Shot!
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11408838/1/Tricky-Cherry

I don't mind the sonic sunglasses, I think they're a good way to shake the negative stigma that some fans have towards change, even with change being a constant in the show.

I was expecting more discussion from this thread, seen as how widely watched Doctor Who is, at least in the UK. Ah well, I'd like to keep it alive.

Spoiler:- The Zygon Invasion:

I was shocked and sad to see the end of episode 10 of series 9. I never would have expected The Doctor to go through that again.
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Awaiting Pokemon Z and the next pokemon movie.

Currently avoiding the giant chicken so I won't destroy half the city when fighting the chicken!

Oh no, oh no, oh no! Oh Yeah! Okay, can everyone please stop saying oh no in the court room cause the Kool Aid man keeps coming in!

Oh that dog of mine!

I was shocked and sad to see the end of episode 10 of series 9. I never would have expected The Doctor to go through that again.
    I have friends who watch Doctor Who and we keep each other up to date so I knew something was happening, I just wasn't sure exactly what it was.
        Spoiler:- Hard to talk about this without spoiling it:

Im reading the reactions and impressions of the finale on the internet, and I absolutely cannot comprehend how everyone missed the entire point of it, and how it explained everything. My view and interpretation of this can be considered an asspull if you look at it this way, but its the most brilliantly concieved asspull I think was ever pulled off in television.
        Spoiler:- My views of the final:
    BLAH

Series 9 was incredible; Who hadn't been as consistently good since Matt Smith's first run in 2010. The two-part stories helped immensely with making the show more mature, more meaningful and ultimately more enjoyable. The production values have never seemed higher and Capaldi has unquestionably become the Doctor. Particular highlights for me were "The Zygon Inversion" and "Heaven Sent".

Spoiler:- Hell Bent:

I do hope "The Husbands of River Song" doesn't disappoint. I don't like thinking about how long it will be until another episode is broadcast following it. I'm not sure I could bear having another "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" on our hands.

Well it seems each companion gets about two Doctors, then they leave. With a few exceptions of course. I never saw season/series 1 with Eccelson and didn't see all of season/series 2. Parents got me started watching it and my mom and I went to Fan Expo in Toronto during Labour Day long this year and I saw Jenna Coleman. Her line was way too long for autographs though, I had to make sure I didn't lose my mom, it was her first convention so it was overwhelming for her.

Friend Code: 1564-3276-9539, Ground safari Phanpy, Nincada, Diggersby
    Name: Ani-Mei, X name Theia, Y name Virgil
    AS name Yuna, OR name Tidus

I had really enjoyed the last episode of series 9. It was truly a great way to end the series and I have to say that series 9 was very impressive. Great episodes with great plot and cool monsters.

Oh that dog of mine!

Series 9 got me back into the swing of Doctor Who - it lost its place for me in series 8 but was definitely rectified this series.

I agree about the Christmas special - River is a character that I don't have strong feelings for or against but to me her exit in The Name of the Doctor was final and while the 'banter' should be a good laugh and River's appearance is likely to be a one-off I'd rather not see the lighter tone continuing to series 10. Of course it'll pull back out of the gothic-ness of Heaven Sent, but the darker tone definitely works for Capaldi's Doctor and I'd like to see it continued.

I feel Hell Bent was wasted potential. Yeah, Clara was good in it, but with something like what was hinted I expected more

Theory time: I believe that the 13th Doctor will be handicapped. I say this because, besides representing the differently-abled people, him(or her) being crippled would serve as a consequence for how recently the Doctor has been abusing his regeneration abilities. Perhaps it really does cost him a limb this time around
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

Latest shiny: Omanyte(40 SR!)

I feel like I'm posting in this thread too frequently but I do like discussing stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    I feel Hell Bent was wasted potential. Yeah, Clara was good in it, but with something like what was hinted I expected more

Theory time: I believe that the 13th Doctor will be handicapped. I say this because, besides representing the differently-abled people, him(or her) being crippled would serve as a consequence for how recently the Doctor has been abusing his regeneration abilities. Perhaps it really does cost him a limb this time around
        Spoiler:- hell bent:

In regard to your theory: I'm actually reading a book at the moment featuring a quadriplegic guy and while a handicapped Doctor would most likely have a much milder disability I don't see it to be likely because Doctor Who isn't Doctor Who without the Doctor running somewhere. Yes, it would present another dimension to the Doctor and deal with prejudices, much as the 12th Doctor has done (age. It's a real issue I'm glad it was adressed in the show in the way it was). But unfortunately it just wouldn't be practical.

What if like to see for the next Doctor is a female Doctor. I mean it's about bloody time for one thing. (actually, if it is about time, the 13th Doctor would be a good one to be a woman because it's off the clock. Did that make sense? I'm sorry.) But it'd give us a chance for actual LBGT+ representation - and it's well within reach of the show. Also in the UK the viewing figures have gone down and lots of my friends who used to watch it have lost interest. A female Doctor would reel those figures back in, idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacial View Post
    I feel like I'm posting in this thread too frequently but I do like discussing stuff like this.

Spoiler:- hell bent:

In regard to your theory: I'm actually reading a book at the moment featuring a quadriplegic guy and while a handicapped Doctor would most likely have a much milder disability I don't see it to be likely because Doctor Who isn't Doctor Who without the Doctor running somewhere. Yes, it would present another dimension to the Doctor and deal with prejudices, much as the 12th Doctor has done (age. It's a real issue I'm glad it was adressed in the show in the way it was). But unfortunately it just wouldn't be practical.

What if like to see for the next Doctor is a female Doctor. I mean it's about bloody time for one thing. (actually, if it is about time, the 13th Doctor would be a good one to be a woman because it's off the clock. Did that make sense? I'm sorry.) But it'd give us a chance for actual LBGT+ representation - and it's well within reach of the show. Also in the UK the viewing figures have gone down and lots of my friends who used to watch it have lost interest. A female Doctor would reel those figures back in, idk.
    I don't think the Doctor should be disabled or a female to be honest. The Doctor is always gets into action and can't be crippled in those moments. As for gender, The Doctor has to be a man because he travels with a lot of female companions and we have other timelords to display gender swapping. I wouldn't recommend LBGT version of the Doctor either because that upset a lot of fans that are religious and don't believe in that. The Doctor is fine the way he is in my opinion.

Oh that dog of mine!

I don't think the Doctor should be disabled or a female to be honest. The Doctor is always gets into action and can't be crippled in those moments. As for gender, The Doctor has to be a man because he travels with a lot of female companions and we have other timelords to display gender swapping. I wouldn't recommend LBGT version of the Doctor either because that upset a lot of fans that are religious and don't believe in that. The Doctor is fine the way he is in my opinion.
    Time Lords/Ladies are not cis. There is no gender swapping - they simply have a different (superior to ours I'd say) construct of gender which exceeds biological gender. The Doctor's body is male, yes, but in my view Time Lords/Ladies aren't cis and so there wouldn't be 'gender swapping'. The Doctor would simply have a female body instead of a male one. Um, look around on Tumblr or something if you don't catch my drift.

As for LGBT+ aspects:
    Sexuality is fluid, but the Doctor's mostly gynaesexual - that is, attracted to women. Heterosexual would not apply because Time Lords/Ladies really aren't cis. A female Doctor would retain this sexuality and so we'd have a great opportunity for an LGBT+ dimension.
    Religious fans who don't like it can honestly piss off. This probably just seems like an angry British response but really, this is a show that I grew up with. It is so open-minded and if a fan can't handle LGBT+ in the show, they're better off without it. We've had Vastra and Jenny, Captain Jack - Clara and River are bi. Most fans of the show are open to this anyway, and the prospect of an 'LGBT version of the Doctor' would attract enough people to the show to amend the numbers who would be deterred. Anyway, there's something wonderful about having LGBT+ exposure on Doctor Who - it's so iconic here and children and families watch it all over. It'd be brilliant to have kids growing up watching the show with an LGBT+ dimension.

I'm not saying there's something wrong with the way the Doctor is. Capaldi's Doctor is my favourite. But I'm just saying it's about time we had some change.

Enjoyed the Christmas special of Doctor Who. Everything seemed to fall into place. Can't wait for series 10 to come!

Oh that dog of mine!

Moffat is stepping down as showrunner.

We'll also probably have to wait more than a year for the next (Moffat's last) series. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

So Season 10 is Moffat's last season. He's had six years, Russel had five. Chipnall is next. OK, speculation time. First, I think it's obvious that this is going to be the 12th Doctor's last season. Second, I believe that he is saving a swan song. I believe there is a reason why Season 9 was somewhat lackluster; Moffat wanted it to be build-up for his last song

I believe that in Season 10, the Doctor is going to be targeted by the Time Lords. This season will be the full return of them we've been waiting for, Moffat having saved it for his last story.
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:

Whatever the ten series would bring, I am looking forward to it and I want Daleks to appear.

Oh that dog of mine!

Whatever the ten series would bring, I am looking forward to it and I want Daleks to appear.
    Daleks are contractually obligated to appear once per season, in order to hold onto the rights. Based on Season 9, we'll get to see Davros and Missy working together, possibly to deal with the Time Lords at the end of the universe
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:

I don't think Moffat would waste Missy as a device to bring back the Time Lords. She's hilarious and unpredictable and, let's not forget, she's the one who kept the Doctor and Clara together - she'd sooner side with the Doctor than Davros. Also, the Time Lords (bar the Doc) are all arseholes. There isn't much more to them, and The Doctor isn't trying to find Gallifrey anymore. I'd be happy just having some thoughtful, consistent scripts and great acting for Moffat's exit.