Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 4134

Thread: Digimon, anyone?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Pokémon preceded the Digimon virtual pets by about a year.

    But that's okay because you shouldn't need to "combat" that steaming pile of argument by this day and age. Anyone who still tries to make the case that one "copied" the other or vice versa is either still in elementary school or just a moron (that's right, I said it) because the franchises are about as different as can possibly be save for the superficial shared elements of lots 'o monsters.
    I remember being about 6 years old and complaining that Digimon stole the suffix "mon". I've really grown up since then.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    393

    Default

    I remember being like that too in elementary school until I actually took the time to watch a few episodes and came to love it more than Pokemon. Unfortunately, the rest of my classmates stuck to bashing Digimon and calling it a ripoff.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas of the USA
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Pokémon preceded the Digimon virtual pets by about a year.

    But that's okay because you shouldn't need to "combat" that steaming pile of argument by this day and age. Anyone who still tries to make the case that one "copied" the other or vice versa is either still in elementary school or just a moron (that's right, I said it) because the franchises are about as different as can possibly be save for the superficial shared elements of lots 'o monsters.
    Pokemon: an RPG in which you can capture monsters and pit them against each other.
    Digimon: a Tamagotchi spinoff in which you can raise creatures and pit them against each other.

    Guess what they both have in common.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MECha View Post
    Guess what they both have in common.
    Yes, the superficial similarity of lots of marketable, collectible monsters. The concept of "raising your creatures and pitting them against each other" hasn't been a key focus of Digimon since the virtual pets were its sole medium and the severe limitations of the virtual pet format made the process a very, very different one than it is in a Pokémon title. The anime series and the smattering of video games have changed the focus and the message of the franchise considerably since then.

    Do we really need to go into every way, in this day and age, that the two franchises are miles apart?



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas of the USA
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Yes, the superficial similarity of lots of marketable, collectible monsters. The concept of "raising your creatures and pitting them against each other" hasn't been a key focus of Digimon since the virtual pets were its sole medium and the severe limitations of the virtual pet format made the process a very, very different one than it is in a Pokémon title. The anime series and the smattering of video games have changed the focus and the message of the franchise considerably since then.

    Do we really need to go into every way, in this day and age, that the two franchises are miles apart?
    Digimon never been a collectible to begin with. Sure it did became one, but that beyond the point. The point I'm trying to make is that both Pokemon and Digimon revolves around fighting creatures. Digimon have that concept as a way to differ itself from Tamagotchi. That and many other games have that fighting monsters aspects to them like Monster Rancher, or Bakugan. That is the only common ground they have. Sure you could add collectibles to the mix, but when you think about it, digimon doesn't really give you that option to begin with (in the Vpets I mean).

    Also, although there isn't much of a strategy in Digimon than there is in Pokemon, doesn't mean it wasn't a competitive game. The owner of the monster can still train it as well as he/she can raise it.
    Last edited by Dr. MECha; 2nd November 2009 at 9:49 PM.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sinnoh region
    Posts
    908

    Default

    I'm halfway through Frontier and I love it. I like the entire cast and it just has the same spirit of season 1.

    Right now my ranking would have to be

    Adventure 01 and 02
    Frontier
    Tamers
    Well let me tell ya something brotha'! The Buizelster doesn't stay down while all the little Buizelmaniacs believe! So what 'cha gonna do now brotha'? What 'cha gonna do when Buizelmania runs wild on youuuuuuuuu!

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Pokémon preceded the Digimon virtual pets by about a year.

    But that's okay because you shouldn't need to "combat" that steaming pile of argument by this day and age. Anyone who still tries to make the case that one "copied" the other or vice versa is either still in elementary school or just a moron (that's right, I said it) because the franchises are about as different as can possibly be save for the superficial shared elements of lots 'o monsters.
    I agree with you, the franchises are completely, totally different, and yet shortly before me asking the question here someone had managed to pull me into a debate of weather or not it was a ripoff. Some people are really ignorant I guess.

    The only time I thought digimon copied pokemon was when I played Digimon World 3 for a while and saw they had me fight a digimon gym to get a badge. But still, this wasn't the focus of the story (or not a big part of it. I didn't play the game all the way through) and the gyms seemed to just be a way to let you access the next server.

    (Also, the Poke-Walker kinda reminds me of the Digimon V-Pets... but I wouldn't really call it a ripoff as its not as much about raising your monster (Like feeding and stuff) as the V-Pets were)
    Last edited by Gamekrazy; 3rd November 2009 at 3:39 PM.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    think smarter, not harder=]
    Posts
    501

    Default

    i saw only the first season and some of the second one...

    i stopoed half way...i thought the cast was boring.....

    but the 1 season was really really great especially the dub.

    i didn't see the 3, 4 and 5 season because i really loved the original children (and their digimon) and it feels like anything else will be boring but i might watch it since everyone say those are good seasons....
    1. You are now reading my signature.
    2. You are wondering why you are reading it?
    3.You say that you are already half way so why not?
    5. You didn't notice I skipped 4
    6. You are now chacking if I mist four.
    8. You are now smiling.
    9. You didn't notice I skipped 7.
    10. hehehe!!!!
    11. I love ya all for reading my signature!!!!=]



    [IMG]http://i35.*******.com/2zsb7g1.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i33.*******.com/flyiiq.png[/IMG]

    credit belong to the one and only Rosemary!
    thank you so much


    If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sinnoh region
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Does it really matter? It's obvious the two are different series. Why are we even arguing about this if it's obvious they shouldn't be compared?
    Well let me tell ya something brotha'! The Buizelster doesn't stay down while all the little Buizelmaniacs believe! So what 'cha gonna do now brotha'? What 'cha gonna do when Buizelmania runs wild on youuuuuuuuu!

  10. #110

    Default

    When I was a kid, Pokemon was good, but it seemed to be more about the games and cards, but I still watched the series. But Digimon in my eyes seemed way more awesome, like a DBZ type of action Anime.

    And I always collected the little figures and the transforming figures. I still have my Transforming Special edition Gold Augumon who becomes Wargreymon. =D
    Last edited by Super Saiyan 3 Goku; 3rd November 2009 at 10:25 PM.
    SoulSilver FC: 2880 5684 6688

    I follow Satoshi's Pokémon training philosophy; a combination of love and hard work is needed to overcome adversity. I don't breed for the best Pokémon, I don't dwell on natures, I don't care for perfect stats and I don't care for competitive standards. I treat my Pokémon as partners and friends while bringing out their best. Feel free to copy and paste this into your sig if you feel the same way. (Started by Emperor Empoleon)

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sinnoh region
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Just finished Frontier and I pretty much loved the season. The cast was enjoyable, it had the spirit of the first season, and it had a nice mix of digimon and super sentai.

    I'd still rank it above Tamers.
    Well let me tell ya something brotha'! The Buizelster doesn't stay down while all the little Buizelmaniacs believe! So what 'cha gonna do now brotha'? What 'cha gonna do when Buizelmania runs wild on youuuuuuuuu!

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Saiyan 3 Goku View Post
    When I was a kid, Pokemon was good, but it seemed to be more about the games and cards, but I still watched the series. But Digimon in my eyes seemed way more awesome, like a DBZ type of action Anime.

    And I always collected the little figures and the transforming figures. I still have my Transforming Special edition Gold Augumon who becomes Wargreymon. =D
    I have those transforming figures too! That Wargreymon was one of my favorites. I also liked the digivices but I only have the ones from the first season. I'm looking for a d power from the tamers.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    How dare a franchise try something different! Lord knows it can't be a good Digimon series if the goggle boy doesn't have a 3-foot-tall lizard of some sort (orange, blue or red, take your pick) following him around.
    purple if you count Digimon Chronicles (shame that the whole X phase the franchise was going through never had a proper anime adaption... still found Digital Monster X-Evolution awesome, though).

    It was a five-person cast and Digimon, at its core, is a boy-aimed franchise. Not every roster is going to have the male/female ratio that the Adventures and Tamers had.
    not only that, but having just one or two girls is a staple of Super Sentai, of which Frontier seems partially derived from.

    Frontier was guilty of nothing save for trying a different dynamic between the human characters and the Digimon. It retained Adventure's initial concept of kids brought to the Digital World by unknown means for unknown reasons and prior to Savers, it held the distinction of the smallest cast of core kids by the end of the series. Like Adventure, it had a far-reaching plot that grew and transformed exponentially from start to finish and it did all of this anywhere from passably to well. Yet despite all this, it's continually shat upon simply because it didn't have partner Digimon to flit around the screen. Does that really seem like a worthwhile criticism given everything else?
    I still didn't like the whole "we're fighting to protect the Digital World because it's where we were reborn" crap going on near the end. This is probably where it's better to have Partner Digimon... though I would've bought it if they just said they were protecting Bokomon and Neemon's home (and several other Digimon they befriended over the series). But then again, they were only talking like that for about a single scene, so I probably shouldn't get all uppity over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buizelster View Post
    Okay finishing Tamers I'd say as far as the Japanese version goes that I did like it as much as Adventure, but I still don't think it's the best of the seasons thus far. Mainly because over 80% of the entire cast was annoying to the point that I just wanted to see all of them punched in the face. The only exceptions were of course the four main teams of Takato, Ruki, Jenrya, and Ryo whom I felt were the good characters, and side characters like Yamaki, Beezlebumon, Leomon, and Culumon who were actually interesting... Ah what the heck Lopmon was interesting too. It just sucked that she got stuck with someone like Shuichan.

    Ah well. On to Frontier and I can't wait.
    over 80% of the cast? You've just listed practically every majorly recurring character that wasn't reduced to a practically useless side role (and even then, you included Lopmon)... except Juri, though I could somewhat agree with wanting to punch her in the face. While I think her emoness is pretty justified for the most part, that scene where she finally snaps out of it only to leave Beelzebumon hanging... yeah (though her contemplating suicide just an episode later probably shows that she acknowledged herself fucking up badly back there).

    Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

    I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sinnoh region
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post



    I still didn't like the whole "we're fighting to protect the Digital World because it's where we were reborn" crap going on near the end. This is probably where it's better to have Partner Digimon... though I would've bought it if they just said they were protecting Bokomon and Neemon's home (and several other Digimon they befriended over the series). But then again, they were only talking like that for about a single scene, so I probably shouldn't get all uppity over it.
    I don't get it. What was so bad about that? I personally found it a good reason for them to fight for the Digital world, and another thing the fact that it became the "Takuya and Kouji show" around episode 38. It's no different from the first season of Adventure when Taichi and Yamato had the only two megas. So really that wasn't as big a deal as people made it. Plus the others did get to do something so they didn't really just stand around the whole time.



    over 80% of the cast? You've just listed practically every majorly recurring character that wasn't reduced to a practically useless side role (and even then, you included Lopmon)... except Juri, though I could somewhat agree with wanting to punch her in the face. While I think her emoness is pretty justified for the most part, that scene where she finally snaps out of it only to leave Beelzebumon hanging... yeah (though her contemplating suicide just an episode later probably shows that she acknowledged herself fucking up badly back there).
    Well even if they weren't cast as a side role I would have hated them anyways. Hirokazu, Kenta, Shuichan, and Juri were pretty much the worst characters in any Digimon season I've seen. Their digimon were pretty boring and useless with the exception of Leomon and Lopmon. Also remember how the adults in Adventure were actually cool? The adults in Tamers outside of Yamaki just made me facepalm continuously.

    and I know I didn't add Ai and Mako to that list but that's because they weren't very memorable, or they only served to develop Impmon and make him more badass so I guess I was pretty okay with them.

    As for Juri's depression... well that's debatable. I don't think her reasoning of "my mother died and I'm such a bad girl because I don't like my new mom" was a good one for her to be the D-Reaper's guinea pig. Honestly she probably should have died.
    Well let me tell ya something brotha'! The Buizelster doesn't stay down while all the little Buizelmaniacs believe! So what 'cha gonna do now brotha'? What 'cha gonna do when Buizelmania runs wild on youuuuuuuuu!

  15. #115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buizelster View Post
    I don't think her reasoning of "my mother died and I'm such a bad girl because I don't like my new mom" was a good one for her to be the D-Reaper's guinea pig.
    I think you may have forgotten something in there. Something about seing her partner murdered in cold blood before her very eyes? I dunno, seemed important at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buizelster View Post
    Honestly she probably should have died.
    ...



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buizelster View Post

    As for Juri's depression... well that's debatable. I don't think her reasoning of "my mother died and I'm such a bad girl because I don't like my new mom" was a good one for her to be the D-Reaper's guinea pig. Honestly she probably should have died.


    Jeri's mom DIED. It's not just that she didn't get along with the new mom. Her mom died! Leomon died too. I think she had more than enough reasons to be depressed. It didnt' help that her dad offered her no emotional support.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas of the USA
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denizenofevil View Post
    Jeri's mom DIED. It's not just that she didn't get along with the new mom. Her mom died! Leomon died too. I think she had more than enough reasons to be depressed. It didnt' help that her dad offered her no emotional support.
    Lets not forget about that sock puppet of hers.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sinnoh region
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    I think you may have forgotten something in there. Something about seing her partner murdered in cold blood before her very eyes? I dunno, seemed important at the time.



    ...
    Angemon died in front of Takeru. Never turned him emo. I know the circumstances are different in that patamon was reborn, but even so it still scarred Takeru less than it did Juri. Juri was just freakin' nuts to begin with.

    Jeri's mom DIED. It's not just that she didn't get along with the new mom. Her mom died! Leomon died too. I think she had more than enough reasons to be depressed. It didnt' help that her dad offered her no emotional support.
    Leomon's death pushed it over the edge sure, but even so it was brought up constantly about how her step mom is nice and that she should like her, and that she's a bad girl because she doesn't. Honestly if it were just about her mom dying that would be one thing.

    And actually that whole thing came out of left field. To be honest early on Juri was a pretty decent character. I guess they just needed to give her a reason to go batshit insane. I'm just saying that they should have given her a better reason since she had to be the D-Reapers guinea pig. Instead of pretty much cooperating with the D-Reaper because nothing was going the way she wanted it. Just seemed selfish and in a way you could say Juri was the real main villain not D-Reaper. After all D-Reaper was doing everything based on how Juri felt.
    Well let me tell ya something brotha'! The Buizelster doesn't stay down while all the little Buizelmaniacs believe! So what 'cha gonna do now brotha'? What 'cha gonna do when Buizelmania runs wild on youuuuuuuuu!

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FeminineCuttlefish View Post
    ...Anyone?

    ;-;

    ANYWAY I just got done with the first 3 series, Adventure 01, Adventure 02, and Tamers.

    I watched the sub, by the way. Holy crap in 02 Hikari almost got raped. Hah.


    Oh great someone who likes Digimon!.


    Get off the forums!.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas of the USA
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nola231 View Post
    Oh great someone who likes Digimon!.


    Get off the forums!.
    Try telling that to everyone who replied to this thread you idiot.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    265

    Default

    I used to love Digimon when I was younger. Loved the dub, too. I liked how they managed to retain a somewhat dark tone to a lot of the serieses despite the bad jokes and such. Loved the voice cast too.

    Never watched it in Japanese, though. Must get around to that someday.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Also, Yami, about the whole "no opinions and we're all selfish and disrespectful" crap? I only got this to say: Welcome to serebii.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Well, I was quite a fan of the first 3 seasons of Digimon back in the day. The fourth was okay, didn't see the fifth one.

    Also quite miffed about how a couple of Japan-only Wonderswan games were actually canon in Digimon's second and third seasons. But I'll live.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adlas View Post
    Uh-oh. Double-post.
    Edit --> Delete might be a good idea.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Also, Yami, about the whole "no opinions and we're all selfish and disrespectful" crap? I only got this to say: Welcome to serebii.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sinnoh region
    Posts
    908

    Default

    I'm watching Savers now. It isn't really all that different from the dub. Except that citrusmon thing... but I'm only on episode 10 so I'm still fairly early in the series.
    Well let me tell ya something brotha'! The Buizelster doesn't stay down while all the little Buizelmaniacs believe! So what 'cha gonna do now brotha'? What 'cha gonna do when Buizelmania runs wild on youuuuuuuuu!

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Digimon actual show is waay better than pokemon's show. I haven't played Digimon's games so I can't compare nor contrast on that.
    http://pokechamps.net/ - Pokemon online forums. The next best pokemon forums out there. Pokemon roleplay, clans , clubs and also advertising on my forum

Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •