Thread: Crobat or Staraptor? (Plus some other Qs)

Default Crobat or Staraptor? (Plus some other Qs)

Just wondering. I may be restarting my game when I replace my charger for my DS. Just got Platinum yesterday, and only got so far, but I already made the biggest mistake, which was leveling my starter so high and moving on so quickly that all my other pokemon were weak. I haven't played these games in over 8 years, since like 2nd grade, and thought it'd be cool to get back into playing with these things, haha.

So I was thinking. In the older days, I would always catch a Pidgey first thing after my starter, so that I had a Flyer. But I really hate how Starly looks in this game. I used to hate Zubat, and never raised one before. Is Starly any good once it reaches it's final evolution, Staraptor? Or is Crobat better. I used the Sinnoh Dex thing on the main Serebii.net site, and noticed that Crobat can learn fly, which is mainly what I get a Flyer for.

Also, would it open up weaknesses to have a Togekiss and a Crobat/Staraptor on the same team? I noticed that Togekiss can Fly aswell, and I remember from the old games that the best strategy was 1 of each type, and a maximum of 3 that were dual-types.

Also, being new to this generation. I looked through some of the threads here, and the stickies, and noticed a lot of stuff about EV, IV, Natures, etc. and was wondering what this was all about?

The last game I played was the 2nd gen (def buying the remakes) and all I remember was that you had to just level them up, and nothing else. How do natures and these EVs and IVs come into play?

Thanks guys, I appreciate you helping a new guy to the forums.

Staraptor man. Looks never matter in pokemon, and Staraptor is beast in competitive battles. If you want to decide, here's a link to Smogon pages that can help you. They have great moveset tips and full stat maps

Staraptor's Smogon Page

Crobat's Smogon Page
    Competitive!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracomaster16 View Post
    Staraptor man. Looks never matter in pokemon, and Staraptor is beast in competitive battles. If you want to decide, here's a link to Smogon pages that can help you. They have great moveset tips and full stat maps

Staraptor's Smogon Page

Crobat's Smogon Page
    Hmm, thanks for that man.

Also wanted to add, if I happened to trade a Pokemon from the Sinnoh region for a Kanto Pokemon, do I need a National Dex from the end of the game first?

Yes, you need the Nat. Dex.
    Competitive!

Staraptor is probably better as you can get Starly earlier/early lveel moves it knows are better than Zubat's, but both will do well, really so it doesn't matter too much. Also next time try the Help thread when you have a question, please. Closed.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join for the post blitz and events now!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Cheating? In my VGC? We look into the World VGC 'Ray Rizzo event' last month and more.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.