Thread: Battle Frontier Team Help XD

Default Battle Frontier Team Help XD

I was thinking of:

Lucario
    Spiritomb/Dusknoir
    Garchomp(This is open to suggestions)

Should I choose Spiritomb who will be using trick scarf to allow lucario a sure setup or Dusknoir?
    And should it be Garchomp as my 3rd Pokemon? Suggest a Pokemon you think may be better for this spot.

The sets are:

Lucario- Life Orb- Adamant
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ ExtremeSpeed
    ~ Ice Punch
    EVs:252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Spiritomb- Choice Scarf- Bold
    ~Trick
    ~Grudge
    ~Protect
    ~Taunt
    EVs:252 HP/124 Def/ 132 SpDef

Dusknoir- Leftovers- Impish
    ~ Will-O-Wisp
    ~ Pain Split
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ ThunderPunch
    EVs:252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 Def

Garchomp- Choice Band- Jolly
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Fire Fang
    ~ Crunch

Do you think this team could work? And what Pokemon can replace Garchomp in my team?
    Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
    Well, maybe I can start my own league where using Stealth Rock is illegal, resulting in automatic disqualification. But categorizing Charizard is NU is libelous and and is a sin against God.

Hmm...
    Spiritomb
    Well, in the BF, your Trickscarfer should go first so that the rest of your team can easily set up, so have Spiritomb as your lead. Your moveset is a little odd... You are forcing the opponent to Struggle, but at the same time, the idea of Trickscarf is to keep the scarfed opponent alive so that you can have a team member set up. You might want to add moves like Flash to help reduce your opponent's chance of attacking, rather than forcing it to kill itself. This is a key concept with TrickScarf; The Scarfed Pokémon is meant to become Setup fodder. As for EVs, IMO, you should keep the nature, but go with 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD to maximise overall defences. Currently, you are a little too Def. based and your SpD. could be better.

Lucario
    The first thing that I noticed is the nature. It must be Jolly, not Adamant. After a couple of Swords Dances, it has more than enough attack. Your EVs are fine, and your Moveset looks ok too, although you could opt for Crunch in the last slot to help you with Pokémon like Cressellia and Dusknoir, both of which could give you trouble. That's all I have to say about it, really.

Garchomp
    You don't seem to want to use this very much. IMO, Gyrados is a viable replacement because it provides great Synergy with Lucario. Use this;

• Gyrados @ Leftovers
    • Jolly Nature
    • 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
    • Dragon Dance
    • Waterfall
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Fang / Bounce

This is what came to mind first. The moveset is straightforward; Set up on a Scarfed opponent, then sweep ftw. Water + Ground give Gyrados great coverage over its weaknesses, Rock and Electric, and you can choose what to do in the last slot. Bounce gives you double STAB and an answer to Fighting-Types which destroy Lucario, but Ice Fang gives great coverage. I personally think that you should use Ice Fang if Lucario runs Crunch > Ice Punch (Which I recommend you do, so that you can take bulky Psychics and Dusknoir, both of which occasionally run Electric moves like Charge Beam and Thunderpunch. And Wobuffet, which just ruins everyone's day at some point). Lucario hates Fire, Fighting, and Ground-Types, all of which Gyrados can come in on easily and set up. Inversely, Rock-Type attacks aimed at Gyrados can go to Lucario, although Electric is a bit of a weakness. If a threatening Electric-Type appears, I suppose you could go back to Spiritomb to soften it up a bit before switching back to Gyra.

Overall, this team has potential, although Physical walls could cause a problem. Cursepert is a threat that comes to mind, Foretress is another, especially when it decides to Explode. You may want too have some kind of CM or NP Sweeper instead of Lucario or Gyrados to fix this problem. CM Starmie is an unusual, but potential option (Ice Beam, Sure, Grass Knot, Calm Mind). Also, Electrics can cause this team some damage. Watch out for Raikou and Jolteon in particular, since they are the fast ones that can cause Gyra some serious damage.
    Hope it helps
    Last edited by Noctourniquet; 3rd January 2010 at 1:53 PM.

Thanks a lot for the help!
    But would you suggest me making Lucario a special sweeper since as you said, I will be having problems with physical walls.

Hows this for Lucario?

Lucario@Life Orb
    Timid
    ~Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse
    ~Aura Sphere
    ~Calm Mind
    ~Substitute( I always lose to OHKO moves =/)
    EVs: 252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

Could this work instead of the physical set?

And would there be any other leads that can help me set up Lucario and Gyarados better?
    Well, maybe I can start my own league where using Stealth Rock is illegal, resulting in automatic disqualification. But categorizing Charizard is NU is libelous and and is a sin against God.

^ That is great, but give it Leftovers and Gyra gets Life Orb. Lucario is a little fragile, but Aura Sphere is an incredible move, not only because of its power, but because of its ability to remove Evasion Hax from the BF. Shadow Ball > Dark Pulse, since they both do pretty much the same thing and Lucario will appreciate an SpD Drop for the opponent. Try that out, I can see it working really well. Just make sure Lucario has a good switch-in, otherwise you could find yourself getting killed before you can set up.

Ok I'll give the LO to Gyarados and the Lefties to Lucario! And the sp.def drop on shadow ball may be more useful than dark pulse's flinch. Thanks a lot for the advice!

This team is almost identical to one I posted a little while back, except the lead.

It's a fine team, and as long as you know what you're doing you should do well.

You could run Iron Defence over Shadow Ball and give Luke Dragon Pulse or Flash Cannon over Aura Sphere - you will appreciate the defence boost.

Put Substitute on Gyarados as well, for more hax protection. Waterfall / Return gives you the best neutral coverage with two attacks, so run those plus Sub / DD.

ungulateman
    156 Pokemon in the Unova dex. 6 of them are event Pokemon.
    151 Pokemon in the Kanto dex. 1 of them is an event Pokemon.

When you see it...

^ I wouldn't. Special Luke needs Aura Sphere, especially with all of the EvasionHax in the BT. You are also limiting Luke to a single attack, which won't get it anywhere.
    Not totally related, but just out of interest, how far did you get your team?
    Last edited by Noctourniquet; 4th January 2010 at 1:35 AM.

I think I got the lucario from you! I just took out iron defence. Should I really remove aura sphere? It helps me deal with double teamers.

And if my lead gets taken out before I am able to trick, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by zboy View Post
    I think I got the lucario from you! I just took out iron defence. Should I really remove aura sphere? It helps me deal with double teamers.

And if my lead gets taken out before I am able to trick, what should I do?
    Super Effective Type coverage matters very little at +6. As long as you're able to at least score a hit on everything. In that regard Flash Cannon vs Dragon Pulse depends on what you see as more of a problem. Both have nothing apart from Shedinja that is outright immune to the move. Flash Cannon is STABed but can be taken by sturdier 4x resists even at +6. Heatran being the biggest problem of all the 4x resists. Dragon Pulse has no 4x resists but loses out on STAB. At +6, it should OHKO or 2HKO practically everything with it anyway despite that. With Evasion Hax, Lucario should be able to destroy them at +6 before they can do anything and if the opposing lead is stuck on the move, you will eventually hit them and take them down once at +6.

When it comes to TrickScarf leads, the idea is to have something that can take a hit in case it gets outsped even with the Scarf. Getting taken out before being able to Trick is highly unlikely to happen. You may consider Dusknoir as your TrickScarfer instead as it has better overall Defenses than Spiritomb and doesn't get 2HKOed by anything not Super Effective with the proper Defensive spread. Getting off Trick is the minimum you want to be able to do with a TrickScarf lead.
    Don't judge me or my life choices unless you know and understand the reasons behind them.

Hmmm.... Gyarados is a great idea but try out this bulky gyarados, it almost never let me down if used right.
    • Gyrados @ Leftovers
    • Adamant
    • 16 Atk / 212 HP / 100 Spe / 180 Def
    • Dragon Dance
    • Waterfall
    • Earthquake
    • Taunt

And make lucario jolly >.>

^ Gyra has to be Jolly, too. And Substitute > Taunt, otherwise Hax will be a big problem.