I did not write this. This used to be here. If you find any errors in the links, or whatnot, PM me.
This is a FAQ about GIMP, a popular imaging program that rivals Photoshop and the like. Post your questions about GIMP and they will be answered by me or another member. Read the below questions BEFORE asking one!
Huge GIMP resource pack, includes tutorials, brushes, etc. (and it's not done yet so check for updates to it) (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gim..._Tutorials.htm)
1. Q: What is GIMP?
A: A complex imaging program.
2. Q: Where do I get it?
A: At their website, www.gimp.org on the left side select the OS you use and follow the instructions given.
3. Q: How much does this thing cost?
A: It's free. No dumb registration crap eaither.
4. Q: I can't open the file! What is wrong?!
A: You need a program that extracts data from .zip and .rar files, I reccommend WinRAR, just Google it.
5. Q: How do I put in scripts/brushes/other plug-ins I got?
A: File > Preferences > Folders > Select folders with files here. Then restart GIMP.
6. Q: Where can I obtain brushes for GIMP?
A: A good choice is www.deviantart.com
7. Q: Can Photoshop brushes work with GIMP?
A: No, you have to convert them or find someone else to.
8. Q: This program is confusing! Where can I find some good tutorials?!
A: Good choices are www.deviantart.com and http://www.gimptalk.com/ (or you can view my tiny little tut...) (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38682988/)
9. Q: How do you make animations with GIMP?
A: It's kind of difficult, but downloading the GAP animation package makes it alot easier (well it does for me) and adds some cool Animation effects you can do.
10. Q: What does the file format XCF do?
A: It preserves the individual layers of the file so you do not have to compress them.
11. Q: Why does the program take so long to load?
A: I dunno, maybe because it's loading a bunch of stuff?
12. Q: Are there any other versions of GIMP besides this one?
A: Well there is GIMPShop, which is made to mimic the look of Photoshop. It would be a good choice if you already have Photoshop and want to give GIMP a try.
13. Q: Can this program do White-be-gones?
A: Yes it can. Even for animations. But some file formats (like BMP, which isn't liked here anyways) do not support it.
14. Q: What are layers?
A: Basically one image in a pile of images, when you make a file the default is one. You can try merging layers and experiment with the filters to see what you come out with. For animations, 1 layer counts as 1 frame.
15. Q: Can you label some really basic things?
A: Sure, why not? (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6812/untitledkn9.png)[/QUOTE]