It's been over a week since I've seen this, but my memory of this ep is still sharp, so I can still make a summary about this... I hope...
- To conclude the Twinleaf Festival, Joannah is going to hold a trainer tournament in which the winner of the tournament will get the privilege to fight against Palmer, a Sinnoh Frontier Brain.
- There's just one "tiny" little problem:
Where the %&$@ is Palmer?!!
- Actually, he's at the Octillery Snack Stand, buying & chomping on them like they've gone out of style. It's good news for TR, on the other hand...
- So... Ash & co haul themselves over to him to remind him of this event. Some Frontier Brain Palmer is...
- Now the tournament can begin, with some flashy demonstrations from Joannah's Pokemon.
- & we fast forward over to Ash's imminent victory over everyone else.
- Okay, now we can get to the meat of this: The fight between Ash & Palmer!
- Grotle VS Rhyperior! Fight to the death, dammit!!
- Grotle begins this fight with an Energy Ball. It connected, but it did virtually nothing. That's because Rhyperior has to have Solid Rock as his ability!
- To add insult to injury, Rhyperior also has Rock Polish, which makes him faster than a Ninjask on Meth.
- With all of that said, Grotle is on the ropes, even though Rhyperior has Rock Wrecker, which is an SPC.
- Still, even though he's in a middle of a sandstorm, Grotle manages to recover with Synthesis.
- Rhyperior charges straight at him with a Megahorn. Grotle preps another Energy Ball...
- ...which gets knocked back into his mouth, with rather drastic results.
- What actually happened is that Grotle powers up, in a "gouge your eyes" fest-worthy spectacle.
- Grotle manages to push against Rhyperior in full force with Rock Climb. Rhyperior is struggling to keep him at bay.
- Rhyperior then unleashes another Rock Wrecker, which he brings down onto Grotle, thus squashing his skull like a wet paper bag.
- In spite of this defeat, Ash still gets the trophy for winning against all the other amateurs.
- They now plan on heading to Sunyshore, to fight against Volkner. Barry also has that exact plan, & thus vamooses ahead of the rest of the gang.
- Things are also looking up for TR as well, as the manager is pleased with their performance, & thus has given them a hefty bonus along with their regular paychecks. TR is most likely going, "Yay!! We actually have money in our bank accounts!"
Man, the aftermath of the war in this was one of the biggest upsets in the history of the anime. Still, I've come up with an alternate strategy against him. What Ash could've done is utilized Monferno & his Dig to weaken the area that Rhyperior is standing on, & by the time he finds out what's going on he'll most likely fall into the pit that Monferno has created. If that doesn't kill him, he'll be trapped inside the pit, seeing as that Rhyperior most likely weighs a ton or so.
See, people? I can still remember key parts of this episode even after a week's time. Now, onwards to the next one!