Thread: Team Galactic month!

Cool Team Galactic month!

Some of us on tumblr are throwing a month-long celebration of all things Galactic and we'd like you all to join us! It goes from Dec 15th to Jan 15 (ending and beginning dontcha know) and anything is welcome. Fics, art, playlists, cosplay, and especially discussion!

Let's give props to our favorite omnicidal space cadets!
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated Dec 30th, 2014)
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Team Galactic were probably my favorite group of characters from D/P/Pt tbh. Mars and Saturn in particular are my favorite Galactic members and I really liked Team Galactic's extremist methods used to reach their goals; their Galactic Bomb scheme at Lake Valor comes to mind.

Default Galactic Boss Cyrus

Did you struggle in your battle to save Sinnoh or was conquering Cyrus an easy feat for you?

Did you come prepared with a strategy or did you just wing it with your strongest team members? Tell your stories here.

For me, I struggled with Cyrus quite a bit. My initial strategy was a Gliscor Swords Dance sweep, but this was soon dispelled by a 4X Ice Weakness and an overly speedy Weavile.

My second ploy was a Mach Punch Infernape (since it's supereffective againt Weavile & Houndoom) but again I was outsped by a Crobat with Confuse Ray.

My final strategy was an all out power attack with Dragon Fang/Dragon Claw Garchomp for a powerful stab which managed to finish the match off. It seems like speed was a huge issue within the match for me personally.

Pokemon Omega Ruby: Badges: 6
    Pokemon X Badges: 1
    Pokemon Platinum: Badges:7
    Pokemon Emerald Badges: 3
    Pokemon Leaf Green Badges: 8

I merged the above post with this thread, since they're similar and one Galactic thread should be enough.~

Anyway, Team Galactic is definitely my favourite evil team in Pokemon so far. It's kind of hard for me to explain why, but I guess I just really liked everything you have to do in the games to stop them (e.g. climbing up Mt. Coronet to the Spear Pillar was pretty epic) and Cyrus's backstory was interesting to me.

And of course, the designs. I love their spacesuit-like outfits and the hairstyles of Cyrus and the commanders in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by EspNeon View Post
    Did you struggle in your battle to save Sinnoh or was conquering Cyrus an easy feat for you?
    Did you come prepared with a strategy or did you just wing it with your strongest team members? Tell your stories here.
    For me, I struggled with Cyrus quite a bit. My initial strategy was a Gliscor Swords Dance sweep, but this was soon dispelled by a 4X Ice Weakness and an overly speedy Weavile.
    My second ploy was a Mach Punch Infernape (since it's supereffective againt Weavile & Houndoom) but again I was outsped by a Crobat with Confuse Ray.
    My final strategy was an all out power attack with Dragon Fang/Dragon Claw Garchomp for a powerful stab which managed to finish the match off. It seems like speed was a huge issue within the match for me personally.
    Playing through DP for the first time, I had to wing it since I don't think I knew what Pokemon Cyrus used in advance. I think I mainly relied on Empoleon and Hippowdon, but that was a long time ago so I don't remember too well.
    On later DP playthroughs and on Platinum, I just relied on exploiting his Pokemon's weaknesses. I usually have a team that can hit every one of his Pokemon for Super Effective damage.

I don't remember struggling with the Cyrus battles in any game, but the final one in Platinum was a bit tough the first time I played that game. His team was pretty good imo and I think I lost a couple Pokemon after they failed to OHKO his.
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 20th December 2014 at 12:30 AM.
    ~ * * ~

Quote Originally Posted by EspNeon View Post

In my Japanese Diamond I had no idea how strong his team was so I winged it when I battled him those two times. In my English Diamond and Pearl though, I had an easier time since I came prepared. My memory of Platinum is a little foggy though; I don't recall how I fared against Cyrus in that version. :x

I found him easy, but then I had hyperleveled beforehand.

I love how TG raises moral issues. How far is too far to go for justice? Is violence in the name of peace justified? What can be attributed to an abusive past before the actions become soley the person's responsibility? And so on.

Plus, I gotta say, there's something funny hiding in the team. Cyrus's ideal world is logical, emotionless, and full of bowlcuts. His ideal world is the planet Vulcan (and yes I know Vulcans aren't really emotionless but neither is he).
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated Dec 30th, 2014)
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Team Galactic is my second favorite villain team in the series. I thought they were a big step up compared to previous teams, they actually felt threatening compared to the previous teams, especially compared to Team Rocket. Their goals and idea of a new world felt more serious and not as silly as those of Team Aqua and Magma or as lame as those of Team Rocket. The ways they did things in order to accomplish their goal was well done and made sense for the most part. I thought that the team Admins and the Leader were all great characters, especially in Platinum. The grunts had cool outfit designs and some of them could be hilarious at times (from what I remember).

Regarding the Cyrus battle, I don't remember having a hard time against him in any of the games. I don't think I had any strategies prepared for D/P, just used my in-game teams to beat him. Though I might have substituted some of them for Pokemon that I would need in order to catch Dialga/Palkia afterwards. Pretty sure I had a Synchronizer with me at least, might have had an empty spot in my party as well to see how the legendary turned out once I had caught it. For Platinum, I remember that I planned a bit more in advance since I wanted to catch Giratina directly after beating Cyrus, and I couldn't go back throughout the Distortion World. If I had known that I could just defeat Giratina and it would later respawn once I had beaten the E4, that would have saved me a lot of trouble. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. From what I remember, I fought Cyrus with 5 members of my team and then a Synchronizer in the last spot which I needed against Giratina. Don't think I had any strategy planned against Cyrus, just fought him and did my best.
    Last edited by Kalosian; 21st December 2014 at 11:24 PM.
    Listen | Get hugs

When they remake Sinnoh, I want really one thing out of it--to reunite Cyrus and his grandfather. I think it's really some needed closure.

I liked Team Galactic,they were the first antagonists I was truly fond of.Although the Grunts were generally clueless compared to the grunts in previous games,they were interesting sometimes,such as the one in Mt.Coronet who asks the player character if Cyrus is about to ditch them and claim the new world for himself.I also liked the fact Cyrus had some backstory,unlike,say,Giovanni.They were highly persistent and had a measure of success in-game as nobody was able to stop them from capturing the Lake trio.Design-wise,Saturn is my favorite of the Commanders,but Mars also looks good.The only character I didn't like was Charon,as neither his design nor his goals appealed to me.Oh,and the awesome Grunt battle music.Never forget it.
    I srtuggled against Cyrus in the final battle,because Crobat kept outspeeding and confusing my Pokemon.The rest of the battles weren't particularly difficult,though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    In my Japanese Diamond I had no idea how strong his team was so I winged it when I battled him those two times. In my English Diamond and Pearl though, I had an easier time since I came prepared. My memory of Platinum is a little foggy though; I don't recall how I fared against Cyrus in that version. :x
    I found Cyrus slightly easy in Platinum tbh but that just might be so that you don't have to lose every time and trek through Distortion World again even though that is my favourite place in Sinnoh and that's one of the things that make Platinum more enjoyable than DP. Play Platinum again then see how you find Cyrus and Team Galactic.
    Last edited by pokepal123; 5th January 2015 at 10:40 PM.

Charon seemed entirely disconnected from the rest of the team. But considering that his prior history with Silph (as we find out in HGSS) MAY mean a history with Rocket, and that the place that's implied to be his old house is abandoned, which would mean a sudden loss of money, regaining former affluence would make sense.

When one thinks about it...what Rowan says about Rotom may mean that Charon blames the downfall of his career on Rotom. From what we hear, he had announced it but it vanished before he could reveal it to other scientists.

And...what was Rowan doing down there in the first place?