Thread: Shinies?

Default Shinies?

Hello, my name is joseph. I started playing pokemon for the first time when i was 4, when i cluelessly but happily picked up a pokemon yellow game, and watched little pikachu follow me around. 10 years later, i still enjoy the game that first brought a smile to my face, but i enjoy the game in a more understanding matter. 10 years, and the only "shiny" pokemon i'd ever seen was a red gyrados, from i think it was pokemon crystal. I thought this pokemon was just a rare, like the others, until three weeks ago. Me and my cousin are very competitive and love to show off our pokemon to eachother, and one day, he yelled, "JOE, LOOK AT THIS!" To my amazement, a rapidash with the most amazing colors appeared on his screen. I didnt know what it was, but i was amazed at it. My cousin caught his first shiny that day; and we started looking on the internet about these shinies, and saw that EVERY pokemon had a shiny form. But we never had one before. And neither have i.
    So i'd like to ask you all, if you can, to give me any tips on catching a shiny pokemon, any tips at all. Or if anybody wants to let me have ANY shiny pokemon, as i've never owned one before. But you would have to tell me how to do the trade, or tell me how to catch a shiny. Thank you, and please; if you read this, reply. (:

-Joe

If you want an extremely easier chance of catching shinies, there's RNG abuse...but...the instructions are highly long and tedious, and if you don't have a lot of free time, then this may not be for you. It's extremely complicated for first-time users, but I won't go over it, though...

There's the Masuda method, if you're interested in that...which narrows the 1/8192 chance of finding a shiny to 1/2048.

How long would it take me using masuda? And how is it done?

I think it involves getting Pokemon from foreign regions (e.g. Japan) and breeding them with local Pokemon, although someone else should explain this. But one in over 2000 still isn't very good statistics...

There's also chaining with the Pokeradar, if your chain reaches 40, then the odds of a shiny become 1/200. However, this process is kind of annoying...

Visit my Youtube Channel

Pokemon Y: Name: Yoda FC: 0001-3341-1988

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVader
    You may dispense with the pleasantries Commander; I am here to put you back on schedule.

I could give you a shiny, perhaps, seeing as I hold the forum record for shiny ownership. (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're just jealous.) I currently have 204 shinies on Platinum (i counted) plus countless others on Diamond and all my GBA cartridges. PM me if you're interested.

You wouldn't think a lead would work very well, would you? Well, I beg to differ.

Could you give me a shiny as well? :P

Visit my Youtube Channel

You may dispense with the pleasantries Commander; I am here to put you back on schedule.

Maybe :3

i'll see if I can work something out. What pokemon did you have in mind?

You wouldn't think a lead would work very well, would you? Well, I beg to differ.

Ninetails, Rapidash, Charmander (or one of its evolutions) all come to mind, but I'd take anything. :P

Visit my Youtube Channel

I play Pokemon pretty much just for shinies. Just so you know, there's a 1 in 8192 chance of finding a shiny. There are many ways of finding shinies, random encounters, soft resetting, chaining, RNG abuse, Masuda Method... I have found 15 shinies throughout my life, but I have a lot more from chaining in Diamond version. It makes getting shinies much easier. Do you have the newer games? You could learn how to chain. It's not easy at first.

Here's a helpful quote from a user by the name of Zowayix (just to give credit)

The normal chances of getting a shiny is 1/8192. This includes in the wild, breeding, etc.

There are two ways to increase it:

1. Breeding - Masuda Method
    If the two parents in the daycare are from different language games*, the chance of getting a shiny egg is increased from 1/8192 to 1/2048. Note that having shiny parents does not increase the chance.
    *The German Magikarp from the in-game trade is not considered from a different language game.

2. PokeRadar - Chaining
    As a PokeRadar chain increases, the chance of getting a shiny increases, up to a maximum of 1/200 with a chain of 40. With four patches going off this is effectively a 1/50 chance of getting at least 1 shiny per reset. However getting to a chain this high requires a lot of work and patience.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...postcount=9155

3. RNG abuse
    If you know a lot of technical game mechanics and stuff, look here:
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180
    Last edited by Shephard922; 9th December 2009 at 5:09 AM.
    You can see my shiny Pokemon videos by visiting my YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/Shephard922

oh man; id love a charmander, a weavile or sneasel, sandslash, vileplume, evee, riolu, rhydon or ryhorn, and gligar. Those are all my favorite pokemon.

yes; i have platinum (:

Cool, you could chain then. Hey you should check out the Shiny Club, if you really want to learn about shinies. Read the first post if you want to join. Also, I have 4 videos uploaded of 4 of my shiny encounters, you can see them by reading my signature. By the way, there's already a thread in the 4th Gen forum for shiny discussion: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=420469
    Last edited by Shephard922; 9th December 2009 at 5:16 AM.
    You can see my shiny Pokemon videos by visiting my YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/Shephard922

the rng abuse says i need shinies to do it... which i dont ):

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikazeejoe View Post
    Well, you could go on another...um...forum and request that you want to find out your SID...or Secret ID.

Don't ask here, though...since talking AR is strictly forbidden.

In the future please post in the shiny sticky for questions about shinies. We have some information in the first few posts too
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=420469
    My TSVs are 1021 and 1558

If you have a matching egg, I will gladly hatch it for you! Please send me a PM with your FC, IGN, timezone/availability, and if you want a nickname.

I am looking for people to hatch the following eggs for me:

2895, 2653, 1622, 3548, 3208, 0848, 2682, 2844, 2955