Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Challenging A Towering Figure! (609)

ash_forever... wow. You're obviously not worth taking seriously with the outrageous obsession with Cynthia (Her Majesty? Seriously?) but still. This needs addressed, because in general many anime fans (of any anime, not just pokemon) have this obsession with the stock "cool, enigmatic" types. But whoever else said it is right: Palmer is simply flashy. He's not arrogant, and he never once bragged about who he was. He was putting on a show. He was getting the people excited. Ever watched a football game? See how much people cheer? Yeah. Entertainment is good for the soul. Working up some good ol' fashioned cheering is something I think more famous trainers need to do more often.

Also, how do you know Cynthia isn't arrogant or prideful? Think of Paul - he's quiet and contained most of the time, and yet we know that it's because he's condescending towards everyone else. Perhaps Cynthia keeps herself contained and doesn't go all out and brag and what not because she simply thinks that she is better than everyone else and so there is no point in bragging - she thinks she's better and so she looks down on everyone else. Am I saying this is what I think about Cynthia? No. I'm simply offering another point of view. It could happen.

Personally, I love more vibrant trainers like Palmer. He's more interesting to watch, and he is NOT arrogant. He didn't brag! He may be scatter-brained, but so what? It makes him more human, more enjoyable. He has personality. He knows how to have fun. I can identify with him a lot better than I can with Cynthia.

Just my thoughts.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Karen, Final member of GSC Elite 4.

If you battle using your favorite Pokémon simply because they're you faves, copy and paste this into your sig.
    -Started by Lucario Master Chris

There is no "Water Pokemon Curse." It is fanmade speculation by those who are freakishly obsessed with evolution. So... to get everyone straight... ASH'S WATER POKEMON CAN EVOLVE IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT!!! If they don't evolve then they don't want to and if you got a problem with it too bad for you. Find something else to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by KantoChamp46 View Post
    ash_forever... wow. You're obviously not worth taking seriously with the outrageous obsession with Cynthia (Her Majesty? Seriously?) but still. This needs addressed, because in general many anime fans (of any anime, not just pokemon) have this obsession with the stock "cool, enigmatic" types. But whoever else said it is right: Palmer is simply flashy. He's not arrogant, and he never once bragged about who he was. He was putting on a show. He was getting the people excited. Ever watched a football game? See how much people cheer? Yeah. Entertainment is good for the soul. Working up some good ol' fashioned cheering is something I think more famous trainers need to do more often.

Also, how do you know Cynthia isn't arrogant or prideful? Think of Paul - he's quiet and contained most of the time, and yet we know that it's because he's condescending towards everyone else. Perhaps Cynthia keeps herself contained and doesn't go all out and brag and what not because she simply thinks that she is better than everyone else and so there is no point in bragging - she thinks she's better and so she looks down on everyone else. Am I saying this is what I think about Cynthia? No. I'm simply offering another point of view. It could happen.

Personally, I love more vibrant trainers like Palmer. He's more interesting to watch, and he is NOT arrogant. He didn't brag! He may be scatter-brained, but so what? It makes him more human, more enjoyable. He has personality. He knows how to have fun. I can identify with him a lot better than I can with Cynthia.

Just my thoughts.
    I agree completley. The show would so boring if all we had were the cliche cool and calm trainers. Exciting trainers are needed for balance. Palmer and Cynthia are both great characters and powerful trainers.
    Last edited by Swampert_trainer; 25th January 2010 at 3:25 AM.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

Quote Originally Posted by Dartzap View Post
    Palmer: "Because with your battling skills, and I think you could give quite a shock to Sunnyshores Gym Leader"

Me thinks that says it all, really, Volkner need a shock due to snore-inducing trainers
    It's more of a reference to his type preference.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    It's more of a reference to his type preference.

That's how I took it...a hint at the type of Pokemon used at that gym. People forget they already went the "depressed gym leader" route with Maylene. I don't think they'll use it again with Volkner.
    Proposed Alpha Sapphire Team

???

Quote Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
    That's how I took it...a hint at the type of Pokemon used at that gym. People forget they already went the "depressed gym leader" route with Maylene. I don't think they'll use it again with Volkner.
    Maylene was depressed because she was unsure of herself and her status. In games Volkner was depressed because there wasn't any worthy challanges and battles for a long time. They're not the same.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, *******, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

I liked the episode. Good battle between Ash and Palmer. It was nice to see Rhypherior in the episode as well.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 2105-8824-8167
    PM me if you add me so I can add you

My Friend Safari (Water): Bibarel , Gyarados , Azumarill

Safaris I am looking for with these Pokemon:
    1. Drifblim
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Heracross
    4. Whirlipede
    5. Gothorita
    6. Forretress
    7. Sigilyph

I thought it was funny how towards the end of the episode Barry was talking about how having a skilled parent makes a child want to strive for greatness and how Dawn nodded and agreed. Then they got a close up on Ash and for a second I didn't know what he was going to say. I kind of expected something like "I wish I could say I knew what you guys were talking about..." but instead it seemed liked he just blocked out their conversation and decided to think about Paul. No surprise, it's not like Ash could talk about Delia inspiring him with her skills or anything. Well, unless cleaning was a goal Ash decided to strive for.
    I've officially claimed Swampert!

lol cleaning. Yeah I thought that as well when that convo was on even Brock in a way could understand because Flint was a gym leader at one point even though Brock took over and I felt kinda sorry for Ash then, I liked Palmer though I hope we see him again if Ash goes for the Sinnoh Battle frontier and I also liked his battle with Ash as well

I feel like Ash could've won the battle if he used a grass type move against Rhyperior after he swallowed the Energy Ball...Was it confirmed that Grotle activated overgrow? OR was it just a boost in power? In the dub, everyone was confused at to what was going on...But if he activated Overgrow, I wish he would've used either razor leaf or energy ball....Or he would've won...Instead of using rock climb you know...But the battle and the episode was pretty good...

Dawn think there's no need to worry...lol

No it wasn't Overgrow.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

It's been over a week since I've seen this, but my memory of this ep is still sharp, so I can still make a summary about this... I hope...

- To conclude the Twinleaf Festival, Joannah is going to hold a trainer tournament in which the winner of the tournament will get the privilege to fight against Palmer, a Sinnoh Frontier Brain.
    - There's just one "tiny" little problem:
    Where the %&$@ is Palmer?!!
    - Actually, he's at the Octillery Snack Stand, buying & chomping on them like they've gone out of style. It's good news for TR, on the other hand...
    - So... Ash & co haul themselves over to him to remind him of this event. Some Frontier Brain Palmer is...
    - Now the tournament can begin, with some flashy demonstrations from Joannah's Pokemon.
    - & we fast forward over to Ash's imminent victory over everyone else.
    - Okay, now we can get to the meat of this: The fight between Ash & Palmer!
    - Grotle VS Rhyperior! Fight to the death, dammit!!
    - Grotle begins this fight with an Energy Ball. It connected, but it did virtually nothing. That's because Rhyperior has to have Solid Rock as his ability!
    - To add insult to injury, Rhyperior also has Rock Polish, which makes him faster than a Ninjask on Meth.
    - With all of that said, Grotle is on the ropes, even though Rhyperior has Rock Wrecker, which is an SPC.
    - Still, even though he's in a middle of a sandstorm, Grotle manages to recover with Synthesis.
    - Rhyperior charges straight at him with a Megahorn. Grotle preps another Energy Ball...
    - ...which gets knocked back into his mouth, with rather drastic results.
    - What actually happened is that Grotle powers up, in a "gouge your eyes" fest-worthy spectacle.
    - Grotle manages to push against Rhyperior in full force with Rock Climb. Rhyperior is struggling to keep him at bay.
    - Rhyperior then unleashes another Rock Wrecker, which he brings down onto Grotle, thus squashing his skull like a wet paper bag.
    - In spite of this defeat, Ash still gets the trophy for winning against all the other amateurs.
    - They now plan on heading to Sunyshore, to fight against Volkner. Barry also has that exact plan, & thus vamooses ahead of the rest of the gang.
    - Things are also looking up for TR as well, as the manager is pleased with their performance, & thus has given them a hefty bonus along with their regular paychecks. TR is most likely going, "Yay!! We actually have money in our bank accounts!"

Man, the aftermath of the war in this was one of the biggest upsets in the history of the anime. Still, I've come up with an alternate strategy against him. What Ash could've done is utilized Monferno & his Dig to weaken the area that Rhyperior is standing on, & by the time he finds out what's going on he'll most likely fall into the pit that Monferno has created. If that doesn't kill him, he'll be trapped inside the pit, seeing as that Rhyperior most likely weighs a ton or so.

See, people? I can still remember key parts of this episode even after a week's time. Now, onwards to the next one!

Dragenite's voice acting is stupid.
    And Rhypherior sounded like Bowser.

I say this once again: Barry is Annoying!
    Then, Palmers great!

Grotle swallowed an Energy Ball makes me worried.

I think it was a great episode.Well,We know now that the new BF is in Sinnoh.:[ Kinda disappointing.I wanted to see the new BF in Johto.

9.5/10

That's what we have been waiting for...

Quote Originally Posted by BogleDominic Crazy Anime View Post
    Dragenite's voice acting is stupid.
    And Rhypherior sounded like Bowser.

I say this once again: Barry is Annoying!
    Then, Palmers great!

Grotle swallowed an Energy Ball makes me worried.
    Well I think Rhyperior's voice was fine, Dragonite's too.

Grotle didn't use right his Energy Ball, it was very dangerous, but at least it learned an ability as a result of it.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I thought this episode was good and I enjoyed Palmer and Ash's battle. Ash was smart to use Grotle against Rhyperior but in the end it was too much for Grotle to handle. Good episode.

Grotle kicked some serious butt in this battle, despite the fact that he lost. The effects of the swallowing Energy Ball looked awesome. Unfortunately for Grotle, it was 1 Rock Wrecker too many...8/10

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    It's a shame I couldn't see Croagunk's TV star crush.

Huh? It looks like I was right, Ash did receive the trophy for winning the tournament, despite losing to Palmer.

Edit: One thing that stood out to me, was Ash remembering his full battle with Paul, at first I thought it was just because this new tactic could let Grotle beat Honchkrow but then the other losses were shown (except maybe Buizel, I don't recall seeing that one, nor Staraptor's). So it seems to me that the writers do have the full battle in mind, and having Ash find his own non DEM strategy to beat Paul. Well Grotle now has Energy Ball power up, now basically 5 more Pokemon to go or in other words (5 more episodes).
    The only losses in that flashback I remember seeing are Monferno's loss, Grotle's loss and Gliscor's loss.

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction View Post

Peace, Love, and Victory.
    Brock! Use Poison Jab on Croagunk now! Get your revenge!

Dangit! I overlslept and missed the episode before this! Really wanted to see it again, too.

Just watched this episode this morning, finally!

This was an alright episode. Awesome, Dragonite get's another appearance! But, I wish we saw more of it, though. And it's showing off for the crowd, too. One word: AWESOME.

Since when can Glameow and Umbreon fly? That's messed up.

Palmer's not that observant when it comes to battle's he's supposed to do, isn't he? Just pigging out on Octillery snack-thingies...

This episode makes the first episode I've seen and heard of the move "Rock Wrecker". A question about it: It wouldn't happen to be the strongest Rock move, would it?
    Disregard that question, I checked the main site's attack dex, It looks like it is.

I really thought Ash was going to win the battle, but unfortunately, he lost. It looked like it was a close match though. But, he get's the trophy anyway.
    At least Grotle put up an awesome fight, though.

How could Ash not know what Palmer was talking about when he said, "with that battling style of yours I'm sure you'll give Sunnyshore's gym leader quite a "Shock"!"? I may just be paraphrasing there. You'd think traveling all this time he'd do some research on the region to know what the gym leaders are and at least what types they are...
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:
    (</mega/primal)

Ash was so close to defeating Palmer....Pity Rhyperior got him

Good episode, thoroughly enjoyed it. The battle was epic - Grotle performed excellently and I love the whole Energy Ball powerup thing. Nice of Palmer to give Ash the trophy. I thought the episode was a nice end to the Twinleaf Festival-arc; looking forward to the Sunyshore Gym now.
    this hope is treacherous, this daydream is dangerous.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

This episode was cool. It was great that Ash made it all the way to the final battle vs Palmer. It was cool to see Grotle eat Energy ball to power itself up. It was cool to see Croagunk had a crush for the 1st time. Glad to have it confirmed that Croagunk is indeed a male. It was great to see a Rhyperior for the 1st time. Rhyperior is really strong! It was cool to see Rock Wrecker for the 1st time. Too bad the tournament was extremely short... Grotle vs Rhyperior was a very good battle, too bad Rhyperior was too strong and took Grotle down.

70/100

cool episode! Ash vs Palmer..thats just awesome ^^ Palmer is my favorite battletower champion =3
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

There's not a lot I can really say about this episode, except that it sucks that Ash fought a tough battle and still wasn't able to win, but then again it was a Frontier Brain. I've never been big on the battle-heavy episodes, but at least it was made more fun with Barry around, and at least it makes for a decent conclusion to the Twinleaf Festival.

6/10
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 9/15
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Loved barry singing at the end, such a funny character
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456