Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

Not that I'm outright asking for this to happen, but...

With the recent lag and stuff being fixed, does that make a difference the username changes at all? I know Josh had his changed recently, and the forums didn't seem to have any problems. /wondering

Figured I would ask since custom avatars was brought up, made me curious about username changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Buraddo_Aipom View Post
    Not that I'm outright asking for this to happen, but...

With the recent lag and stuff being fixed, does that make a difference the username changes at all? I know Josh had his changed recently, and the forums didn't seem to have any problems. /wondering

Figured I would ask since custom avatars was brought up, made me curious about username changes.
    They are coming back according to Ethan.

---------- join ever grande city, a fun and new pokemon forum!! // tumblr

I would actually like the username changes too.

I'm thinking of changing it to "Zekurom" to match what it is on Bulbagarden.
    I'm restarting Generation 2021 here!

I honestly do not know if this has been asked, but a questions thread, where questions that really don't belong in Misc or GPD can be asked. Or does such a thing exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Joker View Post
    They are coming back according to Ethan.
    umm they may or may not be coming back. there are still issues to work out with the forums and name changes is one of them. you guys probably didnt notice but there was an error when josh's name got changed so we have to fix that stuff before we can even consider it for members. sorry.

also know that staff have been allowed to have name changes for awhile now so josh (or other spec contribs/mods) getting name changes means nothing as far as whether members will get them or not
    Last edited by Ellie; 16th January 2011 at 7:41 AM.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

oh my god then my e can be lower case like it is on every other forum!

the significance of that on a site i haven't been active on in almost 6 years is far more than you might imagine.
    russian graffiti

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Custom Avatars would bring back the lag.
    Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler 99 View Post
    i think that when you gain a new postcount ranking, you should be able to change it to any of the ones you have unlocked
    This. I love the looks of the one I currently have and I don't want it to change, but then I would have to stop posting completely. D:

Quote Originally Posted by celebitrainer View Post
    I want to have collectibles and trophies
    That just won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    umm they may or may not be coming back. there are still issues to work out with the forums and name changes is one of them. you guys probably didnt notice but there was an error when josh's name got changed so we have to fix that stuff before we can even consider it for members. sorry.

also know that staff have been allowed to have name changes for awhile now so josh (or other spec contribs/mods) getting name changes means nothing as far as whether members will get them or not
    Well then, as with my custom avatars idea, you could only allow certain members to get a username change.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Well yeah, I knew mods and SCs could get them changed, but like you said, most people didn't notice when Josh got his changed (so included), so I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by natie
    Well then, as with my custom avatars idea, you could only allow certain members to get a username change.
    I was thinking that too actually. Like people who have been here for a good amount of time (like three years or something), are active, and have a good reason for wanting to change their name (because changing from "Marill4Life" to "UBERN8TOR530000" would make sense, but going from the latter to the first could be a reason).

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by natie View Post

That just won't work.
    Why not? As I said, it's not like they give you a voucher so you can really receive physical items, they just appear as images on your profile. Also, because yo can do things like give them as gifts or trade them with other members it would encourage friendly interaction among members, which would slightly lower the number of flame wars because the people won't want to alienate potential trade partners.
    FCs: 1564-3330-7308 (X) and 0361-6238-7128 (Y)
    Friend safari types: Fairy and Rock, respectively. PM me with your FC if you add me.

It just won't work. Believe me.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

I've noticed an outbreak of spambots since the new year started. Is there anything that the admins can do to stop them? It gets annoying to go onto a thread and see the same spambot post a whole page.

---------- join ever grande city, a fun and new pokemon forum!! // tumblr

i doubt allowing only certain members to get changes will happen either (mostly because if it kills the forum for changing one mod's name every once in awhile, it'll kill it even worse when a ton of other members ask for it). the "been here for awhile" breeds more elitism and the "good reason for changing it" isn't fair to the user. apart from typos (which we still fix if you pm us and ask nicely), it's not fair for us to say "okay your name change is fine because youre changing from pokemonmaster75894957 to Peter, but your name isnt ok because youre changing from i_luv_pokemon to Smugleaf35"

as for spambots we do what we can lol. just report it and move on.

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

I think you should delete some of the useless threads from 2004, the fact there are mounds upon mounds of ancient threads that haven't received posts or views for years is just.. why ?_?

Also take the 48 hours sometime in the next two weeks, American grade schools will be having finals then and people won't be on a lot anyway, or shouldn't be. Just take the hit and find out wtf the problem is before you lose more people to the less-laggy Smogon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I think you should delete some of the useless threads from 2004, the fact there are mounds upon mounds of ancient threads that haven't received posts or views for years is just.. why ?_?

Also take the 48 hours sometime in the next two weeks, American grade schools will be having finals then and people won't be on a lot anyway, or shouldn't be. Just take the hit and find out wtf the problem is before you lose more people to the less-laggy Smogon.
    We know what we are doing in regards to these server issues, thank you. We have also pretty much wiped out the lag. Barring an issue on Friday which was on the datacenter's side, the forums have been lag free since Tuesday after we were down around 16 hours to move to this new server.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Joker View Post
    I've noticed an outbreak of spambots since the new year started. Is there anything that the admins can do to stop them? It gets annoying to go onto a thread and see the same spambot post a whole page.
    Unfortunately, that's happening Internet wide. It's not just spambots, some companies in various countries are hiring people to do it. In addition to that, the RECAPTCHA system to block bots has recently been broken.

i doubt allowing only certain members to get changes will happen either (mostly because if it kills the forum for changing one mod's name every once in awhile, it'll kill it even worse when a ton of other members ask for it). the "been here for awhile" breeds more elitism and the "good reason for changing it" isn't fair to the user. apart from typos (which we still fix if you pm us and ask nicely), it's not fair for us to say "okay your name change is fine because youre changing from pokemonmaster75894957 to Peter, but your name isnt ok because youre changing from i_luv_pokemon to Smugleaf35"

as for spambots we do what we can lol. just report it and move on.
    What if you're changing Arceus-sama to Shiny Celebi to avoid confusion because thats you name on all other forums you go to and you want only 1 online name for people to recognise you by. I cant tell you how many times I forget and try to log in using the Shiny Celebi, then remember it isnt my name on this site. Its not that I hate this name, but it would be less confusing and easier for me. Its not about elitism for me, i dont think im better than other members. That seems like an acceptable reason and i wouldnt ask for it again.

it's not happening right now unless that person 1) made a typo 2) is staff. end of discussion.

I think I said this before, but a bar to separate the Sticky topics from the normal ones.

Effort Values List 1 - 649
    Download
    Any fixes, comments, or suggestions, PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arceus-sama View Post
    What if you're changing Arceus-sama to Shiny Celebi to avoid confusion because thats you name on all other forums you go to and you want only 1 online name for people to recognise you by. I cant tell you how many times I forget and try to log in using the Shiny Celebi, then remember it isnt my name on this site. Its not that I hate this name, but it would be less confusing and easier for me. Its not about elitism for me, i dont think im better than other members. That seems like an acceptable reason and i wouldnt ask for it again.
    "Do it for one person and they all want it."

Could we please add all the b/w Sugimori avatars and all the Dream World avatars? Not sure if you're working on that but Bulbapedia as an example has them all and I'd quite like to use stuff like Futachimaru/Dewott and especially the beautiful Dream World artwork as avatars.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Proby3 View Post
    Could we please add all the b/w Sugimori avatars and all the Dream World avatars? Not sure if you're working on that but Bulbapedia as an example has them all and I'd quite like to use stuff like Futachimaru/Dewott and especially the beautiful Dream World artwork as avatars.

Thank you for your time.
    We'll get on it

Question: how can changing a persons username cause problems? It's just changing one field in the database, right?

It's a shame, I'd like to change my username too

Changing one field in the database is fine. Changing 500 names in the database, one by one, because that's how many people want their names changed, is not fine.

end of discussion.

Banner Count: 12

Sorry i asked.

Add new skins, you guys haven't in a while

We have custom avatars, a fantastic staff, and a great community! Join today!
    Say that "DiscoPichu" referred you!
    Credit to zhanton for sig.

That'll hopefully happen sooner or later after we decide to upgrade the forums or not.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast