Thread: Video Game Review Thread

Default Video Game Review Thread

READ BEFORE POSTING!

The purpose of this thread is as the title says, to write and read reviews on games.

When writing a review please follow all sppf rules plus these rules:

1) for now, do not write a review on the main series pokemon games (but I will allow spinoffs)

2) please include these things in your review (and please put at the end of each section how
    good it was on a scale of 1-5):

A summarry of the storyline (1-3 sentances). NO SPOILERS! (scale of 1-5)

Gameplay (1 or 2 sentances) (scale of 1-5)

Music (1 or 2 sentances) (scale of 1-5)

Graphics (1-3 sentances) (scale of 1-5)

Other

3) Please bold the title, storyline, gameplay, music, graphics and other headers and spoiler everything other than the title (for ease of navigation)
    Example:
    Pokemon Pinball RS [GBA]
        Spoiler:

4) Please dont review a game if a different version has already been reviewed.
    Example:
    If pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of darkness has already been reviewed the dont review explorers of time.

I will update this op every weekend with links to the posts of the games reviewed. I will put it in alphabetacal
    order for ease of finding what you are looking for.

Game litst:
        Spoiler:

Enjoy
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post

The purpose of this thread is as the title says, to write and read reviews on games.
    Oh boy this will not end well.

When writing a review please follow all sppf rules
    I never get why some people feel the need to say this, since it isn't like you have a choice.

plus these rules:

1) for now, do not write a review on the main series pokemon games (but I will allow spinoffs)
    Er why, what makes them so special that they are exempt from being reviewed?

2) please include these things in your review (and please put at the end of each section how
    good it was on a scale of 1-5):

A summarry of the storyline (1-3 sentances). NO SPOILERS! (scale of 1-5)

Gameplay (1 or 2 sentances) (scale of 1-5)

Music (1 or 2 sentances) (scale of 1-5)

Graphics (1-3 sentances) (scale of 1-5)

Other
    This is a terrible rating system, since what exactly the criteria in getting a 5 or a 4, is really subjective to the reviewer 's opinions and why 5 and not 7 or 10 or 100000?

Personally I think that reviews should really do away with the rating system, they offer nothing of value.

Pokemon Pinball RS [GBA]

Storyline 1/5
    It has no storyline, other than battling Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza.
    That's a bit unfair since the was designed not to have a story, since it a pinball game. The correct scoring should be N/A.

Gameplay 4/5
    Pretty good as far as pinball games go, easy to remember, and fun to play.
    This very vague doesn't explain why you gave it a 4/5.

Music 3/5
    It is pretty good, but it gets repetitive after a while.
    It pretty good how? Again you're being vague.

Graphics 3/5
    Ok, considering that this is a GBA game, it is pretty good, but it could have been better.
    You can not say that the graphics are just okay, you really need to go in depth why you feel that the graphic aren't amazing.

Other
    There are 2 game boards, and they are based off Ruby and Sapphie pokemon games.
    This doesn't explain anything to anyone who isn't familiar to the Pokémon game or game itself, also you misspelled Sapphire.

4) Please dont review a game if a different version has already been reviewed.
    I disagree since a review is one person's opinion meaning not everyone is going to feel the same way about the game.

Enjoy
    Not if everyone does poorly written "reviews" like yours.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

This already happened once upon a time in OVGD and it was a complete disaster. Good luck!
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    This already happened once upon a time in OVGD and it was a complete disaster. Good luck!
    It happened twice since I have joined. The first time it went pretty well actually and we had some decent reviews. The second time was a trainwreck and got locked however.

I may contribute some reviews here myself once I know for sure whether this thread will be allowed to exist. And provided I am allowed to use my own criteria and rating system. (or non-rating system)

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Aliens: Colonial Marines

It's shit.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Er why, what makes them so special that they are exempt from being reviewed?
    this being a pokemon site, i was thinking about not allowing any pokemon games to be reviewed. But some people have not played some of the spinoffs, so I let them slide. And if the thread actually survives...then I'll probably allow the main ones.

This is a terrible rating system, since what exactly the criteria in getting a 5 or a 4, is really subjective to the reviewer 's opinions and why 5 and not 7 or 10 or 100000?

Personally I think that reviews should really do away with the rating system, they offer nothing of value.
    Most sites will have a most common rating for a game and a rating for individual reviews, and it is usually on a scale of 1-5 or 1-10. I done really care, but I guess it doesnt matter....just wanted them to be easy to understand.

That's a bit unfair since the was designed not to have a story, since it a pinball game. The correct scoring should be N/A.
    Noted

also you misspelled Sapphire.
    Noted

I disagree since a review is one person's opinion meaning not everyone is going to feel the same way about the game.
    I'm actually planning to allow this eventually, but i didnt want the first 5 reviews to be on some game that just came out and everyone is picking that one.

Not if everyone does poorly written "reviews" like yours.
    That want a review, it was an example of the format.
    Originally i was just going to put this:

Storyline 1/5
    Blah, blah, blah

Gameplay 4/5
    Blah, blah, blah

Music 3/5
    Blah, blah, blah

Graphics 3/5
    Blah, blah, blah

Other

blah, blah, blah

@zazie, I dont really mind people using their own rating system, I mainly put that there for the dim-wits who would just see the thread and go and post "Hey this game is great! Go buy it."
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

ON NO IT'S BACK UH-OH WATCH OUT GUYS

I for one loathe the "Story, Gameplay, Sound, Presentation" system of reviewing. For "professional" reviewers who have to churn out these things once a week it makes it easy on them, but as a whole the system does not suit every game. I'm not much a fan of numbered scores either.

The thing with forum review threads is that people either default to their favourite games or something easy to criticize. So you get a lot of 1, 2, 3, 9, and 10, out of 10s.

And oh lordy the spelling errors in that first post.