Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Official "What Game(s) Should I Get?" Topic, Nintendo Console Edition

Bravely Default vs the legendary Starfox 64 3D. And yes, I like both action games and JRPGs.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by junkieloser View Post
    tactical rpgs (ogre tactics, fire emblem, final fantasy tactics advance, etc). don't care what gen system it's from. go.
    I can't speak for much on tactical RPG's outside of Fire Emblem, so there's any Fire Emblem that you haven't played, definitely that if you can somehow get your hands on one. If you've played all available Fire Emblem games, I don't have much else to suggest in way of tactical RPG's. Hopefully someone else can help with that, I'm sure there's some great ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Bravely Default vs the legendary Starfox 64 3D. And yes, I like both action games and JRPGs.
    Can't speak much for Starfox 64 3D, unfortunately, but if you like JRPG's, you'll enjoy Bravely Default. I haven't quite finished myself since I got it about a week ago (that says something already given I no-life through games and I've never taken this long to finish a game), but it does pretty much everything right in the gameplay department.

Even discounting the fully customizable job system, the ability to change difficulty, rate of random encounters (from no encounters to double), whether or not you get money and/or EXP, all whenever you want, is incredibly useful as well. You can increase speed of battle and even set automatic commands for level grinding, the game has loads of features to make the game enjoyable. It's not perfect, though. There are a few less-than-stellar devices that the game employs, but if you move beyond that, it's a tiny blemish on a fantastic game.

That's just a brief summary though, and I can't give a good contrast to Starfox 3D since I haven't played that. Someone else will have to give you an idea on that one, but either one would be a good choice, I'm sure.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

So, I'm a huge fan of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and of the Paper Mario series in general, but I've been hearing awful things about Sticker Star and from what I've seen and read it doesn't look like something I would be interested in. What I liked from the previous Paper Mario entries were the characters, dialogue, world-building, a gradually deepening plot (but nothing that went over my head... which is really easy to do considering I struggled to grasp the plot of Pokemon B/W and still don't get Fire Emblem: Awakening >_> (had fun with it regardless though lol)), and a great, creative battle system. All Sticker Star seems to have going for it is beautiful graphics and decent dialogue. :/ Which is heartbreaking, really, because I've been waiting for the true TTYD sequel since Super Paper Mario came out (granted I didn't mind that game as much as a lot of the PM fanbase did. I quite enjoyed the villains :3).

That being said, I have been hearing some great things about the other Mario RPG series AKA Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. Never touched any of the Mario and Luigi games, though. Would it be necessary to play through the previous games first before trying Dream Team out, or is it like the Paper Mario series and they're all pretty much stand-alone entries? I can't see myself finding the time to play through all four games, so if that's the case I'll pass on it. Is it similar to the first two Paper Mario games' gameplay at all? If I enjoyed TTYD would I enjoy Dream Team? If anybody can help, thank you!

FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    Poison Friend Safari - Seviper, Garbodor, & Whirlipede
    Central Kalos Dex COMPLETED 03/09/2014 / Coastal Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/04/2014 / Mountain Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/11/2014
    ~ ~ ~
    [718/718]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    So, I'm a huge fan of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and of the Paper Mario series in general, but I've been hearing awful things about Sticker Star and from what I've seen and read it doesn't look like something I would be interested in. What I liked from the previous Paper Mario entries were the characters, dialogue, world-building, a gradually deepening plot (but nothing that went over my head... which is really easy to do considering I struggled to grasp the plot of Pokemon B/W and still don't get Fire Emblem: Awakening >_> (had fun with it regardless though lol)), and a great, creative battle system. All Sticker Star seems to have going for it is beautiful graphics and decent dialogue. :/ Which is heartbreaking, really, because I've been waiting for the true TTYD sequel since Super Paper Mario came out (granted I didn't mind that game as much as a lot of the PM fanbase did. I quite enjoyed the villains :3).

That being said, I have been hearing some great things about the other Mario RPG series AKA Mario and Luigi: Dream Team. Never touched any of the Mario and Luigi games, though. Would it be necessary to play through the previous games first before trying Dream Team out, or is it like the Paper Mario series and they're all pretty much stand-alone entries? I can't see myself finding the time to play through all four games, so if that's the case I'll pass on it. Is it similar to the first two Paper Mario games' gameplay at all? If I enjoyed TTYD would I enjoy Dream Team? If anybody can help, thank you!
    You would definitely not enjoy Sticker Star, I'll tell you that much. The plot is practically non-existent, there are very few meaningful characters, and in general, the game is just very gimmicky. To put it in perspective, Bowser literally has no dialogue in the game. None at all.

As for the Mario & Luigi games... they're a bit different from the first two Paper Mario games. They have some similarities, such as the action timing on attacks, but defense is far different, since you can jump/hammer for defense to block attacks entirely with good timing, rather than just defending to reduce damage. I do think you would enjoy them, since overall they are turn-based RPGs with an emphasis on timing and skill. It is worth noting that there's less... variation than there would be in a Paper Mario game, since there are no changeable party members; your party will be Mario and Luigi the whole time.

In general the games function pretty well independently, although they do have nods to the predecessors as well. Certain characters who appear in Dream Team, for instance, might seem less significant from having not player the previous games (such as the "Elite Trio" and Popple), but it doesn't really affect gameplay or plot. It's more like you won't get the whole "Oh hey, it's them again!" kind of experience. This does not detract from the games in any way, though.

tl;dr - Yes the Mario & Luigi games are pretty good, and you'd probably enjoy them... Personally I find Bowser's Inside Story to be the best of the bunch, just to put that out there.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Depends on how much time you want to spend.

SF643D is short (you can beat every level and get both endings in under four hours), but it's pretty high quality throughout; it's got some fun dialogue, and it's a decent enough challenge, at least on the harder paths. Most of its value comes from replaying levels for medals and trying to improve your score by shooting more things. It's classic EAD doing an on-rails shooter (with some all-range portions), and is probably the best Star Fox game to date when it comes to providing that aside from maybe the original on NES. I probably wouldn't pay MSRP for it, but if you can get it used or even rent it, it's definitely an experience you ought to have.

From what I've heard of BD, the first part is pretty good, but it ends up getting grindey and repetitive in the latter half. YMMV, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    You would definitely not enjoy Sticker Star, I'll tell you that much. The plot is practically non-existent, there are very few meaningful characters, and in general, the game is just very gimmicky. To put it in perspective, Bowser literally has no dialogue in the game. None at all.

As for the Mario & Luigi games... they're a bit different from the first two Paper Mario games. They have some similarities, such as the action timing on attacks, but defense is far different, since you can jump/hammer for defense to block attacks entirely with good timing, rather than just defending to reduce damage. I do think you would enjoy them, since overall they are turn-based RPGs with an emphasis on timing and skill. It is worth noting that there's less... variation than there would be in a Paper Mario game, since there are no changeable party members; your party will be Mario and Luigi the whole time.

In general the games function pretty well independently, although they do have nods to the predecessors as well. Certain characters who appear in Dream Team, for instance, might seem less significant from having not player the previous games (such as the "Elite Trio" and Popple), but it doesn't really affect gameplay or plot. It's more like you won't get the whole "Oh hey, it's them again!" kind of experience. This does not detract from the games in any way, though.

tl;dr - Yes the Mario & Luigi games are pretty good, and you'd probably enjoy them... Personally I find Bowser's Inside Story to be the best of the bunch, just to put that out there.
    Thanks, I'll be sure to look into Bowser's Inside Story too before I figure out which one I want to tackle first. ^^ I do like the sound of emphasis on timing because I loved the action commands from the PM series. On a side note, you could deflect all damage and deal 1HP of damage to the opponent in TTYD by pressing B instead of A. No jump/hammer commands for defense though! Interesting.

FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    Poison Friend Safari - Seviper, Garbodor, & Whirlipede
    Central Kalos Dex COMPLETED 03/09/2014 / Coastal Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/04/2014 / Mountain Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/11/2014
    ~ ~ ~
    [718/718]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

What 3d party wii u games do you recommend I only have 1st Party games at the moment
    FC:1693-1645-5618
    Friend Safari:Flying-Tropius,Farfetch'd,Woobat
    Friend Safari Want List:

Normal-Ditto
    Fighting-Breloom
    Flying-Rufflet,Fletchinder
    Grass-Swadloon
    Electric-Zebstrika,Helioptile
    Dark-Vullaby
    Fairy-Kirlia

I kinda want to pick up a Golden Sun game but which one is rated the most enjoyable amongst you fine people?

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ Purg View Post
    I kinda want to pick up a Golden Sun game but which one is rated the most enjoyable amongst you fine people?
    All of them are worth playing, but GBA ones are often considered to be the most enjoyable. Ideally, I'd try starting with the first one, but The Lost Age has a lot more to do than the first Golden Sun. The only issue there is that being a GBA game, it's difficult to come across it in stores. It's a direct continuation of the story in the first Golden Sun too, pretty much the second half of the same story, so it might be an odd choice if you're into story. But the story is admittedly nothing out of the ordinary, so if that's not a problem go ahead and try that one. You'd need to transfer data from the previous game to gain access to bonus dungeon and reach the characters' maximum potential, but the difficulty of doing this can be subverted through the password system. You'll have to do some searching on your own for that, though.

If getting The Lost Age is an issue, the first one is available through the Wii U eShop if you have that option. It would be the easiest way to get one of the GBA games. Dark Dawn for DS would be the most accessible one in the series, and has a encyclopedia to explain anything from previous games. The issues there is that there are numerous points of no return, and the game feels incomplete towards the end. That said, it's still an enjoyable game if you can't get either of the two GBA games.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    Thanks, I'll be sure to look into Bowser's Inside Story too before I figure out which one I want to tackle first. ^^ I do like the sound of emphasis on timing because I loved the action commands from the PM series. On a side note, you could deflect all damage and deal 1HP of damage to the opponent in TTYD by pressing B instead of A. No jump/hammer commands for defense though! Interesting.
    I just started playing Dream Team a few weeks ago, and I've been enjoying it immensely. Know that I've never been interested in any Mario games, and it's in fact the first Mario title I've ever done more than fool around in for a few minutes. You can definitely pick it up clean of previous titles and be totally gripped by the game.

Now then. I got an e-mail about platinum status gifts for my Club Nintendo account, and have been thoroughly underwhelmed by the rewards for my patronage. Since I don't have a WiiU yet, my choices are restricted to 3DS-available titles, and it's come down to either Fluidity: Spin Cycle or Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move. Both are puzzle games. Only one seems to have any mentionable story content - Fluidity; only one seems to have any additional 'fun' content or replay value - Mario. I'm looking for a game that I won't get bored with halfway through, but that is also more than just an interactive story.

Anyone able to help me choose?
    Last edited by Profesco; 2nd August 2014 at 8:28 PM.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

I'm confused. Should I get Kid Icarus: Uprising or some other good 3ds game?
    I only have Pokemon Y for 3ds right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Huhadude View Post
    Kid Icarus takes a little bit to get used to, but in my opinion, it's definitely one of the best 3DS games out there. The difficulty is adjustable to make your preferences, it's online mode is great, and it's replay value is practically infinite.

It's not a bad choice at all.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Huhadude View Post
    I only have Pokemon Y for 3ds right now.
    Definitely. It's an amazing game. Zachmac sums it up pretty good. There are so many other great 3DS games I hope you manage to get in addition to Uprising!

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

So I've recently heard quite a bit of discussion over the Xenoblade Chronicles game due to everyones wish for the main character to be in SSBWiiU, and I'm debating whether or not to give it a shot. Anybody out there played it? I don't typically play rpg style games but the ones I have played (Ni no Kuni) I've enjoyed. Thoughts?
    //

Pokegym Credit: Azulart (gym badge),FairyWitch (Userbar)
    Trinity Credit: AstralShadow (personal banner) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & Sworn Metalhead (symbol)

Well I got Fire Emblem: Awakening after a certain friend was constantly bugging me about it, and I really, really enjoy it.

I have also heard a lot about Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles. Are they really good games? I am trying to expand my interests in games since I have really just been a Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing guy so I'd like to play more cool, great games.
    Proud owner of the Master League~

Userbar and badge made by broomstig.
    Claimed Reuniclus
    Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    i won a match with jigglypuff against kirby (the forums user) once. thanks for reading my smash bros story
    ^ So inspirational I can't even...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackwingMarauder View Post
    Well I got Fire Emblem: Awakening after a certain friend was constantly bugging me about it, and I really, really enjoy it.

I have also heard a lot about Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles. Are they really good games? I am trying to expand my interests in games since I have really just been a Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing guy so I'd like to play more cool, great games.
    You have Pit as your avatar and have never played Uprising? For shame.... xD I have Uprising myself, and I love it to pieces. It took a bit to adjust to the controls since they require your hands to be in certain positions, but once you have it down, Uprising is a lot of fun, and there's lots you can do even after finishing the story. Oh, and the dialogue is priceless xD
    //

Trinity Credit: AstralShadow (personal banner) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & Sworn Metalhead (symbol)

Quote Originally Posted by dragontamer44722 View Post
    You have Pit as your avatar and have never played Uprising? For shame.... xD I have Uprising myself, and I love it to pieces. It took a bit to adjust to the controls since they require your hands to be in certain positions, but once you have it down, Uprising is a lot of fun, and there's lots you can do even after finishing the story. Oh, and the dialogue is priceless xD
    lol I have played the old Kid Icarus though =p

I heard Uprising is completely different though... so.... yeh.
    Proud owner of the Master League~

Userbar and badge made by broomstig.
    Claimed Reuniclus
    Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    i won a match with jigglypuff against kirby (the forums user) once. thanks for reading my smash bros story
    ^ So inspirational I can't even...

it is, its not a side scroller, but it does run on a set path, like Star fox 64. If it helps influence you the game references the old one a LOT through dialogue and the story. Though it isn't the same style as the old one, I still highly recommend this game, I'm sure you'll like it.
    //

Both Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles are really good games.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is half Star Foxian on-rails shooter, half action game that's been described as something of a 3D version of Smash Bros. The story is well-written for what it is, being fun and light-hearted, while the core gameplay offers a ton of depth and replayability. It's very accommodating, thanks to its difficulty slider and huge amount of variation between weaponry, and if the mulitplayer is still active, it's an excellent complement to the single-player mode.

If you want Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'd suggest at least borrowing it or renting it to see how well you handle the controls, particularly if you've got an OG 3DS or 2DS as opposed to an XL. The game can be purchased either on its own or as part of the larger box with the stand and AR cards; if you feel you need the stand to play, I'd honestly just buy it separately and either download the game or buy it used.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a full throttle JPRG, a massive quest that will devour hours of your life in its all-consuming plot. It does away with a lot of the more agonizing traditions of its brethren, and implements some elements of Western MMOs. The world is massive and full of incentives to explore, the combat system is highly tactical, and its story is exceptionally told and well-paced. This game has an absolutely staggering amount of content, and it rewards your dedication to it.

If you want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, I'd advise using a guide to handle the sidequests; there's no real point in going out of your way to complete all of them, and the game's system for assigning quests and completing makes it easy to miss out on some of the better ones and have them lost forever. That said, you should play it at your own pace and try not to worry about 100%ing it.

i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Both Kid Icarus: Uprising and Xenoblade Chronicles are really good games.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is half Star Foxian on-rails shooter, half action game that's been described as something of a 3D version of Smash Bros. The story is well-written for what it is, being fun and light-hearted, while the core gameplay offers a ton of depth and replayability. It's very accommodating, thanks to its difficulty slider and huge amount of variation between weaponry, and if the mulitplayer is still active, it's an excellent complement to the single-player mode.

If you want Kid Icarus: Uprising, I'd suggest at least borrowing it or renting it to see how well you handle the controls, particularly if you've got an OG 3DS or 2DS as opposed to an XL. The game can be purchased either on its own or as part of the larger box with the stand and AR cards; if you feel you need the stand to play, I'd honestly just buy it separately and either download the game or buy it used.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a full throttle JPRG, a massive quest that will devour hours of your life in its all-consuming plot. It does away with a lot of the more agonizing traditions of its brethren, and implements some elements of Western MMOs. The world is massive and full of incentives to explore, the combat system is highly tactical, and its story is exceptionally told and well-paced. This game has an absolutely staggering amount of content, and it rewards your dedication to it.

If you want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, I'd advise using a guide to handle the sidequests; there's no real point in going out of your way to complete all of them, and the game's system for assigning quests and completing makes it easy to miss out on some of the better ones and have them lost forever. That said, you should play it at your own pace and try not to worry about 100%ing it.
    I'v nevr 100% any game I've ever owned, so thats not a problem. Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try it out now
    //

Get a Circle Pad Pro if you want Kid Icarus Uprising. It's playable without it, but it's really clunky and horrible. I've played a few games with bad controls, and KIU easily takes the #1 spot. I've had the game since Day 1, and have yet to beat it because of the controls.
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

LIVE IN YUR WRLD. PLY IN URS.

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraIsAwesome View Post
    Get a Circle Pad Pro if you want Kid Icarus Uprising. It's playable without it, but it's really clunky and horrible. I've played a few games with bad controls, and KIU easily takes the #1 spot. I've had the game since Day 1, and have yet to beat it because of the controls.
    I never had issues figuring it out without the Pad. Maybe I'm more ambidextrous then you are xD Yes it took getting used to but its not excrutiatingly hard. Regardless, I'dstill say you should at least try it.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by dragontamer44722 View Post
    I never had issues figuring it out without the Pad. Maybe I'm more ambidextrous then you are xD Yes it took getting used to but its not excrutiatingly hard. Regardless, I'dstill say you should at least try it.
    Kid Icarus Uprising is harder for Left handed people (Like me) because you need to hold the stylus AND the circle pad (kinda like the strength test thing in X/Y). If your left handed, you can either choose to move with A B X Y or the circle pad pro.

"I never lose my confidence."

I have claimed Ivan from Golden Sun, Bayleef, and Kingdom Hearts-Chain of Memories for the GBA.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/S...ws.asp?c=61465.

I have Monster Hunter, Zelda and Kirby and don't want Art Acadamy in the slightest.
    Of the remaining 3- Mario Party, Mario Golf and Yoshi's New Island- Does anyone own any of the games/have a reccomendation?

I'm currently leaning towards Mario Golf.
    My 3ds Friend Code:
    Name: Rotem
    FC: 4425-1847-2626

I have Pokemon X, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Mario Kart 7, Bravely Default, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Steel Diver: Sub Wars Premium for Multiplayer. Add me if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite Fan View Post
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/S...ws.asp?c=61465.

I have Monster Hunter, Zelda and Kirby and don't want Art Acadamy in the slightest.
    Of the remaining 3- Mario Party, Mario Golf and Yoshi's New Island- Does anyone own any of the games/have a reccomendation?

I'm currently leaning towards Mario Golf.
    Tough choice since Island Tour, World Tour & New Island aren't fantastic games in my opinion. They are pretty decent though. I agree that you should go with Mario Golf (and you should get the DLC if you can). Then again, if you planned on possibly buying Mario Party or Yoshi in the near future, maybe you should get those here for free because Mario Golf is cheaper.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425