Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Battle Tower Team Building Guide

Quote Originally Posted by clone1 View Post
    Amazing guide and I was waiting for somebody to post up something like this. Although I already got my symbol from the Battle Tower this is going to be really helpful for people. Not only for the battle tower but it also includes important factors for competitive battling. ^^
    In my opinion, the Battle Tower is probably harder than competitive battling. Prediction is completely different, seeing how you're up against a machine. Also, hax is brutal: there's no OHKO clause to hide behind here.
    This signature is horrendously outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporeon4evr View Post
    In my opinion, the Battle Tower is probably harder than competitive battling. Prediction is completely different, seeing how you're up against a machine. Also, hax is brutal: there's no OHKO clause to hide behind here.
    Or Evasion Clause, Sleep Clause, or Freeze clause for that matter... All of which the AI will abuse.
    Annoyingly, prediction is useless in the BT since the AI won't switch, which means that it takes a lot of skill out of battling...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    Or Evasion Clause, Sleep Clause, or Freeze clause for that matter... All of which the AI will abuse.
    Annoyingly, prediction is useless in the BT since the AI won't switch, which means that it takes a lot of skill out of battling...
    You essentially have to learn to beat the AI, which is quite different from learning how to beat another player.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    You essentially have to learn to beat the AI, which is quite different from learning how to beat another player.

Well...what CAN we expect from the AI?
    What're you lookin' at soldier? DROP AND GIVE ME 645!!!

DO THEM RIGHT OR FACE THE WRATH OF MA' SAND FORCE!!!

--Landorus Boot Camp Motto

Well...what CAN we expect from the AI? Can we expect Pursuit? Status? SDs/CMs/etc.?

Practice will tell you what works best. Using my database, you can tell which Pokemon use which moves, and figure out for yourself the strategy they may try to use.

Quote Originally Posted by GarSlizer View Post
    Well...what CAN we expect from the AI? Can we expect Pursuit? Status? SDs/CMs/etc.?
    You CAN expect Hax and unfair play, along with movesets . You have to do everything you can to limit the amount of destruction that the AI can cause with Hax. Substitutes, for example, will bring all of those OHKO abusers to a sudden halt. What better to counter something that is taking advantage of Water Pulse's seemingly 60% Confusion rate than Slowbro w/ Own Tempo? From the AI, you should carefully determine what moves the opponent is using, and then switch in something that can deal with the opponent effectively.

As for movesets, certain moves will indicate the presence of others. For example, if a Wailord enters battle and uses Whirlpool, you can expect to be in for something like this;
    564 | Wailord | Impish | Chesto Berry | Whirlpool | Toxic | Amnesia | Rest | HP/Def/SpD
    A toxistaller Wailord. IIRC, a similar thing exists with Clamperl.

Similarly, moves like Hypnosis will be accompanied with moves like Dream Eater;
    585 | Exeggutor | Modest | Lum Berry | Dream Eater | Hypnosis | Leech Seed | Ingrain | HP/SpA
    Incidentally, Leech Seed, which appears in this set, may be accompanied by Hypnosis, Toxic, Substitute, etc.

By spotting these "indicator" moves, you can detect with some accuracy what set your opponent is running, and bring in something to stop it from working before they have a chance.

How effective are entry hazards and non-Tricked Choice items? There's only one Rapid Spinner (a Wartortle) and I personally use a ScarfTran.

Quote Originally Posted by GarSlizer View Post
    How effective are entry hazards and non-Tricked Choice items? There's only one Rapid Spinner (a Wartortle) and I personally use a ScarfTran.
    Entry hazards are useful for breaking Sashes and are a non-direct way of eliminating Shedinja although you can outlast it if you have something that walls Shedinja. Also, Shedinja disappears after Battle 20. They also help score important KOs that you may miss without the entry hazards. Non-Tricked Choice items are OK but they really make the Pokemon using them easier to wall as opposed to Pokemon with Stat up moves. They also force you to switch in an unfavourable match-up. With Choice Band or Choice Specs, your Pokemon only have a boost equivalent to +1 Attack or Special Attack respectively. With Stat up moves, you can go up to +6 Attack or Special Attack and essentially beat everything through sheer force despite resistances. Something you can't do with Choice items. It can be difficult getting up to +6 but with a Trick Scarf Lead locking your opponent onto a move that can be set up on and Substitute, it becomes not so difficult.
    Don't judge me or my life choices unless you know and understand the reasons behind them.

I don't use TrickScarf. And Heatran has no stat-boosters that I know of. Anyway, Heatran's not my lead, a Starmie is (or will be, once I get it)

If you don't intend to use TrickScarf, Starmie is great. Easily the best non-stat-up Pokemon you can use in the Tower. He's probably capable of sweeping the entire first 5 rounds alone.

You don't really need TrickScarf if you only want to get your Color Print. It's hard to get past 100 without using it, but it's still pretty possible. However, if you want to get 200+ wins, it's almost impossible to do without TrickScarf.

I think I may use a TrickScarf Baton Passing Espeon, expect to see it on an IGRMT team soon.

^Baton Passing doesn't work in the Battle Tower, setup and Hax destroy its effectivness. I've tried it, I got to Battle 36 before I got slaughtered.
    .:I reach out my hand and find you there:.

No, the TrickScarfer will just Pass a Sub, nothing else. The other two members will boost on their own.

No, the TrickScarfer will just Pass a Sub, nothing else. The other two members will boost on their own. It's also a Timid Espeon, hard to outrun and Pursuit is only in the lower ranks (as is Rapid Spin).

^Espeon isn't really that good as a TrickScarfer, way too frail. Also, it's better if the setup sweeper uses Sub.

Also, seeing as you just handed the opponent a Choice Scarf, you'll have a much harder time outrunning it before it faints Espeon.

Well, who IS a good TrickScarfer? I'm not so sure about "Sub then set up" because I want perfect coverage on all the sets where possible and with only two offensive moves, that can be hard (though Lucario can do so easily).

Well, who IS a good TrickScarfer? I'm not so sure about "Sub then set up" because I want perfect coverage on all the sets where possible and with only two offensive moves, that can be hard (though Lucario can do so easily).

^You don't need perfect coverage. Take V4E's Scizor example. It only has Bullet Punch. Coverage matters very little at +6, and SE coverage matters even less.

Some good examples of TrickScarfers would be Dusknoir, Latias, Uxie, Cresselia, Spiritomb, Porygon2, Clefable, Mismagius, and Gardevoir. Latias and Uxie are probably the best ones.

Ho, hooo...so what would be good Natures for Latias and Uxie? Oh, and thanks about the coverage advice, I guess I'll keep my Lucario with a Sub-CM and use a Sub-SD Garchomp.

That's a good idea.

Latias@Choice Scarf
    Bold
    Ev's:252Hp/236Def/20Sp.Def
    ~Levitate~
    -Trick
    -Thunder Wave
    -Flash
    -Recover

The Latias I used on my 142 win BT Team. Flash can be replaced by a myriad of options, but I find that Flash works best.

Uxie@Choice Scarf
    Bold
    Ev's:252Hp/68Def/188Sp.Def
    ~Levitate~
    -Trick
    -Thunder Wave
    -Stealth Rock
    -Memento

Possibly the best TrickScarfer in the game, Latias only outclasses it situationally.

Gahh! How can I get those!? I mean, sure Latias will appear in HG/SS, but I can't wait that long! Oh well, I'll check my Uxie's nature and go form there.

Gahh! How can I get those!? I mean, sure Latias will appear in HG/SS, but I can't wait that long! Oh well, I'll check my Uxie's nature and go form there. Will the +Def, -SAtk Nature do? (I can't think of it's name off the bat)

^Impish. And yeah, it's the same. As for Latias, do you have Sapphire or Emerald?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast