Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Challenging A Towering Figure! (609)

Good episode overall, and nice to know that Volker is going to be a depressed bugger in the show, like in the games.

Im not going to say anything about the episode as everyone has covered everything twice or thrice times but I wanted to note something.

This is now episode 36 of season 3 of sinnoh and in 16 episodes it will be season 4 and we wont be reached sunnyshore by then so this is how I see it. As palmer described it as the sinnoh frontier today I hypothisize this. In season 4 we will see the last gym battle, the remaining contest(s), the grand festival the sinnoh league + all the sinnoh facilities. Brace yourselves ladies, gentlemen and children because season 4 of sinnoh is gonna be out of this world!
    Loves every part of pokemon, loves the movies, the anime and every game, so you could call me fan lol.

Apparently i'm a...

Favourite Pokemon: but i like them all

It was probably left out of the dub. A dubbing error.

I don't know if it's an important point to mention, but it looks like the episode worked without Overgrow.
    It wasn't Overgrow, so it wasn't a dubbing error - you'll see why when Dawn begins challenging for her next contest. For now, lets just call it the super awesome energy ball power up that gives Grotle super awesome battles.

I was a little disappointed that "Battle Frontier" wasn't replaced with "Unbeatable" but the guitar instrumental was pretty good too, better than most of the dub's background music. The music when Grotle charges at Rhyperior is iffy though. I'm insanely curious as to what song Barry was singing. I lol'd at Palmer's reaction "He can be a handful sometimes".
    Last edited by Shinnie-tan; 23rd January 2010 at 11:25 PM.
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites" - Karen. Ilu so much ;;

Ships I ship: Advancedshipping, SilverxYellow, Collideshipping, Jadeshipping, Luckyshipping, Chosenshipping, Respectshipping
    OTPS: Palletshipping/Originalshipping, Pikashipping, Preciousmetalshipping
    OT3s: Prismshipping

Was a good episode and gave some information about future events that the Japanese version actually failed to do:
    1) Volkner is depressed (similar to the games)
    2) That Palmer is the Tower Tycoon of the Sinnoh Battle Frontier not the Johto one so we can expect the filler arc to be spent on Battle Island and not in Johto.

"He can be a handful sometimes." LOL

was a awesome episode

i really liked wend Grotle created a mini mauntain and then Rhyperior smash it whit rock wreckeler.
    Last edited by Linkdarkside; 24th January 2010 at 12:37 AM.
    Platinum
    FC: 4082 -5563- 0656

A very very good episode indeed.

There was only one moment which really had me get upset and I want to start with that: All the tournament battles being so extremely rushed sure was annoying and redundant. I mean, why not make two episodes if you have story as promising as today's one? This painfully reminds me of the old Hoenn days when they also rushed May's contest battles in the same terrible way. Considering how brilliant Sinnoh has been so far, I just don't get why they did it again.

But apart from that, it was really a great, thrilling episode.
    In the following I want to point out two aspects which seemed most important to me:

A)
    1. Today's episode undoubtedly proved that Palmer is inferior to the great Cynthia and really can't hold a candle to her,just as I already said last week.
    a)The fact alone that he said things like "This is what you've been waiting for: Palmer has returned" and the way he was bragging and posing in front of the festival visitors was proof enough to verify my theory.
    b)Moreover, there was his goofy clumsy behavior at Team Rocket's booth and when saw it I absolutely had to agree with Dawn who asked Barry whether he was sure that his father was a champion. No he's not!!
    c)Last but not least, Palmer didn't exactly knock my socks off during the battle either. For the leader of the frontier brains, his performance was pretty underwhelming if you ask me.

And now here is how Her Majesty Cynthia would have reacted in the exact same scenes (and I didn't make that up, but inferred it from her behavior in previous episodes. So, the following arguments are logical through and through)
    a) Never, repeat, NEVER would she have bragged with her skills like that arrogant Palmer did. She would have been humble all the time and most likely wouldn't even have announced that she was there in the first place. THAT'S how a REAL champion behaves. Making no fuss over themselves at all while being aware of their skills in secret. That's the only demeanor which is worth of a true master like my dear Cynthia
    b)There's no need to mention that Cynthia would never have behaved as ridiculously as Palmer did at that booth, quite apart from him forgetting the tournament. This just shows that such commercial and private organizations like the Battle Frontier obviously have to rely upon second or third best battlers who presumably don't take their jobs all too seriously. Anyways, you would never have seen Cynthia in such an embarrassing situation. That's for sure!
    c)And now the most convincing argument: Garchomp would have defeated Grotle with one hit regardless of his power boost while not even taking the slightest damage. Neither that Rhyperior nor his trainer who is supposed to be the strongest of the Frontier Brains were that powerful and awe-inspiring. Cynthia would have defeated him WITH EASE.
    This episode makes me think that in a ranking Palmer would probably only come fifth after Her Majesty, Lance, Brandon and Lucian.

To cut a long story short: I just can't get to like that Palmer because he failed to live up to my expectations and therefore is no match for the REAL champions.

B)
    The second aspect I'd like to point out is that I was truly delighted and almost even fascinated by Ash today. He proved himself to be a really skilled and advanced trainer twice, first when he was pondering whether Palmer would have a secret strategy against fast opponents and then when he was thinking about the reason for Paul's strength despite the fact that the latter doesn't show any signs of respect for his Pokemon at all. There was a touch of philosophy especially in that flashback scene and I definitely appreciated that Ash came up with such profound ideas and thoughts today. Just awesome! Remember it, writers! This is the Ash we want to see every week. Got me?

Despite that one point of criticism, it was an excellent episode which was exciting from the beginning to the end!

8 out of 10 points
    ASH FOR THE WIN!
    Pokémon veteran since 1999

Words of wisdom from Serebii Chat:
    [01:37] <Brainless> I hate the WORLD.
    [01:37] <Trainer_Trixie> trade your soul on wifi

maybe the snorlax in the "slideshow" of battles before ash vs. palmer was barry's? if you look at the matchups before ash vs. barry you won't see any staraptors/roserades/empoleons/heracrosses, meaning one of the other pokemon has to be barry's, my guess is its his snorlax (further proof is that barry's face appears on the left side of the top of the tourny bracket against ash, meaning his battle was one of the first half, and snorlax was in the first "clip" of the "slideshow")

ash_forever, Cynthia has absolutely nothing to do with this episode. Please stop making these ridiculous comparisons at every opportunity.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

This episode was great. It was cool to see a Rhyperior and Rock Polish, and Rock Wrecker.
    My First Ever Level 100 Team:
    My Current Level 100 Team: ;598; ;635;
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries(also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box
    and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (^started by SapphireL!)

Oh my gosh, Ash forever can you say biased? Really.. that wasn't really objective analyzing at all

Do you know that some people just have a habit of being flashy but being skilled at the same time? Just take a look at John Fruciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. On stage he is moaning and it basically looks like he's humping his guitar, but it sounds like nothing else these days. Did you notice that while Grotle received its power up, Palmer did not flinch, and when Grotle was out performing Rhyperior, that he calmly told Rhyperior to use Rock Wrecker?

Evenmore so, he used very good strategic moves: Sandstorm and Rock Polish. We have only seen Cynthia your queen.. use attacking moves, just to overpower her opponents. Not once has she not ordered a major powerhouse attack. Using tactic over mere brawns is what makes you a champion. Yes Cynthia is the champion but Palmer's no push over.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

I do wonder though supposing Ash rebattles him later on.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Dartzap View Post
    Good episode overall, and nice to know that Volker is going to be a depressed bugger in the show, like in the games.
    That was stated or hinted at what so ever.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

Wow great Episode.. loved all the music!

Great Battle, though I thoguht Ash was gonna pull off the win..but never count out anyone!

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    That was stated or hinted at what so ever.
    Palmer: "Because with your battling skills, and I think you could give quite a shock to Sunnyshores Gym Leader"

Me thinks that says it all, really, Volkner need a shock due to snore-inducing trainers

Why is it Ash pretty much forgets everything he has ever done? He get's all excited about A frontier Brain as if he has never been offered the chance to be one himself and the Narrator goes on about what it might be like to see how a frontier brain battles... :\
    Favorite Pokemon: Mew and Charmander because they win at life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartzap View Post
    Palmer: "Because with your battling skills, and I think you could give quite a shock to Sunnyshores Gym Leader"

Me thinks that says it all, really, Volkner need a shock due to snore-inducing trainers
    Maybe Volkner is depressed. You are right, Palmer said that Ash's battling skills would shock Volkner or maybe he just said that because of the word "shock".
        Spoiler:- My Pokémon Teams & Video Game Identities:

Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

This episode was good and funny too! I rate it 7/10
    Does anyone know what song Barry was singing at the end in the dub?
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Quote Originally Posted by K-B-K View Post
    Why is it Ash pretty much forgets everything he has ever done? He get's all excited about A frontier Brain as if he has never been offered the chance to be one himself and the Narrator goes on about what it might be like to see how a frontier brain battles... :\
    Maybe Ash was just excited to be able to fight one in Sinnoh as opposed to Kanto.

He didn't forget, I think he was being a good-sport.

I want to know how Johanna's Pokemon gained the ability to fly. Quick Attack does not equal Ariel Ace. The tournament was really rushed. The first time Brock does something in ages and the only thing they show is his Sudowoodo defeating a Furret (Johto promotions!)

I really wish we could have seen more of Ash and Barry's battle, but Ash did have type advantage so it wouldn't have been that exciting. I was thinking they could have made this episode a two part episode, but I suppose it all fit into one episode well.

The battle between Ash and Palmer was great. I think that was the first time Rock Polish was shown in the anime. It was also great to see Rock Climb again and how powerful it has gotten (Grotle made a mountain with those claws of his!)

Anyway, it was obvious Ash would lose, but it was still a good battle. Barry was comedy gold as always and I hope we get to see him face off against his father one of these days.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

hi please is milktank used vs dragonite like in the games?

hi please is milktank used vs dragonite like in the games?

Palmer does not have miltank! Stop dang asking! He never had one!
        Spoiler:- My Pokémon Teams & Video Game Identities:

Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Quote Originally Posted by talala View Post
    maybe the snorlax in the "slideshow" of battles before ash vs. palmer was barry's? if you look at the matchups before ash vs. barry you won't see any staraptors/roserades/empoleons/heracrosses, meaning one of the other pokemon has to be barry's, my guess is its his snorlax (further proof is that barry's face appears on the left side of the top of the tourny bracket against ash, meaning his battle was one of the first half, and snorlax was in the first "clip" of the "slideshow")
    i like how everyone ignored this on the last page... it shows an interesting point

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    Palmer does not have miltank! Stop dang asking! He never had one!
    i know he didnt. i was asking if ash used his (i got confused between that and tauros)

Quote Originally Posted by K1O2T3O4R5 View Post
    i know he didnt. i was asking if ash used his (i got confused between that and tauros)
    Well he didn't. It was Ash's Grotle against Palmer's Rhyperior, with Rhyperior winning.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast