Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mastering Current Events! (622)

Does anybody know y Ash sent out Gliscor at the beginning?
    He wanted Gliscor to scout out what was ahead of them. It flew right into the battle between Scizor and the girl's Chimecho.

Second. Stop treating Gliscor like it was Ash's best Pokemon ever caught. It lost almost every battle it was in.
    A Pokemon's worth isn't measured by how many battles it's won or lost. It's just a small factor. Gliscor was loved more for its personality then its ability to win battles. Buizel's in the same boat. No doubt Buizel has lost more battles then its won but it still has appeal because of its personality. Another Example: Team Rocket's Meowth is the second most popular Pokemon behind Pikachu but he's only won about five battles in over 500 episodes.

With a soon to be Garchomp, along with Charizard, Sceptile, and all his other powerhouses, Ash could be considered worthy of a Championship title. But with a Gliscor that constanly loses, how can he possibly accomplish that?
    There's no promise that Gible will be any better then Gliscor was. There's no promise he'll get a Garchomp, either.

And Buizel is nothing like Grovyle, Grovyle had the personality by default. Buizel just fakes having Grovyle's personality.
    Buizel doesn't have Grovyle / Sceptile's personality. Even if he is undoubtedly a jerk Buizel seems more open to the idea of being friends with the other Pokemon on the team then Sceptile was. He was strictly a loner.

anyways, the basic premise of the episode has been posted before, aside from Gliscor being given away I really don't see anything ripe for discussion.
    It's true. The entire episode is centered around Gliscor, the training, and the two battles. Team Rocket wasn't even up to their usual antics which I thought was very unusual. They're usually given at least something to do on the side as filler during most episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman324 View Post
    Yes, but what about Volt Tackle? Ice beam was an example. I knew someone helped him, but still: they could have expanded on the whole "Ash can train his own pokemon" thing. Remember early season 1? Pikachu stunk! BUT, he got help and raised it into the godly powerhouse who can defeat Ground Types (although it is interesting that well after the Blaine episode, a Thunderbolt hit a Rhydon's horn and did nothing) Look, if Green in the Manga can get his name big as a raiser, Ash most certainly can.
    1. Pikachu learned Volt Tackle while attempting to use Quick Attack on a Team Rocket Mecha. While it doesn't mean that Ash helped it to reach the level to use that move, he cannot take credit for teaching that move to Pikachu.

2. Many of the moments in the first season were DEM, meant to be ridiculous. And the two situations it hurt a Ground type can be explained:
    -Brock's Gym: Pikachu had been charged up with extra electricity. While ground should remain a good insulator, the fact that Geodude floats in the air means that it cannot divert the electricity into the Ground. Couple that with Onix being soaked by the sprinkler system, and you've got some major damage.
    -Blaine's Gym: Given that there were no such things as abilities at the time, the whole "Aim for the horn" strategy seemed a little more logical. While I suspect that the lightning bolt should've been grounded, I could see it affecting Rhydon internally.

But anyway, let's look at the flaws with Gible:

1: It comes with Draco Meteor. Now, let's look at Ash's team mates with more powerful attacks: Charizard and Torcoal's Overheat, which they both learned during the Battle Frontier: plenty of training there. Pikachu's Uber Godly Volt tackle: Yeah, lower base power, but it is so powerful when Pika uses it, that it gets on the list. Again, it took TIME for Pika to learn it. Snorlax (and possibly others) Hyper Beam: Yeah, he started with it, but HB early in training a Snorlax (known to be a powerhouse) isn't TO farfetch'd. And Ash couldn't use it well for a while. Gliscor's Giga Impact: HE JUST GOT IT! Gliscor's been weak for a while, so I think he deserved it. But Gible? Hoo, no. He just gets a powerful attack off the bat!
    All these powerful moves have major drawbacks. Besides, trying to use such a move consistently would be dangerous for a Pokemon Gible's size. As well, you must remember how one teaches the move to a Dragon type in the game. They must be friendly with the trainer. It requires a lot of trust to use. So obviously a wild Gible is going to struggle with the move.

2: The appearances of Gible. You know what was great about the past few years? They didn't make it obvious what Ash would catch. Well, the Birds may have been, and possibly Turtwig, but other than that... Treeko being the only starter in Hoenn being the biggest surprise of the first of the three parts (I include Battle Frontier in the three). Corphish, Torcoal, and Snorunt were all random, and many (including myself) thought Aipom would be a Jigglypuff (as in it was never caught). Gligar was known the second you went into the episode, but not before. Ash getting Chimchar, while a possibilty, wasn't likely. Gible? I knew the second I saw the "Gible Draco Meteor" episode name that a main characture would capture one. I thought we were done with the things WAAAAAAAAAAAAY back when they left Kotane (or whatever her name was): but apparently not.

I think I don't need to elaborate more.
    I think more than a few people suspected that Ash was going to catch Aipom for two reasons: following Ash to the Grand Festival and the confirmed Aipom evolution in the next generation. As well, it was inevitable that Chimchar would join Ash's team. Most of Ash and Paul's original arguements centered around Paul's treatment of Chimchar.

Just thought I'd point out a few things.

Now being reposted!

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    He wanted Gliscor to scout out what was ahead of them. It flew right into the battle between Scizor and the girl's Chimecho.
    And wat was wrong with Staraptor? O_o
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

I just took a second look at the episode, so the Gliscor is really gone has left and now I have a better insight on the episode. I have read in a few post that Ash doesn't seem to care that Gliscor left. I see this as a major step in his maturing.why, well when Ash left charizard behind he cried. Sure on the inside it must be killing him to let his friend go, but he manned up. Also look at his face when he ask if Gliscor could stay to train. Plus if staying up all night to help him wasn't enough to convince people that he truly cares then I give up.
    On Nov 21, 2010, I'm going on vacation. I'm going to a country to visit two friends and a grumpy oldtimer who are awaiting my return.

A Pokemon's worth isn't measured by how many battles it's won or lost. It's just a small factor.
    Maybe in the eyes of some, but not in mine.

I don't mind seeing a pokemon having a personality, but having too much of it and no battling skill at all makes you pretty worthless when it really counts.

I mean seriously Gliscor was way too much of a clown to be taken seriously, and how was one supposed to see a clown beat someone like Paul? It doesn't work.

Gliscor was loved more for its personality then its ability to win battles. Buizel's in the same boat. No doubt Buizel has lost more battles then its won but it still has appeal because of its personality.
    Buizel's at least won more battles than Gliscor has, Gliscor only won ONE freaking battle, every other fight it was in it was either a tie, or in most cases a loss.

Another Example: Team Rocket's Meowth is the second most popular Pokemon behind Pikachu but he's only won about five battles in over 500 episodes.
    Argument fails because they are joke villians and were created to loss most of the time.

Buizel doesn't have Grovyle / Sceptile's personality. Even if he is undoubtedly a jerk Buizel seems more open to the idea of being friends with the other Pokemon on the team then Sceptile was. He was strictly a loner.
    Sceptile also had a "Warrior" personality going as well, something that Charizard also has, I believe that is what people are referring too because heck even though it's a fighting pokemon, Buizel's warrior spirit exceeds Monferno's.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    Maybe in the eyes of some, but not in mine.

I don't mind seeing a pokemon having a personality, but having too much of it and no battling skill at all makes you pretty worthless when it really counts.

I mean seriously Gliscor was way too much of a clown to be taken seriously, and how was one supposed to see a clown beat someone like Paul? It doesn't work.
    I agree. It's sorta similar to Ash's Totodile (a.k.a. a pokemon with more personality and no battling skill). I wonder if people would freak out over Ash releasing him too .

And wat was wrong with Staraptor? O_o
    Smoke Break.

It wouldn't have been the first time he sent out Gliscor when it could have used Starpator in all seriousness. To be truthful he could've used Staraptor over Gliscor in this episode and it kept the same context. Imagine riding on the wind alone isn't something even birds can do easily and Staraptor can learn Giga Impact.

Maybe in the eyes of some, but not in mine ...
    Only if you care whether or not Ash beats Paul in the league. I don't mind if Ash never beats him. No matter what " preparations " he makes for the Sinnoh League he's bound to lose in the end. Even if he does by some miracle win over the League he has no hope against Cynthia. What's one more win or loss going to matter?

Curious though: would you have minded Gliscor if it beat Paul's Torterra in the Full Battle?

Buizel's at least won more battles than Gliscor has, Gliscor only won ONE freaking battle, every other fight it was in it was either a tie, or in most cases a loss.
    Buizel's gotten more usage, yes, but that doesn't mean that Buizel's any stronger then Gliscor. If Ash used Gliscor more it would have undoubtedly won more then one battle.

Argument fails because they are joke villians and were created to loss most of the time.
    How about Ash's Pikachu? He doesn't have the most stellar record in Sinnoh, either. Pikachu's been getting heat for losing since the very beginning but when he wins he wins big.

Sceptile also had a "Warrior" personality going as well, something that Charizard also has, I believe that is what people are referring too because heck even though it's a fighting pokemon, Buizel's warrior spirit exceeds Monferno's.
    Well fighters come in all shapes and sizes. Monferno is a good fighter but is modest about its abilities because of its personality. Buizel's personality gives him arrogance but he doesn't always have the strength to do well like Monferno. The Pokemon that has the most " spirit " for fighting isn't always the strongest. Ambipom and Bayleaf come to mind as Pokemon who are move " lovers " then fighters but were respectively strong when compared to their peers.

Now we knew why the writer made Ash catches his last pokemon earlier.

If Ash promised Gliscor to come back then we must forget him forever.

^
    LOL! XD

Bye Gliscor :cries: one of my fave Pokemon.

Welcome Gible! first Dragon Type! OMG! i'm excited!

Only if you care whether or not Ash beats Paul in the league. I don't mind if Ash never beats him. No matter what " preparations " he makes for the Sinnoh League he's bound to lose in the end.
    Now as much as i would personally love to see Paul whoop Ash again at the league, go on and beat the E4 and Cynthia causing a savage change in Ash, that's not going to happen.

Besides if the writers really wish to prove that Ash's way of handling pokemon is better, his pokemon have gotta be at the top of thier game when the league comes around and need to be able to do what Staraptor did in the full battle, take on Paul's pokemon one on one and come out the victors.

Even if he does by some miracle win over the League he has no hope against Cynthia. What's one more win or loss going to matter?
    So you'd rather Ash have a team full of clowns that can't fight and him never progress as a trainer? Yeah...

Curious though: would you have minded Gliscor if it beat Paul's Torterra in the Full Battle?
    Considering it only dealt damage to Torterra because Paul allowed it, yes if it had continued to receive damage due to Paul's arrogence it would've fallen.

However it did not fall and held on long enough to strike back with Frenzy Plant and blow Gliscor away like nothing.

Buizel's gotten more usage, yes, but that doesn't mean that Buizel's any stronger then Gliscor.
    Uh yeah it does, pokemon that get more battle combat or usage in general tend to be the stronger ones, but if they don't keep on them the strength wears off over time.

Gliscor was simply a capture that didn't need to happen, from looking back on it, I had a feeling something wasn't right when it was caught, and here we are now with it being released.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    You're missing the point, its horrid out of the blue writing with no foreshadowing and it ruins everything the current show is about.
    No I'm not. I know that people are upset, I am as well. But judging the show and the saga as a whole based on two flaws is ridiculous. It's overreacting.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The writers had give them Gliscor's pokeball.
    So? Doesn't mean it can't return. What was Ash going to do, keep the pokéball for memories?

ASH CAN TRAIN HIS OWN FREAKING POKEMON!
    Ash had Gliscor decide. If Gliscor didn't want to go, Ash would still have it.

Overall though Ash using Gliscor against Paul at the league will pretty much establish's Paul's methods of training were correct
    Technically he has already done that. Charizard and Squirtle....twice.

Yes, but what about Volt Tackle?
    The attack that Pikachu randomly learned and not because Ash trained him? What about it?
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

A Draco Meteor Gible will be awesome for Ash. Sad Gliscor left i liked its personality.
    My Black F/C: 3353 7681 7071

I like to be the Fire that surrounds Darkness

Thumbs down

Hey Almighty Zard, Corphish was a clown and snorunt was a clown and somewhat still was as Glalie did that affect them in the league no. So it probably wouldn't affect gliscor although it's not longer on Ash's team.

Ash caught a Gible? Since when?

At least this "Release" makes a bit of sence, Ash left Gliscor to train with the Air Master 'cos it's aerial battling skills are poor - which I put down to the fact that it had very little aerial battle experince in the relatively short time it was with ash. And it's certainly better than Primeape's release episode. I don't remember it too well, but I think the dialogue went a little somthing like this...

Tony: "I like your Primeape, would you like to leave it with me so I can train it to become a champion fighter while I hog all the glory and you get no credit for capturing it at all?"

Ash: "I don't see why not, it's not like having a fighting type pokemon on my team will win me any battles anyway" :P
    Some days you just can't force a smile. :<

Considering it only dealt damage to Torterra because Paul allowed it, yes if it had continued to receive damage due to Paul's arrogence it would've fallen.
    I'm sorry I really don't buy that at least the way you're trying to sell it.

Paul used Frenzy Plant in the first full battle episode and missed thus Gliscor was able to deal quite a bit of moves on it. Look at how long it took before Torterra was allowed to attack. What Paul was waiting for steel wing? That doesn't make sense Paul had nice attacks that would've worked but he just refused to use them.

The only thing I'll agree to in the full battle, is Paul allowed Gliscor to come in close, not to allow Gliscor to deal damage.

And I don't see the point in Paul using Frenzy Plant just to get your Pokemon paralyzed due to the recharge reason and allowing your Pokemon to attack.

Only the frenzy plant in the second episode actually connected.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blootix View Post
    Ash caught a Gible? Since when?
    It'll happen in a couple episodes.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomguy View Post
    A Draco Meteor Gible will be awesome for Ash. Sad Gliscor left i liked its personality.
    I'm sure Gliscor will make reappearances. Hopefully Gible will fully evolve into a Garchomp.
    "When I am dead and have passed onto the next world, I want you to lower me from these gallows and....KISS MY HAIRY BUTTOCKS!"- Chris Farley Almost Heroes

I kind of knew Gliscor would leave ash's team in some way during the episode. I'm not really bothered about it.
    Gone, and probably won't come back.
    Back for now.

I like the idea that a dragon type will be on Ash's team. Like many posters, how much I like Gible will be dependent on the fact on what personality they give him. Just from the episode titles my guess is that he will have a "Sceptile" like personality, but we will see. I hope he is fiesty, strong-willed, and a little powerhouse. I don't care if the guy evolves becuase it has so many powerful moves it can learn.

So you'd rather Ash have a team full of clowns that can't fight and him never progress as a trainer? Yeah...
    LMAO. Compared to what, when Ash had all unevolved Pokemon that remained small and cutesy like back in Johto?

Pokemon are not mindless drones for fighting. If after watching the show for so many years, you should know good and well the writers treat Pokemon as real things with personalities of their own.

Gliscor was simply a capture that didn't need to happen, from looking back on it, I had a feeling something wasn't right when it was caught, and here we are now with it being released.
    Nonsense. Before Gible, people thought Ash was done for the region. Gliscor always looked like a permanent member of the team, I am willing to bet this is out of the blue for the writers.

No Cyber, no.

There wasn't a doubt in my mind Gligar was going to be Ash's last capture. Filling up his team before even the 3rd Gym is what's out of the blue, especially since its almost the opposite of Snorunt's capture.

This is probably what they were going for all along.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Gotta love the people who hate Gible now because it's replacing Gliscor.

I love it, Gible is an awesome dragon-type and it'll be even better when it evolves. Ash didnt care about Gliscor anyway. You can call it manning up, but it looked more like Ash thought of him as a nuisance on many occassions and got rid of that crybaby bat the first chance he gets. Good riddance, I say. Now for the Gible to evolve into a Gabite at least as soon as possible and I couldnt be happier.

To think people are happy that Ash has released a Pokemon. Such a horrible thing to say.

I love how people are bashing Gliscor, despite the fact that Ash had far worse and horrid Pokemon in the past, (Totodile and Noctowl, anyone?)

Gliscor is better than Ash's entire Johto team combined. Not counting Heracross and Donphan.

When I heard that Ash was getting a Gible I knew he would release a party member of his soon. As soon as I saw that Gliscor that was being featured in this episode I knew that was the last we would see of it. :/

If a flying Pokemon of his needed to be released it should have been Staraptor, at least Gliscor brought some comic relief to the table.

Android Dreams
    ~

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast