Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Gen 5] All Competitve Pokemon Masters click here!--EV Guide Abridged

I understand that a pokemon can only have a total of 510 EVs. But, what if they get all 510 EVs before reaching level 100?
    Don't let anyone else
    Tell you who you are

[IMG]http://i45.*******.com/qs3ypd.jpg[/IMG]

Credit goes to ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the badge. Check out her thread:http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=438255

Pokemon is like your best friend who goes to boarding school. He comes home every once in a while, and when you hang out with him you realize that although he's changed, he's still your best friend and nothing could every change that.

This is Torrents, my Blastiose from Red Version. He took the Elite Four singlehandedly at level 61.
    ___.___
    _ (._.>X
    My roflcopter goes soi soi soi

^ They are meant to get all 510 before Lv. 100. EV Training a Lv. 100 is completely pointless, since the EVs won't do anything (IIRC).

I know that, but once they get all 510 EVs, what happens to the other EVs they get when leveling up to 100?
    Don't let anyone else
    Tell you who you are

Credit goes to ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the badge. Check out her thread:http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=438255

Pokemon is like your best friend who goes to boarding school. He comes home every once in a while, and when you hang out with him you realize that although he's changed, he's still your best friend and nothing could every change that.

This is Torrents, my Blastiose from Red Version. He took the Elite Four singlehandedly at level 61.
    ___.___
    _ (._.>X

^ They are ignored, since the EV limit has been reached. Only the first 510 will apply.

Thanks, I thought it would do that, but I just wanted to be sure.
    Don't let anyone else
    Tell you who you are

___.___
    _ (._.>X

^ thats not true on serebii.net it says that you can ev train at level 100 then deposit and withdraw the pokemon from the pc when it gets withdrawn the stats get recalculated.

^ Where does it say that? Besides, you have misread the question. The question had nothing to do with EV training a Lv. 100.

^IIRC if you were EV training a pokemon [but it stayed on the same level the entire time] and you deposited it into your PC, it would have the appropriate stat amount for that level+EVs upon withdrawal. I had always assumed that the same was possible at level 100, but there was so much negativity about Arceus being obtained at level 100 making EV training impossible that I assumed that the same couldn't be done at level 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest is great View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'm going to go put Trick Room on all my teams to counter Ninjask better.

It's called the box-trick. I'm fairly certain it only works in Adv though I'm not sure because I've never attempted it in DP.

can people stop posting irrelevent stuff, it is pretty annoying, as this guide is good. if you are going to post, make it helpful or linked to the guide.

where is danburas guide?

Edit, sorry Reno I didnt read your message befor I posted this......
    Last edited by S.Bustathedog; 2nd March 2010 at 5:47 PM.
    Love and Stars.

Last night I looked up at the stars
    Matching each to a reason why I love you
    The only reason why I stopped
    Was because I ran out of stars to give reasons to.

Simplicity

Default Jump points and formulas

Jump Points (and some Ev's)

Some of you may not understand the concept of what are called jump points. You probably just use them because more advanced players tell you to do so and give you a vague reason. So, in a short little guide, I'll just show you how they work.

The first thing to understand is jump points only occure in a stat with a + nature, which multiplies stats by 1.1 (or in other words give 10%). This of course means there are no HP jump points due to the lack of + HP natures. There are other numbers to aim for in HP, such as a Lefties number, but there is no such thing as an HP jump point.

The concept of the jump point is if you invest Ev's up to a certain number on a + nature stat, instead of the stat gain being 1 it will be 2 for that specific investment. Let me give you an example. For any stat divisible by 5, 216 Ev's is the highest jump point you can reach. To show this, I'll just use Celebi.

Celebi: Bold - 208 Defense Ev's = 316
    Celebi: Bold - 212 Defense Ev's = 317
    Celebi: Bold - 216 Defense Ev's = 319
    Celebi: Bold - 220 Defense Ev's = 320

Notice how the other investments only yeild a single stat point where as 216 supplies two. Now why does that happen? The simple answer is found when you understand the stat formula.

Stat formulas make your life easier when trying to figure out actual stats from just base stats and Ev's. Below is the formula for stats.

(Base Stat x 2 + 5 + N + F) x U = Actual Stat

I tried to make it as simplistic as possible, as I know most people hate to see long formulas. This one is quite simple actually. N = Iv's, F = Ev's, and U = nature multiplier. If you don't know how many actual stat points you get from Ev's, simply divide it by 4 and round down if necessary. Let's take our Bold 216 Defense Celebi and plug it in (and say we have 31 Iv's in every stat).

(100 x 2 + 5 + 31 + 54) x 1.1 = Actual Stat
    (200 + 5 + 31 + 54) x 1.1 = Actual Stat
    (290) x 1.1 = Actual Stat
    319 = Actual Stat

Quite simple, it takes less time on a calculator than going to a site's Pokedex and find it out from there. As a side note, this is not how HP is calculated. Just so you do know how it is, here is the formula for HP.

Base Stat x 2 + 110 + N + F = Actual Stat

N and F still mean Iv's and Ev's respectively. Notice there is no nature multiplier for reasons I have stated before. Let's just do 252 HP Celebi to show this.

100 x 2 + 110 + 31 + 63 = Actual Stat
    200 + 110 + 31 + 63 = Actual Stat
    404 = Actual Stat

So now you know how to figure out both HP and normal stats. Now why do you hit the jump points? Well if we take out what causes the jump points (a positive nature) perhaps we can figure it out. We'll run the caclulation using a Celebi with a neutral nature, such as Modest or Timid. The specific nature really doesn't matter.

(100 x 2 + 5 + 31 + 54) x 1 = Actual Stat
    (200 + 5 + 31 + 54) x 1 = Actual Stat
    (290) x 1 = Actual Stat
    290 = Actual Stat

Now we have our answer. When using the nature multiplier, the game rounds the stats down. This means even if the formula says you have 317.9 as your actual stat, the game will ignore anything in the decimal, giving you 317. So we know this, but why does it specifically give you an extra stat point on those numbers? Simple, the number is evenly divisble by 10. Notice 216 Ev's hits 290 which is divisble by ten. However, if you go down one point wether it be Iv's or Ev's, it is no longer so. To show how many actual points 289 and 290 would yeild with a + nature, just divide it by 10.

289 / 10 = 28(.9) || 289 + 28 = 317
    290 / 10 = 29 || 290 + 29 = 319

And there you have the jump point. Let's do one more example and use 172 Defense and 176 Defense Ev's. The first calculation will be using 172 and the second calculation will be with 176.

(100 x 2 + 5 + 31 + 43) x 1.1 = Actual Stat
    (200 + 5 + 31 + 43) x 1.1 = Actual Stat
    (279) x 1.1 = Actual Stat || 279 / 10 = 27(.9) || 279 + 27 = 306
    306 = Actual Stat

(100 x 2 + 5 + 31 + 44) x 1.1 = Actual Stat
    (200 + 5 + 31 + 44) x 1.1 = Actual Stat
    (280) x 1.1 = Actual Stat || 280 / 10 = 28 || 280 + 28 = 308
    308 = Actual Stat

And now you know. If you are doing your stat calculations and know you will always have 31 Iv's in the stat, you can just combine 5 and 31 on the formula to make it faster. Please do note 176 and 216 are not jump points on every Pokemon. There are different sets of jump points for different base stats. Below I have provided a list of jump points (considering you have 31 Iv's in the stat).

+0 (base stat ends in 5 or 0): 16 / 56 / 96 / 136 / 176 / 216
    +1 (base stat ends in 6 or 1): 8 / 48 / 88 / 128 / 168 / 208 / 248
    +2 (base stat ends in 7 or 2): 40 / 80 / 120 / 160 / 200 / 240
    +3 (base stat ends in 8 or 3): 32 / 72 / 112 / 152 / 192 / 232
    +4 (base stat ends in 9 or 4): 24 / 64 / 104 / 144 / 184 / 224
        Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Nice job, Rhys. Definately a more concise guide on jump points.

If anyone wants a more detailed explanation on Jump Points, they should read the guide that Salavior wrote in this thread. http://s1.zetaboards.com/Brock/topic/1988596/1/
    It should be the second post iirc.
    Join the BLD Tutor Program. Here is where to go if you want to enhance your competetive battling skills with a first class tutor program. We also have a League for challenging and weekly tourneys. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. bld chat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123