Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cacturne For The Worse! (380)

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd
    He repeats, almost word for word, Genji's advice to him from a few episodes earlier.
    sorry for asking, but who was Genji? I can't seem to remember -_-;
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

I'm guessing May said something along the lines of "You're cookies are pretty good." Harry's attitude seems to be that of which if someone doesn't say "That's outstanding! You are the Best at Everything!" he takes full insult.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilKeckleon
    sorry for asking, but who was Genji? I can't seem to remember -_-;
    Drake of the Hoenn Elite Four.

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Man this guy really hated May with a passion. Though, I will give one thing to him, there is nothing better than psyching out the opponent to defeat them. Too bad it only backfired.

I wonder if the wierdo will return in any other contests or the Grand Festival.

Hey, where did Drew go? It seems he has all the ribbons he needs and is practicing for the festival.

Anyway, hooray for May, just one more ribbon. *Meakly celebrates*

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Basically, he calls her "Meno-chan" (or, in the translation I did, "Lil' Tenta") because he's alluding to Max's Tentacool story.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Heh, and thank you too Alfonso ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    I love Haarii's attitude, and it's nice to see one of May's opponents NOT wave goodbye to her in the sunset after having a nice friendly chat about their defeat.
    Yes, I very much agree with you. It is nice to see a character that isn't just happy-happy-smile-smile after being defeated in a battle. And the fact that he went to such measures as to publically humilliate Haruka in front of that huge audience to un-nerve her/get revenge for the cookie comment was rather sneaky and underhanded....not that its a bad thing of course ^.^
    And judging by his exit near the end of the episode, I think that leaves the door wide open for him to make a reappearence later on in the series. *crosses fingers*

Edit: ...I never noticed I was on your respect list until now *slaps head* ^.^;;

It gets worse than that. The visual flashback ends, but the recording continues, with Masato telling about how their mother mistook Haruka for a Tentacool and tried to capture her.
    ...that is just plain hillarious.
    Last edited by Gravy; 19th November 2004 at 12:56 AM.

Just saw the episode. Methinks this ain't the last time we see Haarii. He seems to still bear a grudge with Haruka. The episode wasn't that bad. And it was nifty hearing Satoshi tell Haruka exactly what Genji told him.

I nearly died laughing at Haruka's burst of anger towards Masato. x__x; I'd have been hiding behind Satoshi or Takeshi if I were him. XD

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

I hope that May-hater rots in you-know where! May was treated so unfairly by him, he DESERVED to lose! *Feeds Cacturne trainer to a starved Snorlax*

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Hey, only one big mistranslation on my part this week! Much better than the times when Murg would have to pretty much rewrite my synopses to correct my errors ^_^

I think the kamo is essentially meaningless when Haruka uses it, but it can also be interpreted as a shortened form of kamoshirenai ("maybe").
    I was thinking the same thing, but it doesn't make sense that she would use it at the end of almost all of her sentences. *shrugs*

I predict that the dub line will be something along the lines of "these cookies are pretty good", and since Harley (my preferred rendition of ハーリー ) can't stand the idea of being less than great...
    Going back, I guess his name should be Harley. I mean, I should know after seeing all the Harry Potter merchandise in Japan that they would have written it as ハリー if they wanted his name to be Harry.

Anyone else noticing how more and more of the characters-of-the-day seem to be getting American names?

It gets worse than that. The visual flashback ends, but the recording continues, with Masato telling about how their mother mistook Haruka for a Tentacool and tried to capture her.
    Ah, so that's why we see Mitsuko with a Monster Ball in her hand right at the end of the flashback.

Even after watching the entire episode, I'm only about 95% sure that Harley is male. The absence of certain physical attributes makes it unlikely that he's female, but his speech patterns were very feminine.
    Yeah, he does use a lot of atashi's throughout, but then again, if I recall correctly, so does Kaba-chan (from Shuukan Pokemon Housoukyoku, among other things). And we're certain that HE'S male, right?
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Caroline mistook May for a Tentacool? She must have been really confused. XD XD XD XD XD

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

lol sounds awesome
    nice work dogasu and murg =D

Well now we know his name we know that hes male. Anyway Victory came for the worlds greatest Pokemon! Now all Mays Pokemon have won a Pokemon Contest (and 2 have lost) and Bulbasaur beat a very strong grass type whos part dark type, BO-YA!! Bulbasaur rules!

You know they're going to butcher this guy in the translation because he acts to much like a girl. They may even make him a girl.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

I think the kamo is essentially meaningless when Haruka uses it, but it can also be interpreted as a shortened form of kamoshirenai ("maybe"). I predict that the dub line will be something along the lines of "these cookies are pretty good", and since Harley (my preferred rendition of ハーリー) can't stand the idea of being less than great...

No. He doesn't say it's very fast. He deliberately gives bad advice, saying that it's very slow, and speed is its weakness, thereby causing Haruka to use what could be the worst possible strategy.

I'm not absolutely certain of this, as I've only watched it once so far, but I don't think Harley said outright that he didn't like her. He did tell her that if she had studied her opponent instead of relying on advice, she would have known better. He also mocked her use of kamo while telling her that.

He repeats, almost word for word, Genji's advice to him from a few episodes earlier.

Even after watching the entire episode, I'm only about 95% sure that Harley is male. The absence of certain physical attributes makes it unlikely that he's female, but his speech patterns were very feminine.
    And the fact that his name, Haarii or Harley (Which is possible... 'L' is always changed to 'R' in Japanese, isn't it? Like with Remon Tii.) are male names makes it pretty certain he's a guy.

And in my studying of Japanese, I've noticed that many English words (Or rather, American.) that end in 'Y' are usually changed to 'I'. (Or Double I.) That would mean that his name *could* be either Haarii or Harley.

Anyway, I'm pretty certain he's a guy. He has a guy's face, and guy's eyes. Girl's eyes usually have lashes.

Question- What exactly do you mean by 'feminine speech patterns', Murgatroyd? I've heard the term used before, when someone (I *think* it was Ketsuban at Bulbagarden.) was talking about Yuuji/Drake of the Orange Islands. Was he using terms that are mostly used by girls, or something. An explanation would be greatly appreciated, seeing as how I'm attempting to learn Japanese and need all the help I can get. XD

Edit: Oh, and about the Trainer of the Day comment... I was pondering this the other day. I thought it was just the Coordinators. (Robaato, Grace, etc. Or was that Gracu? n.n
    Last edited by Alfonso; 19th November 2004 at 3:44 PM.

He usually referred to himself by saying atashi which only girls should be using when they refer to themselves. Males use watashi to refer to themselves. Didn't help that he laughed in a very feminine way (laughing in the traditional "Ohohoho" laugh while holding his hand in front of his mouth) and the clothes he wore seemed abit..I dunno, FFIX Kuja-ish? Seemed to try showing off the shape of his body and how he had a part of his shirt with a hole in it to expose his stomach.

....I can only imagine that tons of fangirls of feminine guys are already drooling just by that explanation. >_>;

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    You know they're going to butcher this guy in the translation because he acts to much like a girl. They may even make him a girl.
    Judging by what they do with dub James, making him much more girly than he is in the Japanese version, I think the dubbers will just adore Harley. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    He usually referred to himself by saying atashi which only girls should be using when they refer to themselves. Males use watashi to refer to themselves. Didn't help that he laughed in a very feminine way (laughing in the traditional "Ohohoho" laugh while holding his hand in front of his mouth) and the clothes he wore seemed abit..I dunno, FFIX Kuja-ish? Seemed to try showing off the shape of his body and how he had a part of his shirt with a hole in it to expose his stomach.

....I can only imagine that tons of fangirls of feminine guys are already drooling just by that explanation. >_>;
    ...And fanboys of feminine guys, like me. XD *huggles his preciousness Kuja plushie*

Also, question... I thought 'Watashi' was just a formal way of saying 'I' (Used by politicions, etc, and with people you don't know.) while 'Boku' and 'Ore' being the word for 'I' used only by guys. (Ore is a rough and gruff version of 'I', I believe.) Can someone clear that up? (In other words, can and do girls use 'Watashi'?)

Oh, and anybody that dresses like Kuja is awesome.

Edit: Just a thought, but am I the only one who thought it was a little TOO suspicious that May just HAPPENED to teach her Bulbasaur Petal Dance in the episode before the contest, and it didn't really seem hard for her to do so?
    Last edited by Alfonso; 19th November 2004 at 6:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Edit: Just a thought, but am I the only one who thought it was a little TOO suspicious that May just HAPPENED to teach her Bulbasaur Petal Dance in the episode before the contest, and it didn't really seem hard for her to do so?
    we only saw the END of the training thats why

[img135]http://members.shaw.ca/GeodudesPokeShots/profoak/ag104wurmple.jpg[/img135]

Oak's Pokemon Lecture featured Wurmple this time around.

Watashi can be used by either males or females, and it's the general, all-purpose way of referring to oneself. It's often used when the person speaking wants to be polite, but there are more polite ways to express "I."

Atashi (for girls) and ore and boku (for guys) tend to be less formal, so they're generally only used when speaking to friends, classmates, people below you (i.e. children), etc.

I think that, altogether, there are maybe...20 different first person pronouns in Japanese, but I'm not too sure about that number.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Just from looking at the pics the episode seemed pretty cool. Bulbasaurs Razor Leaf/Petal Dance combo was cool. It neat seeing a Bulbasaur use a move like Petal Dance. I coul never see Ash's using that move. Its gotta be cause its trainer is a girl. Is May's Bulbasaur male or female? Any hints to its gender?
    Anyways while i was looking through the episode pics i noticed a guy that looked awfully familiar. He was from the Johot Saga, or atleast looks almost exactly like him.

I doubt its the same character but they do look very similar. Are they just running out of character designs or something?

Fan of #336 Seviper the Fang Snake Pokemon
    Seviper's sword-like tail slashes enemies and douses them with a horrible poison.
    Seviper shares a life-long, bitter rivalry with Zangoose.
    Evo Line: Seviper
    Fave moveset: Poison Tail, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower

Banner by me ~RT

No hints to Bulba's gender, since it really hasn't done anything gender-specific yet at all. It's just acted...young.

One can't help but give May a lot of credit in this episode. Most people would have completely folded at the sort of embarrassment she had to go through, but not only was she able to resume battling, she was able to overcome it all and win. She's really come far as a trainer.

Rappy28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    and the clothes he wore seemed abit..I dunno, FFIX Kuja-ish? Seemed to try showing off the shape of his body and how he had a part of his shirt with a hole in it to expose his stomach.
    XD That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this episode.

By the way, I think Haarii's romanized name would be Harley. In Japanese, Harry Potter is spelt Harii, so there's obviously a difference between the two.

Usually, I'm not interested in Contest episodes, unless it contains some wacky Jessie-tries-a-new-trick-to-win parts, but Harley definitely got my attention. I hope we'll see more of him instead of Shuu/Drew. I never liked Shuu anyway. The way Harley embarassed Haruka when he realized he was losing was priceless. XD

...why do I always seem to love the effeminate, backstabbing b*****ds ? Why ? *hugs her FFIX copy*

Lol. It was really funny when May shouted out 'MA-SA-TO!!!!!!' during the contest, her becoming bigger and her voice becoming more ferocious with each syllable.

And it was funny the way Harii imitated May's ways of speaking.

I think May's bulba is a girl because it sounds much more feminine than Ash's bulba.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    No hints to Bulba's gender, since it really hasn't done anything gender-specific yet at all. It's just acted...young.
    Wouldn't the little heart-shaped patterns on its head be an indication that its female though? ^^; Plus, from what I've heard of its voice during the 'Regaining of the pokéballs' episode, its voice sounds a lot more feminine and 'girly' than Ash's Bulbasaur.

Just curious, what did the ribbon look like? Judging from the episode pictures, it looked pink.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast