Thread: Night of the Golden Witch

Default Night of the Golden Witch

Look!

Can you see them?

The golden lights? The sparkling wings?

Can you hear them?

Can you hear how they cry for you?

Do you feel the weight of their grief?

Can you count the passings of the moon? The lights in the dark?

Those wings beat for you, you know?

They beat like little hearts in the deep. Slowly. Quickly.

Are they getting closer? Or are they fading away?

How many sins do those wings carry?

Can you feel their weight? Do you even notice?

How long will it take for night to fall? For dawn to break?

Can you wait that long?

Can you see them?

The lights in the dark...

-----

~ Night of the Golden Witch ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Letter
    Dearest family,

I know that receiving this letter may come as a shock to many of you after such a long period of silence on my part. Indeed, it almost comes as a shock to me that I find myself in need of putting pen to paper in this manner.

It would be my pleasure to tell you all that things are well to do for me, but that would be a falsehood. My health has taken a turn for the worst as of late. No doubt I have last winter's grueling blizzard to thank for my condition.

Alas, it appears that I am not to overcome this ailment. My old bones have grown too fragile in my isolation, my heart too withered by the chill of this castle. Time runs out for me.

Though I know the request is sudden and out of the blue, I should like to be in the good company of my family as my end comes. Leonhart blood feels strongly for its kind.

No doubt some of you feel slighted by my reclusive nature these past years. I cannot apologize, for my reasons were of significance, though I would like to express my deepest regrets that such measures were needed. Especially so to my children and grandchildren, who I know have missed my company.

Should it be a fitting proposition to you, I would like to extend my invitation for you to journey to my mansion on Cainhurst Isle. Once you have all arrived, we shall discuss the matter of each of your inheritances.

As I'm certain you are all aware of the rumors surrounding my estate, I should like to clarify that everything I own, including the island itself, shall be included in my will. Of course, this includes my fortune as well. But paramount among these is the title of Family Head of the Leonhart family.

A great number of matters are left to discuss though this letter is not the proper time. I should hope to see you all in person on the scheduled day, the fourth of April. Directions to my private pier are included with this letter. Please bring this letter along with you as well for it is your passage ticket to the island.

Please, do not delay.

Sincerely,
    Kieran Leonhart
    This letter arrived for each of you on the 30th of March. It was just barely enough time for each of you to organize the required trip to the northern coast lands of the island nation of Britannia. The date is the 4th of April, 1985.

For anyone in the Leonhart family, life has been what they make of it. The name carries prestige. Power. Respect. It makes them a target for everyone. Some to earn favor. Some to seek blessings or positions of honor. Some to seek a quick path to riches or title. Not many of them with good honest intentions.

But the name is not a curse, it is a birthright. The name of Leonhart opens doors. It clears a path. To easy success or quick ruin, as each family member handles their life the way they will.

And it is all because of the efforts of one man, Kieran Leonhart. Sixty years ago, he wrested the other great families out of power and turned the disaster of the Great Earthquake into a crucible that forged his family's name in gold and steel. Now, that man is on his deathbed, and his family is gathering to pay their respects.

Some are eager to learn the truth behind the rumors of his estate. The tales of the Golden Witch, Beatrice, and Kieran's legendary fortune were enough to make even the richest Leonhart wonder. The mystery behind Cainhurst, the mansion no one had ever seen, drew others to the meeting. And some simply wanted to see Kieran as the man he was, one more time, after a decade of isolation.

Each for their own reasons, the Leonhart families gathered at the pier. It wasn't on any map. Not located near any fishing hamlet. It barely had a road that led to it, a simple gravel and dirt path marked with potholes and overgrown with weeds. It was truly hidden in the lush hills of the countryside.

There, at the pier, waited a simple ferry boat, the steam-driven kind with the turning wheel and the smokestack. The only person anywhere around appeared to be the ferry's driver, a stiff and formal old man with only the faintest Asian accent. He introduces himself as Saizo, and claims to be Kieran's personal butler.

Though many of the other relatives arrive, Saizo is adamant that only those who received a letter addressed to them were to be allowed on board the ferry. The ones turned away even included the spouses of Kieran's own children.

Once everyone was on board, the boat pulled away from the dock and started chugging off towards the horizon where a small dark shape marked their destination, Cainhurst Isle.

As the ferry approached, the island slowly took shape. It was a low sitting island covered in dense trees. Even the mansion itself was hidden from view as they approached. All one could see was the small concrete pier jutting off of the beach, the small path leading into the woods, and the dense wall of trees.

The trip took a few hours, and by the time the ferry arrived at Chainhurst the sun was starting to set. Without wasting any time, the group was hurried off the pier. No sooner had the ferry parked at Cainhurst than dark clouds began to cover the horizon. Before the last of the new arrivals made it onto the path and into the woods, the sky had started to darken and the wind was picking up. In another hour or so, the storm would be upon them.

Despite the size and apparent severity of the storm, it had seemingly come out of nowhere.

The group made it to the end of the path through the woods, and at long last beheld Cainhurst Manor with their own eyes...

---

~ Forest Path (Manor -Pier) ~

- The Leonhart Family -

"That storm looks like a real doozy." Jules said to no one in particular. He was a tall but wiry man. The sort of person who looked like they were constantly scrutinizing every last detail, his gaze was restless and his his brow creased with concern.

"At least we shall all be indoors." Orianna replied. She was not much like her brother. A little on the plump side from living a life of luxury, though the years had been kind to her beauty. What few wrinkles had marked her face were clearly from smiling a little too much.

The two siblings were Kieran's children, and they carried themselves like it. They walked near the back of the group, to better keep an eye on their own children who walked together up ahead where Saizo, Kieran's butler apparently, led them through the woods. Not that any of them needed a guide, the path was easy and there wasn't much incline as it gently curved through the trees.

"Its a shame Lucian couldn't make it." Jules said as he turned to Callum, "he had always wanted to see this place. Oh, he was so spry in his younger days. Much like.. well, yourself I suppose." he chuckled.

"That wife of yours was probably more upset about being left behind." Orianna laughed as she put a hand to the side of her face. It was a classy gesture, common among noble ladies when they laughed. "I knew she was in it for the money from the start." Her tone made it hard to tell how much of what she was saying was a joke.

Jules tried his best to look only moderately offended. "Such nerve, dragging my poor wife into this when your husband looked as if he had been mistaken for a vagrant." He cast a glance at Callum as if to say: no offense was meant by that comment, so you know.

"What do you think Cousin?" Orianna asked Callum. "Who's spouse gave the more pathetic look at being turned down?"

Up ahead, Saizo led the kids through the forest path. He was droning on about the natural beauty of the island, and about how many kinds of trees and plants you could find and how many were edible or used for medicine. It was probably boring most of the young folks.

"And that bush there grows the most dazzling yellow flowers in the late summer. Such a shame that you won't be able to see them on this trip. They have quite the aroma I tell you."

He seemed oblivious to the talking of the children, that is until they rounded the last corner and beheld Cainhurst Manor.

The Manor was huge classical style building. The main part of the manor was built of the finest wood and stonework, dark rich planks polished to a smooth finish with nary a single gap or flaw and river stones set perfectly in pleasing patterns.

Large ornate windows over looked the path, with led right up to the main doors which sat at the top of a small stone stairway. The mahogany doors themselves were quite large and carved in fine craftsmanship. More ornate windows dotted the rest of the flat front of the manor, curtains closed in all of them, but light visible from within as though every light in the house was on.

At either end of the manor stood a castle like section, providing a rounded corner of heavy stone blocks at each end. The rough but sturdy stones contrasted with the elegant design of the manor to give the whole place a strange appeal as though it was a building out of place in time. A large peaked roof rose high above the intricate metal work at the tops of the walls, a single weather vane spinning wildly at the top.

It was part castle and part mansion.

"And here is Cainhurst Manor itself. Commissioned by Kieran in 1953, the manor itself is a timeless style reminiscent of the architecture of the old family estate destroyed by the earthquake back in the 20s." Saizo continued.

"We should make our way inside before the storm arrives." the butler said, a note of worry in his voice.
    Last edited by TheSequelReturns; 21st March 2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: fixing the typo that everyone copy-pasted to my eternal shame :(
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Watch your step! Sig Under Construction!

Bianca Leonhart
    Forest Path (Manor, Pier)

"This is so exciting, isn't it Callaway?" Bianca asked her brother, even though she wasn't expecting an answer from him. In their entire relationship, she was the one that did most of the talking. "A mysterious fortune, a grandfather we've never met, the possibility of magic being at work, it's like something I've read in a novel!" She twirled the lavender parasol she was carrying. She brought it with her everywhere, and even though it technically wasn't raining yet, she brought it out and opened it as soon as the gray clouds became visible. Even if they were likely going to be indoors most of the time, she wasn't going to risk getting one of her good dresses wet.

The butler that was called Sazio was talking, but Bianca wasn't paying attention, and she was sure her sibling and cousins weren't paying attention either. So, she kept on chatting to her half brother, whether he was listening or not. "There's also the possibility that one of us might become head of this family. Could you imagine if it were me?" Bianca covered her mouth with her hand, and laughed out loud at the thought. She couldn't care less if she became head of the family or not. While being a Leonhart certainly opened doors for her, she wasn't sure she could handle all the responsibility that would certainly come with the title. Then again, she wasn't sure her grandfather was handling it well either, considering she was only now meeting him because he was on his deathbed. "Although... if I get it, I could certainly have a use for my own private island. I could bring potential suitors here. It would be so romantic!" She sighed wistfully, then leaned in, and whispered into Callaway's ear. "Or maybe you could bring potential suitors here?" She said teasingly. "You could do whatever you wanted, and no one would ever find you." She hoped no one had heard what she told him. She didn't feel right to go telling everybody she knew he had a preference for other men. He should do that himself. "Of course, this experience would be much more enjoyable, were it not for the weather," She went back to speaking at her normal volume. "But Mother Nature can be fickle sometimes. What can you do?"

The group finally arrived at the mention. Their parents were still behind them. Although Bianca had seen plenty of mansions in her lifetime, including her own home, Cainhurst Manor was still a sight to behold. It was literally part mansion, and part castle. Like something straight out of a Fairy-tale. Bianca gasped in awe at the sight of it. She was tugging on her brother's arm, and had to restrain herself from jumping up and down like a child, and looking foolish in front of the entire family. "Do you see this Callaway? It's even more grand than I imagined!"

"And here is Cainhurst Manor itself. Commissioned by Kieran 1953, the manor itself is a timeless style reminiscent of the architecture of the old family estate destroyed by the earthquake back in the 20s." Saizo continued. "We should make our way inside before the storm arrives."

Bianca nodded. "Yes, we should. I for one wouldn't want to get caught in the rain." Then she took Callaway by the wrist, and quickly started heading for the entrance. As quickly as one wearing heels could go at least. "Come on Cal! Aren't you just brimming with curiosity to see what this manor looks like on the inside? I bet it's just as elegant as the outside!"
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 20th March 2016 at 3:27 AM.

Sybil Leonhart
    Forest Path (Manor - Pier)

Oh, how she wished she'd dressed warmer for this visit...

The storm had seemingly came out of nowhere, with dark clouds beginning to form and the wind beginning to pick up almost as soon as they had stepped off the boat. Sybil was grateful that she had bought a cardigan along with her - even if it were thin and not particularly good at keeping her warm. She was hopeful that they'd reach the manor soon and could escape before the inevitable rain came lashing down upon them.

Sybil found herself huddled amongst some of her relatives as they made their way through the woods. Most of those who surrounded her appeared to be of her own age, or perhaps younger, in the case of her half-sister, Haze, whom Sybil had insisted walk beside her. Three other relatives walked behind this group who all seemed to be quite older than them. Sybil only recognised one of these relatives, the dark haired, Callum. Truthfully, they had never met in person (at least not that she could remember), but she had heard enough about him to be able to correctly identify him out of the three. Whilst the other Leonhart's chattered contently amongst themselves, Sybil was more focused on the words of Sazio, who was talking about the natural beauty of the island, and listing many facts about the local fauna that grew here.

"And that bush there grows the most dazzling yellow flowers in the late summer. Such a shame that you won't be able to see them on this trip. They have quite the aroma I tell you." He said, causing Sybil to glance over at the rather plain looking bush.

"I wish we could've seen them." Sybil mumbled to no-one on particular, as they continued walking. She would've loved to seen the flowers in bloom. The very mention of it reminded her of the gardens at her family's estate, sprawling with flowers of every shape and variety, that when in bloom, created a blotch of colour that seemed out of place in their usually grey surroundings.

Eventually, the group finally arrived at the mansion. Sybil had seen plenty of mansion and stately homes in her twenty-two years, including her own home, but there was something about Cainhurst that truly made it a sight to behold. It was part castle and part mansion...it was magnificent.

"And here is Cainhurst Manor itself. Commissioned by Kieran 1953, the manor itself is a timeless style reminiscent of the architecture of the old family estate destroyed by the earthquake back in the 20s." Sazio continued. "We should make our way inside before the storm arrives."

Sybil nodded her head in agreement, glad that she would soon be out of the cold. Two of her relatives rushed on ahead, the female of the two rather excitedly yelling about wanting to see the inside. Sybil was rather excited about getting to see the inside herself, but even she could not stop herself from chuckling at the girl's enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Minteh; 21st March 2016 at 9:41 PM.

=-------------------~~-------------------=
    Callaway Gilbrand Leonhart
    Forest Path (Manor, Pier)

The trip over to the island where Callaway's grandfather wated was a long one, especially with the constant nagging of his mother, and the curious attempts to make conversation from his sister. Though he loved her very much, he didn't speak much to her on the trip, as he disliked showing off being comfortable around his mother, who also wouldn't shut up about that apparent fortune of her father. Callaway had little to no interest in his grandfather's huge fortune and mysterious attitude, but decided to come along as a gesture of politeness to him as he was sick. "A mysterious fortune, a grandfather we've never met, the possibility of magic being at work, it's like something I've read in a novel!" his sister went on. "Oy, mother. you've certainly done your toll on this one." he replied, not to his sister, but towards his mother whow as walking a few feet in front of them.

"Be quiet Callaway, stop mocking your sister." she simply replied.

"I'm not mocking sister, I am mocking you." Callaway replied coldly, which made Orianna stay quiet. He knew it was mean talking to his mother like that, and he didn't enjoy the coldfront between the two, but it was she who had started it, and Callaway simply grew tired of trying to win her over throughout the years.

"There's also the possibility that one of us might become head of this family. Could you imagine if it were me?" Bianca said, as she covered her mouth with her hand in a surprising manor, and laughed. "Sure, sis. I'm sure you'd be a pretty decent matriarch for our family." Callaway responded, still pretty distant. "Although... if I get it, I could certainly have a use for my own private island. I could bring potential suitors here. It would be so romantic!" she continued. "Because, of course. That is the main reason anyone would pick up such a role in the first place." Callaway replied, and chuckled by the thought of his apparent airhead sister by a pool with tons of hot guys on her own island while the rest of the family more or less died out. he was pulled out of his thoughts as his sister pulled him in closely to whisper. "Or maybe you could bring potential suitors here? "ou could do whatever you wanted, and no one would ever find you." in a suggestive manner. God, he hated that she was the one to figure out his orientation, though it would be better in the long run if it was her instead of his mother. He shrugged by the thought. "Yes, Callaway, when are you going to get a girlfriend?" his mother chimed in, having somehow heard Bianca. Calaway froze in expression as he walked. "When my education is done, mother. and perhaps when I get a permanent residence somewhere, and a well-paid job. So maybe... at 35?" he said. though it was grim, he wished his mother to die before he got romantically involved in something serious.

"Of course, this experience would be much more enjoyable, were it not for the weather," She started saying to distract from the developing gloomy atmoshpere. "But Mother Nature can be fickle sometimes. What can you do?"
    "On the contrary, dear sister. I quite like this rain." Callaway responded as he took a deep breath. He did enjoy stormy weather, allthough this seemed to be a bit too much even after his taste.

after some more walking, they arrived at his grandfathers manor. It looked quite grand, even compared to the vast variety of mansions Callaway had already seen in his lifetime.vThough the huge and gothic architecture was pretty, he personally enjoyed the more modern housings, and not as huge. He noticed his sister being impatient as she held his arm. "Do you see this Callaway? It's even more grand than I imagined!". Poor girl was clouded by mistruths about reality due to all the fairytales mother had read for her. Callaway was somewhat happy she never bothered doing something like that to him. "I do, sister. It looks quite... extravagant, even by our standards."

"And here is Cainhurst Manor itself. Commissioned by Kieran 1953, the manor itself is a timeless style reminiscent of the architecture of the old family estate destroyed by the earthquake back in the 20s." Saizo the butler said. "We should make our way inside before the storm arrives."

"Yes, we should. I for one wouldn't want to get caught in the rain." Bianca said before she took Callaway by the wrist, and yanked him towards the entrance with a surprising force despite her wearing heels. "Come on Cal! Aren't you just brimming with curiosity to see what this manor looks like on the inside? I bet it's just as elegant as the outside!" she bursted with joy.

"No.. Not really, sister. I would much rather find a quiet spot to make up for lost time away from school." he said. He did pack a few books from his corriculum as he was missing out on some important lectures back home. He could sense his sisters distaste though, and gave her a sly grin. "After we explore every inch of this giganormous mansion, that is!". The two then ran off, leaving their mother and cousin behind.
    Last edited by Schade; 20th March 2016 at 1:56 PM.

Callum Leonhart
    ~Spooky~ Path through the woods

So this is where my elusive uncle has been hiding out all these years, Callum thought as the island broke through the fog. It was densely wooded and had an air of mystery about it. Unless you had known, you would have no idea a mansion was hiding somewhere between the trees. Suddenly, Callum found he did care about the inheritance, if only it included the island. What a perfect place to shut yourself off from the world and create works totally your own. The thoughts of isolation made him smile as the boat met the dock.

The sky couldn’t decide its mood, as the sun set to the left and dark clouds were forming on the right. The wind whipped around him as everyone was clearing off of the ferry. With him had come some other Leonharts, a few of which he had not met before. His two cousins were with them though, Jules and Orianna. They were familiar faces. He had met their kids once or twice since he had been back in the country, but didn’t know too much about them. He assumed that would change after their time on the island.

As Saizo the butler lead the group through the woods, Callum hung back with his two cousins. Callum took out a cigarette and his lighter, but the wind made it impossible to keep a flame. He cursed in spanish under his breath and and shoved the box back into his coat pocket. Beside him, his cousins were making small talk about the storm. Callum loved storms, and this one felt like it would be a good one.

"It’s a shame Lucian couldn't make it." Jules said as he turned to Callum, "he had always wanted to see this place. Oh, he was so spry in his younger days. Much like.. well, yourself I suppose." he chuckled.

“We must know two very different men if you think we are anything alike,” Callum responded. The words were harsh but said without callousness. Callum was not sure of his cousin’s intentions comparing his father to himself. It was common knowledge in the family that they did not get along. He couldn’t imagine Lucian being ‘spry’ when he was younger. Besides, Jules was not much older than himself. Where he got this insider information about his father was a mystery.

However, it was very entertaining to Callum that he was the one in his family that got the invitation. He was unsure why he was chosen and not either of his parents or even his siblings. Surely any of them would be better heads of the family than he would. His father must of been shocked by the news.

“I’m sure my father was very disappointed when he was not extended an invitation,” Callum continued. “For being so united it is strange he was excluded. What I wouldn’t give to have been able to see his face when he learned I was the one going.” Callum chuckled at the thought.

While Callum reflected on how disappointed his father must be, Jules and Orianna discussed their spouses and how disappointed they had been. Jules even went so far as to call Orianna’s husband a vagrant. He gave Callum an apologetic look, not meaning the jab to be interpreted as a slight against him. Callum hardly seemed phased.

"What do you think, Cousin?" Orianna asked Callum. "Whose spouse gave the more pathetic look at being turned down?"

Oh, bother, he thought, not wanting to get involved in their sibling squabble.

“No onene more pathetic than me when I heard the news,” he responded, skirting the question. “I've always enjoyed your vagrant husband, Orianna. I was hoping he would be coming along.” He was exaggerating, of course, but he did like Orianna’s husband. Italians are very colorful people, something Callum appreciated. Her husband was good company.

They chatted some more about this and that as they walked along the path through the woods. It didn’t take long before the mansion appeared before them. Callum was immediately drawn to the building, noting the contrast of architectural styles. Part elegant and polished mansion, part rough and sturdy castle. Much like many of his art pieces turned out, the styles clashed but in a way that made the structure that much more beautiful. He couldn’t help but take in all the intricate details of the stone work and polished wood. It was amazing.

He could have spent hours outside just studying the craftsmanship of the mansion, but Saizo ushered them inside quickly so as to avoid the storm. Callum lingered outside for a moment longer, then passed through the impressive wooden doors into Kieran’s hideaway. Callum was excited to meet Kieran again after so many years. He had a few questions for his cryptic and secretive uncle.
    Last edited by Shampoo Thief; 21st March 2016 at 1:36 PM.

Haze Leonhart
    Forest Path ( Manor - Pier )

“Remind me… Why am I here again?” Haze murmured under her breath, taking care to say it quietly enough that her older half-sister, Sybil, couldn’t hear. She had introduced herself to her while on the boat, and after learning of her parentage, Sybil had insisted she stay by her. Haze didn’t relish being lead around by anyone, eve if it was her older half-sister, but she knew that telling Sybil to leave her alone despite her having good intentions would probably not be the best thing to do. It didn’t stop her from complaining, though (out of earshot, of course). The strong winds made her long (unzipped) jacket flap like a cape, and her scarf was also flopping around behind her like some fish out of the water. Haze liked the wind - it didn’t chill in the same way the winds of Iceland chilled, and was pleasantly cool on her face.

Being on such a legendary place was certainly new to her, to say the least. It looked a world detached from the world she knew. Even though it wasn’t all that remarkable - it was really just an island with a huge house built on it, Haze still felt somewhat awed to be at the place that the leader of the Leonhart household had resided for all these years. As she scanned her surroundings, the butler (who’s name was Saizo) that was essentially their tour guide was rambling on about some sort of plant.

”And that bush there grows the most dazzling yellow flowers in the late summer. Such a shame that you won't be able to see them on this trip. They have quite the aroma I tell you." he was saying, directing their attention to a bush that was quite normal-looking. She heard Sybil mumble something about wishing to have seen them, gave a small nod of agreement, then turned her attention back to walking.

They arrived at the mansion some time later. A stranger to such extravagance, Haze stopped dead in her tracks, examining the structure, which could only be described as absolutely massive. Built using wood and stones, it somehow gave off the impression of being an ancient castle whilst still looking strangely modern. The windows were large and ornate, the frames around them carved with all sorts of designs that, while invisible from where they were stood, were no doubt made with a master’s craftsmanship. The path they stood on lead to a huge door that presumably opened into some sort of hall and definitely gave off an intimidating air. The lights inside the house all seemed to be on, something that Haze found somewhat peculiar, but did not comment on. There surely was a reason for it.

"And here is Cainhurst Manor itself. Commissioned by Kieran 1953, the manor itself is a timeless style reminiscent of the architecture of the old family estate destroyed by the earthquake back in the 20s." Saizo continued, gesturing to the house with a mixture of pride and reverence. Haze could relate - a structure this grand deserved all the attention, praise, and reverence it got. The butler added something about making it inside before the storm hit, and they all sped up their pace. Haze contained her excitement well, but the girl walking just in front of her didn’t, and was jumping up and down. Haze heard Sybil give a small chuckle at the girl’s enthusiasm, and smiled as well.

She once had that type of enthusiasm. It was something she quite missed.

Alena Leonhart
    Forest Path (Manor - Pier)

"Damn, Mira…what did I tell you about those high heels?" Alena scolded good-naturedly as she tugged on her black leather jacket, a chilly wind whipping her long, silvery hair across her face. She then turned around, held out a hand for her fancily-dressed younger sister and helped her off the boat. Already, her cousins Callaway and Bianca had gone on ahead, and she didn't want to miss out on all the fun and excitement in exploring a place that, up until the day she received the letter, only seemed like a Leonhart family myth. "Cisrian not being here, and there being no hospitals aren't legit excuses, man."

"Ally, may I remind you that there is nothing wrong in looking formal and presentable. It would do you better to be more like your sister sometimes," her father, Jules, chided from behind her. The violet-eyed girl looked back at her father, immaculately dressed as usual. Like Mira, unlike herself. She still did not understand why her father had to place so much importance on bearing and formality, even in what was going to be the middle of a damned forest. Bringing along fancy things was one thing, but wearing them all the time was something else altogether. She had brought a nice dress of her own after all, thanks to Mira badgering her about needing to take at least one along.

"And who would you blame if she gets hurt, pops? Surely not her?" Alena smiled ruefully, pushing her fair, windblown hair away from her face. It was no secret that her father outwardly favored her younger sister, and she understood why. Mira knew how to put on appearances after all, and made the effort to keep the family's reputation intact, her less-than-respectable tendencies notwithstanding. Alena on the other hand, was a different sort who didn't care for ladylike pretenses. "Besides, be sensible. Wearing heels at Cainhurst, and wearing heels while trekking aren't the same damn thing. I sure as hell don't think you want to see expensive heels getting broken either," she snorted in a most unladylike manner.

"Language, daughter," the older man sighed, wondering whether it was a wise battle to fight. In the end, he kept his mouth shut. Alena's expression softened as they reached the edge of the woods.

"Don't you worry alright, pops? It ain't going to happen, and if it does, you wouldn't have to worry about Uncle Cisrian," she assured, knowing all too well that their feelings of distrust towards the Transylvanian nurse was mutual. Sometimes, Alena wished that her father would stop being so closed-minded and old-fashioned for once, and take her as the girl she was. Then again, she was already lucky. He had fought to have her legitimized, he had searched for her for four years, and he never once thought of disowning her. For Alena, all of that was enough for her to know that he loved her more than he showed. She urged Mira to stay close as they walked among the dark trees on the surprisingly smooth path, smooth enough for anyone to walk with little difficulty, that cut through the forest. You're in luck, little sister, she thought. Saizo, the butler, was leading the way, explaining the local flora.

"Maybe gramps isn't as stodgy and stuffy as we think. I mean, he could've withheld a fucking letter from me. Then again, what are the chances that I'll be chosen anyway?" She suggested. Frankly, she didn't care whether or not she was chosen. The chances were very slim to begin with, after all, and she was admittedly more into the excitement and adventure that came with a place that was shrouded in mystery for all the nearly twenty-four years of her life. If there was one way she wanted to live her life, she wanted to do it on her own terms. It wasn't responsibility that she had a problem with - she was a grown woman after all. Rather, it was expectations and pressure. If, by some miracle, she was chosen, she wasn't sure if she was willing to give up her love for mechanical work, or put on the dignified mask that was expected from a Leonhart. But on the other hand, didn't being head of the family theoretically mean that she could have all the say she wanted when it came to living her own life? Two faces of a coin, yet more similar than most thought.

"Well you know what, fuck it. Cainhurst's a big ol' mansion in the middle of nowhere, might as well enjoy it. Go exploring, look for secret passageways, get in trouble, find some lonely staff...you get it," she continued, squeezing Mira's shoulder at her last phrase, and winking almost conspirationally. She didn't know how much excitement was to be had in the estate, but she wasn't about to let its inevitably noble air cow her in any way. The path made a sharp bend, and at the end of it, stood a stately manor that looked half mansion and half Gothic castle.

"And here is Cainhurst Manor itself. Commissioned by Kieran 1953, the manor itself is a timeless style reminiscent of the architecture of the old family estate destroyed by the earthquake back in the 20s." Saizo continued, motioning to the enormous building, which put even their family mansion to shame. "We should make our way inside before the storm arrives." At this point, Alena and Mira had caught up with their other cousins. There was Bianca and Cal, as well as two other distant ones whose names she knew, yet whose faces were only faintly familiar to her.

"Come on Cal! Aren't you just brimming with curiosity to see what this manor looks like on the inside? I bet it's just as elegant as the outside!" Bianca exclaimed, before quickly heading for the entrance…which was not all that quick, considering she was wearing heels, and Alena herself was a much better runner.

"No…not really, sister. I would much rather find a quiet spot to make up for lost time away from school." Cal replied, before going back on that statement. "After we explore every inch of this giganormous mansion, that is!". He ran off after her, clearly letting loose. Taking up on the challenge, she raced after them, easily catching up thanks to being on the track team as a teenager. She stood in front of them and held out both her arms, her lips giving way into a smirk.

"Hey, B. Hey, Cal," she greeted in her usual casual manner before laughing roughly, her hair whipping around her in the rising wind. "Hehehe, I got first dibs on exploring, punks. No Ally, no fun." As she spoke, the first drops of rain began to fall.
    Last edited by *Jean Grey*; 24th March 2016 at 6:56 AM.

~ Signature under Construction ~

| Lucian and Grimsley are mine. Touch and I will cut you. | That also applies to Houndoom. | Clock: Equal-To-Heaven |

~ Cainhurst Manor - Approach ~

“We must know two very different men if you think we are anything alike.” Callum responded to Jules' statement about his father. Lucian seemed to be a touchy subject.

"Oh dear, I didn't mean any offense cousin." Jules said, adjusting his yellow cravat nervously. "With all the stories I've heard ab-"

"You of all people should know everything isn't always how it sounds in the stories." Orianna scolded her brother with a laugh.

The group continued onward until they came up towards the mansion itself. Most of the group was trying to take in the sight of the manor when Bianca and Callaway tore off ahead of even Saizo himself. Alena followed close behind, shouting after her cousins. Her face as red as a rose, Orianna mumbled something about "acting their age" and ran off after the three young adults. "Bianca! Callaway! You should know better than to go barging into people's homes!" she shouted at them.

Jules would probably be laughing at the sight if his own daughter wasn't running up there with them. He put his hand to his brow and sighed. What was he going to do with that girl? She reminded him so much of her mother with her wild spirit, but it wasn't always a good thing. "At least I have one daughter who remembers how to act like an adult." Jules sighed as he placed a hand gently on Mira's shoulder. He never missed an opportunity to praise her.

The group made it halfway across the grounds before the rain drops started to fall. Saizo, having hurried ahead after the young people, hastily opened the huge doors and let the family inside. By the time everyone made it into the safety of the manor, the rain was starting to fall in sheets and the wind was howling in the distance. The heavy wooden door slammed shut, locking out the wet winds of the storm and muffling the sound of the tempest.

~ Cainhurst Manor - Grand Foyer (1st Floor) ~

The Grand Foyer of Cainhurst manor certainly lived up to its name. As the first room anyone would see of the house and its main entrance, no expense had been spared.

The expansive space was open up to the second floor, where a balcony with exquisitely crafted railing overlooked the entryway. The walls were natural wood paneling, but were lacquered and polished to a glorious finish. The furniture was all real mahogany and cherry wood, and each and every piece from the side tables to the lamp stands to the large chests and cabinets was a unique handmade item. Luxurious rugs, obviously imported from some far off country, covered the floor in visually appealing places leaving the golden brown marble tile to shine in the light of the enormous chandelier that hung from the ceiling high above the room.

But taking focus above everything else in the room, which was saying something, was the twelve foot tall portrait that hung on the wall beneath the balcony. Hanging directly opposite the main doors, the painting was a portrait of a woman, her beauty made larger than life by the detail and scale of the painting.

The woman's hair was a rich blond like spun gold. She wore a dress of deep purple, a red so dark it was almost black, and golden accents. She wore no jewelry. Her ethereal beauty seemed at odds with the very idea that she would need adornment. Skin like smooth porcelain made her face stand out against the dark background. Her curves were gentle but there, and her dress was so modest that even her hands and neck were covered. Her blue eyes seemed alive, and her gaze was unfocused enough so that no matter where you were, she seemed to be looking right at you. The name plate of the painting said simply "Beatrice", though no one knew who she was or why such a painting even existed.

Standing on either side of the painting, like guards on duty, were a butler and a maid. They were both much younger than Saizo, but still carried themselves with poise and dignity.

The butler was a young man with a strong jaw and broad shoulders. A mop of unruly brown hair rested on his head. It was at odds with the rest of his prim and proper appearance, and the spotless black and white tuxedo he wore.

Standing opposite him, the maid stood with her hands clasped in front of her. Her hair was black as night and lay long and straight down her back like a curtain. Her maid outfit was marked with small spots and stains seemingly from soot, but was otherwise tidy and straight. Both of them bowed deeply when the family entered.

"Please, allow me to introduce you to some of our finest caretakers here at Cainhurst Manor." Saizo gestured towards the pair. "The young man here is Gregory. He is our valet here responsible for the odd jobs required by such a large house, such as moving furniture or organizing supplies."

Gregory gave a well practiced flourish with his hand and gave a shorter, more stylish bow. "Well met." he said winking one of his green eyes at Bianca and Alena. Jules stiffened ever so slightly.

"And this young lady is Lucy." Saizo gestured towards the dark-eyed maid. "She is our head maid here in charge of the cleaning operations of the house. She also serves double duty as our kitchen manager. Fine work she does."

Lucy smiled and gave a nod of her head, eyes closed. "It is my pleasure to serve." Her voice was as smooth as silk.

"Do not hesitate to call on either of them, or any of our other staff, should you desire anything." Saizo said.

Calmly, he led the group to the door on the right side of the room which opened into an anteroom. Though much less lavish than the foyer, it was still large enough to comfortably seat the entire group. It had enough chairs for the job too. A large banner dominated the back wall of the room, a golden tapestry emblazoned with the Leonhart family crest, the One-Winged Lion. Sweet aromas lifted up from the plates of pastries and tea, so freshly made they were still steaming, scattered around the room.

Gregory and Lucy didn't follow them in.

"I'm afraid that the amenities may not be what you all are accustomed to. This manor is quite old and the Master has never seen fit to modernize it. We have the basics. Electricity, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and the like. But no televisions or radios are present here and the only phone line is in the Master's room." Saizo took a moment to straighten a few of the white roses in a flower vase by the door. "Please wait here for a moment." Saizo said. "I shall go and inform Master Kieran that you all have safely arrived." And with that, he left the group alone in the anteroom.
    Last edited by TheSequelReturns; 22nd March 2016 at 4:30 AM.

Bianca Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor

"No…not really, sister. I would much rather find a quiet spot to make up for lost time away from school." Callaway replied. Bianca was about to reply to that statement with a comment that he spent too much time with his nose in books, before going back on that statement. "After we explore every inch of this giganormous mansion, that is!". To Bianca's relief, he then ran off with her.

Her choice of footwear clearly impeded her ability to get the entrance quick enough. Her cousin Alena had made it first, and stood in front of them with her arms out wide. "Hey, B. Hey, Cal," she greeted in her usual casual manner before laughing roughly, her dyed white hair whipping around her in the rising wind. It reminded Bianca that she now stood out amongst the rest of her cousins and sibling for not having white hair, and inheriting her hair color from her father. "Hehehe, I got first dibs on exploring, punks. No Ally, no fun." As she spoke, the first drops of rain began to fall.

Bianca just giggled. "It's a large manor, dear. There's plenty of room for all of us."

Before any of them could do anything though, she heard the familiar voice of her mother shouting at them. "Bianca! Callaway! You should know better than to go barging into people's homes!"

Bianca frowned, and let out a sigh. She was eager to explore this place, and here she was being scolded for barging in. They hadn't even gone in to the manor yet, they hadn't barged in. And could it really be considered barging in when they were invited here in the first place? She was pretty sure their grandfather knew they were coming. While she liked the benefits that came with being of noble birth, she sometimes found the standards of behavior a bit tiresome to maintain. She didn't dare protest there though, and quietly said "My apologies mother..." Before Sazio hurried everyone inside just in time before the weather got worse.

---

As soon as they were inside, Bianca closed her parasol. When she set her eyes on the grand foyer, she could see that it really was grand and richly decorated. No expense had been spared to make this room live up to it's name. But the standout of the entire room was a painting of a woman with the title Beatrice written on the nameplate. Bianca was familiar with the legends surrounding her father. About how he supposedly made a deal with a witch to obtain the gold to bring the Leonhart family from ruin. It was unclear if the witch was named Beatrice after this painting, or the other way around, and she didn't spend too much time thinking about it either. There was something far more interesting that got her attention, or rather someone.

Standing on either side of the painting, there was a butler and a maid. They appeared to be close to Bianca in age, but still carried themselves with class. It was the male that had gotten Bianca's attention. He was handsome, and that suit he wore appeared perfectly tailored to him. A mop of unruly brown hair rested on his head. It contrasted with the perfectly polished black and white tuxedo he wore, but Bianca rather liked the contrast. It reminded her of how Alistair kept his hair. He never could be bothered to comb it, even when he dressed up. Bianca sighed at thoght of him, she missed him greatly. Being a commoner, he wasn't caught up with all the maxims of high society, but she found that rather refreshing. It was nice having a man she could actually be herself around. Though, she knew now was not the time to be pining over lost love. Not when there was new love to be found.

"The young man here is Gregory. He is our valet here responsible for the odd jobs required by such a large house, such as moving furniture or organizing supplies."

Gregory gave a well practiced flourish with his hand and gave a shorter, more stylish bow. "Well met." he said winking one of his green eyes, and Bianca was certain it was directed at her.

Bianca smiled, and giggled at the gesture, then gave a glance at her mother. As if to ask for permission. She didn't bother paying attention to the maid's name. It was the handsome young butler that had her attention. "Well, he seems to be a dashing young man, wouldn't you say?" She whispered into Callaway's ear.

"Do not hesitate to call on either of them, or any of our other staff, should you desire anything." Saizo said.

"Oh, I won't hesitate. Don't you worry." Bianca said suggestively. She winked at Gregory, before following Sazio and the rest of the family into the next room. Much to her disappointment, Gregory did not follow them in.

Sazio led the group to the door on the right side of the room. Though much less lavish than the foyer, but it was large enough to comfortably seat the entire group. The focal point of this area was a golden tapestry emblazoned with the Leonhart family crest, the One-Winged Lion. The aromas of pastries and tea also filled the air

"I'm afraid that the amenities may not be what you all are accustomed to. This manor is quite old and the Master has never seen fit to modernize it. We have the basics. Electricity, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and the like. But no televisions or radios are present here and the only phone line is in the Master's room." After taking a moment to straighten up the flowers, he went off to fetch her grandfather, leaving the rest of the family alone.

"Grandfather really was a recluse..." Bianca commented to no one in particular once Sazio had left. "No television or radios? Surely he must get newspapers delivered here or something. I couldn't imagine life being completely cut off from the rest of the world." She then strode over to where her mother was standing. While she liked to talk to Callaway about guys, since being male himself he understood how men functioned better than another woman could. However, she actually could talk to her mother about guys publicly. That was not something a lot of girls had. "So mother, I know now is probably not the time to be discussing this, considering the situation, but... that Gregory seems like such a charming fellow, wouldn't you agree?"

Haze Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor.

Haze entered the manor last, not as bothered with the rain as the others were. She nodded to thank Saizo, and made her way inside, water dripping off her jacket, which had been zipped up when the storm had began. It was waterproof, so her clothes didn’t get wet, but the same could not be said for her scarf and hair, which were drenched. She took off her scarf and draped it around her shoulder, giving her head a small shake to see if any water still remained.

The door slammed closed behind her, instantly muffling the noise of the howling storm outside. The wooden door was huge, and probably extremely heavy. From where she was stood, these door seemed almost like a wall, closing them in and trapping them inside this manor. They were so large that Haze doubted she would be able to open them, especially with the wind blowing in their direction. This thought, which came out of nowhere, disconcerted her. She brushed it aside - it wasn’t like Kieran was trying to kill them - but it still remained at the back of her mind, making her feel uneasy.

The foyer they were stood in was just like the outside of the manor - huge, extravagant, and ornate. Haze examined the room, taking in all of the splendour that wealth provided. While she was not one for large expenses, she could appreciate the beauty of a manor which was obviously built with the cost of building it being irrelevant. The room was lit with a chandelier that hung from the ceiling, casting rays of light all over the wooden walls.

That was when her gaze fell upon a painting of a woman, hung under the balcony that overlooked the foyer. Had she entered the room facing forwards, it would have been the first thing she saw. Fortunately for her, she had been looking the other way when she stepped into the hall, and had seen all of the wonderfully extravagant furniture and building materials before seeing the painting. It towered over everything else in the room, and made Haze feel extremely small.

The painting was of a woman. An extremely beautiful woman, dressed in clothes that were surprisingly nondescript for one that obviously was very favoured by the head of the Leonhart household, yet somehow only accentuated her beauty. It was as if the subject of the painting - a woman named Beatrice, judging by the plate underneath it - was looking at you, saying ‘I don’t need jewellery to look better than you do”.

But the thing that most startled Haze was the eyes of the woman. They seemed to follow you around, giving the impression that every single move you make in this room was seen by her, that you could hide nothing from her all-seeing gaze. Haze shuddered slightly under her jacket, and looked away from the painting. Even now, her eyes fixated on a particularly interesting chair, she could feel the gaze of the woman burning into her.

Unfortunately, she had to look back in that direction again when Saizo introduced the two people stood beside the painting. They almost seemed to be like guards, protecting something of utmost importance. Saizo introduced the butler as Gregory, and the maid as Lucy. Haze examined them both, more to keep her eyes away from the painting of the woman than to see what they looked like.

The butler, Gregory, wore an immaculate tuxedo, which had clearly been cleaned up for the occasion (the fact that the uniforms might always be spotless did not cross her mind). Had one not looked at his face, they would have thought him an extremely prim and proper person. Fortunately or not, his hair was an unruly mop of brown that looked like a hastily made bird’s nest, and somewhat mischievous-looking green eyes. He appeared to wink at the enthusiastic girl from earlier and an altogether more serious and not-prim-and-proper looking woman, who was standing next to her, when he was introduced. The maid’s outfit was altogether less clean, with marks on it that appeared to be soot. Her hair was long, straight, and black, very much like the hair of Haze’s mother. Saizo told the people gathered in the room to ask any of the servants if there was anything they needed, before ushering them into an antechamber. Haze noticed that the enthusiastic girl from earlier had returned the butler’s wink.

The chamber was not quite as extravagant as the room they had just left, but it was still quite luxurious. The room was large enough and had enough furnitures to allow the entire group to sit, and a large banner with a one-winged lion, which Haze correctly guessed was the Leonhart family crest, hung on the back wall.

"I'm afraid that the amenities may not be what you all are accustomed to. This manor is quite old and the Master has never seen fit to modernize it. We have the basics. Electricity, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and the like. But no televisions or radios are present here and the only phone line is in the Master's room." Saizo said, taking a moment to straighten a few of the white roses in a flower vase by the door. "Please wait here for a moment." the butler continued, turning towards the door. "I shall go and inform Master Kieran that you all have safely arrived."

"Grandfather really was a recluse... No television or radios? Surely he must get newspapers delivered here or something. I couldn't imagine life being completely cut off from the rest of the world." The enthusiastic girl from earlier had spoken up the instant Saizo left the room, addressing nobody in particular. She then turned to her mother and began talking about something else entirely. ”So mother, I know now is probably not the time to be discussing this, considering the situation, but... that Gregory seems like such a charming fellow, wouldn't you agree?"

Haze rolled her eyes on impulse, then immediately hoped nobody saw her reaction. Now was certainly not the right time to comment on the attractiveness of men, and while the butler was certainly attractive in the conventional sense, Haze was not one to be easily impressed by appearances. Unfortunately, she knew all too well that some people were just impulsive flirts, having lived with one for years. If that was how that girl likes to act, she was in no position to criticise her. Besides, it would probably be better to remain inconspicuous for now. She didn’t know any of these people, and wanted to keep it that way, at least until she was more familiar with them.
    Last edited by Vern; 25th March 2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos.

Cainhurst Manor

Despite their best efforts, (and mostly due to Bianca's choice in footwear), they were beaten by their cousin, Alena. "Hey, B. Hey, Cal," she greeted as she came over to them. She dressed in casual more or less all the time, as if to protest the formal norms in attire the rest of the family mostly followed. She had also dyed her hair in the same color as Cal's hair was naturally, something he never really understood. Though, she was his favorite cousin, as she wasn't so uptight as the others, and they sometimes talked behind the others backs. "Hehehe, I got first dibs on exploring, punks. No Ally, no fun." she said, to which Cal laughed, the sound of which was drowned by thunder outside as it started to rain. "It's a large manor, dear. There's plenty of room for all of us." Bianca said.

"Bianca! Callaway! You should know better than to go barging into people's homes!" the annoying voice of their mother said from somewhere behind them. Bianca looked visibly displeased, as she managed to whimper out. "My apologies mother...". This annoyed Cal, as he thought of a clever answer for his mother. "It doesn't count when we've been formally invited, mother. Don't you watch vampire movies?". He knew well that she didn't, but he felt angry looking at how she made his sister feel. After this though, Saizo hurried everyone into the mansion, closing the doors behind them.

The insides of the mansion was even more dramatic than the beautiful exterior, though it wasn't a style Cal was inexperienced with. The only really creepy aspect he found uncomfortable, was one of the huge portraits hanging on the walls, of the supposed "Witch", Beatrice. In front of it stood some of his grandfathers staff; A young butler and maid waited for them. They both bowed as the family entered. "Please, allow me to introduce you to some of our finest caretakers here at Cainhurst Manor.", Saizo introduced, gesturing towards them. "The young man here is Gregory. He is our valet here responsible for the odd jobs required by such a large house, such as moving furniture or organizing supplies." he said. "Well met.", Gregory said as he bowed even more gracefully, and gave a wink to Bianca and Alena. Callaway couldn't avoid thinking he looked cute, with his curly brown hair, professional look and broad shoulders. "Well, he seems to be a dashing young man, wouldn't you say?" Bianca whispered to him. "Yes, quite indeed." Cal sighed in return

"And this young lady is Lucy. She is our head maid here in charge of the cleaning operations of the house. She also serves double duty as our kitchen manager. Fine work she does.", Saizo said as he introduced the maid, which in turn bowed with equal grace before speaking. "It is my pleasure to serve.". Her voice was smooth, and she sounded quite nice. "Do not hesitate to call on either of them, or any of our other staff, should you desire anything." Saizo said.

The group were then led into an anteroom, which had enough seats for them all, as well as some snacks, freshly made, by the smell in the room. "I'm afraid that the amenities may not be what you all are accustomed to. This manor is quite old and the Master has never seen fit to modernize it. We have the basics. Electricity, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and the like. But no televisions or radios are present here and the only phone line is in the Master's room." Saizo instructed. "Please wait here for a moment." Saizo said. "I shall go and inform Master Kieran that you all have safely arrived." he then said before leaving.

"No television or radios? Surely he must get newspapers delivered here or something. I couldn't imagine life being completely cut off from the rest of the world." Bianca said, breaking the ice. "Well, that's why they invented books, deary." Cal answered her. She then walked over to where him and their mother were standing. "So mother, I know now is probably not the time to be discussing this, considering the situation, but... that Gregory seems like such a charming fellow, wouldn't you agree?". she asked their mother. "Yes, mother. Tell us what you think." he continued in a slightly complaining tone, before scoffing to himself as he walked away to find a seat. Though he did want to find Alena and catch up since it had been quite some time since they last saw each other, it would be best for him to use the time productively, considering what he's missing out on back in school. Good thing he brought is books. He sat down in one of the chair and picked up a book from his shoulderbag.
    Last edited by Schade; 22nd March 2016 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Bug zappers, only the bugs are deers instead

Sybil Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor

Whilst some of her relatives rushed inside, Sybil was slower, and only truly entered when the rain started to fall. She gave a brief nod of thanks to Saizo, and then walked inside, water beginning to seep through her clothes. Once everyone was inside, the wooden door slammed shut behind them, almost instantly muffling the sound of the roaring storm outside.

The foyer they were currently stood in was much like the exterior of the manor - exquisite. Sybil had expected a certain kind of opulence, the Leonhart's were the richest family in Britannia after all, but this was beyond anything she could have imagined. Sybil eyed the room in awe, taking in the splendour of the place, and admiring the ornate styling of the room. Sybil had never been one for such expenses, but even she could admire the beauty and grandeur of the room.

Perhaps the most prominent piece in the room was the painting that hung below the exposed balcony. The painting itself was at least twelve feet tall, and practically dominated the wall opposite the doors; it was hard not to focus on it. The painting was of a woman - Beatrice, if the plaque below it was to be believed - whose beauty was made larger than life by the sheer scale and detail of the image. This was the supposed witch associated with their family. The woman was strikingly beautiful, with soft porcelain skin and hair like spun gold. She dressed in a gown of rich purple and red, accented with gold. And yet, despite such regal colours, the woman was dressed surprisingly modestly. She wore no jewels, but Sybil was sure she wouldn't have needed them. The most striking part of the portrait had to be the eyes. Her blue eyes seemed alive, and it seemed that no matter where you moved, her eyes followed. Whilst it was certainly interesting, it was also quite eerie.

Standing on either side of the painting, whom Sybil had not noticed at first, were a butler and maid. They appeared to be of a similar age with Sybil, but still carried themselves with the utmost class. The butler, was dressed in a fine tuxedo, but his unruly mop of brown seemed out of place when coupled with his uniform. The woman looked more appropriately dressed, even if her maid outfit was covered in spots of dirt here and there.

"The young man here is Gregory. He is our valet here responsible for the odd jobs required by such a large house, such as moving furniture or organizing supplies." Saizo stated, gesturing towards the man. The butler - who Sybil now knew as Gregory - gave a well practiced flourish with his hand, and then gave a short bow before winking at the two girls in front of him. Sybil noticed that the enthusiastic girl from earlier returned his wink.

"And this young lady is Lucy. She is our head maid here in charge of the cleaning operations of the house. She also serves double duty as our kitchen manager. Fine work she does.", Saizo said introducing the maid, who in turn took a bow.

"It is my pleasure to serve." She spoke with a voice that was like honey to Sybil's ears.

Once they had properly been introduced, Saizo lead them to a door on the right side of the room, which in turn opened up into an anteroom. Though much less lavish than the previous room, it was still quite extravagant. The room was large enough and had enough furniture for the group to sit down and be comfortable. A large banner, with the one-winged lion crest of the Leonhart's, hung on the back wall.

"I'm afraid that the amenities may not be what you all are accustomed to. This manor is quite old and the Master has never seen fit to modernize it. We have the basics. Electricity, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and the like. But no televisions or radios are present here and the only phone line is in the Master's room." Saizo instructed. "Please wait here for a moment." Saizo paused. "I shall go and inform Master Kieran that you all have safely arrived." he finished before leaving.

"No television or radios? Surely he must get newspapers delivered here or something. I couldn't imagine life being completely cut off from the rest of the world." The enthusiastic girl said, breaking the ice. The man who had accompanied her, who Sybil presumed was her brother judging by their similar appearances, was quick to point out that was what books were for. Sybil smirked at his remark, finding herself agreeing with his statement. And when she saw him settle down on one of the seats with a book, she almost wish she'd bought more than two herself. She was first to the table of tea and pastries that had been laid out for the group, and whilst she did not take a pastry, she took two cups of tea, one for herself and one for her sister. "Here you go," Sybil said, after walking up to her sister, and offering out one of the cups. "You can put it back if you don't want it...but I thought you might like one." She smiled softly, hoping to shift some of the awkwardness between them.
    Last edited by Minteh; 29th March 2016 at 9:02 PM.

~ Orianna Leonhart ~
    - Cainhurst Manor - 1st Floor Anteroom -

"So mother, I know now is probably not the time to be discussing this, considering the situation, but... that Gregory seems like such a charming fellow, wouldn't you agree?" Bianca asked. She had that little mischievous spark in her eyes, that gleam of excitement that Orianna knew all too well from her youth. Her daughter had a little crush. Bianca didn't think that little glance she cast her way after Gregory's cute wink had gone unnoticed did she?

"Yes, mother. Tell us what you think." Callaway added. That scruffy tone of his couldn't have been any different from her daughter's. He was angry at her. Probably for scolding him when they were outside. She couldn't help it, she was his mother. It was her job to make sure they knew how to behave themselves like proper adults. Though, perhaps, it was also her job to understand her kids. It was true that they weren't little ones anymore, she had to remind herself of that every now and then.

Callaway walked off, leaving her alone with Bianca who was still looking up at her expectantly. "Well now. I think that, if I was your age of course, I would be calling on his service quite often. That hair of his just makes you want to run your fingers through it, you know?" she giggled. "And those deep green eyes... oh, so dreamy." It was at that moment that her motherly side kicked in and she remembered she was, in fact, talking to her daughter. "Though, I think you could do better than a butler, don't you think dear?"

She followed that comment with a look that suggested there wasn't much better she could do. Like mother like daughter after all. She wondered if that flirty side of her family came from Kieran or her mother, and immediately killed that thought at the mental images it conjured.

Meanwhile, Jules was sitting in a side chair with a book he spirited out of some safe pocket or another in his hands. This time he was reading "The Time Machine", one of the few science fiction books in his repertoire. He normally preferred the true classics. The ones about the past, not the future, but scientific stories were gaining popularity and he had to admit they were starting to grow on him. Though he'd die before he'd compare it to Shakespeare.

The door on the far side of the room, opposite the way everyone had come in, suddenly burst open and another maid stepped in quickly and quietly. She was carrying another tray of food, this one with freshly cut fruit, but stopped suddenly when she saw everyone gathered in the room. A brief look of panic washed across her freckled face, but to the girl's credit she quickly stifled it. Regaining her composure, she calmly sat the tray down on the nearest empty table and backed up to the wall where she bowed repeatedly, her strawberry blond curls bobbing up and down as she did so.

"Please forgive my intrusion. I had no idea that our esteemed guests had already arrived." She took a few deep breathes to calm herself and returned to a dignified pose like a proper maid, hands held low and clasped in front of her, back straight, eyes level but unfocused.

"You may call me Belle, if it pleases you." she said with quite possibly the smallest and most hastily done curtsy ever. "Is there anything I can do for you? Do you have any questions? Anything at all, I shall do my best to serve you during your stay." She held one hand up to her neck, as though to reassure herself that her head was still attached, and placed it on the large blue ribbon she wore there.
    Last edited by TheSequelReturns; 23rd March 2016 at 1:46 AM.

Callum Leonhart
    Side room with donuts

Callum was welcomed into the estate by a beautiful blonde woman hanging on the wall. Despite the ornate detail applied to the house itself, the portrait of this woman stole all the attention. He gazed at the painting in awe. He wasn’t sure what he was in love with more, the incredible talent of the artist who had crafted such a masterpiece, or the muse herself. He heaved a sigh of relief when he saw the title plaque underneath the painting read beatrice; no relative of his. At least that he knew of.

She gazed down on him with her bright blue eyes. He gazed right back, transfixed. His focus was only broken when the butler began introducing some of the staff. Callum had not even noticed they were there.

"The young man here is Gregory. He is our valet here responsible for the odd jobs required by such a large house, such as moving furniture or organizing supplies," said Saizo.

“Valet?” Callum asked under his breath. “Why the hell would you need a valet out here?”

Callum watched as the young ‘valet’ winked at some of the girls. This butler was bold. He wasn’t sure he liked that. And he knew for a fact Jules wouldn’t like that either. He looked to his cousin on his right, and the body language confirmed his suspicions.

Saizo introduced the maid, who seemed much more apt to her job in comparison to the valet. She seemed rather plain to Callum, but her voice was incredibly comforting. After her short introduction, he felt himself wanting to hear her speak more. That would have to wait for another time, as Saizo lead them into another room, and the help didn’t follow.

The room the group was lead into was less impressive decoratively, but it had snacks and tea so Callum couldn’t complain. He immediately noticed the family emblem on the wall. It was aesthetically pleasing, but the concept behind it always bugged him. Even if their last name was Leon, why a lion? They aren’t native to Brittania, not even to the same continent. Why borrow some other land’s creatures when we have our own? If he would have made the crest, he would have chosen a Scottish wildcat. Showed more regional pride, if you asked him, even if the name is kind of deceiving. And what was the deal with the one wing, how useless was that? He tried remembering back to his days as a child when he was undoubtedly taught every last detail behind the sigil, but he just couldn’t remember. He should have paid more attention. Or at least been more careful with what he was consuming while in San Francisco.

Lost in his own train of thought, he missed everything that Saizo had just said. He did notice him plumping up the vase of roses and tuned back in.

"Please wait here for a moment." The butler said. "I shall go and inform Master Kieran that you all have safely arrived."

Finally, Kieran was going to make an appearance. Callum walked over to the roses, inspecting them carefully before plucking one from the vase. He twirled the flower between his fingers before bringing it to his face and inhaling deeply, only to be interrupted by one of the young girls falling all over the valet.

"So mother, I know now is probably not the time to be discussing this, considering the situation, but... that Gregory seems like such a charming fellow, wouldn't you agree?"

Callum wasn’t looking, but he knew from the voice that had been Bianca. He had only met her a few times, and generally only in passing when visiting her parents. Her mother’s response only solidified this.

"Well now. I think that, if I was your age of course, I would be calling on his service quite often. That hair of his just makes you want to run your fingers through it, you know?" Callum's cousin giggled, and it took everything in him not to cringe. "And those deep green eyes... oh, so dreamy." Suddenly, her tone took a turn for the worst. "Though, I think you could do better than a butler, don't you think dear?"

From here, Callum offered his opinion, warranted or not.

“Careful dear, that boy hasn’t seen a bird outside of the maid since he landed on this island. He’d wink at me, too, if I had tits.”

He and Bianca had never spoken much, so this may have come off a bit too strong. If you were to think Callum noticed, however, you would be wrong. He continued inspecting his newly picked rose, and then tucked it into his left breast pocket. He turned around and faced the family just as a door to the room burst open. In walked another maid, this one with a head of curly blonde hair and a face of freckles. Maybe he had spoken too soon in regards to the maids of the estate.

"Please forgive my intrusion. I had no idea that our esteemed guests had already arrived." The woman took a few deep breathes to calm herself and returned to a dignified pose like a proper maid, hands held low and clasped in front of her, back straight, eyes level but unfocused.

"You may call me Belle, if it pleases you." she said with quite possibly the smallest and most hastily done curtsy ever. "Is there anything I can do for you? Do you have any questions? Anything at all, I shall do my best to serve you during your stay."

“Belle,” Callum spoke up after her hasty introduction. “I’m Callum. I have a question. These flowers smell amazing. What can you tell me about them? I’ve never smelled anything so fresh!” He grabbed a slice of pear from the tray she just set down and took the seat next to Callaway, who had his nose buried in a book like a nerd.
    Last edited by Shampoo Thief; 23rd March 2016 at 1:54 AM.

Alena Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor

"It's a large manor, dear. There's plenty of room for all of us." Bianca giggled. Cal laughed as well, though the thunder drowned out his voice. It was a refreshing sight to see her cousin let loose around the adults though. He was usually so formal and put on a facade, but he knew he could always let loose around her. After all, it was her who urged him to get that piercing, though he still hadn't agreed to a tattoo.

"Bianca! Callaway! You should know better than to go barging into people's homes!" Aunt Orianna scolded her cousins sharply. Bianca turned around, frowned and sighed, muttering an apology as she did. Unlike Alena, Bianca always tried to live up to the standards of the Leonhart name, but any non-ignorant person could easily see that even her feminine cousin felt the strain of the expectations that came with their standing. She did not understand her aunt's point, however. Hadn't they been invited in the first place? Surely having such an invitation didn't count as "barging" in the first place! Cal echoed her sentiments, throwing in a sarcastic comment about vampire movies before Saizo herded the family in, the rain beginning to pour in sheets.

---

As soon as the heavy doors shut behind them, Alena shook the water off her soaking newsboy cap and put it back on as she gazed upon the grand foyer. If the outside was already grand, the inside was even more so. The space opened up to the second floor, an exquisite crystal chandelier hanging from the high, painted ceiling, and a balcony with exquisitely crafted railing overlooked the entryway. The walls were gleaming wood, and all the pieces of furniture were carved and made like no other, as if they had been created with Cainhurst Manor specifically in mind, even if their details took inspiration from many different styles. Beautiful rugs covered the gleaming marble floor artfully, and it looked as if her grandfather only used the best of the best to furnish his keep.

However, the purple-eyed girl's eyes were most drawn to a gold-framed twelve-foot tall oil painting that hung on the wall just beneath the balcony. It was a portrait of a woman, her beauty and elegance only made more apparent by the size and attention the detail that the painting had. Thick golden blonde hair piled atop her head in a classy cameo braid, though from the way the woman held herself, she wore it like a queen wore a gilded crown. She was clad in a fine dress of deep plum and wine red, with golden accents here and there, and wore no jewellery. Then again, she was so gorgeous that she didn't even need jewels. Her eyes were sapphire blue, and were painted in such a way that they appeared alive, as if they were peering at everyone in the room, yet looking at nothing. Under the picture was a nameplate that read Beatrice. It was a name that Alena was all too familiar with, having grown up hearing the stories about her grandfather, his gold and his deal with a witch named Beatrice. Was she the woman in the painting, or was it another Beatrice altogether?

When she broke her gaze, she noticed two people, a butler and a maid, standing on either side of the painting like sentries. They were both close enough to her own age, if she was estimating correctly, yet carried themselves with an air of class and sophistication. The handsome butler was a bit of a paradox - finely attired in a black and white tuxedo, yet having a messy brown mop of hair and mischievous green eyes. The maid on the other hand, was more serious-looking, with straight, dark hair that reached her back, and a uniform that bore traces of soot but was otherwise clean. Alena smirked, wondering if any (or both) of them would possibly be taken by someone like her. In her mind, it was easy to picture, her being a breath of fresh air from typical upper-class stodginess after all.

"The young man here is Gregory. He is our valet here responsible for the odd jobs required by such a large house, such as moving furniture or organizing supplies," Saizo introduced as he gestured towards the handsome butler, who made a well practiced flourish with his hand and gave a shorter, more stylish bow.

"Well met." he said, before winking one of his green eyes at her. Alena was taken by surprise, and looked to her side to make sure that he had indeed intended it for her. Sure enough, Bianca was at her side, and she was less certain about who exactly he intended it for. She was pleasantly surprised at his boldness, expecting someone more subdued and less exciting. Definitely someone who might meet the disapproval of the older folks, but of course, that was to be expected. She wasn't going to let him win this first game, however, if it was indeed that kind of game he was playing. She wasn't one to swoon or giggle excitedly and outwardly like any other girly-girl. Already, she saw Bianca whispering into Cal's ear, as if she couldn't make her attraction any more obvious.

"And this young lady is Lucy. She is our head maid here in charge of the cleaning operations of the house. She also serves double duty as our kitchen manager. Fine work she does." Saizo gestured towards the dark-eyed, dark-haired maid. Cooking? Alena was relieved. At least that meant good food during their stay. And Lucy's dark features weren't hard on the eyes either. Gramps sure likes 'em pretty and I wonder why, she thought.

"Do not hesitate to call on either of them, or any of our other staff, should you desire anything." Saizo reminded, to which Bianca replied suggestively that she wouldn't at all hesitate, before winking at Gregory. It was at this point that Saizo began to lead the group to the next room. Alena lingered behind the group, and, unnoticed by the rest of the family, she steered towards Gregory and Lucy, up for a challenge like any person born under the sign of the Archer was. She poked Lucy in the ribs and brazenly smacked Gregory's bottom while keeping a hard, deadpan expression. Once her face was out of sight, however, her expression morphed into a careless, wolfish grin. She managed to rejoin the others, yet didn't look back.

-----

Saizo had led them to an anteroom which, while simpler in design in comparison to the foyer, was still large, well-lit and elegantly-decorated. It had enough chairs for the group to comfortably seat everyone as well. Mounted on the back wall of the room was a golden tapestry emblazoned with the Leonhart family crest, the One-Winged Lion. She smelled the heavenly scent of pastries - well-baked pastries - wafting in the air. Her stomach growled, and she just remembered that the last meal she ate was breakfast, which consisted of strong black coffee and a handful of Tater Tots. She leaned against one of the walls, looking at the tapestry as if willing it to open up and reveal a hidden passageway. Everything seemed so...normal, judging from the way Saizo seemed to go about. That was probably a good enough reason to explore when they were left to their own devices, however.

"I'm afraid that the amenities may not be what you all are accustomed to. This manor is quite old and the Master has never seen fit to modernize it. We have the basics. Electricity, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and the like. But no televisions or radios are present here and the only phone line is in the Master's room," Saizo apologized, taking a moment to straighten some roses in a vase by the door. "Please wait here for a moment. I shall go and inform Master Kieran that you all have safely arrived." And with that, the older man left.

"No television or radios? Surely he must get newspapers delivered here or something. I couldn't imagine life being completely cut off from the rest of the world," Bianca broke the ice, immediately pointing out the manor's lack of connection to the outside world.

"Well, that's why they invented books, deary," Cal replied snarkily, as the two of them approached their mother. Immediately, Bianca brought up Gregory.

"So mother, I know now is probably not the time to be discussing this, considering the situation, but... that Gregory seems like such a charming fellow, wouldn't you agree?" She asked sweetly, prompting Alena to snort. The chase was so much more fun than asking. Cal echoed Bianca, though his voice held a note of sarcasm. She turned away, not wishing to be privy to the girl talk that was inevitably going on. Instead, she made her way to the tapestry and gave it a good look, before placing her hand on the gleaming wood of the wall next to it, running it down. Nothing, but smooth, polished wood. She stuck out her other hand and reached for the wooden wall on the other side of the tapestry. Nothing. She gave a disappointed pfft, before turning away.

Whatever, this is just one room in a huge-ass manor, she reminded herself as she spotted Cal sitting in a corner and reading. She strode up to him and took a look at the cover. It appeared to be a textbook of sorts. Boring, she thought. She knew there was a lot more to Cal than being extremely smart and hardworking. He had a fun side too, and a wicked sense of humour, qualities that were wasted sitting in a corner and reading complicated academic works. If he was going to read, he might as well read something more interesting. She bent down and punched his shoulder lightly, before reaching into her black, spiked duffel bag and taking out a thick paperback book.

"Those damned textbooks again? You know what they say, chump..." she began, before snatching the book he was reading from his hands. "All work and no play makes Cal a dull boy," she finished, before handing him the book she had taken out. The Shining was emblazoned on the book's cover in metallic letters, and Alena couldn't help but look at it fondly as she ruffled Cal's hair and got back up. Her father had picked out the book for her, and it was one of her favorites. Though her father, a well-read and scholarly man, was old-fashioned and stern at times, he did have a different side to him, a side that got her in his own way.

Everybody seemed to be either eating, reading or both. She couldn't blame them, not when there seemed to be no form of modern entertainment in the manor. She had brought a few other books herself, as well as a music player and a few of her favorite heavy metal albums. She wanted to explore the manor more, but her growling stomach protested. Deciding to save it for when she filled herself up comfortably, she looked to where her father and sister were sitting and picked up a plate of pastries, making sure it had a good amount of chocolate-flavored ones, and made her way to join them.

"Pops, Mira...didn't remember seeing you guys eat before we left," she said as she set the plate down in front of them, and pulled out her own seat. She draped her leather jacket across the back of the chair, then sat down in her usual laid-back posture, with her legs apart and her elbow on the table. She made a mental note to ask Mira what she thought about Lucy and Gregory later on. For now, she wanted to know more about the mansion...and if Gramps wasn't going to be giving answers anytime soon, then maybe her father would?

"Pops, tell me more about the time when you lived here," she began, pausing to take a bite out of a chocolate pastry. "Does this place have any...interesting areas you've seen or discovered for yourself? Or does this house just come with its own rumors, all of them just bollocks?"
    Last edited by *Jean Grey*; 24th March 2016 at 7:01 AM.

~ Signature under Construction ~

| Lucian and Grimsley are mine. Touch and I will cut you. | That also applies to Houndoom. | Clock: Equal-To-Heaven |

Cainhurst Manor

As one might expect in a big family reunion like this, it was difficult to just zoom out of everything to do something antisocial. At least with these stuck up people. He got a sentence or two every now and then from his book before he had to casually try and react to people talking to him, while at the same time somehow make it obvious to them he was not paying attention. Lucky for him though, if it is one thing one learn from being raised in such a family, it is how to pretend to pay attention. The occasional "Uh-huh", "Sure", "Right, and "interesting" could be heard, but after a short while, he just gave up on reading alltogether. Before he decided to put his book down though, he slightly jumped as he realized Alena stood right in front of him, inspecting the book he was currently reading. "Those damned textbooks again? You know what they say, chump...", she began, which was what caused his startle. "All work and no play makes Cal a dull boy,". she finished off by giving him a book of her own. "Shush, you. Nobody is saying that.." Cal answered, though he figured she was probably right considering the group of people they were surrounded by. He caught a quick glimpse of his uncle, Callum, giving him more or less the facial expression equivalent of what Alena had just said. He sighed as he looked at the book she handed to him. It was a copy of The Shining, some new horror story published a few years earlier. He didn't really enjoy these books, as he didn't feel they had anything to offer him, but he put it in his bag with the other book anyway. "Besides, I am missing out on a lot of importance in school just by being here. I surely hope this trip is worth it". She then ruffled his hair before walking off without really replying to his last statement. "Uhm.. thanks again for the book." he said, standing up himself.

This time, he decided to walk over to the catering the new maid had brought in. Though he didn't get all she was saying, as she was speaking to his mother, of which he was trying to avoid. She had, however, brought out some fresh fruit, and Cal decided to pick up a plate, of which he hoarded strawberries, apples, pears and some grapes, as well as one of those tiny toothpicks one use to eat them. He then walked over to one of the huge windows and peeked outside. It had whipped up to quite the storm outside, and though he was a big fan of the rain, it was blowing a bit more than what he enjoyed. Though, it was somewhat calming to stand on the silent side of the window and peek out into the darkening evening.

~ Cainhurst Manor - 1st Floor Anteroom ~

Jules was keeping to himself for the most part. Of course he was excited to see the mansion. There's no Leonhart who wouldn't be. But it wouldn't be proper behavior for him to gallivant about like an excited youngster. Especially not in his father's home. Heaven's no. Instead, he kept his inner child contained and distracted with his reading. that was, until his daughter wandered over with a tray full of food and he felt his stomach rumble. Perhaps a bite. No doubt, a nice dinner awaited them once the obligations were out of the way, but for now...

"Thank you dear." Jules said as he picked up a raspberry tart with chocolate drizzle and took a bite. It tasted as divine as it smelled. "I do hope we won't be waiting too long for dinner to be served, but these will do nicely in the interim."

"Pops, tell me more about the time when you lived here," Alena began, pausing to take a bite out of a chocolate pastry. "Does this place have any...interesting areas you've seen or discovered for yourself? Or does this house just come with its own rumors, all of them just bollocks?"

The book closed in Jules hands. This was the daughter he knew, the one under all the punk or emo or whatever kids called the dark style these days. A bright, curious, and intelligent young woman. She would grow up just fine, of that he had no doubt. He hadn't missed her hand one of her favorite books to her cousin a few moments ago. That book, The Shining, it seemed like only a short time ago that he had picked it out just for her. It had to mean a lot to her. He could add generous to the list too then, as well. You'd think it would come with the territory of having money to burn, but most of their family members tended to horde as much of their estates as they could.

"Well, I'm afraid I won't have much to tell dear." he shook his head. "I only got to stay in the guest house here on the island back when father first commissioned this place. It was to be our families private estate. A little retreat from the hustle and bustle of London." A downcast look clouded his eyes. He took a moment to wipe his glasses off on his sleeve. "Alas, mother passed on shortly before the manor was to be completed. It broke father's heart. After that, your aunt and I were sent to the family home in London where we stayed until we went and acquired our own homes."

He smiled, a little halfheartedly. "The guest house wasn't much to look at I'm afraid so I can't even think of a good story for that one. Other than the wine cellar of course, but I don't recall any wine actually being stored there. Either way, it was only for a short time and that was many years ago. Sorry I don't have a tale for you this time."

Across the room, Callum was talking with the new arrival, the second maid of the estate.

“Belle,” Callum spoke up after her hasty introduction. “I’m Callum. I have a question. These flowers smell amazing. What can you tell me about them? I’ve never smelled anything so fresh!” He grabbed a slice of pear from the tray she just set down and took the seat next to Callaway, who had his nose buried in a book.

The curly haired maid nodded. "Of course sir. The white roses you see there are a specialty of Cainhurst Isle, you won't find them anywhere else. Master Kieran had them bred at a very large expense for his exclusive use. The fresh aroma you smell? The roses were cross-bred extensively and specialized grafting methods were used to give the roses a subtle scent of vanilla. From what I've been told, it took many years to perfect the flowers, and Kieran is very protective of them."

Belle fidgeted for a moment, her warm brown eyes darting down and back up at Callum as though she were debating how to proceed. "If you like them, the largest bushes can be found out back in the Master's gardens. But between you and me, there's a bush out back full of red roses that I'm positive used to be white."

She shook her head, dismissing the thought as a silly rumor. "I'm sorry, I shall refrain from gossiping in the future." She gave another small and hasty curtsy.

"Its been quite some time since Saizo went to inform father of our arrival." Orianna said. "Do you think everything is alright?"

The maid seemed taken aback. "I- I'm not sure. I can go and check for you if you would like."

"Please do so." Orianna looked genuinely concerned. Even Jules was starting to feel that they had waited too long. That something was amiss.

"Right away." Belle nodded. Carefully stepping around all the furniture and people, the blond-haired maid traveled across the room and quietly through the door on the other side. The door to the Grand Foyer. The door and only just closed itself when they heard her scream. A scream of pure terror, followed by a crash.

Jules was up and moving so quickly that his book went flying from his lap and his tea cup shattered on the floor. A few of the others were close behind. The family members made it into the Foyer to see a scene right out of one of Alena's books.

Belle was on her knees on the floor, tears streaming down her face. At the other end of the room, Lucy was standing in the opposite doorway as though she had just arrived having heard the scream, her face white as a sheet and the remains of a few teacups at her feet. There, in the center of the room, positioned right under the painting of Beatrice, was the body of the butler Saizo, a metal object sticking out of his chest. It looked like an old iron key. Though Saizo had to have been recently killed, nothing in the room was amiss and the only bloodstains were directly on or under his body.

Gregory arrived a few moments later, and his panic gave way to trembling hands as he placed a hand on Lucy's shoulder. She shook it off. Walking slowly but calmly towards the center of the room, the raven-hared maid was struggling to compose herself. Despite the tears that welled up in her eyes, she began taking charge of the situation. "Belle, go and get Yuri" For a moment, Belle ignored her. "Belle, go and get Yuri, now."

Belle snapped to attention. "Y- y- yes ma'am." Jules helped the younger maid to her feet and Belle took off back through the right door towards the anteroom at full speed.

"What is the meaning of all this?" Jules asked. "Just what is going on here? Is Saizo..." he didn't want to finish that statement. Though, the answer was obvious. Saizo was dead.

---

2 CLUES FOUND!

Haze Leonhart
    Cainhurst manor

Haze watched as the rest of the Leonharts familiarised themselves with each other, acting like they were all old friends (which they might have been, for all she knew). Already, that one guy who gave of a kind of ‘hippie’ feel had already engaged the enthusiastic girl from earlier in a conversation about the behaviour of the Butler from earlier, and a rather macabre-looking woman seemed to be engaged in casual conversation with another person, who happened to be reading a book - something that Sybil, who was sitting next to her, seemed to approve of. Haze couldn’t help but feel like they were making themselves a bit too comfortable here. But maybe that was just how they always acted, regardless of time and place. Already, the Leonharts were turning out to be quite the interesting bunch of people.

Her elder half sister seemed quite eager to get to know her, something Haze didn’t quite appreciate. She had stood up and gone somewhere, returning with two cups of tea, one of which she offered to her. "Here you go," Sybil said, handing her the cup, smiling slightly. “You can put it back if you don't want it...but I thought you might like one." Haze nodded to show her thanks and took the cup, sipping from it and sighing appreciatively. Tea was one of her favourite drinks, and hardly anything could make her feel better than a nice, hot cup of it. While she did prefer the asian green teas, these weren’t half bad. Already, she could feel the tension that had been unwittingly building up inside her begin to leave her body. It was quite obvious that Sybil had wanted to get rid of the strange kind of awkwardness between them, something Haze didn’t mind. Even though she would have been more than happy to keep these people at arm’s length, if Sybil wanted to get to know her, there was little she could do about it.

She had just put the tea cup down on the table next to the chair when another maid burst into the room, looking quite obviously out of breath. She hastily introduced herself as ‘Belle’, then offered to help them with whatever they may need help with. Haze turned away slightly - she didn’t need help with anything - but the hippie guy immediately engaged her in conversation and asked her about the flowers that were in a vase by the door. It turned out that his name was Callum, a rather nondescript name for someone so peculiar. The maid replied with a rather long explanation about how the flowers had been grown on Cainhurst and crossbred to create this particular breed. Haze’s attention, however, was immediately turned to the maid when she said something that caught her attention: “…But between you and me, there's a bush out back full of red roses that I'm positive used to be white.”

Haze suddenly felt a strange sense of foreboding. There was something eerily… well, eerie about what she had just said. That, coupled with the strangely oppressive air that Cainhurst gave off, was enough set all her senses on high alert. She felt her body tense up slightly in spite of herself. Relax, she thought, trying to calm herself down. nothing is going to happen here..

That was when a lady that Haze had never seen before asked Belle to go check on Saizo, who she had mentioned was taking a bit longer than expected. Haze felt that there was a strange sort of concern in her voice. Belle, somewhat taken aback, immediately left the room, heading towards the foyer they had been waiting in a few minutes before. Haze had to admit that the amount of time the Butler had taken was unusual, even for a house that was as large as the Cainhurst manor. He wasn’t the type to get lost, and he seemed to place a large emphasis on punctuality, so he wasn’t the type to take an unannounced break from work either. Haze felt that strange chilling sensation from earlier threatening to take over her again, immediately drinking the tea that was left in her cup to try and calm herself down.

As if to confirm all of her suspicions, the instant the maid left the room, the uneasy silence was immediately shattered by a piercing scream. Haze almost jumped out of her chair, but managed to keep on a relatively emotionless face while doing so. Along with all the others, she rushed out of the room, stopping dead in her tracks as she laid eyes on the dead body of Saizo the Butler. She did not notice Belle, who was on her knees and somewhat hysterical, nor did she see Lucy, her face white as snow and her hands, which were carrying teacups moments before, shaking.

Haze’s eyes were wide, but that was the only sign of the fear that was overtaking her that showed on her face. She had eyes only for Saizo, her gaze fixated upon the blood that was streaming from the cavity on his chest, caused by some sort of key-like object. Somehow, despite her terror, a relatively calm thought surfaced in her head - how did something like that cause so much damage? It somehow made the scene in front of her all the more terrifying.

She didn’t see Lucy command Belle to get someone, probably another servant. She didn’t see Gregory turn the corner and enter the foyer. She didn’t hear Jule’s comment about the death of Saizo. All she noticed, all she could notice, was the fact that something as harmless as an iron key could have killed a person much stronger than most of the people standing beside her.Haze Leonhart
    Cainhurst manor

Haze watched as the rest of the Leonharts familiarised themselves with each other, acting like they were all old friends (which they might have been, for all she knew). Already, that one guy who gave of a kind of ‘hippie’ feel had already engaged the enthusiastic girl from earlier in a conversation about the behaviour of the Butler from earlier, and a rather macabre-looking woman seemed to be engaged in casual conversation with another person, who happened to be reading a book - something that Sybil, who was sitting next to her, seemed to approve of. Haze couldn’t help but feel like they were making themselves a bit too comfortable here. But maybe that was just how they always acted, regardless of time and place. Already, the Leonharts were turning out to be quite the interesting bunch of people.

Her elder half sister seemed quite eager to get to know her, something Haze didn’t quite appreciate. She had stood up and gone somewhere, returning with two cups of tea, one of which she offered to her. "Here you go," Sybil said, handing her the cup, smiling slightly. “You can put it back if you don't want it...but I thought you might like one." Haze nodded to show her thanks and took the cup, sipping from it and sighing appreciatively. Tea was one of her favourite drinks, and hardly anything could make her feel better than a nice, hot cup of it. While she did prefer the asian green teas, these weren’t half bad. Already, she could feel the tension that had been unwittingly building up inside her begin to leave her body. It was quite obvious that Sybil had wanted to get rid of the strange kind of awkwardness between them, something Haze didn’t mind. Even though she would have been more than happy to keep these people at arm’s length, if Sybil wanted to get to know her, there was little she could do about it.

She had just put the tea cup down on the table next to the chair when another maid burst into the room, looking quite obviously out of breath. She hastily introduced herself as ‘Belle’, then offered to help them with whatever they may need help with. Haze turned away slightly - she didn’t need help with anything - but the hippie guy immediately engaged her in conversation and asked her about the flowers that were in a vase by the door. It turned out that his name was Callum, a rather nondescript name for someone so peculiar. The maid replied with a rather long explanation about how the flowers had been grown on Cainhurst and crossbred to create this particular breed. Haze’s attention, however, was immediately turned to the maid when she said something that caught her attention: “…But between you and me, there's a bush out back full of red roses that I'm positive used to be white.”

Haze suddenly felt a strange sense of foreboding. There was something eerily… well, eerie about what she had just said. That, coupled with the strangely oppressive air that Cainhurst gave off, was enough set all her senses on high alert. She felt her body tense up slightly in spite of herself. Relax, she thought, trying to calm herself down. nothing is going to happen here..

That was when a lady that Haze had never seen before asked Belle to go check on Saizo, who she had mentioned was taking a bit longer than expected. Haze felt that there was a strange sort of concern in her voice. Belle, somewhat taken aback, immediately left the room, heading towards the foyer they had been waiting in a few minutes before. Haze had to admit that the amount of time the Butler had taken was unusual, even for a house that was as large as the Cainhurst manor. He wasn’t the type to get lost, and he seemed to place a large emphasis on punctuality, so he wasn’t the type to take an unannounced break from work either. Haze felt that strange chilling sensation from earlier threatening to take over her again, immediately drinking the tea that was left in her cup to try and calm herself down.

As if to confirm all of her suspicions, the instant the maid left the room, the uneasy silence was immediately shattered by a piercing scream. Haze almost jumped out of her chair, but managed to keep on a relatively emotionless face while doing so. Along with all the others, she rushed out of the room, stopping dead in her tracks as she laid eyes on the dead body of Saizo the Butler. She did not notice Belle, who was on her knees and somewhat hysterical, nor did she see Lucy, her face white as snow and her hands, which were carrying teacups moments before, shaking.

Haze’s eyes were wide, but that was the only sign of the fear that was overtaking her that showed on her face. She had eyes only for Saizo, her gaze fixated upon the blood that was streaming from the cavity on his chest, caused by some sort of key-like object. Somehow, despite her terror, a relatively calm thought surfaced in her head - how did something like that cause so much damage? It somehow made the scene in front of her all the more terrifying.

She didn’t see Lucy command Belle to get someone, probably another servant. She didn’t see Gregory turn the corner and enter the foyer. She didn’t hear Jule’s comment about the death of Saizo. All she noticed, all she could notice, was the fact that something as harmless as an iron key could have killed a person much stronger than most of the people standing beside her.

Haze calmed herself down and managed to return her face to its normal, emotionless state. She surprised herself by walking forwards towards the dead body of Saizo and kneeling down besides it, examining the wound in the same way a doctor would do so for a patient. Perhaps, if she remained detached enough from this matter, she'd make it through with her sanity intact and, perhaps, even be of help.
    Last edited by Vern; 30th March 2016 at 1:10 AM.

Bianca Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor; 1st Floor Anteroom > Grand Foyer

"Well now. I think that, if I was your age of course, I would be calling on his service quite often. That hair of his just makes you want to run your fingers through it, you know?" Her mother giggled. "And those deep green eyes... oh, so dreamy." Bianca nodded in agreement at all of her mother's statements. Then she suddenly remembered that this was her daughter she was talking to, and added some motherly advice. "Though, I think you could do better than a butler, don't you think dear?" Though after saying that she gave her daughter a knowing look, that Bianca understood the meaning of.

Bianca giggled. "You have a point mother. But then... I am a Leonhart, who am I going to find better?" Bianca knew it was the truth. The Leonhart family was the most prestigious families in Britannia. As presumptuous as it sounded, everybody she pursued would be beneath her. "Besides, Alistair was a commoner, and that affair turned out wonderfully. Until... well... you know..." She frowned once again at the thought of her previous boyfriend.

“Careful dear, that boy hasn’t seen a bird outside of the maid since he landed on this island. He’d wink at me, too, if I had tits.” Said a disheveled looking man that she had only seen talking to her mother and uncle in passing before now. Her mother had explained that his name was Callum, and that he was her first Cousin Once-Removed or something. All Bianca could think of was, removed from what? The family? Sure, he didn't exactly look like a nobleman, but that was no reason to remove him.

Before Bianca had a chance to reply to the unwarranted advice her cousin had given, another one of her grandfather's staff nervously entered the room. She hastily introduced herself as ‘Belle’, then offered to help them with whatever they may need help with. Callum immediately engaged her in a conversation about the flowers.

Her mother then pointed out that it had been quite some time since Sazio had left to fetch their grandfather. Bianca hadn't thought that much about it. It was a large mansion. Maybe her grandfather's chambers were far away from this room, and perhaps it was a rather long journey to go and fetch him. Not to mention the fact that neither were young men anymore, so it wouldn't be that strange if they were slow. Regardless, Belle offered to go check on him.

She hadn't been out long, before they heard her scream. Immediately, the family rushed out to see what the problem was.

They soon found that Belle was on her knees on the floor, tears streaming down her face. She was looking over the body of the butler Saizo, which happened to be positioned right under the painting of Beatrice. Bianca thought that was an eerie coincidence. There was a metal object sticking out of his chest. It looked like an old iron key. Though Saizo had to have been recently killed, nothing in the room was off, and the only bloodstains were directly on or under his body. Bianca cringed at the sight of it. She wasn't particularly fond of seeing dead bodies, or the sight of blood.

Gregory arrived a few moments later, and he placed his hand on the maid Lucy's shoulder. Lucy then told Belle to get someone named Yuri, to which Belle complied, and left in a hurry.

"What is the meaning of all this?" Her uncle Jules asked. "Just what is going on here? Is Saizo..." he didn't finish the statement, but it was clear that the old butler was very much dead, and it wasn't just from old age.

"Well, this is just tragic..." Bianca said somberly. "The thought that somebody has been murdered is absolutely dreadful! Who would do such a thing?" Even though this was a serious situation, she did notice that Gregory had just walked into the room, and she wasn't about to let this opportunity go to waste. She strode over to his side, and took Gregory by the arm. "Oh, hello! I'm Bianca Leonhart. It's unfortunate that our second meeting had to be under such horrific circumstances... But now is as good a time as any to meet each other properly."
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 30th March 2016 at 1:22 AM.

Sybil Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor

To her relief, with a polite nod of gratitude, Haze accepted the drink. However, she might have accepted the drink, but it didn't make it any easier to dispel the awkwardness between them. Sybil seated herself next to her sister, sipping at the tea, and watching as the some of her relatives discussed the butler from earlier. Sybil found it quite amusing to see the enthusiastic girl, whose name she believed to be Bianca, and her mother discussing him, and all the good qualities about him, even if the mother seemed to get a bit carried away. Although she was more interested in the raven haired maid, she could see why the two women were gushing over him, he was quite easy on the eyes.

She was finishing up the last of her tea when another maid entered the room quickly and quietly. She carried a tray of food with her, this one with a variety of freshly cut fruit, but she stopped abruptly when she realised she wasn't alone in the room. A brief look of panic washed over her features, but she was quick to regain her composure. Once she had set the tray down on the table she introduced herself as Belle, and offered to answer any questions if they had any. Sybil, didn't need have any questions, but did wander over to the recently placed tray of fruit, and started picking at the pieces of pineapple.

Callum seemed to jump at the offer of having some of his questions, and started inquiring after the roses.

"Its been quite some time since Saizo went to inform father of our arrival." The Bianca's mother pointed out. "Do you think everything is alright?"

Belle seemed unsure, but offered to check for her. Sybil hadn't noticed that Saizo had, in fact, been gone for sometime. Personally, she had though nothing of it, believing he had probably stayed with Kieran, but it was apparent that others seemed to find something amiss with this situation.

Belle had not been gone long, when suddenly her screams could be heard. Immediately, the family rushed out to see what the problem was.

What they found was Belle on her knees on the floor, tears streaming rapidly down her face. She happened to be looking up at the body of Saizo, who had been positioned under the photo of Beatrice, a small metal object which looked to be a key protruding out his chest.

"Oh god..." Sybil mumbled, a hand racing up to her mouth to suppress the scream which threatened to follow her words.

Gregory and Lucy soon appeared themselves, and once the initial shock wore off, they were quick to sort out the situation. Lucy sent off Belle to find another person named Yuri, and Bianca offered some comforting words to Gregory, or at least her version of comfort.

Sybil, having now regained her composure, walked over to where Lucy was stood in the centre of the room. "Lucy," she began, addressing her calmly so as to get her attention. "Was Saizo well liked by the other staff here at Cainhurst? Would anyone here have possibly considered doing this to him?" Sybil spoke as comfortingly as she could; even though Lucy had remained strong, she did not wish to upset her if she could.

~ Cainhurst Manor - Grand Foyer 1st Floor ~

"Well, this is just tragic..." Bianca said somberly. "The thought that somebody has been murdered is absolutely dreadful! Who would do such a thing?"

Gregory was only vaguely aware of her words, or even her presence, as Bianca strode over to his side. She grabbed his arm, but he barely felt it. Her touch felt a million miles away. She was saying something now, introducing herself or some such. Probably her way of offering emotional support. Everyone dealt with shock in their own way. If denial was hers, who was he to judge?

Though she was a bit annoying right now, and though Saizo, his friend and mentor, lay still and cold on the marble floor, he couldn't bring himself to push her off of him. She was alive, and for whatever twisted or personal reasons, she was here with him right now. Human contact suddenly seemed so fragile a thing. So he stood there, jaw clenched, eyes distant. He stood still. And he let Bianca stand there with him as he tried to process all of this.

As Lucy sent Belle on her way, Orianna couldn't help but wonder just how many servants were here in the manor. There was Saizo, rest his poor soul, the two maids Lucy and Belle, the hunk of a butler Gregory, and now a "Yuri" who she could only assume was someone with some sort of medical knowledge. That made five... no, four now. Four strangers who could have been responsible foe this. If you included her father, as much as she was loathe to though she couldn't rule it out, it went back up to five suspects.

Somehow, Orianna managed to force a few words out through her swallowed panic. "How many others are here on the island?" she asked Lucy. "Who could have done this?"

Lucy took a moment to let the question sink in before blinking some of the tears out of her eyes and answering the woman. "Saizo, Gregory, myself, Belle, and Katrina are the only housekeepers here at the moment. Then there's Yuri, our MD, and Violetta, our head chef. Master Kieran sent everyone else away a few days before you arrived."

"Sent home?" Orianna asked. "Why?"

The maid shook her head. "I don't know. We didn't know you all were coming until this morning."

"I see." was all Orianna could think to say. She stepped away, to allow Lucy some privacy while they waited for Yuri to arrive, though what a doctor could do at this point to help poor Saizo was beyond her. This whole situation was just... just... royally screwed up. Why had they help been sent away with such an important visit going on? Just what was going on in her father's head right now?

Sybil approached Lucy now. If Lucy cared one way or another about the pestering given the circumstances, she didn't show it. Not one hint. Either she was as cold as ice, or the best damn maid in London. Maybe both. Her eyes never left Saizo's body, even as Sybil talked.

"Lucy," Sybil began, her voice calm and measured. "Was Saizo well liked by the other staff here at Cainhurst? Would anyone here have possibly considered doing this to him?" Sybil spoke as comfortingly as she could, something Lucy was silently grateful for.

The raven-haired maid slowly shook her head. Her tears were starting to win the fight, but she was holding on so far. "No. I'm sure no one here would do such a thing. Not to Saizo. He was... he was like a father to me. To all of us. He was the first butler the Master ever hired. No one here has ever donned a uniform without going through his training first. He..." her smooth voice cracked and she stopped to compose herself. "I'm sorry. We've been so understaffed... I should have been here with him. I could have..." her hands were balled into fits, but she didn't say anything else.

---

CLUE FOUND!

Bianca Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor; Grand Foyer

Gregory hadn't said or done anything to acknowledge Bianca's presence. His eyes remained focus on the lifeless body lying on the floor in front of them. Under normal circumstances, she would have scolded him for being rude, but these weren't normal circumstances.

The pieces fit together after another one of her cousins she hadn't met before, whose name she heard was Sybil, asked the maid Lucy if Sazio was well liked amongst the other members of the staff. Lucy's words suggested that Sazio was like a mentor to all the other servants at the manor. She had a hard time getting the words out without bursting into tears. If that was how Lucy was feeling, Bianca understood why Gregory would be so stoic at a time like this.

"Ah, I see. So, if what Lucy said is true, then the two of you must have been close as father and son..." Bianca said to him in the most comforting tone she could pull off. "I don't know what I could do or say that would be of any help to you but... If it's of any comfort, I understand what it's like to lose a loved one so suddenly like this..." Bianca bit her lip nervously. The only people she ever talked to about Alistair's passing were her mother and brother. She didn't think she would ever talk about this to anyone else about this, let alone someone who was a complete stranger. "You know, it's perfectly normal to be upset about something like this. You don't have to be so stoic about it. Crying isn't just for women after all. Regardless of what other men would have you believe. I was grieving for days when I got the news about Alistair's passing..." She decided it best not to mention exactly what her relation to Alistair was. It was usually a bad idea to talk about past romantic relationships to potential new suitors, but this occasion seemed appropriate to do so.

Her mother also asked Lucy about how many people were on this island, and in the process of naming the other staff members, she also explained that her grandfather had sent the other staff members away. They also apparently didn't know they were coming until this morning. Which was odd, because Bianca would believe that he would have given his staff more notice of their arrival. And why only have seven staff members, and only those seven here in the first place. Was grandfather just getting senile, or was there something else at work here? Bianca was both nervous, and excited at the same time. This whole situation really was like something she'd seen in a book. (Contrary to what her brother thinks, She does read books herself once in a while. Though, not as often as he does, and her choices of literature were usually fantasies, romance novels, or a combination of the two.)

She let go of Gregory's arm to give the man a moment to greive by himself, and walked over to her brother. "I'm sure you've noticed, but something very strange is going on here."
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 30th March 2016 at 7:54 PM.

Cainhurst Manor

Things went about pretty uneventful for a few minutes as Callaway just enjoyed the view, more or less ignoring the people around him. He was ripped out of his train of thoughts by a high pitch scream coming from the other room, and he, as well as everyone else in there, turned to wards the sound, slightly confused. They soon found that Belle was on her knees on the floor, crying over the apparently dead body of the butler Saizo. It took a few moments before it hit Callaway that he had been murdured, and though he was internally panicking, he kept his cool. It looked like he had been stabbed, and he was laying under that creepy painting of the supposed Witch, Beatrice. Callaway kept a bit behind the others to overlook the situation. What would happen now? Or even more importantly, was there a psycho killer amongst them?

"Well, this is just tragic... The thought that somebody has been murdered is absolutely dreadful! Who would do such a thing?", his sister said in a distressed tone. He wanted to offer her support, but she quickly noticed the other butler, Gregory, and went over to him instead. "Oh, hello! I'm Bianca Leonhart. It's unfortunate that our second meeting had to be under such horrific circumstances... But now is as good a time as any to meet each other properly." she said. Well, one had to hand it to her. Even when someone literally died, she use the oppurtunity to hit on someone. He didn't take too kindly of her approach though, and though he didn't push her off him, one could clearly see he was very distressed. Cal was just confused at this point. did this really happen?

"How many others are here on the island?" his mother asked one of the maids. "Who could have done this?".

"Saizo, Gregory, myself, Belle, and Katrina are the only housekeepers here at the moment. Then there's Yuri, our MD, and Violetta, our head chef. Master Kieran sent everyone else away a few days before you arrived.", she answered. his mother seemed to think this through before continuing to speak.

His mother just asked why the others was sent away, to which the maid couldn't give a proper answer. after that, his mother left her alone. Cal took this oppurtunity and walked over to her. "So, no idea how, or why this happened, not to mention by whom, I assume?". He then sighed. "I know you dislike... Well.. Me. Though in this case I refer to my habit of complaining. But I do not feel safe here, and would like for us to return home at the earliest convinience.". He kept his cool, but he did kind of want to just panic instead. The storm was acting up, so it would be difficult to get home anyway. Gotta love remote islands.

His sister then arrived and started talking to him. "I'm sure you've noticed, but something very strange is going on here.", she said. It could have been his imagination, but Cal was sure he heard a faint tone of excitement in her voice. She really was one of the weirder ones. "You don't say? I thought random murder was routine around here." he answered sarcastically. He then softened up a bit before continuing. "This is freaky, indeed. We should be on high alert, just in case we're next on the potential list of a killing spree." The family was well known, and had a few enemies here and there. It wasn't too hard to believe someone had tailed them there with grim intends.

Haze Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor.

Haze saw little of the chaos that no doubt was surrounding her, instead looking at Saizo’s dead body with a calmness that frightened herself. An examination of the chest wound revealed nothing. She was just about to look up from the body when her eyes caught something written on the ground - the word ‘look’, complete with a little exclamation mark. It was also written in blood. The warmth that was slowly returning to her body was immediately dissipated.

Haze stared at the letters for a while before pulling out a permanent marker from one of the numerous pockets on her jacket and drawing a small circle around where the word ‘look’ had been drawn. Since the word was written in blood, it would probably smudge the instant someone touched it, and the servants would probably clean it up later, after they were done grieving. Something in her thought that the location of the word would be of importance later. More important, however, was the condition of Saizo’s eyes. They seemed… damaged. The eyelids seemed to cave inwards slightly. Haze reached forwards with her hands to lift the eyelids, but stopped dead when she realised what eyelids that caved inwards meant - namely, lack of eyes. She quickly withdrew her hand, almost like withdrawing her hand from a fire, and stood up, backing away from the body.

By now, Haze had gotten used to the dead body, and quickly looked around to see how the others were holding up. She wasn’t particularly impressed with what she saw - the first thing she laid her eyes on was the enthusiastic girl from earlier, who she still did not know the name of, latching onto Gregory’s arm. The butler had entered the room a while ago, and was noticeably upset by this sudden turn of events. Haze quickly turned away before the more principled part of her found the need to make some sort of comment about her actions.

Haze then watched as Sybil and another, older woman began asking Lucy about the number of servants present on the island and whether any of them would have been disposed to kill Saizo. The answer to the first question was ‘not a lot’, and the answer to the second was ‘definitely not’. As she listened to their conversations, Haze took out three of the many rocks she kept on her person as well as her permanent marker, writing down three messages, one for each rock. On the first rock, she wrote ‘The word is ‘look!’’, on the second, ‘the circle (she drew a large oval here instead of writing ‘circle’) marks the spot’, and on the third, ‘he’s missing his eyes’. She had already made up her mind not to tell any of the others about the conditions of Saizo’s body for now, to avoid causing more panic or drawing undue attention to herself. However, she wanted to make sure that if needed, someone could access this information, even if she… wasn’t around. The killer of Saizo hadn’t been found yet, and he or she (Haze chose to ignore the possibility of the killer being an ‘it’, due to how disturbing that was), and he/she could very well be disposed to kill anyone else he/she found convenient.

She was just about to walk towards Lucy and ask her when they would be able to leave the island when the man who had been sitting down on a couch reading books earlier did what amounted to the same thing. After receiving his answer, which Haze did not hear, she saw the enthusiastic girl approach him, and walked a bit closer to them to hear what they were saying. From the way they regarded each other, Haze managed to deduce that they were probably close relatives, or perhaps close friends.

"I'm sure you've noticed, but something very strange is going on here." the girl from earlier said, and Haze detected a strange sort of excitement in her voice, but dismissed it as just her imagination. The man responded in a way that made Haze feel rather uncomfortable.

"You don't say? I thought random murder was routine around here." he replied, his voice laced with sarcasm. "This is freaky, indeed. We should be on high alert, just in case we're next on the potential list of a killing spree." Haze didn’t like the way they talked so casually about murder and death, but that would be something she kept to herself. Perhaps it was because they were raised with this type of stuff happening all around them, being in a large, well known family and all. It was quite likely that the Leonharts had made quite a few enemies without her knowledge, some of which would probably be more than happy to kill some of these people stranded on a remote island cut off from the rest of the world.

For the umpteenth time that day, Haze wondered what the hell she was getting herself into.

Sybil Leonhart
    Cainhurst Manor

Before answering Sybil's question, the raven-haired maid responded to a similar question asked by the mother of Bianca, who wanted to know how many more servants were on the island. The answered she gave surprised Sybil; according to her, there were only 8 members of the staff still on the island and the rest had been sent home. The latter was what had surprised (and confused) Sybil the most. Cainhurst manor was quite large, and though the staff presumably only tended to one person, Sybil thought it would have made more sense to keep them around, what with the influx of Leonhart's that had been invited here.

Once Lucy had finished her explanation to the older woman, she went on to answer Sybil's earlier question. "No. I'm sure no one here would do such a thing. Not to Saizo. He was... he was like a father to me. To all of us. He was the first butler the Master ever hired. No one here has ever donned a uniform without going through his training first. He..." Her voice cracked, and though she was swift to regain her composure, Sybil could see that Saizo's passing had hit her hard. "I'm sorry. We've been so understaffed... I should have been here with him. I could have..."

Her hands balled into fists and she didn't speak afterwards which was understandable. It was only then that she noticed something had changed about Lucy's appearance. The soot that marked her uniform had disappeared, making it appear as though she had changed dresses; but, it seemed impossible she would have even had the time to change, given that she had been carrying teacups indicating she had still been working. Another thing which seemed off was that it seemed she had managed to apply fresh perfume, too. Sybil couldn't recall if she had been wearing perfume earlier. Then again, the scent - though new to Sybil's senses - wasn't overly powerful. She decided against drawing attention to the changes, deciding that it wasn't that important for everyone to know.

"Thank you, Lucy." She said, resting a hand comfortingly on her shoulder. She considered offering a hug too, but decided against it, feeling that she would be over-stepping her boundaries by doing so. Removing her hand, and taking a few steps away from Lucy, she swiftly added in a quieter voice, "I'm sorry for your loss."

It was then that one of her relatives, the boy whom Sybil believed to be Bianca's brother, asked when they would be able to leave the island. She didn't hear the answer which Lucy gave to him, but her train of thoughts were soon directed to Bianca who came over to brother and started talking. "I'm sure you've noticed, but something very strange is going on here." She said to him. Sybil couldn't tell if it was her imagination or not, but it sounded like there was a hint of excitement in her voice.

"You don't say? I thought random murder was routine around here." Her brother responded sarcastically. "This is freaky, indeed. We should be on high alert, just in case we're next on the potential list of a killing spree."

Sybil felt a little uncomfortable at how nonchalantly they discussed the matter of death and murder. The name Leonhart was bound to attract a few enemies, that much Sybil knew. She wondered if her other relatives had been raised with this kind of thing happening all around them. Personally, Sybil had never been raised with the imminent threat of danger, having lived a rather modest life in the country. However, if there had to be a member of her family who could contend for the title of most enemies, her father could have certainly fit the bill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast