Thread: What should I do?

Default What should I do?

hello, I'm new to this community, but not so new to Pokémon, but I recently started playing the 4th generation. I want to start competitive battling as soon as posible, should I start looking for good Pokémon right away or should I finish the game and then start breeding, should I look for trades right away? well in short.. where should I start?.

P.S. I know the basics of compettive battling (EV, IV, etc.)

Do you have trained Pokes from the 3rd Gen games?

I suggest you finish the game first so you can access to certain areas which can help you to train Pokemons or whatever.

Shiny Chikorita
    916 SRs | HeartGold

• • • • •

Just do the storyline first. Then get to competetive battling.
    I have claimed Beedrill

Quote Originally Posted by UmbreonLord View Post
    Just do the storyline first. Then get to competetive battling.

That sounds about right

Yes, I've trained a few Pokes from the third gen. Ok, so i will go and do the storyline first, then start breeding and such, Thank you very much.

Finish the game first, that way you can get the National PokeDex, and have access to all 493 pokemon.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Finish the game first, so you can be able to get any pokemon you want to use for competitive battling.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 2105-8824-8167
    PM me if you add me so I can add you

My Friend Safari (Water): Bibarel , Gyarados , Azumarill

Safaris I am looking for with these Pokemon:
    1. Drifblim
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Heracross
    4. Whirlipede
    5. Gothorita
    6. Forretress
    7. Sigilyph

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaelo View Post
    hello, I'm new to this community, but not so new to Pokémon, but I recently started playing the 4th generation. I want to start competitive battling as soon as posible, should I start looking for good Pokémon right away or should I finish the game and then start breeding, should I look for trades right away? well in short.. where should I start?.

P.S. I know the basics of compettive battling (EV, IV, etc.)
    Chances are if you are asking this question, competitive Battling is a stretch...

I GUESS if you know EVs and IVs and such you are on your way (and leaps and bounds above me I might add haha) then you may have a chance.. but I guess you'll know when you fight your first battle eh?
    I need:
    MALE TRAPINCH with Earthquake!!

Or just Earthquake lol

I have:
    Charmanders Just hatched
    Squirtles Just hatched
    All Sinnoh Starters, just hatched
    Can now spread Pokerus (Thanks to Gongwan!)

I'm not too too picky with offers really. I mean if you want anything from my list lemme know. I tend to be easy on my requests I think...

Like I said, just let me know!

I suggest you finish the storyline first. If you do, you will be able to access the Pal Park and send your trained Pokemon from GBA Pokemon games.
    <--ZAPMOLCUNO SPRITED BY ME. NOT FOR PUBLIC USE!
    I claim Black Dog by Led Zeppelin.

Diamond FC: 1934 8450 8903

well, i suppose i didn't asked properly, what i meant was that if i should start looking to train Pok&#233;mon for my in-game adventure that would be useful for competitive battling. For example, when playing in-game only, do you soft reset 15 times your game to get the right nature on your starter? or you just take the first one and then breed for the perfect Pok&#233;mon?

well, i suppose i didn't asked properly, what i meant was that if i should start looking to train Pokémon for my in-game adventure that would be useful for competitive battling. For example, when playing in-game only, do you soft reset 15 times your game to get the right nature on your starter? or you just take the first one and then breed for the perfect Pokémon?
    Well that's entirely up to you.. Do you want to spend the time training two different pokemon, one for in-game (lvl 60 at least prob), then getting your competitive team to 100?

Generally EV training is not needed in-game. As I can attest to not understanding it, and doing pretty well in-game.

But if I DO understand, then it would be hard to level up your pokes to gym leader status if you want to get certain stats up only right? Cause if you kill certain ones wouldn't that offset it? I'm sorry if that was dumb I have no idea how to do EVs or how to calculate them.. :-P

so idunno how it works, but if it doesn't really disrupt game flow too much, getting started on them now would be a nice way to go id say?
    I need:

Or just Earthquake lol

I have:
    Charmanders Just hatched
    Squirtles Just hatched

I'm not too too picky with offers really. I mean if you want anything from my list lemme know. I tend to be easy on my requests I think...

Quote Originally Posted by partyboi927 View Post
    Well that's entirely up to you.. Do you want to spend the time training two different pokemon, one for in-game (lvl 60 at least prob), then getting your competitive team to 100?
    A competitive team doesn't have to be level 100. On Wifi just do a Level 100 Single Battle and it automatically makes your Pokemon Level 100 for the duration of the battle.

EV Training pre-E4 is a tedious process without the possibility of Power Items and probably Pokerus (although you could trade for these). So it is recommended to hold off on it until Post-E4. Also make sure you fully understand it so you don't end up wasting your time.

click!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    A competitive team doesn't have to be level 100. On Wifi just do a Level 100 Single Battle and it automatically makes your Pokemon Level 100 for the duration of the battle.
    Lol thanks :-P
    I need:

Or just Earthquake lol

I have:
    Charmanders Just hatched
    Squirtles Just hatched

If you want to get a feel of the competitive scene, download Shoddybattle. It's free and you can see how it's changed since 386. Ingame, do the story first but you can kinda pseudo-EV train. That's like having your Pokemon get certain EVs whenever it can, but not really keeping track or anything. You can use the EV reducing berries later and retrain them.

just finish the game first. its easier to EV and IV train later in the new areas
    Name: Ali
    Diamond Friend Code: 1419 3065 1467
    Heartgold Friend Code: 1720 5876 5019

ahhh, quite interesting, so when i want to play competitive battling i don't need to rise my pokes to level 100?, i just need to EV train them and when i get all the EV it can get, i just play on wi-fi on level 100 and they will get their stats and everything to level 100?.

ahhh, quite interesting, so when i want to play competitive battling i don't need to rise my pokes to level 100?, i just need to EV train them and when i get all the EV it can get, i just play on wi-fi on level 100 and they will get their stats and everything to level 100?.
    There is a mode on wifi when you are entering a battle that allows all pokemon to be lvl 100 for the battle. Any EV's/IV's invested into each pokemon will be there at lvl 100. For example, my Umbreon is a lvl 14 in the game with maxed EV's and the right IV's, when I go into a wifi battle the EV's and IV's still come up. Hope that helps. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Trainer Brad View Post
    What food does Taco Bell sell? Is it a chicken place like KFC?
    Omg ^

To ask two relevant questions without a new thread...:

1) How will an EV trained Pokemon fair with an in-game Pokemon?

2) So that Single LV 100 battle thing works in Pokemon D/P as well, not just Platinum?

My HG Beginner team

FCs
    Pokemon Diamond: 4596 6698 2106 [Marcus]
    Super Smash Bros Brawl : 3780-8693-3332 [MARX]
    Animal Crossing City Folk: PM ONLY