Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 80

Thread: Older Shippings Fading Into The Dark

  1. #1

    Default Older Shippings Fading Into The Dark

    Does this annoy anyone else?

    I'm not a big fan of the minor shippings, and I'm a relatively conservative guy, so I prefer sticking to the basic shippings. Even shortly after the ending of DP in the community it's such that PearlShipping never even existed, meaning that my favorite Advanceshipping is like, invisible, not to mention that I'm not big on NagaiShipping.

    So basically, along with that question, what are everyone's favorite older shippings? (For the sake of defining "older" we will say AG and previous)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mother's Basement, USA
    Posts
    567

    Default

    KetchupShipping (Pikachu x Ketchup).

    It is/was the one canon shipping involving a Pokemon. Sadly, Pikachu's ketchup fetish died off early on in the series, his beloved bottle of condiments having been destroyed during the battle against Lt. Surge. Not even during the scene in BW001 where Pikachu eats while on a highchair is his beloved ketchup seen.
    Last edited by Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb; 15th May 2011 at 10:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Posts
    95

    Default

    My favourite "Old" (if you say so) ships are Pokeshipping, and Orangeshipping. However, since the former still has a strong fanbase till now, I don't think that ship can be classified as old (Despite of the fact that it was the very first ship to appear in the anime).

    As for Orangeshipping (TraceyxMisty/KenjixKasumi/KenKasu), even though that I don't really understand the hints, and the hints itself is not really obvious when compared to Pokeshiping, for example (Not to mention that Tracey is in some ways or antoher appears to be a Pokeshipper in some circumstances). But seeing that Misty and Tracey is not too far apart once it comes to location (Cerulean is not too far from Prof. Oak's laboratory in Pallet), and after seeing some hints, I could say that it might have a chance to happen (Although not as much as the chance for PS to happen). However, as of now, the ship seems to "fade into dark" as there is hardly any discussion of it anymore.


    Youtube/Ace Combat Skies/FFN (FF.Net)/Bulbagarden Forums (BMGF)/Electrosphere.info/deviantART/MyAnimeList

    It is pretty unfortunate that I can't be active anymore, but I have dropped out of Pokemon and therefore, not very active anymore in this forums

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,400

    Default

    While old ships will always have their supporters, I think the reason they're not as, "talked about" as they used to be is because these characters haven't appeared in ages.

    For example, anyone notice almost all AG ships have dwindled considerably in the fandom? I still remember the days of the big Contestshipping and Advanceshipping discussions, and nowadays you hardly see that.

    Since most old characters hardly appear in the anime anymore, some people will find it hard to stay interested. There's no, "new material," to speak of to go on.

  5. #5

    Default

    But is the fact that the characters haven't been around lately make them non-discussable?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    the Reverse World
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    ^Yes it does. From personal experience, there are only so many made-up scenarios you can gush about before it gets old. And there are only so many things people can say about old hints before that gets old as well. If characters don't show up anymore with new hints/material to speculate, then the discussion dies.

    My favorite "old" ship is Contestshipping and it remains my Pokemon OTP. But my days of going into the CS thread are far behind me. I always tell myself I'll go in there and it'll be like old times, but I don't. The excitement from the ship is no longer there because May and Drew are old characters and haven't appeared in years (even May's appearance in DP is at least a year ago). I can't go in there and start talking about what would happen if May and Drew did this on this holiday, or other fanfic-esque discussion about a ship I used to discuss real hints about years ago.

    That's my personal thing, though. Obviously, there are still people out there who are fine discussing it that way, and so the thread kind of lives on.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

    Status: Chaptered | R | Contestshipping | Finished

    Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

    Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Driftveil City, Unova
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Latios. View Post
    But is the fact that the characters haven't been around lately make them non-discussable?
    Exactly.

    Although I'm still a supporter of Comashipping, Contestshipping, and Pearlshipping, I really can't go into a discussion about them anymore. There really is nothing else to talk about.

    It's easy to talk about Character A and Character B hooking up when said characters are interacting with each other visibly.

    Shipping is like food. It has a good taste while it's fresh. When it gets stale, it's not so tasty. You'll still have wonderful memories of the taste even after it's stale. You just won't try to take a bite into stale food.


    ...Bad analogy I know.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ferelden
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Old shippings just make me sad. I only recently got into DP and I adore Ikari, HeatTag and Comashipping. But since DP is old, those threads don't get much attention. And I know the OP said AG back, but these shippings have already faded into obscurity.

    Contestshipping sounds like a great pairing that I would like, but I can tell this shipping has just faded as well. The only "new" pairing I like is Ferriswheelshipping, which is game-based. I haven't really seen enough BW to get any pairings.
    \

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopika View Post
    My favorite "old" ship is Contestshipping and it remains my Pokemon OTP. But my days of going into the CS thread are far behind me. I always tell myself I'll go in there and it'll be like old times, but I don't.
    Its interesting to note the Contestshipping thread was closed a few months ago because of inactivity. But I suppose that's not surprising, most supporters of the ship have discussed it in depth and with AG so old now there's not much interest.

    I'd say Contestshipping was in its peak around 2005 and 2006, as that's when we were in the tail-end of Hoenn and Battle Frontier respectively. Even in 2003 and 2004 when Hoenn was just starting, Contestshipping was in its infancy.


    Oddly enough, all the major Ash ships are still going. I guess when it relates to the main character, it can still go on even though said pairing whether it be Misty/May/Dawn or Gary, etc. are all gone.

  10. #10

    Default

    As Cybs said, when the characters get removed from the series and newbie fans come in, they won't know what the heck that ship is, only old school fans will. I can see a lot of newbie fans shipping Negaishipping/Bestwishshipping/Imaginationshipping {If Bel appears more} Ash/Whatever next girl character gets a crush on him this series {Happens every series folks, don't be shocked about it happing here too} Yaoi wise, CafeMocashipping and maybe Ash/Trip??? Just how it goes.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

    Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    O-hai-yo
    Posts
    307

    Default

    I was kinda sad to see the Contestshipping thread close a few months ago. Although, when it was still a bit active, I had some trouble making new comments. Like said before, you can only answer questions about hints and scenarios until you've repeated yourself so much that there isn't much to say.

    Also, I got in a bit of a yaoi/shonen-ai/call it what you will craze and became very interested in Palletshipping and Respectshipping. Even though the latter is pretty much a crack ship, I had terrible timing and missed the boat by 4 to 8 years. And I like Comashipping now as well, but even that is starting to fade and going by the dub, DP only ended 5 months ago.

    Even though the ships I like aren't the most current thing, I won't stop liking them for that reason. I'm sure there are some lurking shippers I could find to fangirl with time to time. :p
    I have claimed Respectshipping (Ash x Drew).
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/i4jsxc.jpg[/IMG]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    As Cybs said, when the characters get removed from the series and newbie fans come in, they won't know what the heck that ship is, only old school fans will. I can see a lot of newbie fans shipping Negaishipping/Bestwishshipping/Imaginationshipping {If Bel appears more} Ash/Whatever next girl character gets a crush on him this series {Happens every series folks, don't be shocked about it happing here too} Yaoi wise, CafeMocashipping and maybe Ash/Trip??? Just how it goes.
    Not always, I am also a new fan to the Pokemon anime (I entered in 2009), but I support Pokeshipping, which is apparently the oldest ship in the anime. They might have supported some old ships if they had access to some older episodes and read up the hints of the older ships that are scattered all over the net (Such as Bulbapedia, and so on).

    Quote Originally Posted by Latios. View Post
    But is the fact that the characters haven't been around lately make them non-discussable?
    Yes. IMO, once the characters stop appearing, the shippers would obviously have nearly nothing to discuss, and as the result, the discussion starts to die down.


    Youtube/Ace Combat Skies/FFN (FF.Net)/Bulbagarden Forums (BMGF)/Electrosphere.info/deviantART/MyAnimeList

    It is pretty unfortunate that I can't be active anymore, but I have dropped out of Pokemon and therefore, not very active anymore in this forums

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    elsewhere
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    ...Maybe this is why I have a tendency to support 'ships with minimum canonical basis so I don't have to rely on appearance and interactions to continue discussion...
    Don't get me wrong though, I support Pokeshipping and I used to be one of the biggest Contestshippers (this pairing is the reason I started writing and why I eventually joined the forums).

    The reason I fell out of Contestshipping though was due to the fact that it was discussed into the ground. Every scenario and whatnot had been discussed before, and with the end of the Hoenn saga, there wasn't much new to talk about...

    Yeah, it sucks, but it happens. You don't have to stop supporting your classic, older pairings, but don't be afraid to embrace some of the newer ones. ^^

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,400

    Default

    Then why exactly are all the Ash ships still going? Both Misty and Gary have been gone, excluding cameos, for nearly 9 years. Yet the ships are still talked about. Even the Advanceshipping thread is still going.

    Is it because Ash is the main character? Even though the character he's paired with has been gone for ages?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Honnouji Academy
    Posts
    5,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Then why exactly are all the Ash ships still going? Both Misty and Gary have been gone, excluding cameos, for nearly 9 years. Yet the ships are still talked about. Even the Advanceshipping thread is still going.

    Is it because Ash is the main character? Even though the character he's paired with has been gone for ages?
    Yes, because Ash is the main character. PokéShipping is still going because it's the original pairing. Everyone knows about Ash and Misty.

    Anyway, I think that it's easier for older shippings to continue if both characters involved are no longer in the show. While, if the ship contains, say, Ash, it's not as easy to keep it going, as Ash could be off with some other girl. Damn Iris ruining PearlShipping.

    My favourite shipping, although it mightn't be as popular now, is ContestShipping. It's easy to continue it because May and Drew are no longer present, and so their journeys can be left up to imagination; the basis of shipping, really.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Then why exactly are all the Ash ships still going? Both Misty and Gary have been gone, excluding cameos, for nearly 9 years. Yet the ships are still talked about. Even the Advanceshipping thread is still going.

    Is it because Ash is the main character? Even though the character he's paired with has been gone for ages?
    Ash is the main character, he stays every series so people feel that has a better chance of happing some day at the end, whatever ship it is. Course some aren't as big as they once were due to not being in the show, fans still try to keep it a live with fan art or fanfiction or asking questions in the shippers threads.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

    Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Stalking Dent and Ash
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I do still adore ContestShipping, and while Pallet has since moved over to accommodate CafeMocha, it still holds a place in my heart. :3
    :: pc profile :: blog ::



    "I have no use for people who have learned
    the limits of the possible."
    - Leonard da Quirm

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotel Cortez
    Posts
    58,796

    Default

    Some of the older shippings are still around. I've noticed that PokeShipping has remained intact, despite the fact that Misty no longer appears in the anime. I personally just try and imagine her coming back and her meeting up with Ash, since the anime itself isn't giving us much to work with. That's what I do for several other pairings as well. When you don't have any concrete information, just make it up yourself. I think that's how some of the older pairings have withstood the test of time. The people who ship the characters just try to do their best, even if the circumstances aren't quite as good as they were in the days of yesteryear :]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,319

    Default

    Anyone remember Ash x Angie?

    ...Never mind.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,400

    Default

    While DP ships are getting old, they're not as ancient as ships from Kanto/Johto and AG.

    Anyone remember what Minamoshipping is? Used to be decently popular. Meh.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Hmm, interesting thread...

    I used to be into a lot of Advanced ships, since that was around the time I first got into Pokémon shipping, and it's sad but inevitable, I guess, that people will lose interest in characters that haven't been in the animé for a long time. I tend to like non-canon ships anyway, but it's a shame to see pairings that used to be big, and were arguably canon like Contestshipping just fade away into the background. It's a big thing to go from discussing actual canon events to just "what if they did this" (although the latter is the basis for pretty much all my ships anyway. XD). I think I actually miss reading through the epic Contest/Advanceshipping debate threads most of all. Respectshipping was my OTP for a while but, TBH, Drew feels like...ancient history now. Same's starting to happen with Comashipping, even though I don't keep up with the animé too much. =/

    That said, though, I think as long as the older ships still have supporters, none of them ever really "die". It all depends on what your shipping bag is - some people prefer the ones with more of a chance of actually being canon. Kanto remains my absolute favourite era of Pokémon (games, animé, everything) and I'm sure people feel the same about Johto/AG/DP. It's not like there's a law in only shipping characters for this amount of time, so hopefully there'll still be people interested in those ships even if the canon ain't what it used to be. =3

    Anyone remember Ash x Angie?
    ...who's Angie? XD;; [/totally proving your point]

    Anyone remember what Minamoshipping is?
    May/Kelly, right? I remember~ Didn't follow it too closely but they were pretty cute. May had the best rivals (Drew, Harley, that...girl with the thing) out of anyone in Pokémon ever, Y/N? =P

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,319

    Default

    ^ Angie is a girl Ash met at the Pokemkn Summer Camp in Sinnoh.

    HeatTagshipping? Penguinshipping?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    elsewhere
    Posts
    1,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiscash View Post
    May/Kelly, right? I remember~ Didn't follow it too closely but they were pretty cute. May had the best rivals (Drew, Harley, that...girl with the thing) out of anyone in Pokémon ever, Y/N? =P
    Man, shipping during AG was so much fun... It was Contestshipping that first got me involved in the Internet shipping community, but then I started pairing May with her other rivals and I dunno. It was good times. Everyone just seemed incredibly passionate about the pairings they supported back '05/'06...
    I mean, I'm sure people still are these days as well, but I'm less involved...

    Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    HeatTagshipping? Penguinshipping?
    HeatTagshipping is still my het OTP... And there's a thread for it right now! DP pairings haven't reached the obscurity levels of AG and previous gen ships yet.
    And I remember when I thought Penguinshipping was going to become the new Contestshipping...but everyone gravitated to Ikarishipping instead. Never understood it, but this isn't really the place for that, is it? d:
    Last edited by omniouswind; 23rd May 2011 at 6:30 PM.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity View Post
    Man, shipping during AG was so much fun... It was Contestshipping that first got me involved in the Internet shipping community, but then I started pairing May with her other rivals and I dunno. It was good times. Everyone just seemed incredibly passionate about the pairings they supported back '05/'06...
    I mean, I'm sure people still are these days as well, but I'm less involved...

    HeatTagshipping is still my het OTP... And there's a thread for it right now! DP pairings haven't reached the obscurity levels of AG and previous gen ships yet.
    And I remember when I thought Penguinshipping was going to become the new Contestshipping...but everyone gravitated to Ikarishipping instead. Never understood it, but this isn't really the place for that, is it? d:
    I think the reason shipping was memorable back then was that it was the first time many people entered the online fandom. Back when Kanto/Johto was airing most people were too young and didn't go online. Likewise most people didn't really think about character pairings besides what was implied back in the original series.

    Another thing is back then older characters were still kept alive by the writers. Misty, Tracey and Gary didn't quite fade into obscurity just yet. Once DP started the writers pretty much began phasing out older characters for good, hence why most old characters and AG characters stopped appearing entirely. It'll likely happen to the DP characters too now, unfortunately.

    I guess when a series runs for 14 years like Pokemon does, it's impossible for everyone to keep up with all of it, which is why old fandom's fade and new people come in for the newest saga.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    823

    Default

    I still maintain that AG was just a better season for shippers than most. Obviously the original had undeniable Pokeshipping and I would have liked to see that between Ash and May, but AG had plenty of "moments" - much more than I ever saw in DP (or at least the first quarter of DP before I got bored of watching it).

    I remember when Sinnoh first came Dawn seemed so shippable but it was like the anime was too focused on showcasing long, elaborate gym battles that even the potential for shipping was put on a back-burner.

    I only saw up to Eterna City so I can't comment on later parts of the series, but from what I saw there was never episodes with love as a central plot point like The Bicker The Better where the main characters were sort of teased about it. The DP series to me just felt so clinical, which is why I didn't like it. To me all the characters seemed isolated and there was no sense of camaraderie between the group like there had been before.

    I'm pretty sure the shippiest moments I saw in DP were between Ash and Paul, because Ash was always SO HAPPY to see him.

    EDIT:

    May/Kelly, right? I remember~ Didn't follow it too closely but they were pretty cute. May had the best rivals (Drew, Harley, that...girl with the thing) out of anyone in Pokémon ever, Y/N? =P
    Y

    I always liked Minamoshipping and still find it quite blatant on Kelly's part. Even May's "rival of the day" was exciting and had a whole bunch of personality, not just Drew and Harley. So much so that I often wanted to see them make a return. Am I the only one who thought it would have been cool to see The Phantom in the Grand Festival?
    Last edited by Gazmof; 23rd May 2011 at 10:31 PM.
    Good Love Charm
    *COMPLETE*

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •