Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Club

What is the setting for your fic/s place-wise, and time-wise - past, 'present' or future?

Like a Line Drive! takes place in Johto from the beginning, and also has elements in the Sinnoh range. In terms of time, its whatever the Special mangaverse's G/S arc is.

Yes, boring answer, but I really don't know what else is there to say, de arimasu.

How much do you (try) to write a day for a minimum?
    Varies a lot. I can, on certain days, write a full chapter in a manner of hours, and on other days, be too lazy to even write one whole paragraph. Really, I only write when I'm bored and having nothing else to do. Hooray, for peace and serenity.

Sorry I haven't been on for so long, real life issues, don't cha know?
    [img]http://i35.*******.com/2s0bg9h.png[/img]
    3DS FC: 1032 - 1228 - 8506 (Be sure to VM/PM me if you add me)
    dA|FF.net|Youtube

New people also added to the club.

Anyways - yes, of course anyone can come up with topics of their own. Speaking of which:

I don't really do that atm, because I'm really lazy-pants man. I also do have a lot of school work at the moment, and all sorts of other things, but I might consider trying it out after an upcoming exam two-week period comes and goes.

Also we're discussing story ideas, so this is not off-topic, yesyes?
    Well the club is for anything to do with fanfiction, and it's healthy discussion, so knock yourself out discussing such things. =D Some venting is allowed as long as it has to do with writing and all that jazz.

And congrats to Breezy for beating her deadline in completing her reviews for the HG/SS One-shot Contest, btw. =D

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I'm looking foward to seeing how I did.

What is the setting for your fic/s place-wise, and time-wise - past, 'present' or future?

Depends on the story. The setting for The Light in the Darkness is pretty ambiguous. I never mention a particular name for the city, nor do I mention a region.

Now being reposted!

Thank you, bobandbill.

If procrastination strikes, what do you do to overcome it?

Just wait it out, I guess. I don't set deadlines for myself, nor am I posting at the moment, so I guess 'procrastination' doesn't have a meaning for me right now.

I don't set daily writing goals, so I wouldn't know. When I do write, however, it all depends on my mood how much I write. Normally, I don't write anything at all for maybe, weeks. xD

ThunderStruck is based mostly in Kanto, but Hoenn is the ending point. It's narrated in first person, past tense. I suppose the tense would make it the past, time-wise. The 'author' is telling a story that happened a long time ago.

The Key occurs in the Sevii Islands and Kanto. The narration is third person in past tense. Time-wise, it happens in the 'present.'

~blue
    ~Keep on truckin'!~

Thanks to Zadros for the banner!

Not coming soon, but
    it's a pretty banner, yes?

I've got a question for all of you. How do you get people to read your stories, especially about plots that the reader may or may not know about? My crossover (as I wrote about in my first post) has been posted at Fanfiction.Net (along with a link in my signature), but in the four days its been there, no one's reviewed it and only 9 people have looked at it.

I just want an idea. I mean it's an OC story, so that's probably why no one's reading it, but I was curious if people have ideas to get others to read your story. ^^;
    (image beautifully drawn by pixiv user id #45323)
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/34il6ah.png[/IMG]
    Lelouch is watching over all of us.

I link to it and post it in as many places as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Mimori Kiryu View Post
    I've got a question for all of you. How do you get people to read your stories, especially about plots that the reader may or may not know about? My crossover (as I wrote about in my first post) has been posted at Fanfiction.Net (along with a link in my signature), but in the four days its been there, no one's reviewed it and only 9 people have looked at it.

I just want an idea. I mean it's an OC story, so that's probably why no one's reading it, but I was curious if people have ideas to get others to read your story. ^^;
    Post it and link it in my sig.

Then I just hope. :{

If procrastination strikes, what do you do to overcome it?

Write lots and lots and lots (and lots) of unrelated snippets that are usually completely different (other than the fact that they're usually in the Pokemon world) in plot.
    These tickets and passports will lead me home...
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/x5e1a8.jpg[/IMG]
    [Credit to ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the incredible banner.]

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    And congrats to Breezy for beating her deadline in completing her reviews for the HG/SS One-shot Contest, btw. =D
    Thankies, thankies. The deadline was the push I needed, though I do wonder what you guys would have done if I hadn't finished before deadline. XP

Well, you kind of answered that yourself, but I'll respond anyway. Getting people to review your story (let alone your first story ever) is a little tricky and varies per site. At ff.net, most of the readers there come with a mindset of what they want to read in either plot or characters (usually the latter). Summary and title there is also important since most people do judge whether or not to read a story by the summary, so make sure you have something intriguing in your summary.

Agreeably, while I only currently write in the pokemon fandom, I do know that OCs tend to turn people off for the sake that the author has the OC (usually self inserts) do things with the canon characters that aren't ... canonical. I've glimpsed at the story you have linked and well ...

YES, BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, PLEASE NOTE THAT CANON CHARACTERS ARE RELATED AND FALL IN LOVE WITH THE OCS DESCRIBED IN THIS STORY. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THAT (OR CANNOT GET OVER IT) PLEASE DO NOT READ. Thank you.
    Again, I only write in the pokemon fandom, but having a note yelling at readers to "like it or gtfo" isn't good, especially if you're yelling over something that might not be realistic for the canon characters. Two cents, though.

Either way, it's also about getting your name out into the community. Try reviewing a few fics at the site you want reviews at (in the case of ff.net, try reviewing stories with similar canon characters or crossover fics that use the same sort of anime). I'm not the grrreeatest about attracting readers for OC-centered stories (I write fics centered around the game characters of the pokemon games, so that alone attracts readers at ff.net), so maybe someone else who writes OCs stories at ff.net can help you with that.
    Last edited by Breezy; 10th August 2009 at 5:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Well, you kind of answered that yourself, but I'll respond anyway. Getting people to review your story (let alone your first story ever) is a little tricky and varies per site. At ff.net, most of the readers there come with a mindset of what they want to read in either plot or characters (usually the latter). Summary and title there is also important since most people do judge whether or not to read a story by the summary, so make sure you have something intriguing in your summary.
    That is true. I try my hardest to get an interesting title and summary but only having 250 characters, it gets hard to make it interesting without making it very simple and boring.

Agreeably, while I only currently write in the pokemon fandom, I do know that OCs tend to turn people off for the sake that the author has the OC (usually self inserts) do things with the canon characters that aren't ... canonical. I've glimpsed at the story you have linked and well ...

Again, I only write in the pokemon fandom, but having a note yelling at readers to "like it or gtfo" isn't good, especially if you're yelling over something that might not be realistic for the canon characters. Two cents, though.
    I know that might seem harsh but I've had just as harsh reviews. They don't even read my story sometimes and then they complain because I have OCs. They don't even read it to see if my characters are even good. Honestly, my two OCs in this story aren't even anything like me. The decisions they make aren't ones I make myself and they don't look anything like me. :/ I get annoyed when people associate OCs with self-inserts. To me, they're two totally different things.

And my OCs are built around the canon character's lives, not the other way around. My characters conformed to what was canon and barely changed anything. The canon characters lives will go on as normal as my characters have their own story/life somewhere else. They all just happen to be in the same realm. It's hard to explain this story...

Either way, it's also about getting your name out into the community. Try reviewing a few fics at the site you want reviews at (in the case of ff.net, try reviewing stories with similar canon characters or crossover fics that use the same sort of anime). I'm not the grrreeatest about attracting readers for OC-centered stories (I write fics centered around the game characters of the pokemon games, so that alone attracts readers at ff.net), so maybe someone else who writes OCs stories at ff.net can help you with that.
    I appreciate the help. I will try to start reviewing more to get my name out there. ^^;

Never in the wrong time or wrong place is in Hoenn. I'm not sure when it is...

Victory or Death is a ways away from under the Bicycle Path in Hoenn.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 17 is up.

I know that might seem harsh but I've had just as harsh reviews. They don't even read my story sometimes and then they complain because I have OCs. They don't even read it to see if my characters are even good. Honestly, my two OCs in this story aren't even anything like me. The decisions they make aren't ones I make myself and they don't look anything like me. :/ I get annoyed when people associate OCs with self-inserts. To me, they're two totally different things.
    They are, but this is ff.net we're talking about lol. They interchange the term "AU" with "writing whatever the hell I want" and a lot of the fangirls/boys will get offended if you have your OC falling in love with a canon character or you're ready to proclaim it in the author note. I do think you should get rid of the note and have your characters speak for themselves. If your OCs blend well into the story and work with the canon characters, then you possibly might not even need the note.

Besides the summary, a reader may judge the story by the author's notes and the first few paragraphs. So ... yeah. Lol.

Edit:
    That is true. I try my hardest to get an interesting title and summary but only having 250 characters, it gets hard to make it interesting without making it very simple and boring.
    Try not to summarize the entire story in the basic "Join blah and blah asthey go on adventure blah!" because as you said, it's very simple and won't catch the reader's eye. There are a lot of different takes on how to write a summary. I usually try to go the more ... humorous route:

"The characters of the Gold/Silver/Crystal game line have decided that since no one seems to like to write about them, then to hell with it! They will! AND YOU'RE GOING TO EFFIN' LIKE IT!"

"Anyway, getting us captured by a bunch of men in space suits seems to have gotten her mad. Whatever."

It'd probably help if you saw other summary examples. Cough. Poke. Other authors. Lazy to use. Action tags. Yay. Periods.

Summary probably isn't the right term as you don't want to summarize the whole story (and you really can't in the 5 characters ff.net gives you). Most writers write their summary in a way that they give you the basic details but then allude to something bigger, usually in the form of question like "Character returns home but then something abnormal happens. Now what will character do?"

... without it being lame like that.

Is the fandom your story in a huge fandom on ff.net? That also might be why you're not getting a lot of reviews.
    Last edited by Breezy; 10th August 2009 at 9:02 PM. Reason: in a edit happy mood

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    They are, but this is ff.net we're talking about lol. They interchange the term "AU" with "writing whatever the hell I want" and a lot of the fangirls/boys will get offended if you have your OC falling in love with a canon character or you're ready to proclaim it in the author note. I do think you should get rid of the note and have your characters speak for themselves. If your OCs blend well into the story and work with the canon characters, then you possibly might not even need the note.

Besides the summary, a reader may judge the story by the author's notes and the first few paragraphs. So ... yeah. Lol.
    I guess so. I'll remove it and see what happens. Maybe I am just being too uptight or something.

Is the fandom your story in a huge fandom on ff.net? That also might be why you're not getting a lot of reviews.
    Well, it is based in the anime world of s-CRY-ed which is not very popular. That is possible. Though, I do have other more popular anime in it. I'll try to advertise more. xD

Thanks for all your advice, Breezy. I really appreciate it.

So I have a sort of personal question here, and by "personal" I mean "involving me". Con season is upon us once again, and I want to submit something to the fanfic contest. I can't submit Business Lunch or Obsession because they already won stuff.

Here's a problem--the judges at these cons are very very weird. One of them berated me because they said all my fics are the same (yet honestly they write nearly identical Gundam Wing fics so they have no room to talk). And when I submitted something different--Devious--they told me that none of them could make any sense of what was going on, a problem NO ONE ELSE who read it ever noted.

So anyway. What have I written of late that could be "different" but won't get me flamed out of there? Bear in mind that they USED to like my stuff. They loved Obsession. But Business Lunch wasn't even in a competition--it won because it was the only fic submitted at this one con.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

I've got a question for all of you. How do you get people to read your stories, especially about plots that the reader may or may not know about?
    Well, my OC fanfic *points to sig* has that "overshadowed" problem big time.

Really, its problem is the of several variabless: A) It's a Pokemon fanfic which, as others would know, it's a rather large fandom, with a even larger + growing base of fanfics, of varying genres from the AU flavor to the OC flavor. Add that with B) Because of its OC status, it's bound to be overlooked by other OC fics.

So... What do I do to try and make it "stand out" to the crowd, and get a few people to read it? It helps that my friends try and advertise it on their IRC chans, as well I do make the attempt of asking people to read if they're bored or something.

And Blackjack, you could consider Creation, which I found a nice read, though it'd suck if it suffered a similar fate to Business Lunch..
    dA|FF.net|Youtube

Uh, I'm not sure if I have to post this, but I just wanted to let you all know that I won't be active here for the next week. From tomorrow until Thursday the 20th, I will be on vacation and not have any computer access. Again, I don't know if I'm supposed to let you know this, but I want to stay on the member's list so I'll tell you anyway.

~blue
    ~Keep on truckin'!~

Thanks to Zadros for the banner!

Not coming soon, but
    it's a pretty banner, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I suppose, this is the place for healthy (or unhealthy if you wish as long as it doesn't cross a line) fan fiction discussion. If we weren't allowed to vent here, we'd probably explode in a shower of visceral alphabetty spaghetti.

*pauses to let mental image sink in*

So yeah, How's that deadline coming along? Doing as well as you think you can be at this point in time.
    That is such a lovely image. Remind me not to eat alphabetti spaghetti anytime soon.

And TBH I've been lazy with this deadline, due to RL work, this Surge story and the Lance-as-a-Rocket story and I blame you and IC Ghost for the latter, by the way! D<

Thanks for the poke, though. ._. *envies Breezy*

/late, but oh well. I agree with what Breezy's said and although I do understand the need to disclaim your OCs, I'd recommend not doing it in caps, because caps is like yelling and it sounds incredibly hostile and defensive. If you want to emphasise the message as particularly important, just use italics or bold it.

I know how you feel about not getting readers just 'cos of your characters, though, since most of the characters I write about in most fandoms are side characters, so not many people tend to read about them anyway. The only fandom I'm really active in is the Pokemon fandom, and people seem to remember who I am just because I've been around for a while and/or are part of a select group who write/read about the same characters, but in my other fandoms I just let bygones be bygones and take what readers and reviewers I can get. That's generally my philosophy: that the readers and reviewers are a nice perk, but I write because I want to, because I have to, and because the process is itself an exercise in progress. It just means I don't expect too much, and then get disappointed ... or that's the theory, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    So I have a sort of personal question here, and by "personal" I mean "involving me". Con season is upon us once again, and I want to submit something to the fanfic contest. I can't submit Business Lunch or Obsession because they already won stuff.

Here's a problem--the judges at these cons are very very weird. One of them berated me because they said all my fics are the same (yet honestly they write nearly identical Gundam Wing fics so they have no room to talk). And when I submitted something different--Devious--they told me that none of them could make any sense of what was going on, a problem NO ONE ELSE who read it ever noted.

So anyway. What have I written of late that could be "different" but won't get me flamed out of there? Bear in mind that they USED to like my stuff. They loved Obsession. But Business Lunch wasn't even in a competition--it won because it was the only fic submitted at this one con.
    Ugh, I had something similar at recent con, where I had to wonder if I was the only one who submitted anything. >.<

What have you written of late? The only one I know off the top of my head is 'Creation' ... though I really like that one, so I'll give it my vote anyway. I don't know how much you can do about the judges, though; 'Obsession' is a chaptered fic so there's more time for them to get to know and understand Jiraruden, maybe that's why they liked it. A lot of your one-shots do have a specific style I can imagine a more close-minded person would reject just because it's too subtle for them and they don't like the work of trying to figure it out. I guess you can either try and write a fic to cater to their tastes, or just stick to your guns and submit what you like writing; personally I'd go with the latter, 'cos if you're not writing for the story, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by LightingKimba View Post
    And Blackjack, you could consider Creation, which I found a nice read, though it'd suck if it suffered a similar fate to Business Lunch..
    Well, this is a much bigger con, so I don't have to worry about it being the only entrant.

But the problem with Creation is that most people who read it didn't understand what was going on. I'd need to make it clearer what happens in it so that it's not taken at face value like a lot of people did.
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    But the problem with Creation is that most people who read it didn't understand what was going on. I'd need to make it clearer what happens in it so that it's not taken at face value like a lot of people did.
    I read Creation (I apologize for not reviewing, but I would have repeated a few statements anyway plus I was swamped with my own judging), and I wouldn't say that the overall theme was "hard to miss" (Cyrus underestimating human nature, his strive for perfection, etc.), but the more subtle detail were harder to pick up, especially if you read the story casually -- at least in my opinion. I did pick up that the commanders weren't human (flesh cutting, dash to pieces, etc.), but it took me a bit to realize that Cyrus was in sort of mental institution (I think you only alluded to this by uneven flooring and soft walls, and I only got this because I read your posts afterward). I think it was creative to interchange the term "plastic smile" in both a literal and metaphorical sense, but I can see how the literal can fly over a reader's head as well. I think the subtlety was what made the fic strong, though, along with an interesting character analysis of Cyrus' character. I think you also handled the use of language and writing style to have already subtle hints blend in smoothly with your piece.

Me being nitpicky however, I do agree that a judge may question how Cyrus was able to get tools and build robots in such a protective environment. Reading over your posts after the story, I never got the sense that Cyrus didn't know he was in a padded cell either or that he didn't know that his commanders were, er, robots. I'm not sure how you could fix this, so make of it what you will, other than strengthening the description that he is in a padded cell. Yeah, walls aren't soft usually, but it's not very telling of where he is. I do understand the difficulty in it as Cyrus doesn't know that he's in a padded cell, but maybe there's a more ... obvious way of depicting a padded cell with out your ... character ... knowing.

Anyway, time for bed as I sense not make anymore.

It depends on how obvious you want it to be. It might take a read or two to understand fully what's going on, but I don't think it's that subtle to the point that I'd go "wtf this author is on something." ;P

Quote Originally Posted by purple_drake
    Thanks for the poke, though. ._. *envies Breezy*
    Tee hee.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Mew22
    Uh, I'm not sure if I have to post this, but I just wanted to let you all know that I won't be active here for the next week. From tomorrow until Thursday the 20th, I will be on vacation and not have any computer access. Again, I don't know if I'm supposed to let you know this, but I want to stay on the member's list so I'll tell you anyway.
    Have fun! ^^

Edit: Post 69. ;o Haha.
    Last edited by Breezy; 12th August 2009 at 10:42 AM.

I know it's irregular to give someone in that condition tools, and it'd most likely never happen in real life, but human medical care in the Pokemon world seems to suck (a whole hospital with only one person on staff? WHAT?), so that's not the part I'm really concerned with. But yeah, I'd need to focus on making his location more obvious, because once the reader realizes WHERE he is, then everything else makes sense. Or does it? I hope so, anyway...

Ripple in the more enthusiastic kind of rapids: Hi, guys! Can I join in?

My name is Luphinid Silnaek, and the only fics I'll share with you for the moment are linked in my sig, and unless someone disqualifies me for not having posted a word of fanfiction on these boards for approaching a year now, I think I will be your friend in this new club. Good, then?

Oh, and my writing influences are all too shallow and varied to put here, but one good author I seem to have some spiritual connection to is F. Dostoevsky. His short stories seem to be the only really serious writing work I've properly understood (the most serious impediment to understanding literature, of course, being the capacity to enjoy it, and I seem to have that in spades), his sense of spiritual and artistic flow coinciding with mine, and even his writing (though very different technically from my work) sharing some interesting similarities. I don't know about his influence over me, however, because I'm still working out his larger epics--people still conduct seminars on his stories, so you can excuse a precocious little fanfiction writer for taking his time.

I have something useful to contribute, too:

What do you like to see from a reviewer (besides eloquent and all-surpassing praise)?

What would please me the most in a review is analysis: a deliberate and concentrated effort to fully understand the structures of my stories. (One wonders these days if the clever and subtle little creations one's done for a piece of writing are so obvious and unclever that no one bothers to even mention them, or so veiled that no one cares to decipher them, or really what.) Besides indicating that my writing was found good enough by at least one person to put so much thought into their reviewing, it would significantly add to the intellectual stimulation going around: one person would work out the story as they understood it uniquely, and then I or someone else could respond to that, or add to it or hint important things, the sum total of which would be a good time for all involved. --I do this in many of my reviews, and most of the writers seem to like it, so it must not be so bad a reviewing style.--

There are particular things that I've seen other authors be pleased by, so it would be interesting to see them straightforward laid down.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    ... But yeah, I'd need to focus on making his location more obvious, because once the reader realizes WHERE he is, then everything else makes sense. Or does it? I hope so, anyway...
    I think it'd help, yeah. It at least give the sense of Cyrus being somewhere ... unusual, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Luphinid Silnaek View Post
    What do you like to see from a reviewer (besides eloquent and all-surpassing praise)?
    Depends on the situation. Er, rather my form as an author or a reader of reviews (weird I know).

As an author, I'd like to get the sense that my reviewers are enjoying the story and/or found some sort of emotion in it (in not the "mindless praise" sort of way, though). I do like advice and reviews, but as long as someone's reading, I don't really care what kind of reviews I get. However, I do like when people quote parts that they like. Not sure why ... Lol. Maybe because the seem more detail, or maybe it's nice to see if some of my smaller Easter egg jokes were caught by someone (it's nice when someone points it out).

When I do read other people's reviews, I do get a kick out of reading other people's analysis of stories and I like to compare them to my own ideas of the story. I also like when the reviewer puts a little bit of humor or personality into their review other than just offering advice. I kind of try to do that in my own reviews (which I start doing again one of these days). Don't know. So long as it isn't too "snarky" (to the point where it sounds rude anyway). I feel it kind of gives the review its own personality. Reviewing is a form of writing in itself, so it's nice to see some creativity in it just to spice things up.

One of my favorite reviewers here reviewed in homonyms just for the hell of it. Loved it. <3 Lol.

Besides praise and a sense of humor, I also want a review to give me constructive criticism, so I know how to make my work even better. (eg. "I didn't like the way you did X for this and this reason. Maybe doing Y would be better?")

Can I join? I've been reading fanfics for some time and I'm planning to write my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Luphinid Silnaek View Post
    I'd rather hear from a reviewer the problems I have with my writing. I don't know whether it's just my nature, but praise always rubs me the wrong way, whether about the fic or not.
    dA|FF.net|Youtube

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast