Page 136 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 4058

Thread: Digimon, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    The Tamers kids aren't Digidestined.

And that was a dub error in the first Tamers movie when that was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    And that was a dub error in the first Tamers movie when that was said.
    IIRC, people have been making that mistake for longer then that (dub's fault or not, I can't say) since I remember a old fan website referring to the Tamers and Frontier bunch as "Digidestined" before the movie was even dubbed in 2005. Granted, the movie may not have helped, but it wasn't guilty of starting it either.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 4th November 2012 at 1:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    IIRC, people have been making that mistake for longer then that (dub's fault or not, I can't say) since I remember a old fan website referring to the Tamers and Frontier bunch as "Digidestined" before the movie was even dubbed in 2005. Granted, the movie may not have helped, but it wasn't guilty of starting it either.
    Really? That far off? I remembered the movies, the others, showing years ago and that was the first I heard that being said in the first tamers movie.

Speaking of Tamers, the ending was sad where as Season 2 was subjective and Frontier had closure. Haven't seen Data Squad's ending yet.

Wait, the Tamer children aren't considered Degidestined? Why is that? I though that any child chosen to be a Digimon's partner was considered one. Don't tell me I miss some sort of deeper and more specific explanation.
    A soul that cannot be saved drifts and disappears,
    In the instant it vanishes, it shines faintly,
    Now, it creates a night with a full moon.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiMirage View Post
    Wait, the Tamer children aren't considered Degidestined? Why is that? I though that any child chosen to be a Digimon's partner was considered one. Don't tell me I miss some sort of deeper and more specific explanation.
    The term "Chosen Children" ("DigiDestined" in the dub) only exists for Adventure/02 and Frontier, anything else is a "Tamer", or whatever term is used in each serial ("General" and "Hunter" in XW). Tamer is the most generic term in the franchise and is used almost universally, to the point that one of the WonderSwan Adventure games explains that "every Chosen Child is a Tamer, but the reverse is not always true". Also, using "chosen" in your phrasing is also wrong, one of the main points in Tamers is that the children weren't chosen.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

Besides Wendee Lee is any of the original season 1 cast still VAing? Just curious if they do bring the game here if they will replace all or if they could get some if not most of the original cast

Quote Originally Posted by AuraMaster View Post
    Besides Wendee Lee is any of the original season 1 cast still VAing? Just curious if they do bring the game here if they will replace all or if they could get some if not most of the original cast
    Tai's VA is out.

I assume they'll use the replacement from the Revenge of Diaboromon movie.

Isn't that guy doing Mikey, too? Or so I hear?

Quote Originally Posted by G-SANtos View Post
    The term "Chosen Children" ("DigiDestined" in the dub) only exists for Adventure/02 and Frontier, anything else is a "Tamer", or whatever term is used in each serial ("General" and "Hunter" in XW). Tamer is the most generic term in the franchise and is used almost universally, to the point that one of the WonderSwan Adventure games explains that "every Chosen Child is a Tamer, but the reverse is not always true". Also, using "chosen" in your phrasing is also wrong, one of the main points in Tamers is that the children weren't chosen.
    Very interesting. Thanks for explaining the differences.

On the subject though, what's the whole Takato mysteriously finding the blue card that allows Guilmon to be "created" considered as, if it's not being "chosen"? Cause that's petty much why I considered them as such.

I think there all still VAing, but probably not as much as Wendee Lee. i don't know if they'll bring the games here....what was the last one? Digimon World Championships i think.
    WHITE2: 0906 0589 1140
    X: 0216 0799 9223

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Isn't that guy doing Mikey, too? Or so I hear?
    As far as I know, there's still no info about the English cast and everything is speculation. I heard there was even a fake list posted on Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiMirage View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for explaining the differences.

On the subject though, what's the whole Takato mysteriously finding the blue card that allows Guilmon to be "created" considered as, if it's not being "chosen"? Cause that's petty much why I considered them as such.
    I don't remember, but I know the Blue Cards were created (or at least spread around) by a human and not some powerful entity. You even see in one episode that a guy     Spoiler:- the guy's identity:
    randomly trhowed a Blue Card (disguised as a normal card) to a kid, and it the card was passed to many people until it, by chance I suppose, ended in the Tamers' hands. I don't remember the details, but I think the only special thing on these Blue Cards is that they have a code created by SHIBUMI, one of the guys involved with the Digimon creation.
    Last edited by G-SANtos; 5th November 2012 at 3:55 PM.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

Right, I think I remember something like that. Also remember how the creators were really involved near the end, so that would explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Pokémon preceded the Digimon virtual pets by about a year.

But that's okay because you shouldn't need to "combat" that steaming pile of argument by this day and age. Anyone who still tries to make the case that one "copied" the other or vice versa is either still in elementary school or just a moron (that's right, I said it) because the franchises are about as different as can possibly be save for the superficial shared elements of lots 'o monsters.
    Hey, I believe Digimon was meant to capitalize on Pokemon's popularity. That does not mean they're 100% similar; it doesn't even mean they're 10% similar. A cash in doesn't need to be exactly like the thing it's imitating. For example, Moonraker was meant to capitalize on Star Wars, but Moonraker is a very different movie.

Having said that, I see nothing wrong with rip-offs. After all, Star Wars was a Flash Gordon ripoff, and I, a Pokemon-obsessed kid, tried to make my own Pokemon rip-off in the late 90's. As long as they don't get too close, it's okay.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    Hey, I believe Digimon was meant to capitalize on Pokemon's popularity. .
    No it wasn't, in fact it would have been virtually impossible for Digimon to capitalize on Pokémon's popularity. Both Pokémon and Digimon was released at the same period meaning they were both in development at the same time.

How would Bandai ever capitalize on Pokémon's popularity if it didn't even exist at the time, furthermore why would they when Digimon was proven to be popular in it owe unique way?
    Last edited by blaze boy; 5th November 2012 at 6:26 PM.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

I know i may get hated for this but I always felt Digimon had a better plot and characters then Pokemon. A lot of the Digimon charecters have things going for them while in Pokemon it seems they don't as much. I mean both are kids shows but I always felt Digimon had more mature elements like divorce or hatred towards a parent

Digimon stems from considerably less source material than Pokémon does, and unlike Pokémon, Digimon's source material dictates no plots, no overarching stories, no characters, nada. Thus the Digimon animated iterations are free to create their own in each of those categories, leading to a completely different "everything" from what Pokémon does as an animated adaptation.

This doesn't make either one inherently superior or inferior to how the other operates and executes, it simply makes them different.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I'm sure they do use the term, because it's a term with meaning in this franchise.
    I don't think they would use the term if they didn't mean what was actually said.

It doesn't change the fact that Sparrowmon and Mervamon didn't end up with Nene the same way the partners from Adventure did with their humans. Nene could theoretically discard the two and find new partners. Taichi can't really dump Agumon. That's what I meant.
    So could any of the Tamers in the manga and games, to the point that in V-Tamer Neo Saiba actually changes Partners every battle. And guess what, the term "Partner" is actually used in the manga, and I think in some games.
    Plus, Taiki and Kiriha can evolve Shoutmon and MetalGreymon, and we know they can't just evolve any other Digimon in their teams. Basically, they are Partners.

Putting aside the fact that it simply doesn't work that way as far as which country is "richer", it's a simple matter of fact that licensing the original music, especially the vocal themes, costs a lot of money, and as much as we don't like to hear it, the production is on a budget. Just because they could theoretically spend that money doesn't mean doing so is the smartest decision.
    Well, here in Brazil we always license every show's music (or the music of the version that the dub is based, ex.: Pokémon is based on the English dub, Cardcaptor Sakura is based on the original, and Viewtiful Joe is based on the Latin Spanish version which used the Japanese music), so shouldn't they also be able to do the same in USA? Assuming they have enough budget, please explain me how it could be an unsmart decision.

Digimon stems from considerably less source material than Pokémon does, and unlike Pokémon, Digimon's source material dictates no plots, no overarching stories, no characters, nada. Thus the Digimon animated iterations are free to create their own in each of those categories, leading to a completely different "everything" from what Pokémon does as an animated adaptation.

This doesn't make either one inherently superior or inferior to how the other operates and executes, it simply makes them different.
    Personally, I consider Pokémon (anime) far inferior in terms of plot and character development.
    Last edited by G-SANtos; 5th November 2012 at 8:26 PM.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    No it wasn't, in fact it would have been virtually impossible for Digimon to capitalize on Pokémon's popularity. Both Pokémon and Digimon was released at the same period meaning they were both in development at the same time.

How would Bandai ever capitalize on Pokémon's popularity if it didn't even exist at the time, furthermore why would they when Digimon was proven to be popular in it owe unique way?
    Why is Star Wars popular in it's own unique way if it's a Flash Gordon ripoff? Simple, Star Wars offered it's own unique spin on things. Likewise, Digimon is popular in it's own unique way because it has it's own unique spin. I already admitted that they aren't exactly the same.

Pokemon was released in 1996; Digimon was released in 1997. Assuming that Bandai had a large-ish team of talented developers, the game have been could be completed in less than a year, especially if they reused code from Tamagotchi. Furthermore, for Digimon to be considered a Pokemon ripoff, Bandai did not need to start developing their game after Pokemon came out; they would have wanted a way to market virtual pets to boys with or without Pokemon. It just means that some elements of the final product may have been influenced by Pokemon. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    Why is Star Wars popular in it's own unique way if it's a Flash Gordon ripoff? Simple, Star Wars offered it's own unique spin on things. Likewise, Digimon is popular in it's own unique way because it has it's own unique spin. I already admitted that they aren't exactly the same.

Pokemon was released in 1996; Digimon was released in 1997. Assuming that Bandai had a large-ish team of talented developers, the game have been could be completed in less than a year, especially if they reused code from Tamagotchi. Furthermore, for Digimon to be considered a Pokemon ripoff, Bandai did not need to start developing their game after Pokemon came out; they would have wanted a way to market virtual pets to boys with or without Pokemon. It just means that some elements of the final product may have been influenced by Pokemon. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Dude, the resemblance of Pokémon and Digimon is a coincidence. Bandai wanted to market Tamagotchi for boys and then the first Digimon virtual pet. Pokémon took one year and a half to become popular, as it was IGNORED by media when it was released, because the GameBoy was believed to be a dead console. There's no way Bandai could have ripped off something that they probably didn't even know it existed. It's a coincidence.

With that said, here goes a question: Would you guys like a Pokémon and Digimon crossover?
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

Right now I want to crawl underneath a rock...kidding.

A Pokemon/Digimon crossover could be cool.

A crossover where Pokemon fight Digimon or crossover where they work together?

Work together since the pokémon are vastly outmatched compare to the Digimon, thus not making it a fair fight.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Okay guys, if we're making our own university, we'll be the Smogon of Digimon.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Work together since the pokémon are vastly outmatched compare to the Digimon, thus not making it a fair fight.
    Yup, lots of god-like beings not to mention if the power of the attacks on the old trading cards were on the same scale of the power of the attacks on Pokemon cards...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

You know , I was wondering that who's lucky person who married Kari.
    Because the way TK & Kari was close , Only Devis had a chance since he actually saved the Digital World.
    To think that they lost to a Random person , I wanted to know that awesome random person.
    To I thought to myself , What if There is a cross-over between Digital World & Pokemon World where Kari meet Ash and work together to save both world.
    Or Zekrem some bring Ash to Digital World where he meets Kari.
    Then They fall for each other and find the way to cross over to each other world So they can stay with each other forever.
    Bizarre plot but never happening because-
    -Ash probably the worst loser and the lamest protagonist in the whole Universe . There no way someone like Kari would fall for a loser like that.
    -There was Signature where Ash challenge Sora but Intimidated when she Digivolved her Digimon. It clearly show Why a Cross-over between Digimon & Pokemon isn't a good idea.

I don't think they would use the term if they didn't mean what was actually said.
    I didn't say they didn't "mean it". I said they used it because it's a term with meaning in this franchise.

So could any of the Tamers in the manga and games, to the point that in V-Tamer Neo Saiba actually changes Partners every battle. And guess what, the term "Partner" is actually used in the manga, and I think in some games.
    Doesn't this prove my point to a certain degree? That even as a term with meaning, the meaning of "partner" differs somewhat between iterations?

Assuming they have enough budget, please explain me how it could be an unsmart decision.
    Because budgets are finite. You could spend the money necessary to license the music, but if that nearly exhausts the entire budget on its own, is that really worth it?

Personally, I consider Pokémon (anime) far inferior in terms of plot and character development.
    ...okay...? Consider it that all you like...?

With that said, here goes a question: Would you guys like a Pokémon and Digimon crossover?
    Oh no no no. Do we really have to do this? What if--

Quote Originally Posted by vodor View Post
    Because the way TK & Kari was close , Only Devis had a chance since he actually saved the Digital World.
    To think that they lost to a Random person , I wanted to know that awesome random person.
    To I thought to myself , What if There is a cross-over between Digital World & Pokemon World where Kari meet Ash and work together to save both world.
    Then They fall for each other and find the way to cross over to each other world So they can stay with each other forever.
    -Ash probably the worst loser and the lamest protagonist in the whole Universe . There no way someone like Kari would fall for a loser like that.
    -There was Signature where Ash challenge Sora but Intimidated when she Digivolved her Digimon. It clearly show Why a Cross-over between Digimon & Pokemon isn't a good idea.
    ARRRRGH. See?! See what you did?! This is on you!

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by vodor View Post
    Wow that sounds like the most terrible Digimon fanfiction ever conceived.

Page 136 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast