Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Challenging A Towering Figure! (609)

Quote Originally Posted by shac View Post
    Dawn said she would use it in her contest. I can't see how any of her pokemon could do that. Piplup devouring his whirlpool? Mamoswine his ice-shard/ancient-power? That would be weird. I mean energy-ball is a ball of energy, and so mighjt be sucked into, but I dunno if it should work similarly for other attacks.

My only guess is Mamoswine ingesting Ancientpower or Hidden Power...kinda fits that it would.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

Quote Originally Posted by Machete View Post
    Strategy? It just activated Overgrow.

And no, I don't think that Razor Leaf would've saved Grotle. Rhyperior OHKO'd it. Despite the power up, Rhyperior was still far superior. Grotle attacked when Rhyperior was recharging (it was tired before Grotle attacked him), but when Rhyperior used its tail, the battle was over.
    Yes, it activated OG, but only because it consumed the Energy ball. Was it not the case? And I don't understand Japanese, so i can't tell but was it confirmed that overgrow was activated? Who mentioned that - Brock?

What I meant about the battle is, Rhyperior was on the very edge of that hillock, wasn't he? If grotle had used r-leaf at that moment, then Rhyperior might have fallen off the peak. That might have hurt bad!

@Sand Alchemist, Mudkip43, thanx for clearing it up!
    Last edited by shac; 3rd September 2009 at 5:51 PM.

Yes, it activated OG, but only because it consumed the Energy ball. Was it not the case?
    Yeah, but it wasn't intentional. Rhyperior attacked the Energy Ball when Grotle was still creating it, it swallowed it and it activated Overgrow. I don't think that just saying "Grotle, swallow your Energy Ball!" will activate it.

What I meant about the battle is, Rhyperior was on the very edge of that hillock, wasn't he? If grotle had used r-leaf at that moment, then Rhyperior might have fallen off the peak. That might have hrt bad!
    I don't think so. I mean, sure, Grotle was much stronger, but Rhyperior was far better. Grotle attacked when it was creating Rock Wrecker, and later when it was recharging. Rhyperior needed to recharge, but when it was back at full power, it stopped Grotle and OHKO'd it. Even if Grotle had used Razor Leaf, it wouldn't have defeated Rhyperior. And even if Rhyperior had fallen, I don't think that that would've been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post

*prepares for the rush to Sunnyshore Gym so they can start advertising Johto faster*
    XD

Blimp, anyone?

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    One thing that stood out to me, was Ash remembering his full battle with Paul. So it seems to me that the writers do have the full battle in mind, and having Ash find his own non DEM strategy to beat Paul.
    I think your reading abit too much into that, all they showed was the end of the fight, and Ash didn't seem very thoughtful or enthusiastic when it ended, so i doubt it means anything.

Well Grotle now has Energy Ball power up, now basically 5 more Pokemon to go or in other words (5 more episodes).
    Some people are under the assumption it was infact Overgrow, triggered by the combination of both Rhyperior's megahorn and Grotle's energy ball backlash causing enough damage to kick it in.

Of course until someone who can translate japanese explains detail to detail what happened in the battle, one can not be certain of what happened.

I have to say though it is rather ironic that Grotle's rock climb, a normal move seemed to do more damage to Rhyperior than it's grass attacks did, thought that was rather funny but at the same time seriously they made Solid Rock abit overpowering, since Grotle's grass attacks should've done some damage, even if it was just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Machete View Post
    I don't think so. I mean, sure, Grotle was much stronger, but Rhyperior was far better. Grotle attacked when it was creating Rock Wrecker, and later when it was recharging. Rhyperior needed to recharge, but when it was back at full power, it stopped Grotle and OHKO'd it. Even if Grotle had used Razor Leaf, it wouldn't have defeated Rhyperior. And even if Rhyperior had fallen, I don't think that that would've been enough.
    I never said that Grotle could have defeated Rhyperior. At this stage that would have seemed really DEM. No, what I meant is Grotle could have done serious damage if he had used razor leaf to push Rhyperior out of the cliff. After all, game-wise Rhyperior's sp. defense is much lower than his defense stat. So obviously r-leaf should have done more damage than r-climb. But then again, it's the anime we are talking about.

Ooh, Movie 11 BGM!

You know, maybe from now on whoever faces Ash should just use a super move on Grotle's head. Doing that seem to OHKO him....twice this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Alchemist View Post
    Rock Polish. It makes the sme effect as Agility.
    Darn I thought we'd see some CGI polish on Rhyperior's body.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

Did palmer revealed that he was in the johto bf?

wow epic battle, well atleast that's what it sounds like can't wait for the dub, or atleast finding a sub
    In Game Name:SUJEETH
    FC: DIAMOND 4082-2431-8243
    PLATNUIM 0474-6685-1342
    Soul Silver: Too lazy to type right now.

Check out my Youtube Channel, Where I post Pokemon battles! http://www.youtube.com/user/DuelingMastery

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    I think your reading abit too much into that, all they showed was the end of the fight, and Ash didn't seem very thoughtful or enthusiastic when it ended, so i doubt it means anything.
    He lost what did you expect? Besides Ash wouldn't remember his full battle with Paul if it didn't have meaning to it. The writers just don't throw "important" details like that willy nilly. If there was no indication of a tactic here, then there would be no point in bringing up his loss to Paul. And we sure as hell don't need to be reminded of his full battle with Paul every time he loses.

Some people are under the assumption it was infact Overgrow, triggered by the combination of both Rhyperior's megahorn and Grotle's energy ball backlash causing enough damage to kick it in.

Of course until someone who can translate japanese explains detail to detail what happened in the battle, one can not be certain of what happened.

I have to say though it is rather ironic that Grotle's rock climb, a normal move seemed to do more damage to Rhyperior than it's grass attacks did, thought that was rather funny but at the same time seriously they made Solid Rock abit overpowering, since Grotle's grass attacks should've done some damage, even if it was just a little bit.
    Strangely in the specific case I disagree with the Overgrow talk, I mean I admit the preview did make it seem like over grow, but then my idea of Energy ball having a secondary anime logic effect seems to hold true.

For one thing you don't even hear "Overgrow" being mentioned, I listened for the Japanese name for overgrow but what did I hear instead.?"Energy Ball Powaa Upa" Okay joking about the improper grammar but yes all I heard was "Power Up" and "Energy Ball" but I didn't hear "Shinryoku" which is Overgrow in Japanese. It's possible it was mentioned, but again Energy ball and Power up was the only recognizable thing I could hear. But then again the Japanese isn't known to have clear enunciated words (music being too damn loud for one thing sometimes). I can never figure out what Meowth is saying, because of his accent (unless it obvious like "Hikozaru" and stuff like that).

So I think it was just an anime logic tactic that isn't in the games because of obvious technical limits.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 3rd September 2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Proper Japanese name for Overgrow
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

I never said that Grotle could have defeated Rhyperior. At this stage that would have seemed really DEM. No, what I meant is Grotle could have done serious damage if he had used razor leaf to push Rhyperior out of the cliff. After all, game-wise Rhyperior's sp. defense is much lower than his defense stat. So obviously r-leaf should have done more damage than r-climb. But then again, it's the anime we are talking about.
    In Platinum,(and probably the other Pokemon games) Razor Leaf is a Physical based move. I don't know how, but that is what it says in Pokemon Platinum. And Ashs Grotle's moves (except Energy Ball probably) where ll Physical based and you said that Rhyperior's Defense stat is higher than its Special Defense stat.

Energy Ball did nothing at all against Rhyperior, being a Special Attack AND having a higher base power. Yeah, Grotle was powered up thanks to Overgrow (or whatever-the-hell-that-was), but I don't think that that would've been enough. Rhyperior's Defense stat is huge.

Just because:

- A show off Dragonite? I thought they were majestic and serious. Palmer's team so far: Dragonite, Milotic (Movie 12), Rhyperior
    - Dawn pushes Ash. She's obviously in love with him -writes shipping fanfic-
    - Dawn wants to battle Palmer? Since when does she care about battles?
    - As disturbing as it sounds, I would have smiled if Brock stabbed Croagunk in the butt with a fork and dragged him off while he was watching that female Croagunk
    - Glameow and Umbreon appeal..ooh pretty..yeah..who cares
    - Johanna and Palmer talk..too...much
    - Was Palmer eating an Octillery? Check out the sign on Team Rocket's food stand
    - Barry: DADDY?! LMAO..never gets old
    - Which pokemon is your mascot, Brock? Croagunk or Happiny? Pick one to follow you and promote HGSS' stalker-poke feature you can't keep switching between both!
    - The tournement: What tournement?
    - Barry makes it to the final round but loses to Ash. Trivia: Pikachu beats two of the water starters strongest forms in this "tournement", Feraligatr and Empoleon
    - Dawn's mad..those poor Octillery..
    - OMG even Piplup's eating a member of it's own egg group (I think..)
    - So how exactly did Dawn and Brock lose? Did Ash beat them? Barry?
    - Is the old, fat, recurring Twinleaf resident really necessary?
    - Energy ball doesn't effect Rhyperior at all due to solid rock. It does 4X damage without solid rock, shouldn't it at least do 2X with it? Games =/= anime. Even further proof
    - Barry is proud of his "DADDY?!"
    - Rock polish makes Rhyperior's armor glow red and turns it into Sonic the Hedgehog
    - Rhyperior uses sand tomb(or storm) and hits Grotle with a rock wrecker. Grotle recovers with synthesis and escapes the vortex with razor leaf.
    - Rhyperior gets horny and makes Grotle eat it. Oh I wish I was kidding
    - Grotle goes Super Saiyan and what just happened is explained. Dawn says she's going to use this strategy..what what's she going to do? Have Piplup swallow whirlpool? Mamoswine swallow ice shard?
    - Does any one else love Grotle's epic, thick line moments? RAWWWWRRRRRRR
    - Grotle's new strength creates hills for him to use rock climb on and also sends the 1000+ Lbs Rhyperior flying after being struck by said rock climb.
    - Grotle becomes a powerhouse, you can't deny that. He has the strongest Frontier Brain's Rhyperior gasping for it's breath and it drops to it's *** knees at the end of the battle. I doubt this is the last we'll see of energy ball eating given they didn't forget counter sheild or that spinning dodge technique.
    - A final rock wrecker smashed over Grotle's head finally finished it off. This shows getting rather violent these days
    - Ash gets the trophy any way
    - Still killing those Octillery eh Barry?
    - Barry karaoke
    - Good news to every one who was hoping Monferno would appear. It does in a flashback to Ash vs Paul
    - Heading to Surien and the Sunnyshore. KTHXBI
    Last edited by thunderblade12; 4th September 2009 at 9:28 AM.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

I thought the episode was very good and for me the best of this whole tein leaf festival thingy

Mime jr appeared again omg it's been like 10 episodes since we've seen it
    Woo Croagunk confirmed as a male - possibly done at the croagunk festival
    Palmer shwing off his dragonite great
    The only bad thing about the ep was how rushed the battles in the tournament were like they could have at least shown the semi final battles and kept the montage for the preliminaries
    I almost screamed with joy when they played the Battle Frontier music
    The grotle vs rhyperior battle was absolutely epic
    Overgrow was really cool
    Thank god Ash lost it would have been wrong to make him beat Palmer lol
    Cool how Dawn is gonna use dat strategy with her pokemon in contests
    They referenced the full battle with Paul which is always good
    Yes Sunnyshore city here we come..................agter we play some more johto pokemon lol

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

This could have been a great series of battles had it been a two-parter. Yet while what we got of Ash vs. Palmer was good, it seemed like it wasn't properly built up, with the quick flashes of each preceeding battle being a major factor. Yes, playing Battle Frontier DOES make everything better, yet couldn't come close to salvaging it. Ah well, at least Rubber Suit Brick Jewelry Rhydon (a.k.a. Rhyperior) is a cool guy.

I'm personally okay with Palmer essentially being an adult Barry personality-wise. They sort of did the "over-excitable adult male" thing already with Wake and Byron, but I don't think it's worn of its amusement quite yet. (Note that I am under the assumption that "Palmer" is the acid-induced fusion of "Paul" and "Wailmer".)

I honestly didn't care for this Twinleaf Festival arc on the whole, even if it did mean meeting an exciting cast of both new and old characters. They were all average-at-best episodes. I only fear that in the midst of promoting Johto all over again, the quality of the episodes themselves has also become a Johto mirror image. 'Tis the great Johto conspiracy.
    Thank you for all the fantastic times, Serebii Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12
    - Energy ball doesn't effect Rhyperior at all due to solid rock. It does 4X damage without solid rock, shouldn't it at least do 2X with it? Games =/= anime. Even further proof
    I'm actually kinda scared of how they premoted that ability to be honest, Rhyperior should've taken some damage from the blows even if it wasn't much.

- Grotle goes Super Saiyan and what just happened is explained. Dawn says she's going to use this strategy..what what's she going to do? Have Piplup swallow whirlpool? Mamoswine swallow ice shard?
    She'll probably end up losing if she does that, i agree that i can't see how any other pokemon could captilize from doing that(i gonna laugh if dawn does do it with Mamoswine and ends up losing her next contest cause of it), and heck it's not like Ash's other pokemon exactly have big mouths to swallow thier own moves, and the two flyers don't have projectile attacks at all.

I think they might have done this for Grotle since unlike the others it doesn't battle in Ash's normal style (using speed) I doubt the others will be given such things like this.

This is of course assuming it wasn't overgrow.

lol Grotle swallows

Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12 View Post

- As disturbing as it sounds, I would have smiled if Brock stabbed Croagunk in the butt with a fork and dragged him off while he was watching that female Croagunk
    As disturbing as it sounds, I would have smiled too.. Seriously the moment was just asking for it to happen. Who knows the writers probably wanted us to think of that.
    On Nov 21, 2010, I'm going on vacation. I'm going to a country to visit two friends and a grumpy oldtimer who are awaiting my return.

I like how Dawn went "WHAT? WHY DON'T YOU USE BUIZEL?!?!" when Grotle was called out.

This episode was great.I like how grotle swallowed the energy ball and got super sayain lol.If grotle was in overgrow and swalled the ball would he become super sayain 2?lol.ANd how is dawn going to train doing that?Have piplup swallow a bubble beam?

Wonder if we'll ever meet the trainer of the female Croagunk?
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

An episode showing off ADD Lad's Creepy-As-Hell father? What could wrong, you ask? NOTHING! ...unless you read other people's comments about the episode before writing a summary, which is what I did.

-AshnCo(and ADD Lad) are still wandering around the festival grounds, accompanied by Creepy As Hell Lad.
    -The Trenchcoated Menace shows off Puff the Mentally Handicapped Dragon to an eager crowd. Ash is impressed. Well, I never said the boy had high standards.
    -Ash seems to think that now is the best time to ask for a battle. I suppose he had to actually see a Pokemon that Sleezy Eyes had for his "ask for battle NOW" instinct to trigger. Dawn also wants to battle, for some bizarre reason. Too bad for them that they can't battle Palmer unless they win the tournement tomorrow; Ash will be so crushed when he loses to Dawn in the fnal match.
    -ADD Lad is very very proud of how awesome his dad is. Creepy As Hell Lad has no problem with his son talking him up.
    -Generic "chilling at Dawn's house before the BIG DAY" scene. Yawn.
    -Ash is shocked that Brock's going to be DOING SOMETHING this episode. Well, I think we all are, Ash, I think we all are.
    -Croagunk is still awesome, by the way.
    -Yes yes Johanna is a Top Coordinator, that's very nice. Now, about those battles...
    -Haha, Palmer(believe or not, I CAN call him by his proper name) isn't there. I guess I can't blame him for eating octopus-shaped...something...back at the fairgrounds, courtesy of Team Rocket.
    -"DADDY?!" I want Palmer and Jun to stick around forever, because that's never going to get old.
    -Haha, the kids are lecturing the older man to be responsible! It's funny because it's a reversal of the situation you'd usually expect!
    -Haha, Creepy Stalker-Looking Guy completely forgot about his major event today! It's funny because he's easily distracted! Or maybe he's just high, what with his lazy eyes and how much he looooooves that food.
    -BATTLE. FRONTIER. HELL. YES. They could have made that the OP forever and I wouldn't have cared, I tells ya. Too bad the battle montage they played it over is the entire freaking tournement, plus some other crap. On the bright side, Dawn seems to be starting to talk like Jun. Do not resist, all shall be assimilated into the comforting pace of ADD Lad.
    -Blah blah boring words that are eating up valuable battle time blah blah GANGAN SUSUME KAZE KITTE! GANGEN IKUZE SAIGO MATTE! GANZEN NANSHO YES I'M OKAY! OH YEAH! DONDON POW...I'll stop now. I'm probably getting the lyrics wrong anyway.
    -Ash's opponent is: Ugly! (but still awesome, unlike, say, Magmortar, which is just ugly. And obese.)
    -Ash demonstrates his one true talent in life by spending a full 30 seconds considering what Pokemon would be best against Rhyperior. Please, refrain from applause until the battle is over.
    -Grotle starts the match off with energy ball which does...jack ****. The writers are getting so many angry letters about how this completely defies game mechanics and blah blah why doesn't Ash catch everything blah blah what the hell happened to Staraptor argh argh Pikachu should evolve already argle spargle. Seriously now, Hard Rock is annoying, but it doesn't make Rhyperior invincible. Well, in the games anyway. I can see what it makes Rhyperior into in the anime...
    -Holy hell Rhyperior is fast for a giant rock Pokemon. Palmer must be following the Ash school of training, where everything is fast or else it doesn't get used. (the current exception being Grotle, for some strange reason) Or maybe it just used Rock Polish. Maybe.
    -Grotle Razor Leafed a Sandstorm away? Well okay then!
    -Grotle swallows its own Energy Ball. Insert your own innuendo here, because this is a classy bullet point review and I don't do unclassy things like make sexual jokes about people(or in this case, Pokemon) swallowing their own energy balls.
    -Grotle takes a level in badass(TV Tropes page not linked to save you all hours of going to one page, seeing ten other interesting pages, going to all of those, then snapping back to reality five hours later with dinner burnt and various work not done ten minutes before it's time to go to work/school), and how. Jun does the usual "nandatendayo" thing, but he seems more impressed than annoyed for once. Well, considering that Grotle did just make a bunch of high rocks from nothing and climb up them with such force that Rhyperior was blown back several feet...
    -Then Rhyperior makes another big rock and smashes Grotle with it so hard that the newly created cliffs crumble back to dust. Yeah, that's a KO if I ever saw one.
    -ADD Lad is very proud of his Daddy.
    -And I mean very proud.
    -Dawn takes the opportunity to brag about her mom too. Ash...well, Delia's nothing to write home about, unless there's suddenly a Pokemon Cooking competition, and his dad is Never To Be Named, so, uh, yeah. He flashes back to his full battle with Paul instead.
    -That music cue...could it be...POKEMON ONDO?
    -Looks like Jun's as excited as I am!
    -And now he's singing it. I demand an mp3 of this(with AshnCo's talking muted out) post haste.
    -The Sexual-Predator-Haired Terror suggests that the gang head to Sunyshore, presumably because he knows that Ash got the other seven badges and that's the only gym left for him to go to.
    -...is that MIME JR? It's STILL ALIVE? This changes everything. (fun fact:For a moment I thought it was Mime Jr who was supposed to be back with James' grandparents or whoever they were(instead of Chimecho, who was left there while James got Mime Jr in the same episode). His Pokemon seem to blur together now that he never does anything with any of them anymore.)
    -Yawn, generic closing remarks, narrator coming in...
    -*SCREECH* HERE COMES THE JUNMOBILE!
    -Jun's heading the same way, but not traveling with the gang. BOOOOOOOOOOO. We demand more Jun! His ADD Lad-ness makes life worth living!
    -Oak's lecture is on Suicune. I wonder why?!
    Last.fm
    ~~~

Yes, that is a lego Freddie Mercury.

Fairly entertaining battle that shows that Ash is getting better with his selection. One thing that stands out, though, is that Grotle's moveset is just down-right boring. Energy Ball, Razor Leaf, Rock Climb, Synthesis. They really need to add something to mix things up a bit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast