Page 127 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 4196

Thread: Digimon, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    What repetitive storyline?

Did you watch a different Digimon Xros wars because it story line was completely different from the others and the only thing that they borrow was Taiki being sent back to the real world, which was only done 2 times.
    Sorry for interjecting like this but I don't think he means that it stole from previous storylines, I think what he meant was that due to the way the story was structured around arcs and bite sized stories, the plot typically didn't move forward as much and that allowed the story to become tedious at times.

What boring and unlikable human characters?

They were all fine and was done well.
    Well personally I felt this group of human characters really got screwed over in the character department. Due to the way the storyline was structured, they didn't really allow for the characters to be focused on except for when it was needed so a lot of the characters didn't really get the development that they needed or got some development but it stagnated after a while. Taiki in particular also suffered since he never struggles or grows as a character and lacked enough flaws to keep him well rounded. And as Flintoff said earlier, the same holds true for the YH crowd except even more so since they had an even better base to build off of and still never went anywhere.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 18th August 2012 at 5:34 AM.

Oh wait what?

That is what the dub version did it largely 95% translated the Japanese version word for word, the 5% was just changed for corny one-liners or changing a Japanese joke that couldn't be translated.
    If you honestly believe in the validity of those percentages and just didn't pull them out of your *** you're kidding yourself. Head over to Digimon Uncensored and do some of that research you like to tell people to do so much on those "5% changes."

Not if the original Japanese version was written in a way where it can't be done.

Beside the Japanese version of Xros Wars was entertaining and I see no reason why the dubber won't translate it word for words, while adding the corny one-liners and changing a Japanese joke that couldn't be translated.

Then why are you bothered about the English version?

What repetitive storyline?

Did you watch a different Digimon Xros wars because it story line was completely different from the others and the only thing that they borrow was Taiki being sent back to the real world, which was only done 2 times.
    There's nothing stopping any dubber from changing whatever they damn please, they can leave the script as it is or change whatever they can get away with changing and there's nothing either of us can do about it.

I'm bothered about the English version because I'm an English speaker and a digimon fan, who wants to see more of the franchise that's pretty much been killed off in the west.

And Xros Wars' storyline was extremely repetitive. The first twenty-eight or so episodes consisted of an endless search for Maguffins that I for the life of me can't even remember what they were for, in several different "zones" of the Digital World, which after so long was hard to distinguish from one another (Green Zone, Lake Zone). Things started looking up when Tactimon showed up and owned everybody (and then was unceremoniously killed off...man, that made me mad) and the Death Generals arc started. It also started out good but fell into the repetitious formula as well, with the team fighting each of the Death Generals one by one in seven other different zones or whatever they were called. It didn't help that the only two Death Generals who felt like any sort of threat (Dorbickmon and NeoVamdemon) were the first two defeated and most of the latter ones were jokes. Look at Splashmon and that insect guy...and don't even get me started on Olegmon or Apollomon. When I hear the phrase "Death General" I expect to see some awesome villain who wants to you know, kill (as in death) everyone. Not a lame viking who preaches about the importance of friendship or someone who was only faking being evil in the first place.

The Digimon Hell or whatever it was called was also pretty uninteresting, and Bagramon was a lame final villain. After I had sat through fifty episodes, at least thirty of which could've easily been thrown out without losing anything to the overall storyline, being preached about how much of a bad dude Bagramon is (even though all he did was sit on his damn throne the entire season), I was already sick of him by the time he actually decided to do something. DarkKnightmon should've been the final villain. He was much more interesting, and was an actual direct threat to the team throughout most of the season.

And duh, of course Xros Wars has a completely different storyline from the earlier seasons. It's a brand new continuity.

What boring and unlikable human characters?

They were all fine and was done well.
    Xros Wars? Having human characters that were done well? Don't make me laugh. Taiki was nothing but a Gary-Stu who had no flaws and could turn any kind of disaster into pure gold. He never struggled with anything or had any real human problems, unlike previous goggleheads whom you could relate to because they seemed like actual real kids. Due to that and the fact he had no personality, it was kinda hard to bring myself to give a phuck about him or even like him. I remember when they were fighting that lameo Splashmon, things were looking like they had turned the dog evil and Taiki was completely oblivious to it. That made me happy. Finally we have some actual conflict for Taiki! But nope, instead he was an apparent mind-reader and immediately knew there was a problem going on. I wanted to bang my head on the desk.

Kiriha was only used as a plot device the entire season. He had no explanataion to even being in the Digital World for the first half of the series, and was just some lame rival. After he joined Xros Heart he became extremely jumpy and only acted however the plot demanded him to act at the time. I loved how during the Death Generals saga they always gave him a reason to want to leave the group in every single mini arc.

Nene was also in the Digital World for apparently no reason for the first sixteen or so episodes, but then we get the foreshadowing with Yuu or whatnot and that's fine, at least they started doing something with her. But then she joined Xros Heart (way too quickly and without much persuading or reason to, I might add) and proceeded to do absolutely nothing for the rest of the series. She didn't even do much when it came to saving HER brother, which was supposed to be the main point of her character's arc! Instead, they had Taiki save Yuu, and Nene just continued to be fanservice with BigBoobsmon for the rest of the season.

The idea of Yuu was interesting...I guess, but it really didn't work out in practice. He was just there to be the creepy kid for about eighteen episodes. They should've saved him sooner and give him some more character development. For the record though I did like him a lot in Young Hunters. He was actually my favorite character in that season.

As for Akari and Zenjirou, lol. They had no reason for existing, had no personal storyline or character development, and achieved absolutely nothing. They were just there to be Taiki's cheerleaders for thirty episodes. It got so bad to the point that the show itself even admitted they were useless and just dumped them after the first arc! I don't care what Omnimon said about how he only had the strength to send Taiki back to the Digital World, that "plot point" could've just as easily been thrown into the trash and instead, he could've said he did have the energy to send all three back. Not that I'm complaining, if the show had no plans for them I'm glad they were dumped.

Either nothing at all or cover her up.
    Nothing at all? In this day and age? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoff Cypress View Post
    I'm a little jealous that you feel that way. I liked the characters in the series (especially the better-rounded cast in Young Hunters) and the fact that they are quite screwed out of much (or any, really) character development disappoints me. Cases in point: Ren and Ryouma. So much wasted plot potential and questions that could have been answered with the tiniest bit of exposition! (What happened to Ryouma in 78/79 is hardly development.)
    The Young Hunters cast I thought was better than the original cast, but aside from Yuu and the (to some extent) the girl who's name escapes me at the moment, they didn't have much development either. I did enjoy Taiki a lot more in Young Hunters though (being a mentor instead of the hero is a much better role for him), and Tagiru was charming. But lol @ Ren. Did he do anything throughout the entirety of the series? The COTWs did more than him.

I'll end this by saying I'm probably sounding a lot more negative than I mean to when it comes to Xros Wars, and I apologize to people who really liked the series. But it did have many flaws that I just can't easily look past.
    Last edited by Weedy Spyze; 18th August 2012 at 6:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    I'm bothered about the English version because I'm an English speaker and a digimon fan, who wants to see more of the franchise that's pretty much been killed off in the west.
    The franchise has not been "pretty much killed off in the west" unless you're going to try and claim it was "pretty much killed off" in Japan as well. Any of the franchise's material that it was feasible to localize, was localized.

But it did have many flaws that I just can't easily look past.
    A lot of which are subjective, on your part, like complaining that you can't distinguish between the Green Zone and the Lake Zone. Try hard enough and you could do a poo-poo summary of any of the seasons like that.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    The franchise has not been "pretty much killed off in the west" unless you're going to try and claim it was "pretty much killed off" in Japan as well. Any of the franchise's material that it was feasible to localize, was localized.

A lot of which are subjective, on your part, like complaining that you can't distinguish between the Green Zone and the Lake Zone. Try hard enough and you could do a poo-poo summary of any of the seasons like that.
    Oh really? When was the last time any Digimon material was released in the west? I mean, Digimon doesn't even have an official English website anymore. :/

Of all the things I complained about, that insignificant one was what you threw back? Listen, there's nothing subjective about my complaint that the storyline was repetitive. It was. If you wish to argue that, go ahead and try. A lot of the character flaws I listed are pretty legit criticisms as well. Any decent writer could tell you that Akari and Zenjirou were very poorly written characters who were never given anything to do or any reason to be in the storyline.

And yeah you could pick apart flaws for any season of Digimon, nothing's perfect. But we weren't talking about the other seasons, we were talking about Xros Wars.

Oh really? When was the last time any Digimon material was released in the west?
    What was the last significant entry/catalyst in the franchise prior to Xros Wars?

Of all the things I complained about, that insignificant one was what you threw back?
    First one that jumped out at me.

And yeah you could pick apart flaws for any season of Digimon, nothing's perfect. But we weren't talking about the other seasons, we were talking about Xros Wars.
    But then why penalize Xros Wars for being no worse than any previous incarnation? The point I was trying to make is that your writeup has you actively looking for things to dislike about Xros Wars, when again, the series is no more guilty of these faults than past incarnations.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Well, I agree that all previous season had their flaws but so does everything. However, while I am not too fond of Xros Wars and I am partially loathe the last third of the season. Also, Xros Wars IMO is another case of a good idea that was poorly executed.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .: DA | Tumblr | MAL :.

Oh really? When was the last time any Digimon material was released in the west?
    Last game we got was Digimon World Championship.

Which was released in 2008 for both Japan, and America. The former getting the game just a few months earlier than we did.

We also got the first 3 Digimon Story games for the DS around the same time that Japan did (once again, a few months after them). Both during and after the Savers run in Japan, but before it ever aired on TV in the U.S...

Which makes me wonder just what happened to Lost Evolution, as it's been out for 2 years now in Japan :T

And it's not like it has any connection to Xros Wars...

Not like World Data Squad, I mean. Where it's based on the most recent TV series, and wasn't released in America until the corresponding show was finally localized.

*shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi
    Also nice sig.

RADIANT BLAZE ~

They could bring over Super Xros Wars or the Adventure RPG, though I think it'll pretty much hinge on the show doing well since those games are on dying platforms.

WtW has just confirmed that recording will start next week. They also gave a hint, one (and only that one) of these voice actors will play one of the core Shoutmon X4 characters listed.

Steve Blum: Ballistamon or Starmon
    Kirk Thornton: Shoutmon, Ballistamon or Starmon
    Kyle Herbert: Shoutmon, Ballistamon or Dorurumon
    Jeff Nimoy: Shoutmon or Dorurumon

Edit: Forgot Ballistamon for Kyle Herbert.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 31st August 2012 at 8:15 PM.

Steve Blum?

All my money.

But I'd like him as Beelzemon...though Dorulumon sounds nice.
    Last edited by lolipiece; 31st August 2012 at 5:57 PM.

I'm fine with any of those voice actors voicing any of those digimon. I can't wait to see who it is. Should be awesome.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 21 is up.

Thread bump? I think? Oh well, Digimon's still alive at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    WtW has just confirmed that recording will start next week. They also gave a hint, one (and only that one) of these voice actors will play one of the characters listed.

Steve Blum: Ballistamon or Starmon
    Kirk Thornton: Shoutmon, Ballistamon or Starmon
    Kyle Hebert: Shoutmon or Dorurumon
    Jeff Nimoy: Shoutmon or Dorurumon
    Jeff Nimoy, haven't heard him in so long, he's so underrated, I honestly think he would suit Shoutmon nicely. Then again, Kyle Herbert's preformance as Kamina in Gurren Lagann comes to mind making him fit Shoutmon to an extent though I don't know how raspy he can make his voice if you know what I mean. Looking at Kirk Thornton's previous work in Digimon, I can't hear him as any of the listed characters. As for Steve Blum, well, he's everyone's trump card and I have a feeling he's going to be in the dub no doubt. Then again, I'm just judging from their previous work I've heard, and I haven't heard much of Thorton's work. All in all, with a line up of dub actors like this, I have high hopes for the rest of the dub.

All and all, glad the little ones are being exposed to good acting and my gut is telling me that it will be Herbert voicing Shoutmon.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Oh good, I guess all that waiting for the dub was worth the wait.

Credits to PopPrincess_Lyra for the awesome banner.
    I adopted Rufflet.

Name: Washibon
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    A proud member of the Digimon Club.
    Come join NOW!

English Digimon voice acting is always great, so I has no worries

I just hope that an English dub means English Xros Loaders go on sale :T

Cuz I never found any of the DigiVice Burst toys in stores when Data Squad was around...

RADIANT BLAZE ~

Screw it, my money's half on Blum as Ballistamon and the other half on Hebert as Shoutmon. Now hurry up so the little ones don't get bad tastes as they listen to the ear piercing awfulness that are other dub companies. Wait, that's a terrible idea...take as much time as you need to make it sound as good as possible.

My money is on Kyle Hebert for Shoutmon. I think the role suits him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    My money is on Kyle Hebert for Shoutmon. I think the role suits him IMO.
        Spoiler:- Is it beacuse of this guy?:

^I will not confirm or deny that claim.

If Kyle Hebert is Shoutmon, then Yuri Lowenthal has to do Taiki :P

The everlasting combination strikes again...

I actually think that he would do well as Taiki regardless, though.

RADIANT BLAZE ~

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Empoleon View Post
    If Kyle Hebert is Shoutmon, then Yuri Lowenthal has to do Taiki :P

The everlasting combination strikes again...

I actually think that he would do well as Taiki regardless, though.
    Only this time, Herbert's character doesn't die a 1/3 of the way through...I think...I don't know, I haven't watched all of Xros Wars. Aside from that, I agree with you on your opinion on Lowenthal but we'll wait and see the choices with time.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Only this time, Herbert's character doesn't die a 1/3 of the way through...I think...I don't know, I haven't watched all of Xros Wars. Aside from that, I agree with you on your opinion on Lowenthal but we'll wait and see the choices with time.
    Nope. Shoutmon doesn't die till the second to last episode.

He got better.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Nope. Shoutmon doesn't die till the second to last episode.

He got better.
    Okay...anyways, your speculation, lolipiece?

I actually really like Digimon.

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

I watched adventure 1-2 and tamers. I liked tamers the most, Bellizemon was awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by 5221A View Post
    I watched adventure 1-2 and tamers. I liked tamers the most, Bellizemon was awsome.
    He's in the latest season you know.

It's been leaked, Saban brands is the one that has the license to the show and they'll be dubbing the first 30 episodes as the first season.

Also, Saban's composer Noam Kaniel will be working on the series, who did the theme songs to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Power Rangers Samurai and X-men.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 4th September 2012 at 4:00 PM.

Page 127 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137 ... LastLast