Thread: Fan Fiction Fatigue!

Unhappy Fan Fiction Fatigue!

The alliteration in the title was completely intentional.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? There was a time when I could lose myself in the sea of green but now the colour seems revolting and distasteful. I remember reading pages and pages of prose without a flinch and now I struggle to finish a paragraph. I can remember typing a way endlessly and now I stare at a blinking cursor with boredom.

It's not as if I can't think of anything to write, honestly I have ideas coming out my ears. I don't know if it is a case of extreme cynicism or a symptom of "overdoing it" but everything about fan fiction just seems to taxing. It's not as if I'm sick of writing, in fact, it's the opposite. I am really motivated to write original fiction but whenever I try to come back for a taste of fan fiction, I'm left with a foul taste in my mouth. . .

There's plenty of good stuff here to read. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying everything here is terrible, it's just that I'm tired of it.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Did you get through it? Is this the reason people leave without a goodbye, the reason they pick up their pens and disappear? It's a crushing feeling.
    Lol.

There was a time when I could lose myself in the sea of green but now the colour seems revolting and distasteful.
    Use a different style, for the love of God! It puzzles me when people keep complaining about the color scheme here when there is a style switcher.

I'm kind of the opposite right now, actually; I'm reading more fanfiction these days than ever. I've taken bursts of catching up with long chaptered fics before, but they were few and far-between, and in between I'd just be following three or four fics in the totality of the fandom at the most. Now, although I don't have a lot of reading time, I'm reading fanfiction on the bus to and from work almost every day, which is very new for me, but pretty enjoyable (...if only I could catch up instead of being stuck perpetually a chapter or two behind this crazy breed of people called fast writers, argh). I don't expect it'll last in this form, but yeah. I guess I have Fan Fiction Fever instead. :P

Anyway, I haven't experienced what you're feeling personally, but if you're feeling like you're sick of fanfiction, try just taking a break from it - write that original fiction, put the fics you're reading on hold for a bit unless you can genuinely muster the enthusiasm, and let your fics sit for a bit. If fanfiction isn't constantly in your face for a bit, it could be fun and refreshing when you come back to it. And if you never regain your enthusiasm... well, although disappointing your readers is always a shame, you can't really go on writing something you've just lost the will to write.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 4th July 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Yeah, I went through a period where I discovered Subway sandwiches in my second year of university, and I was eating there at least twice a week for maybe six months. After that, I felt sick to my stomach just thinking about Subway, so I didn't eat there at all for just as long. But now I'm back to eating Subway, and it's awesome again.

I'd say it's perfectly normal to become tired of something after awhile. You just become over-saturated, you need to take a break, and there is nothing wrong with that.

A lot of writers will hit a brick wall or feel frustrated with one story they're working on at some point, and will take a break from it and work on something else in the meantime. In fact, that's one of the first suggestions you'll hear when someone gets writer's block - just do something else!

I can't speak for anyone else who's up and left, but I myself definitely go through periods where I read more or less fan fiction. If I'm not motivated to read any, I simply won't. So yes, I'd say your situation is pretty normal, and if you're tired of it, just take a break and focus on doing what you're most motivated to do. :>

~Psychic

Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Yeah, I went through a period where I discovered Subway sandwiches in my second year of university, and I was eating there at least twice a week for maybe six months. After that, I felt sick to my stomach just thinking about Subway, so I didn't eat there at all for just as long. But now I'm back to eating Subway, and it's awesome again.

I'd say it's perfectly normal to become tired of something after awhile. You just become over-saturated, you need to take a break, and there is nothing wrong with that.

A lot of writers will hit a brick wall or feel frustrated with one story they're working on at some point, and will take a break from it and work on something else in the meantime. In fact, that's one of the first suggestions you'll hear when someone gets writer's block - just do something else!

I can't speak for anyone else who's up and left, but I myself definitely go through periods where I read more or less fan fiction. If I'm not motivated to read any, I simply won't. So yes, I'd say your situation is pretty normal, and if you're tired of it, just take a break and focus on doing what you're most motivated to do. :>

~Psychic
    There's a great metaphor in there. Say you got to subway for 2 weeks and every day order the chicken sandwich after a while it's gonna get boring, right? So you switch it up and order ham or meatballs, it's the same with fan-fic. If your having trouble why not think about developing a different character, creating a new one? I've been having similar problems in my own story in terms of giving the characters personalities. Develop a character, before you create an entire plot and simply drop a character in the middle why not write about your character? What do they like, what do they want achieve in life? What sort of person are they and what sort of person do they aspire to be? What's their favorite subway sandwich?

All in all create a character that you like, and that you would want to find more about and see where they get too. Oh and subway makes for terrible metaphors.