Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 85 of 85

Thread: Sticking with Who You Know (617)

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hoenn Region
    Posts
    81

    Default

    I found this episode weird :\
    It had some funny bits but overall this episode was boring, in my opinion...

    I am a proud member of the
    Extraordinary Gentleman's Organization (E.G.O.)

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Coumarine City
    Posts
    1,243

    Default Sticking with Who You Know!

    Oh Man, what a weird episode! When I saw this episode for the first time, I was like 'wth is going on'.
    Because of a weird machine (which makes Electric-type and Water-type Pokemon fall in love with each other)Ash's Pikachu and Dawn's Piplup fell in love with each other, Despite both of them being male Pokemon! Then they were hugging each other with hearts on their eyes, and cheesy romantic music was playing!! Ash and Dawn tried to seperate them, but their attempts didn't work.
    I'm glad everything was back to normal at the end ..... but it was still a terrible filler episode in my opinion.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    At first I thought that this episode was implying that Pika & Piplup were homosexuals which would've been progressive but the true culprit of their attraction was kind of lame.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    6,194

    Default

    Wow Pikachu and Piplup hugging each other was kind of awkward since it seemed like they were in love ha ha. I liked how other pokemon were also affected by that guy's malfunctioning experiment as well. :3

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Verdant Court, Arbor Area
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudySpell View Post
    At first I thought that this episode was implying that Pika & Piplup were homosexuals which would've been progressive but the true culprit of their attraction was kind of lame.
    I wouldn't have said it's progressive at all. In fact it's borderline homophobic. The episode uses Pikachu and Piplups brief infatuation to generate humour implying that it's somehow funny, weird or unusual for a boy to be attracted to, display affection for or love another boy. This is compounded by the fact it was involuntary infatuation created by a machine. That, unconsciously perhaps, reinforces notions of Heterosexism, suggesting that the only valid forms of attraction and desire are between people (or Pokémon) of the opposite sex and that everyone else should be treated as a joke.

    That being said I'm not totally opposed to this idea behind this episode. The affinity enabler is a interesting device and plot line involving it could work under different circumstances. Certainly it would not come across is such a problematic manner if the anime actually made a fair attempt at LGBTQIA+ representation, though sadly it does not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Also, everything reeked of wasted opportunities to spice up the craziness even more. Buizel somehow getting involved and throwing itself at Pikachu as well, creating an awkward triangle; war ensues. Buneary appearing and being mortified at the indecent display of a not-so-endearing Pikachu.
    It certainly could have been funnier and part of me would desperately have like to see Buizel being influenced by the affinity enabler to. But I still have to ask the question as to who the joke would be on. Having three males fight over each other while an appalled Buneary watches on would only further have cemented the idea that same sex attractions and relationships are somehow improper or lesser compared with heterosexual ones and therefore to be treated like a joke.

    Personally instead of being a wasted opportunity, I'd say this episode is an opportunity that never should have been taken. The question really is, not how can we make a group of male Pokémon hugging each other funny, but should we.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Anyway, as a result, everything and everyone in this episode was way too matter-of-fact and insistent on giving explanations. Who on earth cares about the why? This is crack. Crack doesn't need justifications. Crack should plow its way through the plot with its buddies, screwball comedy and meaningless hurly-burly, without giving a damn about boring things like reason.
    I see what your saying but I disagree. Crack as a concept seems to be something more reserved to Fanfiction. Most episodes of the anime don't leave unexpected events unanswered so giving technical explanations was appropriate. The writers could probably have added more comedic elements such as Buizel getting mixed in the fray and still arrived at the same ending. In any case, resigning the anime's only same sex relationship(ish) to being 'crack' only furthers the problem I raised in the first place.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 4th March 2016 at 6:30 AM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple.




    By Ivy the Snivy

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Planet X
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    I wouldn't have said it's progressive at all. In fact it's borderline homophobic. The episode uses Pikachu and Piplups brief infatuation to generate humour implying that it's somehow funny, weird or unusual for a boy to be attracted to, display affection for or love another boy. This is compounded by the fact it was involuntary infatuation created by a machine. That, unconsciously perhaps, reinforces notions of Heterosexism, suggesting that the only valid forms of attraction and desire are between people (or Pokémon) of the opposite sex and that everyone else should be treated as a joke.
    Sounds very SJW-ish to me. I didn't think there was a big issue with how Pikachu and Piplup's attraction was set up.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Verdant Court, Arbor Area
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudySpell View Post
    Sounds very SJW-ish to me. I didn't think there was a big issue with how Pikachu and Piplup's attraction was set up.
    The problem is very simple. The use of same sex attractions as somehow being irritating or humorous in this episodes and it's implication that same sex relationships are lesser to heterosexual ones reflects the same inherent heterosexist prejudices that form the foundation for measures such as California's Proposition 8 and similar measures in other US states. If the anime's not going to give us fair or realistic LGBTQIA+ representation the least it could do is not use it as a joke.

    In any case, given the generally negative reviews this episode has received, combined with it's fairly lacklustre plot and lack of anything particularly compelling about, I have to ask the question as to why it was included in the first place. One could certainly argue that's it's completely pointless and the DP series would not have suffered from it's total exclusion.

    And I reject the label SWJ - it's a label largely created by conservatives to ridicule and demean anyone who points out discrimination, inequality or anything that makes them uncomfortable without engaging in an argument. If there's no problem explain why the attraction set up isn't a problem
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 30th March 2016 at 3:03 AM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple.




    By Ivy the Snivy

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    New Pork City
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Lmao I thought that the romantic music that played when Pikachu and Piplup hugged here was so effing funny.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    645

    Default

    The romantic soundtrack that we heard when Pikachu and Piplup hugged was my favorite moment here. I liked when Ash and Dawn tried pulling them apart.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    6,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    I liked when Ash and Dawn tried pulling them apart.
    Yea that part of the episode was quite funny and I thought Brock's plan would've worked yet it didn't. I would've liked if we had seen Pachirisu and Buizel being attracted to each other here too so we could've seen them hug. :]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •