Thread: Shocking, isn't it? [Tower Team]

Default Shocking, isn't it? [Tower Team]

Hey, it's ungulateman (again) and it's time for that staple of IGTR veterans - Battle Tower teams! Let's jump right in.

[Teletubby] Rotom @ Choice Scarf
    Levitate / Timid
    248 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
    - Trick
    - Thunder Wave
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Spite

Yes, it's a rather different lead from me this time. With a Scarf, Rotom happily outspeeds everything bar Electrode and Ninjask in the Tower, and can follow up its Trick with Thunder Wave, making for an safer setup, Will-O-Wisp, which drops Attack (and crits don't ignore this drop, which is awesome) or Spite, draining 5 PP moves entirely and forcing Struggle.

The EVs maximise Defenses at level 50.

[Stormcaller] Lucario @ Draco Plate / Iron Plate
    252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
    Inner Focus / Modest
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind
    - Iron Defense
    - Dragon Pulse / Flash Cannon

SubCM Lucario, how I love thee. Inner Focus is a nice little bonus on top of all the other good things that I get out of the anthro jackal wolf thing. Sub is effectively a "hax buffer", CM boosts Lucario's already high SpA stat through the roof (as well as boosting SpD), and Iron Defence makes Luke tough as hell. Dragon Pulse or Flash Cannon is the only decision I have to make here - great neutral coverage, or STAB?

[Ragnarok] Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Intimidate / Adamant
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    - Dragon Dance
    - Substitute
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce

Hell yeah, it's Gyarados, and he's back with a vengeance. Substitute again does its job, meaning OHKO moves and those dastardly critical hits aren't the immediate end. DD boosts my Attack and Speed until I outrun the whole damn Tower, and Waterfall + Bounce gives me all the coverage I need, plus small recovery thanks to Leftovers + Bounce.

Notes:
    - Rotom is immune to most OHKO moves, so no "1 in 123" moments for me just yet.
    - Electivire and Jolteon are annoying, but the former is Tricked and burned and the latter gets Spited until it's useless.
    - Lucario owned the first 21 battles so much it made me laugh.
    - The nicknames: Teletubby is the obligatory TV reference. Stormcaller is a character from Warhammer 40K. Ragnarok is the big "end times" deal of the vikings, with giant serpents and things dying.

ungulateman
    Last edited by ungulateman; 23rd December 2009 at 11:48 AM.
    156 Pokemon in the Unova dex. 6 of them are event Pokemon.
    151 Pokemon in the Kanto dex. 1 of them is an event Pokemon.

When you see it...

Looks like you forgot Luke's EVs ^_^

All in all, things look pretty decent here. I don't think it has quite the potential to do extremely well, mostly due to Rotom and Lucario's fragility. I, for one, have always wanted to use that Lucario, but I think it would need much greater support to work. Luke would need a buddy with Charm or Memento to let him set up at least half decently.

Gyarados looks fine, although Bounce's accuracy is something to be wary of. Return is always a safe, less powerful fallback.
    This signature is horrendously outdated.

Woops. Lemme edit that.

Thanks to either T-wave or WoW, Luke sets up really effectively. +6 defenses are nothing to laugh at.
    156 Pokemon in the Unova dex. 6 of them are event Pokemon.
    151 Pokemon in the Kanto dex. 1 of them is an event Pokemon.

When you see it...

Rotom @ wide lens
    Levitate / Timid
    - Substitute
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Spite
    - thunder

WoW misses alot less, and Thunder is back up. Substitute also, incase you foe uses a dark, ghost move.

This is different though, In your original, I would replace T-wave with Sub also. just incase your foe gets locked in a super effective move. Oh wait, you can just switch to lucario =/
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/o8gosi.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i38.*******.com/dbrsb6.png[/IMG]Credit to rosemary for dugtrio banner, credit to electricbluewolf for Owner banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglychu View Post
    Middle school? That's barely puberty...
    Nuff' said

Just mentioning that Rotom misses 6 EV's. although it's not a big deal.

Nice team!

And a Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by the jman View Post
    Rotom @ wide lens
    Levitate / Timid
    - Substitute
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Spite
    - thunder

WoW misses alot less, and Thunder is back up. Substitute also, incase you foe uses a dark, ghost move.

This is different though, In your original, I would replace T-wave with Sub also. just incase your foe gets locked in a super effective move. Oh wait, you can just switch to lucario =/
    You don't understand how this team works, do you?

Bounce is not the best move for Gyarados, even if it is STAB. For one thing, any pokemon could Double Team on the turn you're in the air, and Bounce's shaky accuracy means that you could possibly miss the second turn and they could double team again... which could cause problem. I would personally play it safe and run Return in that moveslot.

I say go with Dragon Pulse on Lucario. If Scizor can rape teams with a +6 90 BP move, so can Luke. Even though Luke's not that powerful offensively, the neutral coverage makes up for it.

I have all but one question. Why Dragon Pulse/Flash Cannon over Aura Sphere? It's good for evasion hax and its a good STAB. Dragon Pulse gets good coverage, but why Flash Cannon over Aura Sphere?

I'm not one for bounce, too inaccurate for my taste. As the others said, Return should do better in that slot.

Other than that, this team looks like it should be able to get far. Have fun!

^Ghost types are immune to Aura Sphere. Too much room for error that way.

I'd go with Flash Cannon, coverage matters very little at +6, as I've said at least twenty times this past week.

I have two fears for this team.

320 | Ninjask | Adamant | Razor Fang | X-Scissor | Aerial Ace | Night Slash | Baton Pass | HP/Atk
    This f*cker getting exposed to your lead.

2. Anything that has a powerful attack flattening your lead before you do anything more than Trick. Normally this isn't a problem, because TrickScarf users are generally bulky, but Rotom is anything but bulky.

Just thought I'd bring this to your attention. I don't see anything wrong with your sets, so it looks good.

EDIT: Noticed one thing. You should probably change Inner Focus on Luke to Steadfast, b/c it's generally better to get the speed boost than to just ignore it, seeing as you'll probably be faster than whatever got you in the next turn.
    Last edited by Eon Master; 24th December 2009 at 2:40 AM.
    "I'm fighting because there's a battle to be fought, Archer. I'm fighting to win. That's all."
    "Hm. Alright, Rin. You are indeed my ideal Master. There is no one else I could hope to serve."

Quote Originally Posted by Bossk View Post
    I have all but one question. Why Dragon Pulse/Flash Cannon over Aura Sphere? It's good for evasion hax and its a good STAB. Dragon Pulse gets good coverage, but why Flash Cannon over Aura Sphere?
    Because Ghosts are immuned to Fighting moves.

[img]http://i46.*******.com/mmxlg.png[/img]
    Exploiting the AI Like Never Before.

Spoiler:- I HAVE CLAIMED...: