Thread: Gimp FAQ

Default Gimp FAQ

I did not write this. This used to be here. If you find any errors in the links, or whatnot, PM me.

This is a FAQ about GIMP, a popular imaging program that rivals Photoshop and the like. Post your questions about GIMP and they will be answered by me or another member. Read the below questions BEFORE asking one!

Huge GIMP resource pack, includes tutorials, brushes, etc. (and it's not done yet so check for updates to it) (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gim..._Tutorials.htm)

1. Q: What is GIMP?

A: A complex imaging program.

2. Q: Where do I get it?

A: At their website, www.gimp.org on the left side select the OS you use and follow the instructions given.

3. Q: How much does this thing cost?

A: It's free. No dumb registration crap eaither.

4. Q: I can't open the file! What is wrong?!

A: You need a program that extracts data from .zip and .rar files, I reccommend WinRAR, just Google it.

5. Q: How do I put in scripts/brushes/other plug-ins I got?

A: File > Preferences > Folders > Select folders with files here. Then restart GIMP.

6. Q: Where can I obtain brushes for GIMP?

A: A good choice is www.deviantart.com

7. Q: Can Photoshop brushes work with GIMP?

A: No, you have to convert them or find someone else to.

8. Q: This program is confusing! Where can I find some good tutorials?!

A: Good choices are www.deviantart.com and http://www.gimptalk.com/ (or you can view my tiny little tut...) (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38682988/)

9. Q: How do you make animations with GIMP?

A: It's kind of difficult, but downloading the GAP animation package makes it alot easier (well it does for me) and adds some cool Animation effects you can do.

10. Q: What does the file format XCF do?

A: It preserves the individual layers of the file so you do not have to compress them.

11. Q: Why does the program take so long to load?

A: I dunno, maybe because it's loading a bunch of stuff?

12. Q: Are there any other versions of GIMP besides this one?

A: Well there is GIMPShop, which is made to mimic the look of Photoshop. It would be a good choice if you already have Photoshop and want to give GIMP a try.

13. Q: Can this program do White-be-gones?

A: Yes it can. Even for animations. But some file formats (like BMP, which isn't liked here anyways) do not support it.

14. Q: What are layers?

A: Basically one image in a pile of images, when you make a file the default is one. You can try merging layers and experiment with the filters to see what you come out with. For animations, 1 layer counts as 1 frame.

15. Q: Can you label some really basic things?

A: Sure, why not? (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6812/untitledkn9.png)[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Erik Destler; 1st August 2009 at 10:12 PM.
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/r7q9f7.jpg[/IMG]
    watch me apply the pressure
    all decked in lace and leather
    3DS FC: 0817-4861-0470, PM if you add

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Destler View Post

A: It's free. No dumb registration crap eaither.
    Not a huge problem but spelled either wrong.
    Last edited by ijea4444; 1st August 2009 at 9:55 PM.

Noted.
    If anything needs to be updated, contact me.
    Last edited by Erik Destler; 1st August 2009 at 10:09 PM.
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/r7q9f7.jpg[/IMG]
    watch me apply the pressure
    all decked in lace and leather
    3DS FC: 0817-4861-0470, PM if you add

Yeah I have a question, rather important to me

Before I updated my computer, pasted images with transparent backgrounds stayed transparent, now they're black(And under that is white). Where do I set it like before?
    SSBB fc:4167-6278-2357
    Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon fc:3695 4126 9239
    HG fc:1763 5077 0558
    Diamond fc:2750 0697 2750
    pbr fc:0903-2338-8296
    Wii number: 5980 8764 9294 7288
    SatBK fc: 2020-5682-6888
    mk wii fc: 1375-9321-9911
    CoD:MW:R: too lazy to check

pm me for a match/other needs

This is GIMP related, but its a downloading problem.
    I have downloaded GIMP twice before; no problems anywhere. But I got a new computer and tried downloading GIMP, but the problem is that Internet Explorer keeps putting up that "problem occured" message and "needs to be closed" everytime I go to the downloading website SourceForge.
    The other two instances downloading GIMP was on Internet Explorer 7 and Google Chrome, but this one is on Internet Explorer 6. I highly doubt that this is the problem, but I felt like noting that out.

I would like this problem fixed as soon as possible, please

Problem fixed. I just changed my browser into Internet Explorer 8 :P
    Last edited by kiogrey; 13th April 2010 at 8:09 AM.
    MOMENTARY ACCOUNT REVIVAL IN HONOUR OF GAMEFREAKIN' RSE REMAKES

`
    no longer here :U
        Spoiler:- but:

I just downloaded GIMPshop, and it doesn't seem to be working. I tried to drag an image into the GIMPshop window to edit it, and instead, my mouse just showed the "no" symbol. The only thing under the "File" menu is "Exit." What's the deal?
    My other Rotom is a washing machine.

wait, with gimp you can erase the end and replace it with .jpg and it'll save it as a regular photo instead of making you pull it up with gimp.

My question has been answered.
    Last edited by DasBoot; 13th February 2012 at 11:08 PM.

I would like to point out that this is no longer true. You can use Photoshop brushes in GIMP v. 2.4 or higher. Just make sure they have a .ABR file extension.
    But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.
    Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light."
    See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:13-15)

Spoiler:- Friend Codes:

I have a problem with my Animating.

After I add about five layers, the next layer I add becomes inversely coloured. This then continues throughout the rest of the Animation and makes the Animation look rubbish and the sprites lose their quality.

What I'm doing is I already have the images transparentised and saved on my computer so I'm just clicking "Add as new Layer" and clicking on the next image.
    I'm making sure that I click off the image each time, as was suggested in the Animation Tutorial in the Fan Sprites section. I've tried it with this and without this, and it's the same thing.

This is an example of what i mean:
    http://www.iaza.com/work/110702C/iaza18507297498600.gif
    See? The last egg sprite starts to pattern. The colours go weird and they continue throughout the Animation as that weird colour.

Could someone help me with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Proby3 View Post
    I have a problem with my Animating.

After I add about five layers, the next layer I add becomes inversely coloured. This then continues throughout the rest of the Animation and makes the Animation look rubbish and the sprites lose their quality.

What I'm doing is I already have the images transparentised and saved on my computer so I'm just clicking "Add as new Layer" and clicking on the next image.
    I'm making sure that I click off the image each time, as was suggested in the Animation Tutorial in the Fan Sprites section. I've tried it with this and without this, and it's the same thing.

This is an example of what i mean:
    http://www.iaza.com/work/110702C/iaza18507297498600.gif
    See? The last egg sprite starts to pattern. The colours go weird and they continue throughout the Animation as that weird colour.

Could someone help me with this?
    i think it has something to do with the transparency. try removing it and see what happens.

EDIT:
    I've seen this before. It has something to do with blurring/glow effects. Does you image have this?

Default Image Resizing in Photobucket

I uploaded a userbar from my computer (made in GIMP) to photobucket. From there, I pasted it into my signature. Oddly, there was a HUGE black space above and below the userbar. Is there any way that I can prevent this from happening?

-+-+-+-Mantine Blast-+-+-+-

^
    Did you save it in .png?

Quote Originally Posted by misterdarvus View Post
    Did you save it in .png?
    Yeah, I did.

-+-+-+-Mantine Blast-+-+-+-

Um, you know that Layers Toolbar thing on the right side of your screen? The one that lets you do stuff with layers quicker? How do I open it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    Um, you know that Layers Toolbar thing on the right side of your screen? The one that lets you do stuff with layers quicker? How do I open it?
    At the top of the main window, there should be a toolbar that has such things as "File", "Edit", "Image." From this toolbar, select the heading labelled "Windows." From the drop-down menu that appears, you should see an option labelled "Layers, Paths, Undo, Channels, -Brushes, Gradients, Paths." Click that and the you should see the desired toolbar appear.
    But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.
    Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light."
    See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:13-15)

Spoiler:- Friend Codes:

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Destler View Post

Just posting that from GIMP 2.6 and above you can use Photoshop brushes (iirc if it's 2.6, otherwise 2.7)
    (09:02:39) ±Porygon: Your rank in Wifi LC is 19/2979 [1286 points / 77 battles]!

Yes, that is my sig. I decided to do this to save space and not violate any rules (mostly signature related).

my mom downloaded gimp for my sis on our cpu. it crashed it. what did she do? she thinks she downloaded the windows '97 when she had windows xp. is that what she did?

Gotta have one for me and one for one of my best friends on here!
    ~credit to Astral Shadow