Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sample Team (To learn the game mechanics)

Default Sample Team (To learn the game mechanics)

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I've been thinking about this for awhile and I'd like to make sample team for the newer raters to try to rate. This team has mistakes, and it's on purpose... it's to see if any of you can point them out.

Infernape@Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Blaze
    EVs: 252 SpA/64 Atk/192 Spe
    Stealth Rock
    Fake Out
    Fire Blast
    Close Combat

LeadApe is a good answer to many common leads, especially Roserade who I can destroy with Fake Out and Fire Blast before she can put me to sleep with Sleep Powder. The Adamant Nature boosts Fake Out and Close Combat and gives me some extra power.

Starmie@Leftovers
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
    Rapid Spin
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

Starmie makes a good counter for Infernape, and resists both STABs and also a good Rapid Spinner... I'm horrible at EVs... someone?

Heracross@Choice Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    Swarm
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
    Close Combat
    Megahorn
    Night Slash
    Stone Edge

One of the best revenge killers in the game... Humongous attack, and decent speed coupled with two 120 BP STABs is insane. Close Combat and Megahorn for STAB, Night Slash for coverage and Stone Edge for Flying types

Metagross@Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Light Screen
    Explosion

This thing is rare, but it packs quite a punch.... EV help plz.

Azelf@Expert Belt
    Timid Nature
    Levitate
    Nasty Plot
    Psychic
    Flamethrower
    HP Grass

One of the best Nasty Plotters out there... great Speed coupled with great Special Attack. I suck with moves so some help would be nice...

Gallade@Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Steadfast
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    Shadow Sneak
    Ice Punch

Lucario is stupid and overrated... this thing has more power, for the cost of speed... Again I suck with EVs.

Well there it is... I'm hoping the Mods can make this a sticky or something and then the members can PM the rates to me or someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I've been thinking about this for awhile and I'd like to make sample team for the newer raters to try to rate. This team has mistakes, and it's on purpose... it's to see if any of you can point them out.

Infernape@Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 Spd
    Flare Blitz
    Fake Out
    ThunderPunch
    Close Combat

LeadApe is a good answer to many common leads, especially Roserade who I can destroy with Fake Out and Fire Blast before she can put me to sleep with Sleep Powder. The Adamant Nature boosts Fake Out and Close Combat and gives me some extra power.

Okay, mistakes cleared. Adamant + Fire Blast=Stupid.

Starmie@Leftovers
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure
    Rapid Spin
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam

Starmie makes a good counter for Infernape, and resists both STABs and also a good Rapid Spinner... I'm horrible at EVs... someone?

Only one mistake!?

Heracross@Choice Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    Swarm
    Close Combat
    Megahorn/Bug Bite
    Night Slash
    Stone Edge

One of the best revenge killers in the game... Humongous attack, and decent speed coupled with two 120 BP STABs is insane. Close Combat and Megahorn for STAB, Night Slash for coverage and Stone Edge for Flying types

This looks fine. But Megahorn's too risky. Bug Bite is better.

Metagross@Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Zen Headbutt
    Explosion

Nearly all good.

Azelf@Expert Belt
    Jolly Nature
    Levitate
    Explosion
    Zen Headbutt
    Fire Punch
    ThunderPunch

One of the best Nasty Plotters out there... great Speed coupled with great Special Attack. I suck with moves so some help would be nice...

Gallade@Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Steadfast
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
    Psycho Cut
    Close Combat
    Shadow Sneak
    Ice Punch

Lucario is stupid and overrated... this thing has more power, for the cost of speed... Again I suck with EVs.

Izzat fail? Yeah.

Well there it is... I'm hoping the Mods can make this a sticky or something and then the members can PM the rates to me or someone...
    Probably not the sticky stuff. But yeah.
    I drift in and out. I'm more into the glitchy side of things, hate nearly everything post-HGSS.
    I'll probably forget what I offer on trade pages. If I do, just message me on Tumblr as I'm always on there.

Tumblr

@ Ampy - This is a nice idea. But instead of sticky-ing it, maybe make a different team each week, and the newbs/noobs can correct it within the thread, and the more experienced raters can gently correct them if need be?

Heracross - Mega Horn and Night Slash get much the same coverage. Give him a Life Orb and change Night Slash to Swords Dance. Change ability to Guts, because if he gets Burnt or Poisoned, his Attack raises 1.5 times, making him a real force to be reckoned with.

Terry, Starmie wants Recover on a Rapid Spin set, as she will head out, get hurt by Stealth Rocks etc, Spin them away and then Recover the damage.

I'll leave the rest to the nooblets <3
    Last edited by RayRay; 1st November 2009 at 3:50 PM.
    Hey, you, over there
    Keep the L up, 'cause I don't care

Yeah,
    L-o-s-e-r
    I can only be who I are!

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    Terry, Starmie wants Recover on a Rapid Spin set, as she will head out, get hurt by Stealth Rocks etc, Spin them away and then Recover the damage.
    I thought Starmie was "all out or get killed" as its Defense is really low.
    You may get killed while blowing away the SRs, though. Hmm.
    I drift in and out. I'm more into the glitchy side of things, hate nearly everything post-HGSS.
    I'll probably forget what I offer on trade pages. If I do, just message me on Tumblr as I'm always on there.

Tumblr

^ I should have changed her EVs --> 136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe. Gives her a bit of bulk, thus allowing her to Spin and Recover. The EVs she currently has would be for her Choice/Orb sets.
    Hey, you, over there

Yeah,
    L-o-s-e-r
    I can only be who I are!

^ I should have changed her EVs --> 136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe. Gives her a bit of bulk, thus allowing her to Spin and Recover. The EVs she currently has would be for her Choice/Orb sets.
    That's fine, but we need SpA.

Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Terry. T. View Post
    That's fine, but we need SpA.
    Not necessarily. She is powerful enough as she is without needing SpAtk EVs. This is more of a utility set, not so much an attacking set. Yes she has Surf and Thunderbolt, to get out of situations if need be, but we wouldn't use her to be doing a lot of damage. If we wanted her to be a Sweeper, then you would be correct - 252SpAtk/252Spe/4 HP with - Surf/Hydro Pump, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and give her Choice Specs or Scarf.
    Hey, you, over there

Yeah,
    L-o-s-e-r
    I can only be who I are!

Not necessarily. She is powerful enough as she is without needing SpAtk EVs. This is more of a utility set, not so much an attacking set. Yes she has Surf and Thunderbolt, to get out of situations if need be, but we wouldn't use her to be doing a lot of damage. If we wanted her to be a Sweeper, then you would be correct - 252SpAtk/252Spe/4 HP with - Surf/Hydro Pump, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and give her Choice Specs or Scarf.
    Grass Knot? Psychic's kinda better. Covers other Pokémon.

Tumblr

Grass Knot? Psychic's kinda better. Covers other Pokémon.
    Actually, Grass Knot gets the jump on bulky waters and Water/Grounds, and has the capacity for 120 Base Power. Psychic offers very little in the way of coverage, as it only gets SE hits on Fighting and Poison, which is why Grass Knot is typically preferred. You can still use Psychic, however. It's just that Psychic is rater useless coverage-wise, unless it's STAB.
    This signature is horrendously outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporeon4evr View Post
    Actually, Grass Knot gets the jump on bulky waters and Water/Grounds, and has the capacity for 120 Base Power. Psychic offers very little in the way of coverage, as it only gets SE hits on Fighting and Poison, which is why Grass Knot is typically preferred. You can still use Psychic, however. It's just that Psychic is rater useless coverage-wise, unless it's STAB.
    Psychic IS STAB.

Tumblr

Psychic IS STAB.
    I know, which is why it's acceptable on Starmie. But Grass Knot is still better.
    This signature is horrendously outdated.

@ Ampy - This is a nice idea. But instead of sticky-ing it, maybe make a different team each week, and the newbs/noobs can correct it within the thread, and the more experienced raters can gently correct them if need be?

Heracross - Mega Horn and Night Slash get much the same coverage. Give him a Life Orb and change Night Slash to Swords Dance. Change ability to Guts, because if he gets Burnt or Poisoned, his Attack raises 1.5 times, making him a real force to be reckoned with.

I'll leave the rest to the nooblets <3
    Thank you, I think I'll try that. The team'll get old fast if it's stickied :/

Change the Pokémon every day or so.

Tumblr

And we've only fixed Starmie today xD
    Hey, you, over there

Yeah,
    L-o-s-e-r
    I can only be who I are!

@Terry, I read through your rate... why did you make Azelf physical? I already have 3.5 Physical attackers, and making Azelf Physical would only leave me with 1.5 Special Attackers. Also Ape has SR because it's a lead... Metagross and Gallade do not need Zen Headbutt and Psycho Cut... since they get pretty bad coverage

Infernape@Focus Sash
    Naive Nature
    Blaze
    EVs: 252 SpA/64 Atk/192 Spe
    Stealth Rock
    Fake Out
    Fire Blast
    Close Combat

Naive nature, so you get the extra speed boost, and neither Fire Blast or CC/Fake out are effected. Infernape isnt the bulkiest pokemon ever, so sticking a sash on him allows him to set up a sure SR, and also beat Heatran (sashless ones of course)

Starmie@Leftovers
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure
    EVs: 136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
    Rapid Spin
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

Standard Spinner, EVs allow it to Survive a +1 DD Gyaras EQ. Starmie switches in on the DD, takes SR dmg, then OHKOs back with thunderbolt, if gyara has taken SR damage before hand.

Heracross@Choice Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    Guts
    Close Combat
    Megahorn
    Night Slash
    Stone Edge

IMO, guts is better, since roserade toxic spike leads are common nowadays, take advantage of the toxic spikes before you spin them away.

Metagross@Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/12 Atk
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Light Screen
    Explosion

Im guessing, this is a tank gross? Standard EVs are standard, not even a +2 Life Orb Lucario will OHKO this, while you OHKO it back with EQ.

Azelf@Expert Belt
    Timid Nature
    Levitate
    Nasty Plot
    Psychic
    Flamethrower
    Grass Knot/HP Fighting

Grass Knot for Vappys/Perts, IMO HP Fighting is the superior choice, as it kills off Heatrans, TTars, and could threaten Snorlax/Blissey boosted.

Gallade@Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Steadfast
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Close Combat
    Shadow Sneak/Night Slash
    Ice Punch

Standard for a sweeper, max attack/speed. Night Slash could be in place of SS, but the priority on SS is also nice to take down faster things, such as Starmie,Gengar, or Latias threatening your sweep.

Suggestions in BOLD
    FC: 2321 3972 4076

WI-FI Record: 87W-12L

^You seem to have your head screwed on the right way.

Me, I'd say that this team is weak to a certain very common OU threat. I won't spoil it, though.

^Finally someone notices....

Anyone know what the threat is? Anymore rates?

Well, I havent rated yet because I have been trying to lurk, but the team seems somewhat dd salamence weak.

Well, as I have obviously never rated, sorry if this is off, but I would like to learn how to rate teams better...
    -Dukefan5
    Quote Originally Posted by GIRATINAMASTER867 View Post
    k 1st of all celebi adn heatran are uber wich is noob... plz swithc them out cuz noone will take you seriosly...for your team id say switch w/ bastodon 4 a tank to replac heatran adn change celebi w/ sceptile cuz sceptile is awsome + ash has one adn it rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.Kingsley View Post
    Absol should have razor wind.

Gengar should have Hypnosis, Dream eater, and nightmare.

Thats all.
    had to sig those...
    FC: 3910 5217 6946
    Trainer Name: ZACK

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan5 View Post
    Well, I havent rated yet because I have been trying to lurk, but the team seems somewhat dd salamence weak.

Well, as I have obviously never rated, sorry if this is off, but I would like to learn how to rate teams better...
    -Dukefan5
    Not bad. After a Dance DDMence can outspeed Scarf Hera and proceed to sweep the entire team.

There's also another one, but this one is only a problem once Infernape's out of the picture.
    Last edited by AlCario; 3rd November 2009 at 5:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan5 View Post

-Dukefan5
    Good. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Maybe change a moveset on one of the Pokémon? Or maybe even switch a Pokémon... I'll give you a hint. The best counter for a DD Mence is a certain duck like Pokémon
    Last edited by Ampy; 3rd November 2009 at 5:24 AM.

Defensive Duck Porygon2 is the best DD mence and DD gyara counter, while also helping with Jolteon and Heatran.
    Here's the set:
    Porygon2 (Trace)
    Bold @ Leftovers
    228 HP/188 Def/96 SpA
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunder Wave
    -Recover

I would replace Starmie, as you don't need a spinner, and Azelf can already revenge kill Infernape. Porygon2 covers the other threats that Starmie was covering.
    k 1st of all celebi adn heatran are uber wich is noob... plz swithc them out cuz noone will take you seriosly...for your team id say switch w/ bastodon 4 a tank to replac heatran adn change celebi w/ sceptile cuz sceptile is awsome + ash has one adn it rocks.

Thats all.
    had to sig those...

Very good! Where have you been all this time?

I have been lurking here and on smogon...

Thats all.
    had to sig those...

Good, all n00bs should take your example...

If that sounded offensive I wasn't calling you a n00b... actually you probably did the best job on this along with a few others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast