Thread: What to Keep and Remove in possibly the next PMD

Default What to Keep and Remove in possibly the next PMD

In every installation of this series, it seems that most of us come to term that Spike Chunsoft is a middle ground Game Designer and developer of this series. Since in every PMD game, there are missing elements that might have been crucial.

From my own observations of the three PMD sagas, some would give each their strongest highlights and weaknesses minus the first one to some extent for those certain gamers/players. (below are just a couple of their traits said by some people)

Rescue Team Saga:
    -Has the Friend Areas option
    -Proper Gameplay Difficulty
    -Slow game performance

Explorers Saga:
    -Faster Gameplay performance than Rescue
    -More dimensions to NP characters
    -Lots of pokemon to recruit
    -More memorable characters
    -Protagonist is too speechless
    -Less female partners
    -Deeper story compared to Gates to Infinity

Gates to Infinity:
    -Has 3D graphics
    -Better implications of mini quests with the town
    -Protagonist speaks much more this time
    -Better character personalities compared to Explorers and Rescue's characters
    -No female characters in the US version
    -Story didn't outpace the depth and intensity of Explorers
    -Lacks dark and serious themes that Explorers had
    -Less pokemon to have

So, now that we're one with that, what are the things (elements) that the next possible Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series should improve? Implement? Change?

You see, some fans of this series say that this ones great spin off is going down hill thanks to Chunsoft not executing it properly in many of its weak fields. But some also say that despite the limits of Gates to Infinity, it still stayed strong with its strengthsL story, characters, and music.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

All they really need in the next PMD game is more Pokemon and more postgame content. Everything else in Gates was honestly satisfactory to me.

A smaller addition that would be nice would be the return of the species specific hold items from Sky, as it gave you an alternate method of powering up your team to work towards outside of leveling and farming stat boosters. I'd also love if they had something similar to the Pokemon Paradise again; that is, a tangible side goal to work for outside of recruiting all of the Pokemon.

I have high hopes for the story considering the whole theme of life and death that surrounds Xerneas and Yveltal, as well, which could easily make for the darkest story in the series if it's executed properly (Though that's assuming they even decide to make those two a focal point of the story).

Honestly, Gates to Infinity was completely fine by me, the only things I would really add being the Type and Species Exclusive Items, and, what I would like to see return the most; Friend Areas.

But, I would like Post Rescue Team-esque branching side-quests, especially in post-game, as even though GtI was great, the post-game was very bare, and the only minorly plot related thing to happen outside Worldcore being the recruitment of the rest of the Swords of Justice, which wasn't even fully incorporated.

But, while the game itself was horrible, the prospect of Version-Exclusive Dungeons from Squad was a nice touch that could function similar to Exclusive Pokémon in Rescue Team.

Really, the main positive points from the four installments (Friend Areas from Rescue, Exclusive Items from Explorers, Version Based Dungeons from Squad, and Paradise from GtI) are more than enough to make me happy, and regardless of wether they're in or not, I'd buy them anyway.

Go back to the old style of graphics (or at least back to 2D graphics in general... they don't necessarily have to be exactly like the graphics in the first two games or anything.)

The graphics were one thing the side-games like Mystery Dungeon and Ranger ALWAYS used to have an advantage over the main series in--while the main series had kind of dinky looking sprites, Mystery Dungeon and Ranger had great ones. When the main series got to Diamond/Peal and switched over to the awkward-looking 3D bobble-head things everywhere except in-battle, the Mystery Dungeon/Ranger/etc. games still had the same good graphics they had before. But now... bleh.

3D models + Pokémon is just not a good combination... Pokémon designs just look super ugly in 3D compared to the 2D sprites. It's just ridiculous-looking that Gates to Infinity has super awful 3D models for everything, then 2D portrait graphics when the Pokémon talk. And unfortunately, even the portraits don't look as good as the previous games' versions (still better than the 3D models walking around, but that's not hard to pull off.)
    X and Y manage to pull it off pretty well with the new cel-shaded style, but "standard 3D Pokémon game" style 3D graphics, like what the Pokémon Stadium type games and the 3D Mystery Dungeons have... not so much.
    3522 9410 8771

One thing that needs to be kept that they removed from non-Japanese Gates to Infinity is Genders. Let me choose my character's gender and the gender of my partner! It was available in Rescue, it was there in Explorers, and it was there even in the Japanese version of Gates. Yet they shafted the rest of the world of it. A real bonehead move.

I'd like to keep the graphics but change them back to 2D or perhaps 2.5D, and the music quality the same or better, but I'd like more than that to have a much longer and thought-out after story. Once more, Rescue had a decent after-story, Explorers had a large and good after story, Gates had...meh. Less than an hour of after story. Also, if they are going to keep the DLC, please make it more interesting! Give each DLC area a storyline arc to follow with a legendary at the end that you can recruit. Most all of the DLC I've seen for Gates is just filler content with nothing that really makes them worth their asking price.

Also, bring back the large roster of choices. Let me choose from 6 generations of starters, and have one rep from each gen. Yeah, that's a lot of choices, but Gates left me feeling short-changed when all I had was the 3 Unova starters, Axew and Pikachu. A fact made even more irksome with the inability of choosing genders.

I do like the idea of building paradise, but let me take on multiple missions at one time like they used to. If there are three missions available for one area, I want to be able to take them on at once. I think this one at a time was just Chunisoft's means to forcefully lengthen gameplay.

I do like being able to increase the effectiveness of moves, and having all Pokemon, on the team or not, gain experience so no one is left in the dust. I also like the fact that your party Pokemon can evolve without needing to beat the main story first.

One thing I really would like to see is some smarter partner AI. Even when I had the AI set to 'Follow Me', anytime there was an enemy around, my partner would break formation to go off and battle them solo.

Another negative that needs fixing is the text speed. As much as I love storyline, I don't want it to be sitting on screen for lengthy periods of time. Give us a good text speed or the option to change to faster text speeds.

So overall:
    ~Keep genders and the ability to choose genders in game
    ~Scale graphics back to 2D realm but give them more vibrance
    ~Longer post-game story
    ~Changeable message speeds
    ~Keep the ability to take on multiple missions in the same area
    ~Lengthen the choosable Pokemon roster for game start
    ~Have at least 300+ Pokemon that you can recruit with an even distribution across the 6 generations
    ~Keep the idea of building your own place
    ~Give us more places to explore
    ~No more useless DLC
    Last edited by Zorupix; 9th December 2013 at 4:39 PM.
    Friend Code: 3282-1808-1238
    Pokemon in my Safari: Mienfoo, Sawk, Hariyama
    HA Pokemon I have: Eevee, Fletchling, Froakie, Poochyena, Goomy, Mienfoo, Snorunt, Petilil, Shroomish, Torchic, Charmander, Fennekin, Helioptile, Gible, Bulbasaur, Emolga, Squirtle
    HA Pokemon I am looking for: Nidoran (f), Mawile, Ralts, Espurr (m), Zangoose, Smeargle, Vulpix, Abra, Dratini, Litleo, Spritzee, Swirlix, Shinx, Budew, Buizel, Lilipup, Minccino
    Currently Breeding: HA Eevee, min 4 Perfect IVs currently, 5 max. Still working on getting one that has all 6 stats perfect.

I had a thought that if for whatever reason they did decide to include Mega Evolutions in the next game, it would make a ton of sense for them to go back to having starters from every gen, for the sake of giving the option of Mega Evolution to your hero/partner once you finish the game. It would be nice to have Electrike and Ralts as starters for once.

I could see the whole mechanic as working similarly to the Team Attack function, in that it can be triggered periodically and gives you a huge advantage, but only lasts for a single floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    I had a thought that if for whatever reason they did decide to include Mega Evolutions in the next game, it would make a ton of sense for them to go back to having starters from every gen, for the sake of giving the option of Mega Evolution to your hero/partner once you finish the game. It would be nice to have Electrike and Ralts as starters for once.

I could see the whole mechanic as working similarly to the Team Attack function, in that it can be triggered periodically and gives you a huge advantage, but only lasts for a single floor.
    This would be great.

Although, it would mean that unless Gastly becomes a Starter, no Poison Types are represented by Starters outside of Bulbasaur.

And, how would they handle Charizard?

Personally, that idea does give an interesting way of creating the next game's Plot. You know, I find that the Mega Evos are like buffed to legendary pokemon status.It seems to encourage the idea that some of the Mega Evolutions were like leaders of Guilds, Kingdoms, and Countries. Heck, folklore wise, the possibilities are endless.

Mega Ampharos for Electric Kingdom Ruler?
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

This.
    I wonder if we would still need to hold the item to power up, I know held items were not that big in past games, but they might. Also, would it just last 1 floor? The entire dungeon? wonder how they'll handle these things.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    This.
    I wonder if we would still need to hold the item to power up, I know held items were not that big in past games, but they might. Also, would it just last 1 floor? The entire dungeon? wonder how they'll handle these things.
    It'd probably function like Shaymin Sy Forme in Sky, but probably have some kind of Hunger Restriction.

> Give genders to the hero, partner, and other Pokemon.

I really don't understand how they could have left this out in GTI. I know it was rushed, but really? It's such a small yet BIG thing. So a non-gender Pokemon like Virizion can be female and yet I can't be female? Okay.

It would be nice if I could choose the gender of my partner as well. Though I wouldn't really mind all that much if they did what they did in Explorers (i.e. Pokemon partners like Charmander and Riolu being male and Pokemon partners like Chikorita and Vulpix being female). I DON'T want them to make the Pokemon exclusive to your gender. I really would have liked to be a female Riolu or Shinx. (And I'm sure some male players would have liked to be a Eevee)

> More Hero/Partner options.

Five Pokemon is just not enough. I REALLY hope they allow us the option of all of the starters from all six generations. Or at least the sixth Gen. starters and the Mega Pokemon. (i.e. Torchic, Ralts, Gastly) LOL, maybe not Magikarp. That would be hilarious though.

> Bring back the personality test.

I'm actually kind of on the fence about this. It was nice just choosing the Pokemon you wanted in GTI, but it's also kind of cool to get changed into a Pokemon based on YOU. Which is kind of the whole point of the game. YOU being transported to this Pokemon world. Though I could understand how someone would want a certain Pokemon that doesn't match their personality.

> A good (Lengthy) plot.

I'm sorry, but GTI's plot was extremely weak, short and overall disappointing. Compared to Explorers. This is just my opinion, but a plot either makes it or breaks it for me.

> Changeable text speeds.

I love reading and I consider myself to be very patient, but it gets irritating when I can read faster than the text appearing. So a "fast" text option would be nice and MAYBE less dialogue. A lot of the dialogue in GTI was unnecessary, especially since the text was so slow. I felt like all of the slow dialogue was to compensate for the short plot. >_<

> 2D OR 3D graphics.

The graphics in GTI was the ONLY thing that saved it for me, but if I had to choose a good plot, more Pokemon options (Etc) over 3D graphics then I would definitely go back to 2D. In a heartbeat. It just isn't worth it. BUT I really hope they were just testing the waters with GTI and that they build on it.

> Multiple missions in one area.

I liked that I was able to do multiple missions while in one dungeon in Explorers. I got more money/items and my rank improved faster.

> More Pokemon, more dungeons.

> Keep the recruiting process.

I like the option of recruiting any Pokemon right off the bat. I absolutely HATED buying friend areas in Red/Blue and I also didn't like having to go to the individual friend areas to talk to the recruit. Too tedious.

> Build your own Paradise.

I actually liked building my own Paradise in GTI. It was fun and unique. I kind of wish it was more like building your own Guild though. If that makes sense? I actually want to be able to recruit Pokemon, send them on missions, and have more involvement from the Pokemon I recruit. Like an actual Exploration TEAM.

> Protagonist has more of a say.

I don't mind this TOO much, but it just feels like I'm a mute in these games. Like I'm invisible.

> Long Post-Story.

> More then one partner?

I know that this is asking for WAY too much, but after seeing the anime with the trio Charmander, Chikorita, and Squirtle wouldn't you like to have two partners rather then one? Just putting this out there. It would definitely put a uniqueness to the next PMD, and I could imagine the game-play being more challenging. I don't know HOW they would pull this off, but the dynamics would be VERY interesting.

Trio teams Examples: Gengar|Ekans|Medicham, Alakazam|Charizard|Tyranitar, Lopunny|Gardivoir|Medicham

I want my own trio team too!
    ★ミ Most Recent Shiny ミ★

5,184 SR
    15,552 Starters
    New ID: 16111 - 6 SR

Current Shiny Hunts:
    ID: 45145 (Firered) |Squirtle| 500
    ID: 39009 (Leafgreen) |Bulbasaur|575 → 630 SR
    ID: 29290 (Ruby) |Torchic|1,250 → 1,750 SR
    ID: 57757 (Sapphire) |Mudkip|1,000 → 1,250 SR
    ID: 61514 (Platinum) |Chimchar|500 SR
    ID: 44111 (White) |Oshawott|550 SR