View Poll Results: What is your favorite anime character from DPP?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ash

10 43.48%
  • Brock

3 13.04%
  • Dawn

10 43.48%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Character Thread

To Weedy Spyze:i guess what you liked about Misty was slapstick humor in Kanto and violent aspect exploding at everyone constantly,so once she calmed down abit she became boring to you disliking way she grew. And i respect that being matter of opinion what is interesting, and what isn't.

But as far as i go i enjoyed in growth through she went as character starting out as short tempered girl exploding over everything trying to cover up her insecurities with temper, with time gradually growing in more mature and confident character over time with various sides of her personality(beside only temper) being explored more still being quirky. Which led to some great character development with Misty gaining sisters respect getting over complex of feeling less worthy, getting over Gyarados fear, growing as water trainer coming in light of more confident and independent person while still having charm,her humor and quirky side being passionate about battling,water pokemon,hobbies etc

I watched Johto recently ago and chronicles and i can say character was equally interesting imo. with different personality traits coming out on surface more.
    She was still sarcastic, girly ,passionate toward battling and water types,witty and timid etc with different personality traits coming out on surface more, instead of just temper which still existed. Yelling at times at others and Ash with difference of being less impulsive compared to early days, and becoming overall more snarky and grungy instead not being so straightforward.

From what i noticed during rewatch main problem was in not just Msty but all characters in general,not receiving enough focus to properly shine. That's why in some Johto episodes you can barely see her interact aside from few lines, its because she was in background not playing any role nor having chance to properly show her qualities. This happens to every character if he is in some episodes sidelined too much(Brock and even Ash had same problem there with writing for Johto being poor due to writers inexperience back than not dividing focus adequately). But generally speaking Misty was still very fun playing of great with several various characters adding to dynamic in Johto. I also liked her hosos and AG appearances being very intriguing finding right balance between tomboyish and girly side.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 13th August 2012 at 5:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    To Weedy Spyze:i guess what you liked about Misty was slapstick humor in Kanto and violent aspect exploding at everyone constantly,so once she calmed down abit she became boring to you disliking way she grew. And i respect that being matter of opinion what is interesting, and what isn't.

But as far as i go i enjoyed in growth through she went as character starting out as short tempered girl exploding over everything trying to cover up her insecurities with temper, with time gradually growing in more mature and confident character over time with various sides of her personality(beside only temper) being explored more still being quirky. Which led to some great character development with Misty gaining sisters respect getting over complex of feeling less worthy, getting over Gyarados fear, growing as water trainer coming in light of more confident and independent person while still having charm,her humor and quirky side being passionate about battling,water pokemon,hobbies etc

I watched Johto recently ago and chronicles and i can say character was equally interesting imo. with different personality traits coming out on surface more.
    She was still sarcastic, girly ,passionate toward battling and water types,witty and timid etc with different personality traits coming out on surface more, instead of just temper which still existed. Yelling at times at others and Ash with difference of being less impulsive compared to early days, and becoming overall more snarky and grungy instead not being so straightforward.

From what i noticed during rewatch main problem was in not just Msty but all characters in general,not receiving enough focus to properly shine. That's why in some Johto episodes you can barely see her interact aside from few lines, its because she was in background not playing any role nor having chance to properly show her qualities. This happens to every character if he is in some episodes sidelined too much(Brock and even Ash had same problem there with writing for Johto being poor due to writers inexperience back than not dividing focus adequately). But generally speaking Misty was still very fun playing of great with several various characters adding to dynamic in Johto. I also liked her hosos and AG appearances being very intriguing finding right balance between tomboyish and girly side.
    I am just curious. How do you know her temper was used to cover up her insecurities? What episode did she say that in? I always thought the temper was for comic relief.

And didn't TRio and Ash receive a massive amount of screen time?
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 13th August 2012 at 5:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I am just curious. How do you know her temper was used to cover up her insecurities? What episode did she say that in? I always thought the temper was for comic relief.

And didn't TRio and Ash receive a massive amount of screen time?
    This seemed obvious to me even without saying.
    Because of sisters downplaying her being viewed as "useless runt" this caused revolt in Misty character wanting to prove that she is better than them which set up ground for leaving gym and later deciding to become water master in first place. Because of this character toughen up feeling inferior to them with confidence being staggered,with temper being used as mask to hide her insecurity and self doubts when compared to "sensational trio". Over time as Misty became more open to Ash and Brock establishing strong friendship,she started to reveal more about her past over time softening up. Thanks to winning Princess festival, coming top 8 in Whirl Cup,being recognized by several trainers as good water trainer which has talent character started to gain more confidence in her own abilities realizing that she isn't in any way inferior than Daisy,Lily and Violet are. Thanks to this she managed to take on later mentor and older sister role to Sakura helping her about same issue with older siblings and when she took over gym at end of Johto getting it back on right track character gained sisters respect , becoming more confident and independent restoring bad relationship she used to have with them in past.

As we can see over course of series Misty learned how to be more patient, level headed as trainer and responsible while remaining quirky and tomboyish.

About other question Ash always got most screen time but because of too many fillers his character suffered at times too from lack of activity when plot was mainly revolved around cotd. As far as TR goes their role started to dwindle during Johto(mr,. Shudo in his interviews even said how they were in danger of being replaced at some point in Johto), which is probably one of reasons why writers decided to start Jessie doing contests in AG with current role not being sustainable enough anymore to support their further stay.

This seemed obvious to me even without saying.
    Because of sisters downplaying her being viewed as "useless runt" this caused revolt in Misty character wanting to prove that she is better than them which set up ground for leaving gym and later deciding to become water master in first place. Because of this character toughen up feeling inferior to them with confidence being staggered,with temper being used as mask to hide her insecurity and self doubts when compared to "sensational trio". Over time as Misty became more open to Ash and Brock establishing strong friendship,she started to reveal more about her past over time softening up. Thanks to winning Princess festival, coming top 8 in Whirl Cup,being recognized by several trainers as good water trainer which has talent character started to gain more confidence in her own abilities realizing that she isn't in any way inferior than Daisy,Lily and Violet are. Thanks to this she managed to take on later mentor and older sister role to Sakura helping her about same issue with older siblings and when she took over gym at end of Johto getting it back on right track character gained sisters respect , becoming more confident and independent restoring bad relationship she used to have with them in past.

As we can see over course of series Misty learned how to be more patient, level headed as trainer and responsible while remaining quirky and tomboyish.

About other question Ash always got most screen time but because of too many fillers his character suffered at times too from lack of activity when plot was mainly revolved around cotd. As far as TR goes their role started to dwindle during Johto(mr,. Shudo in his interviews even said how they were in danger of being replaced at some point in Johto), which is probably one of reasons why writers decided to start Jessie doing contests in AG with current role not being sustainable enough anymore to support their further stay.
    I think her temper for the most part was just comic relief though especially considering the fact that almost every main character got violent at some point. The reason Misty changed in Johto is because they wanted to lower down the violence.

I think her temper for the most part was just comic relief though especially considering the fact that almost every main character got violent at some point. The reason Misty changed in Johto is because they wanted to lower down the violence.
    Change didn't happened in Johto with development coming gradually(like it was with May which woith time slowly becam more confident realizing what she wants to do with life at end of BF). At end of Kanto and in Orange Islands character started to open herself more to Ash and others talking about personal issues and becoming stronger as friend and becoming less violent and impulsive in general with more of her romantic and adventurous side, as well passion for water types and battling coming to expression . While in Johto we saw her becoming more mature, patient and confident creating closer bond with water types which can be evidenced in "For Crying Out Loud!" or "Hook, Line and Stinker!" for example.
    We saw character becoming more timid, self critic and patient which can be evidenced in interactions with several characters like Dorian, Egan or Sakura and way she acted through later half of Johto.

Misty temper never disappeared, still arguing with several characters like Egan, Dorian, Andreas, Ash whenever they got lost and at times with Brock too. Difference compared to Kanto was that she exploded less often, but she always got annoyed at someone stupidity coming up with snarky comments and jokes.
    Issues with rage and selfcontrol, complex of inferiority toward older siblings etc were in reality one of set ups which led to Misty development as character.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 13th August 2012 at 7:01 PM.

Oh wow, I didn't mean to start a debate or anything lol. I don't mind though, I'll try and explain the best I can?

First of all keep in mind that it's been over a decade since I've really watched the anime, so I'm not gonna claim my memory is perfect about anything or whatever. Yeah, I did like the slapstick humor and tempor flares. They were pretty entertaining. I remember one scene (I think it was in Johto) when Brock was doing his usual thing with flirting with some random female COTW, and Misty pulls a giant hammer out of nowhere and bashes his head with it. I thought that was completely hilarious. I wish I knew what episode that was. I don't mind character development of course but with Misty it just seems like she got less entertaining as time goes on, and her whole role in the show just turned into being "the girl" I guess. I can't really explain it too well, like I said it's been over a decade since I've watched the anime regularly. But hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say here.

My all time favorite character has to be James in the 4Kids Dub.

At a recent panel at Ichibancon 2012, Eric Stuart was asked and said the following statement:

"Help me, Jessie! I think I have a crush on Harley!"

Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post

At a recent panel at Ichibancon 2012, Eric Stuart was asked and said the following statement:

I agree with this 100% though i prefer tpci, 4 kids easily captured james and brock the best, and james and brock are easily my fav characters along side ash "hoenn, Unova" ash actually, the rest LOL NO
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N.) View Post
    I agree with this 100% though i prefer tpci, 4 kids easily captured james and brock the best, and james and brock are easily my fav characters along side ash "hoenn, Unova" ash actually, the rest LOL NO
    Yeah Pokemon, I actually LIKE Unova's dub by TPCi though now! (I HATED and still hate the dubs for BF and DP, though-- they didn't work for me at all. XD.)

I prefer 4Kids overall, but I respect your opinion. They did a better job overall in Seasons 1-8 than TPCi has from Seasons 9-15 IMO (emphasis on Seasons 9-13 in particular).

And to all those who don't like the stereotypical flaming homo thing Eric did in AG, look at James' freaking hands wafting in the air like that? Does that look like he's straight? NO. IT. WAS. HILARIOUS. Couple that with Maddie's Meowth in Hoenn, and man did we have hilarious moments.

Remember when James and Meowth hid Dustox when it evolved from Jessie in "Seeing is Believing?" MY GOD...hilarious. James' just whistling and Meowth's on the ground flapping his wings disguised as a Beautifly. ROFL.

I guess one of the main reasons I don't like TPCi as much as 4Kids besides the voice acting (prior to BW excluding TRio's current voices which are still grating), is that they don't know how to put in some realistic comedy without forcing it. I really miss that stuff. It could just be me but when they attempt comedy, it comes off as fake for the most part. XD.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 14th August 2012 at 6:51 AM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    Oh wow, I didn't mean to start a debate or anything lol. I don't mind though, I'll try and explain the best I can?

First of all keep in mind that it's been over a decade since I've really watched the anime, so I'm not gonna claim my memory is perfect about anything or whatever. Yeah, I did like the slapstick humor and tempor flares. They were pretty entertaining. I remember one scene (I think it was in Johto) when Brock was doing his usual thing with flirting with some random female COTW, and Misty pulls a giant hammer out of nowhere and bashes his head with it. I thought that was completely hilarious. I wish I knew what episode that was. I don't mind character development of course but with Misty it just seems like she got less entertaining as time goes on, and her whole role in the show just turned into being "the girl" I guess. I can't really explain it too well, like I said it's been over a decade since I've watched the anime regularly. But hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say here.
    No its fine my intention wasn't to start debate either, i simply decided to explain why i disagree with claim of Misty "losing personality" and i understand you don't remember Johto that well too probably forgetting some things, and i presume you didn't watched chronicles and AG either.

I guess you only found slapstick humor when Misty smacked people heads as " interesting" about her and i respect that, because we all have different criteria on what is interesting and what isn't.

As far as my thoughts go:
    There was much more to Misty character than just going on rampage, and personally i enjoyed in her girly side, passionate love for hobbies and dreams, hotheaded side, tendency to tease, fact that she was outspoken while also showing that she can be very caring and compassionate too being one of character qualities.
    Misty had her eruptions of temper in Johto too, but main difference was that she wasn't so violent and explosive like she used to be in early Kanto. But im not bothered by that because she remained equally intriguing in my eyes because of other sides to her being showed adding refreshing note to character and having many memorable moments, while always remaining hothead.

From my rewatch of Johto i remembered Misty still having her flare and great interactions. I remember she criticized Brock about girls when Temaku dropped eye on him, giving him advices. She tried to rescue Sentret, Pikachu and Togepi from giant TR tank, helped group to find way out of forest with Hoot Hoot befriending it and being annoyed at Ash calling Jessie old hag. I remember how pissed she was when she found out she is Gyarados(what an irony) in that horoscope when James thought he was Moltress(i think it was from "Fortune Hunters"). Or when she tried to pair together Jenaro and Airene in "Hi Ho Silver Away",with romantic side awakening , or when she stuck with James and Meowth in Forrest Grumps having to work together sharing her sandwich with both getting on her nerves, when she got annoyed at Ash when not trying her soup when trying to cook or when idiot used water gun on Onix to wash him with Misty hoping that Brock gets well to end up with misery etc, etc.
    She added to comedy and dynamic when she wasn't center of attention too.

And i can say i liked how in end she grew up as person becoming more confident and better as water trainer with win of Seaking contest, coming top 8 in Whirl Cup or winning Alto Mare race against Ash Totodile and others confirming that. I also liked how she gained sisters respect not feeling inferior anymore and helping her new friend Sakura to stand up for herself, grew to appreciate friendship with Ash and Brock more not wanting to leave them at end of Johto and overcoming childhood trauma of Gyarados in end obtaining it and adding to her pokemon team.

I also noticed she battled more often in Johto than she did in Kanto using Poliwag line, Staryu and Corsola in several battles whether it was when battling other trainers or Team Rocket.She entered various competitions (like Seaking catching contest or Alto Mare race)displaying her skills as water trainer,managed to prov her worth as trainer .
    She also had while arc(Whirl Islands) dedicated to herself and wrapped with Whirl Cup expanding on her goal of water pokemon master .

That's not to say there weren't episodes where Misty barely interacted being in background, but so did Brock, Ash and TR too with problem not being in them because they were generally entertaining having many fun moments when receiving focus, but in too many unnecessary fillers being there which prevented main characters to interact and be active due to taking backseat in several episodes which revolved around solving problems with COTD and their pokemon. After all if your not getting focus you can't be active either.

In my opinion Misty was at her best in Kanto, Orange Islands, Master Quest from Johto, chronicles and Hoenn.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 14th August 2012 at 9:27 AM.

I think you are giving the writers too much credit with why Misty has a temper. There is no way they thought that in depth with her especially considering that the writers actually thought she was the least important main character from Kanto. Those were the writers' words not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post

Why James... oh all the people, WHY HARLEY?! D: I shall change it!
    "Help me, Jessie! I think I have a crush on my bottlecaps!"
    Ahhhh much better. Now I can sleep tonight.

ritchie : hes the ash clone , id like to see him have a epic battle with ash! , and hes really cool

brodie : hes really cool with the disguises

Quote Originally Posted by satoharupika View Post
    Why James... oh all the people, WHY HARLEY?! D: I shall change it!

Ahhhh much better. Now I can sleep tonight.
    lol. ROFL.

I think you are giving the writers too much credit with why Misty has a temper. There is no way they thought that in depth with her especially considering that the writers actually thought she was the least important main character from Kanto. Those were the writers' words not mine.
    Only Mr. Shudo had low opinion on Misty character viewing her as "unimportant", but he in no way spoke in everyone name making it clear in his blogs how there didn't existed general consensus about her character among writers not being allowed to replace her at end of Kanto like he originally intended to.
    His words never influenced my preference toward character with several contradictions existing there, and i can say Misty was one of few characters which had most believable development in pokemon gradually becoming more mature and confident in her abilities, while keeping her hotheaded and tomboyish side.

Im just saying my observations and issues with which Misty was introduced when traveling. If she didn't felt inferior it wouldn't irritate her so much whenever sisters called her useless "runt", it wouldn't be so important to her to win that doll set from Princess festival, she wouldn't want to prove herself so much whenever someone out in question her skills as trainer, especially when unofficial gym leader Dorian which knew her sisters thought low on her until she proved him otherwise.

Misty received some great character development during her run and i believe fact that other writers did more with Misty increasing her focus,battling and screen time in "Master Quest"after ex head writer stepped out from main position shows how they viewed Misty as more important and valuable character than he did.

Those were the writers' words not mine.
    Those were NOT the "writers words." Those were only "Shudos words."

Without a doubt Misty.

Well,Misty's still my(And also that of many others) favourite character.
    Now what?Are you gonna hack into my brain such that i start hating her?Or are you gonna bash me for this?The truth is,you can do nothing in order to change my mind.
    Besides,since we ain't forcing her down your throat,i see no reason to your disappointment.

Edit: Brock:As mentioned by Trainer Emily;He reminds me of Johnny Bravo + He cooked food!
    Mewtwo:And yes,I really don't take him to be 'yet another regular Pokemon'.
    Last edited by rohit_1997; 15th August 2012 at 9:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rohit_1997 View Post
    Well,Misty's still my(And also that of many others) favourite character.
    Now what?Are you gonna hack into my brain such that i start hating her?Or are you gonna bash me for this?The truth is,you can do nothing in order to change my mind.
    Besides,since we ain't forcing her down your throat,i see no reason to your disappointment.

Edit: Brock:As mentioned by Trainer Emily;He reminds me of Johnny Bravo + He cooked food!
    Mewtwo:And yes,I really don't take him to be 'yet another regular Pokemon'.
    What disappointment? I like Misty a lot. All I'm saying is that sometimes the writers give certain characters quirks without really giving them a reason why they have said quirk. I don't believe Misty's temper was a mask. I think the writers put it there for comic relief. Just like they did for every character that season. I was just saying people give the writers too much credit and Shudo even saying the writers didn't put that much thought into Misty. That's all I'm saying. I am not bashing anyone for liking Misty. I like her too.

Only Mr. Shudo had low opinion on Misty character viewing her as "unimportant", but he in no way spoke in everyone name making it clear in his blogs how there didn't existed general consensus about her character among writers not being allowed to replace her at end of Kanto like he originally intended to.
    His words never influenced my preference toward character with several contradictions existing there, and i can say Misty was one of few characters which had most believable development in pokemon gradually becoming more mature and confident in her abilities, while keeping her hotheaded and tomboyish side.

Im just saying my observations and issues with which Misty was introduced when traveling. If she didn't felt inferior it wouldn't irritate her so much whenever sisters called her useless "runt", it wouldn't be so important to her to win that doll set from Princess festival, she wouldn't want to prove herself so much whenever someone out in question her skills as trainer, especially when unofficial gym leader Dorian which knew her sisters thought low on her until she proved him otherwise.

Misty received some great character development during her run and i believe fact that other writers did more with Misty increasing her focus,battling and screen time in "Master Quest"after ex head writer stepped out from main position shows how they viewed Misty as more important and valuable character than he did.
    What did Shudo have against Misty anyway?
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 15th August 2012 at 8:13 PM.

What disappointment? I like Misty a lot. All I'm saying is that sometimes the writers give certain characters quirks without really giving them a reason why they have said quirk. I don't believe Misty's temper was a mask. I think the writers put it there for comic relief. Just like they did for every character that season. I was just saying people give the writers too much credit and Shudo even saying the writers didn't put that much thought into Misty. That's all I'm saying. I am not bashing anyone for liking Misty. I like her too.
    I never said how Misty temper was just a mask, it was one of character traits(part of personality obviously). But people can surely notice how reason why Misty stopped being so much violent like she was in early Kanto days was because of starting to mature(character development). And sometimes when people are defensive and abrupt to others they tend to use that approach to cover up their insecurity. And Misty had plenty of insecurity back in day viewing herself as inferior compared to Daisy and others feeling urge to prove herself to them.

What did Shudo have against Misty anyway?
    He thought how Misty didn't had enough "charm"and appeal" for a girl.

ritchie,brodie,may,max and duplica

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    Those were NOT the "writers words." Those were only "Shudos words."
    And he was a writer. So those were the writer's words. -__-

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    And he was the writers of the original series, the time Misty was actually a main character for. He was pretty much the creator of the anime personalities of the main cast, almost the father of the entire anime.

I have to say from BW, I am really starting to like Ash's Krok.

Misty- The trainer of Starmie and Staryu, I could type a paragraph about how much I like her, but it'll take too long.

Cynthia- The first female Champion, I hope she is never defeated, (or state it in the anime, that is) and she looks like Rosalina from Mario, with the bang.

Paul- Coma anyone?

Harley/Ursula- They made their rivals toughen up for the contests, if they didn't exist, I don't know how far May, and Dawn would have progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Yeah, a "single writer" who had already stepped down from the series.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast