Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wings Have We

The only thing that bothers me is the strict turn based battling style. It makes it seem less realistic because in reality they could attack more rather than waiting for the opponent. Although i understand it could be easier to write following game mechanics ect. I guess its all down to style and personal preference ^^
    If I was trying to be realistic Clyde would have told his Pokémon to keep using Brick Break over and over and over and over and over and over and over until all of Casey's Pokémon fell, with the victim not being able to move because it was being hit constantly. And we all know that that would just be silly, but since it was supposed to be a realistic match you could technically tell your Pokémon to do that. There's a reason that the turn-based mechanics were introduced, and since Pokémon usually need to take orders from their Trainers, there's not much you can do. But thank you for the comment. :3
    Last edited by Giratina!; 28th February 2010 at 9:02 PM.

but isn't Rotom immune to fighting attacks as well as normal attacks? and wouldent Billy's Tyranitar or Garret's Scizor be stronger than Slaking?
    Last edited by scizorstrike; 1st March 2010 at 8:39 PM.
    "Nothing is impossible- The word itself says, 'I'm possible!'"- Audrey Hepburn

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

@Scizor: I had checked the whole thing up on Marriland yesterday and I believe it had said Fighting-type moves did normal damage, but I just checked Serebii and you're right on that count. Giving Vigoroth all those TM moves was a stretch by itself, though, and frankly Vigoroth doesn't have the most diversified movepool on Earth, so... yeah. Also, yes, both Tyranitar and Scizor are stronger than Vigoroth, but Clyde was the one chosen to fight and Garret is... you know... missing.

{20} i am a passerby
    (Finally!)

Night had come, and the traveling party (now upped to five) had found themselves struggling to sleep. As a group, though, their minds were all on very different things.

Clyde, whose eyes typically closed the moment he touched the bedsheets, was staring at the small fragments of moonlight coming in from the Pokémon Center window. Sheridan was sitting up in bed, holding a discussion with a very mysterious Mime Jr. with a yellow headdress. This Mime Jr., amazingly, was holding up her end of the conversation in perfectly legible English; there was lots of squealing. Casey was trying to take every possible viewpoint on what torment the looming Gym battle would hand him. Caro was lying in bed silently; he seemed to have recovered from the uncomfortable resurfacing of water under the bridge that had occurred a few days ago, and his thoughts were now on that funny briefcase Grant did a great job of losing. The ex-Grunt himself was the only one even close to falling asleep.

His dreams were fitful.

Black.

…Really. All there is around me is black. I must be dreaming.

This is a dream, right? I am able to watch all of this going on, and I’m also able to see that yes, this IS black all around me, but I don’t know anything else. Nothing is moving – I feel detached. So it must be…

Wait.

What’s that?

In the center there?

I see something.

It’s… fading in, and floating. Like a ghost. It’s small and grayish-blue, with oversized eyes and dangling arms. There’s a wispy thing coming off of its head, like a Drifloon’s cloud. And then… attached to its tail… is that… a lock?

Yes. A lock. There’s a padlock attached to the ghost’s ringed tail. That’s… a little strange.

And ah, hold on. It’s multiplying. The same lock-tailed ghost monster is appearing in all sorts of different places, quickly filling up and blotting out any traces of black that had been left behind. The things were also giving off a convenient soft glowing, meaning that I could no longer see anything except floating ghosts and lights. Eventually, one of them – the first one to appear – stepped forward. When its mouth opened, so did all the other mouths, and they spoke as one.

(I noticed with a jolt that the area inside their mouths was pitch black.)

“WE ARE THE KARMADA.”

The tone was deafening, frankly – so many things speaking at once, even though their voices were relatively low, accumulated and rose to a freakishly loud pitch.

“Um, hi.” I realized a second later that it was an utterly stupid thing to say to this bunch of floating lightbulbs, but there was really no choice in the matter. After all, dreams cannot be controlled very easily. The Karmada didn’t seem to take too badly to this response, for there was no cacophony of screaming a few seconds after that. There was only the voices’ chanting.

“WE ARE INSIDE YOUR MIND.”

“Okay.”

Well, what else was there to say?

“WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING.”

“And what are you looking for?”

“…SOMETHING.”

“Oh. I don’t mean to be rude, but you’re all sort of creeping me out, so if there’s anything I can help you with…”

“OH, NO, YOUR ASSISTANCE IS NOT REQUIRED.”

“So why are you here?” These Karmada were a handful to follow, even if they weren’t speaking strangely.

“WE SIMPLY WANTED TO INFORM YOU. THERE MAY BE… SIDE EFFECTS.”

“What kind of side effects?”

“WE DON’T KNOW. BUT THERE WILL BE SOME.”

“Alright… um, thank you for letting me know.”

“OUR PLEASURE.”

I looked around, seeing only the eyes boring back into my head. “So… why are you inside my mind, then?”

“WE WERE TOLD TO,” said the Karmada matter-of-factly.

“By who?”

“WE CAN’T TELL YOU THAT.”

“Has the person forbidden you from telling me?”

“NO,” replied the Karmada. “WE REALLY DON’T KNOW WHO TOLD US TO DO IT.”

“But someone did?”

“YES. GOODBYE FOR NOW, GRANT STERNBERG. YOU ARE NEVER WITHOUT US. AS WE ARE NEVER WITHOUT YOU. UNTIL WE FIND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR, THIS PRINCIPLE WILL HOLD TRUE.”

Then I woke up.

Everyone stared in surprise as, the next morning, Sheridan stepped out of her room with a tiny pink Pokémon curled in her arms. (Grant, especially, seemed startled by this – though he calmed down quickly once he got a better look.) It had a giant red nose and a similarly-colored dot on its stomach, as well as a fuzzy mess of fur that seemed to curl out like a skirt near the Pokémon’s feet. Indeed, if its head had a blue swirly thing on top of it, it would have been a Mime Jr.

Instead, the swirly thing was yellow.

“Guys,” said Sheridan happily, “this is Saffron. She’s my sister.”

Due to the fact that it was really quite early in the morning, everyone’s reaction time was a little delayed, but they all eventually heard what she had said and looked between human and Pokémon in utter confusion.

“Oh, pleeease,” sniffed Saffron. “Don’t look at me like that!”

Except for Caro, who was one of the people not quite used to waking up early and therefore was unable to realize what the Mime Jr. had just said, everyone’s expressions got even more confused. There was a general cacophony that ensued, before Sheridan (with the glaring help of a few young Trainers from the next room) was able to silence everyone.

“Come on, you guys,” she said after they had quieted. “I can explain, I promise. And I’ll do it – but outside.” There was a moan of acceptance as everyone – still in their half-awake states – turned around and went down the stairs, Sheridan and Saffron jabbering in their wake.

“So let me get this straight,” said Casey dubiously after the two had concluded their tale. “This Mime Jr. used to be human, and she’s your sister. Then somebody kidnapped her and knocked her out, and when she woke up she was a little pink Pokémon? And then she got sold to someone who apparently owned one of those festival stalls, where she got sold back to Sheridan?”

“You say that like you don’t believe me,” pouted Saffron.

“No,” he said. “I don’t know if I believe you. But it sure is a lucky coincidence.”

“That still doesn’t explain why she can talk,” pointed out Grant.

Caro raised his hand; he, as one of the few members of the group who had experience in switching bodies, stepped in. “You remember why I can talk to Pokémon? ‘Cause I was a Raichu. And Mime Juniors must have pretty similar vocal capabilities to humans or something, because she remembered how to speak English, and now lo and behold she’s a little Pokémon and still doing it!”

Clyde just watched, utterly confused.

“There’s… a box.”

Casey had finally gotten around to insisting to everyone else that yes, he did need – but not necessarily want, of course – to get this Gym Badge, and they were right now standing inside the first room of the Rhoter Gym. Indeed, attached to the wall fuse-box style was a metal box with a few wires and metal rods inside it, and on top of that box was a pair of rubber gloves. The rods were attached to the wall in various positions on the right-hand side, whereas the wires came out on corresponding places on the left.

“What are we supposed to do with this?” asked Clyde.

“I guess we have to… um…” Casey stared from the metal box to the rather secure-looking sliding door next to it. “Well, I don’t know. But I think it might have something to do with moving on.”

“Yeah, like there’s a current coming from here…” Caro pointed to the left side of the fuse box. “…and if we can connect it right then the current would go along here…” He moved his arm in time with the movements, eventually stopping at the door. “…then it might trigger something over here!”

There was silence for a few heartbeats.

“That’s actually not a bad idea,” noted Sheridan.

Casey pulled off his own gloves and donned the silly-looking, but quite protective, rubber ones. “Since we have no other leads, I think that’s the best we can do.” With that, he picked up one of the wires carefully and pinched the metal tongs on the end of it, attaching the wire to the metal rod directly opposite it. After he had done this three times in total, everyone turned to watch the door.

There was a buzzer sound – ‘Wrong’.

“Doesn’t look like it helped,” observed Clyde intelligently.

“Hold on a minute…” Caro applied force to Casey’s shoulder, effectively making him stumble out of the way. “So what’s the point of this big black X scribbled onto the yellow wire?” He reached out towards the wire in question and unclasped it.

Casey found his balance again and reached for the yellow wire. “Let me see.”

“No, no!” replied Caro. “I almost got it.” He kneeled down so that he could stare into the box better, and finally reached one arm in. “If I’m right, then there’s got to be another wire in this box to connect. Because the X stands for something to be left out, right?”

“It could mean that it’s the only one to be left in,” offered Sheridan dubiously. “Or it could mean that it needs to be…”

“Shush!”

Sheridan blinked as Caro peered into the box, reached in, and made a triumphant ‘Aha!’ as he apparently found something. Caro stood up and slowly brought his arm back into the light room, away from the inky darkness of the back of the box. He had something in his hand, and everyone craned their necks or peered closer at it.

It was a wire, longer than the others, curled up at the back. And it was…

“But that wire is black!” protested Casey. “That’s a dirty trick…”

Indeed, it was a black wire. It had been coiled up tightly, tied together, and shoved unceremoniously in the darkest part of the metal box. It was obviously designed to blend in perfectly with the box’s walls due to a lack of light. Caro plugged the sneaky wire into the port where the yellow wire had just been, and with a pleasant chirping noise the door promptly opened.

“Yes, well,” said Sheridan. “I guess the Gym Leader likes dirty tricks now. Back when I came through it was just an easy maze. As a matter of fact…”

Sheridan then realized that she was alone, and scrambled through the door.

Casey stopped cold in the next room, and everyone else followed suit.

Because, right in the center of the room, was what could only be described as a scrap-metal throne. It had obviously been formed into the very rough shape of a chair from other metals of various kinds, and sitting atop it (in what must be the most uncomfortable seat ever) was who could only be the Gym Leader. He had his blue beanie cap pulled far over his face, sending his eyes into perpetual shadow.

“Hey.” He jumped down from the junkheap and onto the ground with remarkable ease, letting his orange jacket flap around as he did so. Everyone watched him move with varying amounts of interest (save for Sheridan, who seemed to be looking at him curiously). “Y’here for a Gym match?”

“Yes.” Casey’s tone did not betray his unease.

“Oh, ‘kay.” Casey took a breath of relief, happy that he was going to get this done with at last, but it died in his throat at the man’s next words: “Then you’d better be coming back, like… next week or sumthin’.”

“Next week?” he muttered. “No way! I can’t stay here any longer… we’ve been too distracted as it is.” He raised his voice so that the Gym Leader could hear the next question: “What’s so bad that you’ve got to stop taking challenges anyway?”

“Oh, well.” He sighed. “M’dudes ran away.”

“All of them?” asked Grant.

“No, just one, but he’s my main dude, and my other dudes aren’t really all that strong. And the PIA would have my head if they found out that my main Pokémon is lost somewhere in the city – and they hate all of us Holon Leaders’ guts anyway – so I’ve been trying to find him.”

“You didn’t look like you were looking for your Pokémon,” grumbled Clyde.

“So, until I find my dude, I can’t just let you slide past by beating my other dudes, so…” he paused for a moment, apparently deep in thought. “Oh! Wait a minute, man! I got an idea that can work out for both of us!” He shot a crooked, admittedly sleazy-looking grin at Casey. “See, you’re here for a Gym Badge fast, aren’t you? And I’m down a dude, and really not in the mood for a battle right now. So if you can go out and find and defeat my dude, then I can come over to wherever you are and give you a Gym Badge because we can say it was… um, a one on one battle or something. Except, you know, all of my other Pokémon happened to have fainted and stuff.”

Casey’s head whirled just trying to get past his lingo, much less understand what the man was saying. Finally, he had sorted it all out in his brain, and as usual he had a question.

“How will you know where I am?”

“Y’have a JAWS, right?”

“Yeah.” Casey took it out of his backpack and held it up. “What about it?”

“It’s just like a PokéGear, man. You can use it like any old cell phone, as long as you got the other guy’s number. Here, lemme see it.” Stathis held out his hand expectantly, obviously wanting to take the machine. Casey handed it over slowly and dubiously, and watched in confusion as he almost immediately started poking around on the interface. After a few minutes in which the only sounds was the Gym Leader’s button-mashing, Casey was holding his JAWS once again and blinking confusedly down at the screen. The considerably taller redhead slid over to peer over his shoulder, pointing to prove a point.

“See, dude? You just gotta press this button here on the main screen and then select my name with the center button – that’s Stathis, duh, I’m the only one on there – and then y’hold it up to your ear like any old cell phone.” He stood back. “Cool, huh?”

“Oh,” he replied. “Um… thanks. Guys, I guess we should be going no—”

“Excuse me for interrupting,” said Sheridan with a bemused tone, “but I have a question.”

“You do? ‘Kay. Shoot, babe.”

Sheridan scowled at the way Stathis had referenced her, but made no mention of it and instead made a much more sensible response. “What species is this Pokémon of yours?”

Stathis faltered. “Oh.” He took a slouching position, mouth set into a thoughtful frown. “You know, that’s a good question. I don’t actually know. But it’s a Pokémon, you know, with four legs. Mostly red fur, like its whole body is red, you know, but over that there’s lots of yellow fur all over it too.”

‘That’s helpful,’ thought Casey miserably as the group nodded, gave a few mumbled comments to Stathis, and set out through the wire-infused maze. They soon arrived outside and began looking for Stathis’ missing Pokémon at once, the mid-day sun beating on their backs.

DS+ (I really need to do something with this part past character profiles): character profile #8, character profile #9

Also, if anyone wants to be added to the PM list, give me a holler.

ummm.... Is the " electrium " that just so happens to be in his profile his "main Dude"?
    *hollers* AND I WANT TO BE ON THE PM LIST TOO!
    (well, you did say to holler. and i thought that Caro was a Pikachu, not a Raichu.)
    Last edited by scizorstrike; 16th March 2010 at 8:18 PM.

One crazy trip: The adventures of a beret-clad boy and his best friend the sky. One day I will learn how to forum-format at a decent speed. Promise.

Caro was born a Pikachu, but between the prologue and first chapter of his debut fic - Metal Coat - he had evolved into a Raichu. :3 And yes, Electrium is Stathis' 'main dude'.
    O-kay! PM list time!

so is "metal coat" the other fiction that you have written that is too rubbish to put up here?

Yep, that fic is Metal Coat. If you really want to read it you can go hunt it down on PokéCom or Fanfiction.net, but there is a rewrite in the works, so... |D

PM Listirize please!

The Karmarda are weird... and quire funny too. They remind me of the Ood from Doctor Who XD

Are we going to get any more in depth explanations for Saffron? Because that was quite random and sudden an you made me confused.

Love how the gymleader talks though XD

List'd! :3

I must say I've never seen a single episode of Doctor Who, so the similarity between the Karmada and the Ood was completely unintentional. But I'm truly glad you like them - I think they're really interesting characters and bridge-diggers <3.

{21} catch! catch! catch!

“Sir?”

“Sir?”

Fedora Man jumped from surprise. Was it even possible to hold a conversation with two people at once? Curse this infernal newfangled technology! Fedora Man looked between the two screens, at the two people who intended to deliver their reports. …How do you close these windows again?

He gave a very short message to one of the people attempting to contact him and cut the connection, instead turning onto the other one with renewed bemusement.

“What is it, Solana?”

The gray-haired woman coughed. “Well, there have been more recent developments involving the floating orange thing and Professor Lund, the Mime Jr. girl, and Electrium.”

“Have there now?” he asked. “Start with the Pokémon-girl.”

“Right. Well, you know how that woman we caught… you recall how she was silenced? By being focused upon by the Beam?”

“It went just like Her operation did,” he said. “Are you trying to tell me otherwise?”

“Well… there were a few developments concerning the Mime Jr. we weren’t previously aware of,” continued Solana with an extremely uncharacteristic shakiness to her voice. “For one thing, the creature seems to have retained the ability to use human speech. She was apparently just pretending to be a normal Pokémon while our studies had been conducted on her…” Fedora Man scowled, but didn’t interrupt his companion’s explanation. “…which means she could still be capable of relaying what had happened to her to—”

“—the person she was sold to,” finished Fedora Man.

“Yes, and that brings me to my next point.” Solana paused again, but the expression on Fedora Man’s face prompted her not to irritate him any further. The person who she was ultimately sold to… we had done some research into her, sir. We had previously dismissed her as another mere Pokémaniac, interested only in the Shiny and the rare. Which she was.”

“So what’s the problem?” Fedora Man was not a happy camper. “The woman was interested in rare Pokémon, and she purchased a rare Pokémon. We simply retrieve the Mime Jr. and be done with it.”

“That was… not all, sir.”

Fedora Man’s eyes narrowed. “So what about her, then?”

“Her name is Sheridan o’Reilly, sir…” Solana paused. “…whereas the Mime Jr.’s name was Saffron o’Reilly. They were of similar build with exactly the same color hair. It’s hardly a common surname, either, and Saffron has admitted to growing up in this region.” She stopped again. “Sir, I believe that it’s possible – or, dare I say, probable – that Saffron has been sold to her sister.”

What?”

Well, that was just peachy. The Mime Jr. could spill everything that had happened to her, and she was among people who would definitely treat her nicely to keep her around! Fedora Man, needless to say, was not amused.

“I-it will require much more research before we can make any concrete assumptions, sir—”

Fedora Man slammed his fist on the desk, missing his laptop’s keyboard by inches. “Well then research it!” he snapped, ignoring Solana’s frantic nodding, before taking a few deep breaths in an attempt to calm himself. “…Well, continue, then.”

“Yes, sir,” said Solana dutifully, having apparently recovered from her nervous state. “There have been reports of a strange red-and-yellow Pokémon roaming the streets of Fort Rhion, spewing electric bolts at random passerby. We have not used an Arcanine in any of our experiments yet, and no other red-and-yellow Pokémon tosses around electricity as far as we know, so the most likely bet is that Electrium is on the loose…”

“Electrium? Wasn’t that the Pokémon that was stolen?”

“Yes, sir… it’s possible that the Pokémon had either escaped from its kidnapper and has taken to the streets or had simply run off from the ‘zoo’ – for lack of a better term – by itself. Shall I deploy some operatives to retrieve it?”

“Please do. We need to keep all specimens under a tight leash…” He hesitated. “With the sightings of Electrium, and with the recent disappearance of Tervalve, that means we still have to locate four of the recent group…” He drifted off, and Solana nodded her head solemnly.

“Yes, sir. I will send out a patrol to hunt for it immediately after I’m done here. However, I do have one more thing I need to cover with you, remember?”

“Yes, yes,” grumbled Fedora Man. “Torsten. Go on.”

“Right,” said Solana, regaining her composure. “Mr. Lund. Well, things have been continuing at a steady pace with him, but it seems that the good Professor’s conscience is catching up to him. He’s started spewing some nonsense about how he’s very worried about how the project will affect the small glowing thing, which still hasn’t disappeared… actually, it seems insistent on hovering over Torsten’s shoulder at all times. He doesn’t object.” Solana grimaced. “Tests on it are impossible at this stage, Lund or no Lund. But anyhow, he’s beginning to have second thoughts, and it seems he’s begun to grow a spine as well, if you know what I mean.” Solana frowned disapprovingly. “I’ve talked it over with Nami – Iskra, as usual, proved to be no help at all – and she’s agreed that the matter should be brought to your attention.”

Fedora Man looked at her disapprovingly. “Solana, if he has any information we may have possibly let slip, it will need to be obtained one way or another.”

“Well, he’s obviously not going to let it go easily,” grunted Solana as her patience wore thin. She almost left it at that until another thought crossed her mind, and the expression on her face lifted considerably at this new option.

“…Unless you mean the LEM?”

“If that is what it takes,” said Fedora Man, “then yes. The LEM.”

He cut the connection.

-

“How hard can it be to find a stupid dog?” grumbled Clyde.

The expanded Groupie Galaxy had been wandering through Fort Rhion for hours now, hunting for the vaguely-described Pokémon that Stathis had lost track of. They had determined that none of them had any idea which Pokémon the Gym Leader was talking about, but from asking various people on the street a very wispy, vague trail had led them closer and closer to the volt-spewing monster. And now they were sneaking down a dark street as silent as can be (so as not to scare off the, ahem, ‘prey’) in pursuit of a mysterious electrifying force.

Rotom, as usual, was screwing it up.

“I’m up here!” he called down to Casey, who had long before noticed him hover up above everyone’s heads.

“We get it!” his Trainer called up. “Now don’t make any noise!”

“Why?” Rotom sunk down to eye level immediately.

“Because you’re going to scare off the Pokémon,” explained Caro in a considerably more patient tone.

“Oh, okay!”

Rotom made some sort of salute with his Beast head and returned up to the previous altitude, this time making a lot less noise. (The rest of them were visibly relieved that someone had shut him up; even if the Pokémon was on the other side of the city, that didn’t stop the searchers from being unsettled by his blathering.) With that obstacle out of the way, the group walked on in silence for a few minutes before conversation gradually began to emerge.

“Wait,” said Casey suddenly. “Why are just we looking for this thing? We’ve been hunting this city for hours. Surely there must be some way we can… I don’t know, have us and our Pokémon split up or something?”

“I’m sure we can,” remarked Grant, “but how will we return them? It’s obvious this place is huge; the Pokéballs don’t have that big a range.”

“Well then, we have Kaeo go with them and he can inform me where we are.” Sheridan released the purple Drowzee – showering herself and everyone else with glitter – in order to prove her point. “After all, it’s not like all of the Pokémon need to stay in one group and all the humans in another, otherwise we’d be defenseless if and when we find Stathis’ Pokémon.”

“Well, since I’m the one who’s supposed to fight it, then I should keep all of my Pokémon with me.” Casey tapped one string of his backpack for good measure. “If anyone else wants to send their Pokémon out, they can stick with Kaeo.”

The Drowzee grunted.

Suddenly, from some dark alley, there came a rustling. Everyone looked around, thinking it was the Pokémon they were looking for – but it wasn’t. Nope. What walked out of the shadows was a man in a telltale BDV cloak, holding a rather heavy-looking suitcase.

“Have fun, kids,” the grunt said, setting down the suitcase and running away.

There was barely time to express confusion before Fort Rhion and everyone inhabiting it blew up.

*blinks*
    is it me... or did you just kill everyone?
    *notes date*
    ah.... on April 1st....
    ok. Now, i am officially dsibeliving this.

Heh heh, you caught me. XD
    Yeah, that was a gag chapter.

Okaayyy.

Meh, that would be another April Fools joke that i've fallen for if it wasn't for me seeing scizorstrike's post before i read the chapter.

Well, if it comforts you at all, up until the part with the BDV Grunt it was all actual chapter text. C:

Well, if it comforts you at all, up until the part with the BDV Grunt it was all actual chapter text. C:

yay to know i'm right for a change. well, i suppose after being told i had a test by one of my teachers, i wouldn't fall for something like a gag chapter. those are easy to pick out. (and the fact that, after noticing the april 1st post date, and posting, i noted that your sig said that it is posted... or isnt it.)
    Last edited by scizorstrike; 5th April 2010 at 4:10 PM.

I wasn't actually planning on a big April Fools' gag, so this was pretty spur-of-the-moment. I didn't get any jokes played on me today, so... c:

{21} catch! catch! catch!

“Sir?”

“Sir?”

Fedora Man jumped from surprise. Was it even possible to hold a conversation with two people at once? Curse this infernal newfangled technology! Fedora Man looked between the two screens, at the two people who intended to deliver their reports. …How do you close these windows again?

He gave a very short message to one of the people attempting to contact him and cut the connection, instead turning onto the other one with renewed bemusement.

“What is it, Solana?”

The gray-haired woman coughed. “Well, there have been more recent developments involving the floating orange thing and Professor Lund, the Mime Jr. girl, and Electrium.”

“Have there now?” he asked. “Start with the Pokémon-girl.”

“Right. Well, you know how that woman we caught… you recall how she was silenced? By being focused upon by the Beam?”

“It went just like Her operation did,” he said. “Are you trying to tell me otherwise?”

“Well… there were a few developments concerning the Mime Jr. we weren’t previously aware of,” continued Solana with an extremely uncharacteristic shakiness to her voice. “For one thing, the creature seems to have retained the ability to use human speech. She was apparently just pretending to be a normal Pokémon while our studies had been conducted on her…” Fedora Man scowled, but didn’t interrupt his companion’s explanation. “…which means she could still be capable of relaying what had happened to her to—”

“—the person she was sold to,” finished Fedora Man.

“Yes, and that brings me to my next point.” Solana paused again, but the expression on Fedora Man’s face prompted her not to irritate him any further. The person who she was ultimately sold to… we had done some research into her, sir. We had previously dismissed her as another mere Pokémaniac, interested only in the Shiny and the rare. Which she was.”

“So what’s the problem?” Fedora Man was not a happy camper. “The woman was interested in rare Pokémon, and she purchased a rare Pokémon. We simply retrieve the Mime Jr. and be done with it.”

“That was… not all, sir.”

Fedora Man’s eyes narrowed. “So what about her, then?”

“Her name is Sheridan o’Reilly, sir…” Solana paused. “…whereas the Mime Jr.’s name was Saffron o’Reilly. They were of similar build with exactly the same color hair. It’s hardly a common surname, either, and Saffron has admitted to growing up in this region.” She stopped again. “Sir, I believe that it’s possible – or, dare I say, probable – that Saffron has been sold to her sister.”

What?”

Well, that was just peachy. The Mime Jr. could spill everything that had happened to her, and she was among people who would definitely treat her nicely to keep her around! Fedora Man, needless to say, was not amused.

“I-it will require much more research before we can make any concrete assumptions, sir—”

Fedora Man slammed his fist on the desk, missing his laptop’s keyboard by inches. “Well then research it!” he snapped, ignoring Solana’s frantic nodding, before taking a few deep breaths in an attempt to calm himself. “…Well, continue, then.”

“Yes, sir,” said Solana dutifully, having apparently recovered from her nervous state. “There have been reports of a strange red-and-yellow Pokémon roaming the streets of Fort Rhion, spewing electric bolts at random passerby. We have not used an Arcanine in any of our experiments yet, and no other red-and-yellow Pokémon tosses around electricity as far as we know, so the most likely bet is that Electrium is on the loose…”

“Electrium? Wasn’t that the Pokémon that was stolen?”

“Yes, sir… it’s possible that the Pokémon had either escaped from its kidnapper and has taken to the streets or had simply run off from the ‘zoo’ – for lack of a better term – by itself. Shall I deploy some operatives to retrieve it?”

“Please do. We need to keep all specimens under a tight leash…” He hesitated. “With the sightings of Electrium, and with the recent disappearance of Tervalve, that means we still have to locate four of the recent group…” He drifted off, and Solana nodded her head solemnly.

“Yes, sir. I will send out a patrol to hunt for it immediately after I’m done here. However, I do have one more thing I need to cover with you, remember?”

“Yes, yes,” grumbled Fedora Man. “Torsten. Go on.”

“Right,” said Solana, regaining her composure. “Mr. Lund. Well, things have been continuing at a steady pace with him, but it seems that the good Professor’s conscience is catching up to him. He’s started spewing some nonsense about how he’s very worried about how the project will affect the small glowing thing, which still hasn’t disappeared… actually, it seems insistent on hovering over Torsten’s shoulder at all times. He doesn’t object.” Solana grimaced. “Tests on it are impossible at this stage, Lund or no Lund. But anyhow, he’s beginning to have second thoughts, and it seems he’s begun to grow a spine as well, if you know what I mean.” Solana frowned disapprovingly. “I’ve talked it over with Nami – Iskra, as usual, proved to be no help at all – and she’s agreed that the matter should be brought to your attention.”

Fedora Man looked at her disapprovingly. “Solana, if he has any information we may have possibly let slip, it will need to be obtained one way or another.”

“Well, he’s obviously not going to let it go easily,” grunted Solana as her patience wore thin. She almost left it at that until another thought crossed her mind, and the expression on her face lifted considerably at this new option.

“…Unless you mean the LEM?”

“If that is what it takes,” said Fedora Man, “then yes. The LEM.”

He cut the connection.

-

“How hard can it be to find a stupid dog?” grumbled Clyde.

The expanded Groupie Galaxy had been wandering through Fort Rhion for hours now, hunting for the vaguely-described Pokémon that Stathis had lost track of. They had determined that none of them had any idea which Pokémon the Gym Leader was talking about, but from asking various people on the street a very wispy, vague trail had led them closer and closer to the volt-spewing monster. And now they were sneaking down a dark street as silent as can be (so as not to scare off the, ahem, ‘prey’) in pursuit of a mysterious electrifying force.

Rotom, as usual, was screwing it up.

“I’m up here!” he called down to Casey, who had long before noticed him hover up above everyone’s heads.

“We get it!” his Trainer called up. “Now don’t make any noise!”

“Why?” Rotom sunk down to eye level immediately.

“Because you’re going to scare off the Pokémon,” explained Caro in a considerably more patient tone.

“Oh, okay!”

Rotom made some sort of salute with his Beast head and returned up to the previous altitude, this time making a lot less noise. (The rest of them were visibly relieved that someone had shut him up; even if the Pokémon was on the other side of the city, that didn’t stop the searchers from being unsettled by his blathering.) With that obstacle out of the way, the group walked on in silence for a few minutes before conversation gradually began to emerge.

“Hold on,” said Casey suddenly. “Why are just we looking for this thing? We’ve been hunting this city for hours. Surely there must be some way we can… I don’t know, have us and our Pokémon split up or something?”

“I’m sure we can,” remarked Grant, “but how will we return them? The Pokéballs don’t have that big a range.”

“Well then, we have Kaeo go with them and he can inform me where we are.” Sheridan released the purple Drowzee – showering herself and everyone else with glitter – in order to prove her point. “After all, it’s not like all of the Pokémon need to stay in one group and all the humans in another, otherwise we’d be defenseless if and when we find Stathis’ Pokémon.”

“Since I’m the one who’s supposed to fight it, then I should keep all of my Pokémon with me.” Casey tapped one string of his backpack for good measure. “If anyone else wants to send their Pokémon out, they can stick with Kaeo.”

The Drowzee grunted.

“Everyone should have at least one member of their team with them in case trouble arrives. I’ll keep Pinsir with me.” Grant crossed his arms, brow furrowed in thought. “So… the leftovers can go look with Kaeo, then, I guess?”

There was a general muttering of agreement as many, many Pokémon were sent out at once. The two Raticates (Grant’s and Caro’s) sniffed at each other curiously, then decided that the other was fine and immediately started up an… ahem… riveting discussion about the finer points of Dumpster diving. Slakoth looked around, yawned, and then started pulling on Clyde’s leg until, with an irritated grunt, he picked the Pokémon up. Kaeo looked around calmly, not letting any of the other Pokémon talk to him until Caro’s Azumarill tapped him on the shoulder and asked the question that has graced millions of kindergartners the world over: “Wanna be friends?” There was a whole mess of other Pokémon communication, and after a brief rousing speech from Caro the two parties separated.

“What?” muttered one figure.

“They’ve split up?” hissed another.

“Dumb,” noted a third.

Unknown to any member of the Groupie Galaxy, hiding on a nearby rooftop crouched two humans and a Delcatty. They were all watching their prey intently, and so when said “prey” became a lot harder to round up, the division was not missed.

“Follow?” mused Billy.

“Of course we follow them,” said Kidd. “We were sent to find Electrium, weren’t we? And since Aerith over here was sneaking around where she shouldn’t have been…”

“I do whatever I like,” snapped the Delcatty in response.

“Let me finish!” growled Kidd before continuing. “But because Aerith and her big head felt like sneaking around where she shouldn’t be, something good actually came out of it – you got that, Aerith? Something good – and we found that those guys…” She pointed at the Groupie Galaxy, “…are looking for it too! Plus CD0000 decided to stick around, which means they must still have the missing information, and they have that Saffron girl… Mime Jr. …thing cuddled in their arms! This is a perfect opportunity!”

“We do what?” asked Billy, frowning at them.

“Here’s what we do,” said Aerith, lashing her tail. “We take the pink fluffball, we abduct CD0000, we drive the others out, and then we catch Electrium.”

“You forget the Pokémon,” noted Kidd. “They must have plenty of strong ones, right? And when we have a whole mob of strong Pokémon walking around and they’re not ours, it’s not always good. They do look strong, you know, even if that’s the most pleasant adjective they have…” She shuddered at the state of the blonde woman’s hair. Tips dyed green? Really? “…And for all we know, they could all be a pack of…” She paused. “…Mightyenas…

All three of them cringed in unison.

“Well, whatever!” barked Aerith in a very un-Delcattylike way. “Our mission is to capture stragglers!”

“That’s right!” gasped Kidd. “And we’ve got to do it!”

“Uh-huh,” remarked Billy.

The three all sprang to their feet and began a very complicated series of jumps, leaping up and on a wide variety of storefronts and Dumpsters to find the ground again. There was a general maniacal giggle for good luck, and then the two cloaked humans and the Pokémon ran off to do their masters’ bidding. They were swooshing capes and making very large bounds and generally making fools of themselves, but really, who cares? There was an actual job to do now!

Azumarill’s head turned sharply to the left.

“Did you hear that?” he asked.

Zephyroth and Hal (Caro and Grant’s Raticate, respectively, named to prevent confusion within the group) looked at Azumarill dubiously.

“No,” they said in unison.

“I didn’t,” confessed Vigoroth. “But I’ll listen harder!”

“Right,” muttered Crobat. “We’ll leave you to that.”

“Well,” noted Zephyroth, “We do have the biggest ears here…”

“But then again, so does Azumarill, and he heard…” said Hal without skipping a beat.

“This could be a problem!” the two concluded at once.

“Wow,” whispered Azumarill to Kaeo. “They’ve only just met, right? And already they’re perfectly in sync!”

“It’s interesting,” replied the Psychic-type in hushed tones. “I suppose they realized that their brains work very much the same.”

“OHOHO.”

Everyone jumped in unison as two comparatively tall figures (and one short one) hopped out from behind a Dumpster, silhouetted against the dark alleyway in some sort of dramatic entrance. A few seconds later they all stepped into a position where it was considerably easier to see, and the ever-persistent Billy, Kidd, and Aerith emerged.

“We’re here to catch you,” explained Aerith, much to the surrounding Pokémon’s surprise. “So, you see, if you could just relax and allow us to go about our business, nothing gets broken.”

Vigoroth growled. Zephyroth and Hal skittered into what could possibly be called ‘battle position’. Kaeo raised his arms and Azumarill’s ear twitched. It was obvious they weren’t going to leave easily; the three realized this at once, and didn’t even bother making a short quip about how intelligent they were before hopping into attack mode.

Aerith bounded forward at once, landing on Kaeo. He took a step back, not realizing that he would be the one targeted despite being the leader of the group. Hal pounced, trying to whack Aerith off but only managing to scratch her. The Delcatty lashed her tail in anger and sprang off of Kaeo, now intent on catching her latest victim, and failed to notice the mob of Manectrics which had assembled behind her.

“Hello,” they said before shoving Aerith back into her teammates and chasing them off in a barking rage.

“Dogs not like us!” wailed Billy.

“Apparently,” grunted Crobat.

There was a general silence then, as the group wondered who should imply that they really needed to get going. As a result of this, the entire group was visibly on edge. And then…

“Hm?” Kaeo’s eyes widened.

“What is it?” came the general cacophony that was supposed to be the rest of the Pokémon.

“We should return to Sheridan and the others quickly,” said Kaeo in an eerily calm voice. “Like, now.”
    Last edited by Giratina!; 9th April 2010 at 1:27 AM.

woohoo. new chapter. yay for bringing back the trio of..... hmmm... what should i call them? anyway, nice chapter here then.

I'd just call them Billy, Kidd, and Aerith. Or BAK. :/ Or Team LDV.

ok, the trio of team LDV. (even though that sentance dosen't make sense to me. even less than my spelling)

Good to see the proper ending for that April Fools chapter XD

I lol'd at the Raticates.

started up an… ahem… riveting discussion about the finer points of Dumpster diving

As opposed to Team BDV - LDV. Though I'd just stick with Billy, Kidd, and Aerith, personally.

Fun fact: Zephyroth and Hal's personalities were modeled after Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachiin (oh Ouran, how I love you so) and names ripped from the imaginary nicknames of Lance's Dragonairs. Of course, my Lance is horrendously OOC, so...

{22} irresistible force, immovable object

Well, it was red. And yellow. It was a Pok&#233;mon, certainly (it was not animal and definitely not human). With spiked fur crowning its head on either side. By all means, it was exactly what Stathis had described. The only problem – aside from that, none of them had any idea what it was.

“Um, Caro,” said Casey. “I… don’t believe I’ve seen that before…”

“Neither have I.”

“Oh.” He blinked. “That’s… that’s a problem, then?”

Sheridan, on the other hand, was far from being deterred from the fact that it was completely unidentifiable. Instead, she gave a little squeal normally reserved for overly-ambitious fangirls and practically pranced up to the mysterious red lion, who in turn growled ferociously. Everyone else then proceeded to watch in bewilderment as Sheridan began cooing to the monster like a mother to her child, hopping back and giggling when it lashed out at her. (It didn’t work as well when there were lightning bolts involved.)

“Hey, be careful!” yelled Grant. “That thing could… could paralyze you or something!”

Sheridan didn’t seem to hear – though Caro did.

“Oh, come on, now you’re just getting paranoid,” he snorted. “Only Luxrays do that.”

Finally, Clyde found himself fed up with her acting like an obsessive idiot and strode up to the woman, pulling her back to the rest of his group by the ponytail. “Stay,” he told her, wagging a finger like she was some sort of misbehaving pet. Sheridan pouted. (Despite the seriousness of the general situation, Caro had to fight to keep down a snicker.)

“Eliiii!” snapped the Pok&#233;mon. “Electri-um!”

“Electrium, is it?” muttered Casey, whipping out the JAWS and pointing it at the lion Pok&#233;mon. A few seconds passed.

Casey scowled.

“Hello?” he said, shaking the JAWS and pointing it at Electrium again. “There’s a Pok&#233;mon in front of you! Get its entry!”

It didn’t.

“Forget this,” he grunted, tossing the JAWS back in his backpack in favor of a Pok&#233;ball. “You’re an Electric-type, aren’t you?”

Electrium hissed violently.

“I think that’s his ‘yes’ hostile roar,” noted Caro.

Within seconds the Pok&#233;ball’s telltale sucking sound had played, and on the ground stood the small green dinosaur we call Larvitar. He almost immediately noticed the growling four-legged Pok&#233;mon in front of him; instead of being surprised at not recognizing it, he simply spread his weight out in characteristic “Let’s fight!” style.

Electrium took notice and immediately dove for him, mouth open for a Thunder Fang.

“Rock Slide.” Casey addressed this calmly and almost without emotion, quite unlike many of the flashy attack commands the normal Gym challengers threw out. Though Casey could hardly be considered a normal Gym challenger… and, then again, this could hardly be considered a normal Gym challenge. Regardless, Larvitar held up a paw in agreement and set to work summoning a few obnoxiously large boulders to lob at Electrium.

The Pok&#233;mon’s eyes widened, but momentum kept it going – directly into a boulder. Electrium closed its jaws on the rock, crunching it, but there went its attack. It stopped and ducked its head down, right in time to get hit by another giant wad of earth hot on the trail of the first. It screeched and fired up another Thunder Fang, dashing towards Larvitar again. This time, though, Electrium was too close to be swatted off with some rocks, so our green dinosaur friend took a step back and held his arms out like someone in a green tunic trying to halt a bull.

Electrium ducked to get closer to the ground and opened its mouth wide, flickers of static illuminating the pointy teeth inside with striking contrast. Electrium was almost right over Larvitar now, and it went in for the attack…

…which didn’t do anything.

Larvitar held up his arms, an almost bored expression evident from his frown, and let the electricity pass through his body without batting an eye.

Electrium blinked, dazed for a second but seeming to understand what had happened. It lashed its tail and nodded; having gained some useful information about this new challenger, it would be able to modify the strategy accordingly. Caro raised his eyebrows, having found a nice place to sit on a relatively clean crate.

“The Pok&#233;mon knew about type advantages… not many of them do.” Clyde turned his head to Caro, confusion evident on his face. After a brief silence, Caro started laughing. “Oh! Right, I didn’t tell you, did I? Haha, no, you weren’t here…” He snickered again before returning to what could be called a serious expression if one was standing a few feet away with their back to him. “Ahem. I’m a Pok&#233;mon.”

Clyde opened his mouth to respond, thought better of it, and merely shook his head.

Meanwhile, back on the more exciting part of the wide but secluded street, Larvitar was staring Electrium down with a high-quality death glare. A few seconds later, Electrium whipped its head around ferociously and lunged for Larvitar yet again, jaws open.

“He’s not going to try that again, is he?” asked Saffron.

“No,” replied Sheridan. “See? No electricity. Actually, that energy seems to be red…” She leaned closer towards the battle, squinting.

“Fire Fang,” concluded Grant helpfully.

Larvitar whipped his tail in Casey’s general direction, implying that now would be a lovely time to give him a command.

“Sandstorm.”

The sand that had been trickling out of Larvitar’s body at a slow but steady pace since the battle started almost immediately rose in frequency, until the stuff was practically flying out. Larvitar waved his arms around a few times, sending the mounds of dirt and rock up into the air. It allowed just enough time to shoot Electrium an evil grin before the flakes flew.

Electrium yowled a couple of times and lunged at a spot he thought was Larvitar.

Throwing your body weight onto a Dumpster is not a pleasant experience; Electrium learned this the hard way, having missed the Ground-type Pok&#233;mon completely. It turned and pointed one claw at the Electric-type, giving a raspy laugh. (Caro was frowning disapprovingly.) Electrium scampered away from the Dumpster, eyes glinting maliciously, and launched right back into his Bite.

Larvitar, in his amusement, had failed to notice this – not a wise decision in the heat of battle, obviously, and yet he had failed to get the memo. And so Larvitar was still laughing at Electrium’s previous misfortune when a bunch of extremely sharp fangs bit down on his extremely tough skin.

Had this been a more, ahem, ‘official’ entry, now would have been the time where everyone were to be subjected to a glorious explosion of dust and sound. Or maybe just an oxymoron. Either one would have sufficed.

Regardless, Electrium bit down harder. And harder. And harder. Larvitar had started out by gritting his teeth, but it soon became apparent that the Electric-type had no intention of letting go, and he began to squeak (adorably). Casey noticed almost immediately, and he wasn’t pleased. He began to walk forward, thought better of it, and stopped where he was. It wasn’t necessary to mention that he was glaring daggers and laser beams the ferocity of which had never been previously documented. He had even gotten a syllable out of his mouth before a much more commanding voice barked out of nowhere.

“STOP!”

Out of a side alley stormed an absolutely furious Stathis, glaring daggers and laser beams under his low-rimmed blue beanie. Electrium apparently heard him and released his jaws just slightly; Larvitar, being the crafty little monster he was, slipped out and scuttled away. Electrium made a move to follow, but that notion was quickly shut down.

“NO.”

Electrium froze.

Still boiling (as was made perfectly clear by his actions), Stathis held out a Pok&#233;ball. At the same time, Casey did the same exact thing. Within moments the feuding Pok&#233;mon had both been recalled, with their owners staring at the other.

“Sorry, man,” he grunted. “I should’ve told you before.”

“It’s alright,” Casey sighed. “The Pok&#233;mon Center should be able to handle it…”

“No, it isn’t.”

“What?” Casey blinked. “You really think he was hurt that hard?”

“Not the Pok&#233;mon!” Stathis ground his boot into the road. “Yeah, I should have told you about his temper tantrums… I was all caught up in the idea of getting him reined in again and didn’t explain. Maybe wanted him to let off some steam an’… never mind, never mind.” He shook his head, slinging the wire jump-rope over his shoulder. “Here, follow me… I’m going back.”

“You mean you can actually find your way out of this place?” Clyde grumbled.

“Sure I can,” remarked Stathis, his mood suddenly improved. “Lived here since I was a kid, you know. I ran around these backstreets here all m’life… a lot of people have compared them to the Labyrinth, you know.”

“Labyrinth… that sounds familiar,” pondered Casey.

“It’s over in Raxi City,” continued Stathis. “Almost half the Slums are eaten up by it. The whole place is, like, made up of windy side alleys, and it’s pitch black all times of day. A Venomoth could get lost in there. Of course, this place isn’t as famous or as dangerous as the Raxi Labyrinth, but… it’s pretty similar.”

“Where is this Raxi place?” asked Casey, whipping out his JAWS to scour the ‘map’ function. “Sounds interesting.”

“It’s the next Gym on the circuit. You won’t miss i—” Stathis halted suddenly. “Oh!” He whirled around to point a finger at Casey again. “You was able to find my dude until I could control him. That means you did all the stuff for the Gym Badge! …Sorta.” He fished around in his jacket pocket and pulled out a small metal object. It was interesting, to say the least – a red circle inside of a black one, with a lightning bolt pattern laid over both of them. “Have fun with your Voltage Badge, dude.”

Casey took it with a smile and a “Thank you,” holding it up to look over his newest piece of official League shiny.

The procession continued with Stathis leading the way proudly, not stopping to check direction once. Within a matter of minutes the group found themselves standing right back in front of Fort Rhion’s Gym.

“This is where we part, peeps,” the red-haired Gym Leader remarked. “Personally, I’d just go back to the Pok&#233;mon Center for now; going into Holon Forest after dark is like a death wish. Good luck on your challenge, man.” With a final nod he disappeared into the darkness of the Gym, leaving the Groupie Galaxy in the streets.

The group had finally found their way back into the Pok&#233;mon Center, and later their rooms, and Casey was ready to flop on the bed and simply sleep.

Of course, Amarachi would have none of that.

Casey entered the room to find the little pink-clad girl plopped on his bed, sitting cross-legged and apparently waiting for him to enter. Too tired to put up much of a fight, Casey threw his stuff on the floor and tried to swat her out the window in a half-awake stupor. When Amarachi resisted, he finally committed a sizable part of his brain to dealing with her and asked, “What do you want?”

“I’m here to tell you my name,” she said.

“So after you’ve told me your name you’ll leave?” Casey set to work stuffing his few belongings into various chests and drawers.

“Amarachi.”

“Huh?” The teenager looked up from his work.

“Amarachi. It’s my name.”

“Oh,” he replied. “Okay. Nice name.”

Amarachi nodded. “Do you know what the Delta Species are?”

“Vaguely,” he replied. “They’re Pok&#233;mon who were scientifically enhanced to have new powers and stuff.”

“They used to be that.” Amarachi frowned, her mask’s eyes boring into Casey’s skull. “Recent developments suggest otherwise.”

“Oh yeah?” he replied. “So why do I care?”

“’Cos you’ll be seeing a lot of them. You saw a lot of them.” Amarachi stood up on the bed then, turning towards the open window. Casey (who was facing the other way) failed to notice this – at least until she made a move towards it, suggesting that the girl was going to actually leap out.

“Wh—hey!”

He swiveled around and scrambled across the room, planning to catch Amarachi before she scampered off. He found, much to his dismay, that he was too late…

Biting his lip, Casey peered down to the ground, not particularly enjoying the concept of a kid-sized corpse under his window. Instead, though, he watched as the caped enigma darted off into the trees.

“This is wrong,” sighed the Trainer as he flopped onto his bed again. “So, so wrong.” Suddenly, though, he paused. The mattress under his head felt very hard, quite unlike the rest of the bed. Sitting up again with some mental prompting, he fished around under the pillows for quite a while until he found the source of the unusual firmness.

It was a briefcase.
    Last edited by Giratina!; 16th April 2010 at 6:12 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast